• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CAPCOM CUP 2016 | Fighting Game Tournament | Dec 2-3 | WHENS MAHVEL?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
He's been experimenting and not playing to win 😙

He gave up on fucking around at the Asia Finals and went back to his Nash and got freed the fuck up regardless.

It's possible he's been sandbagging for 6 months, but it's more likely that everyone else has caught up.

jm89

My moneys on fuudo vs tokido final with fuudo taking it. The guile hype won't last long people will figure him out, tokido already preparing for that.

My moneys on fuudo vs tokido final with fuudo taking it. The guile hype won't last long people will figure him out, tokido already preparing for that.

zzy0r5G.jpg

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Daigo has been amazing in USF4. Won several Topanga leagues, many tournaments and got 2nd place at last year's Capcom Cup, too.

Daigo has been amazing in USF4. Won several Topanga leagues, many tournaments and got 2nd place at last year's Capcom Cup, too.

Yeah it's weird how people underrate Daigo in SF4 when he was better than Infil almost every year. Especially in USF4 where he had better results the last 2 years than practically everyone, but Momochi. 2013 was his real down year even though he had some good performances (top 8 at evo, dreamhack, +more). That was the year he was doing those arcade tours and book advertisements.

Having said that I think Daigo will get bopped this year. I follow the patterns sons. Daigo got 2nd at 25th anniversary (the capcom cup before capcom cup), went 1-2 in Capcom Cup 2014, got 2nd at Capcom Cup 2015, and now he's going to go 1-2 at this year's capcom cup.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Xiao Hai clearly gonna win it

Yup or some Necalli player.

Didn't someone on Reddit tally up all of Daigo's matches over the years and he had a winning record vs basically everyone except 2 or 3 people?
I believe that in FGC terms that qualifies as: Washed up and fray

eggandI

Banned
Didn't someone on Reddit tally up all of Daigo's matches over the years and he had a winning record vs basically everyone except 2 or 3 people?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Me too. But he has to (probably) beat Luffy, Infiltration, Daigo and Momochi to get into winners final. It's brutal.

Me too. But he has to (probably) beat Luffy, Infiltration, Daigo and Momochi to get into winners final. It's brutal.

He has a tough bracket. Mago himself said that he struggles vs Mika and Infiltration isn't a cake walk. I think he can easily handle Daigo. So even though Daigo is better than Luffy, Luffy I think would give him a harder time.

It's all about matchups.
Luffy > Mago
Mago > Daigo
Daigo > Infil
Daigo > Luffy

At least that's how it's been this year.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm wondering if we're going to have a Keoma this year. All those upsets last year.. shit was crazy.
Best bet is DR Ray, I think. His Vega is amazing. Or maybe Kbrad if he has an outstanding day.

Honestly, the whole thing is made for upsets. Players like Problem X, Brolynho or Ryan Hart can always eliminate some top pros.

Best bet is DR Ray, I think. His Vega is amazing. Or maybe Kbrad if he has an outstanding day.

Honestly, the whole thing is made for upsets. Players like Problem X, Brolynho or Ryan Hart can always eliminate some top pros.

I think DR. Ray was that guy too, but the fact that he has Tokido in the first round sucks. Daigo and Tokido have their way with Nemo so I think the matchup sucks.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I think DR. Ray was that guy too, but the fact that he has Tokido in the first round sucks. Daigo and Tokido have their way with Nemo so I think the matchup sucks.
Yeah, Tokido first round is brutal, but the whole tournament is lol

He also destroyed Kbrad 6-0 or something and he has good Vega experience.

The difference it that Tokido had a lot of time to prepare.

Lulubop

Tokdio said Fuudo is the best in Japan recently? I know Fuudo has been mad low key in the last few months

Anyway, I like Du vs anyone but Tokido or Fuudo

FinKL

Oh dang, they are doing top 32 to 8 all day today? Will listen in for sure for the blowups
Infil taking it with every character

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Fuudo, Momochi and Infiltration have been hiding. Infil talked about preparing for Capcom Cup months ago.

And remember when Momochi lost to Xiao Hai and then gained like 10,000 LP to become the first master rank online in like two days out of frustration? These guys are ready.

Coda

Tokdio said Fuudo is the best in Japan recently? I know Fuudo has been mad low key in the last few months

Anyway, I like Du vs anyone but Tokido or Fuudo

I wouldn't be surprised if Fuudo wins it, but honestly anything can happen when you have such a high caliber player pool.

LakeEarth

Yeah, everyone is too good to possibly know who is going to win. You could probably choose a "safe" set of 3-4 players (like Infiltration, Fuudo, Daigo, Momochi), but even then I would say there's a good chance it won't be any of them either.

Not really looking forward to the meltdowns over "randoms vs capcom 4". People are going to be so salty that their favourite anime characters are missing.

The reactions are gonna be even worse than when we've gone from MVC 2 to MVC 3 when the characters were announced for the latter game.

Sheroking

Yeah it's weird how people underrate Daigo in SF4 when he was better than Infil almost every year. Especially in USF4 where he had better results the last 2 years than practically everyone, but Momochi. 2013 was his real down year even though he had some good performances (top 8 at evo, dreamhack, +more). That was the year he was doing those arcade tours and book advertisements.

Having said that I think Daigo will get bopped this year. I follow the patterns sons. Daigo got 2nd at 25th anniversary (the capcom cup before capcom cup), went 1-2 in Capcom Cup 2014, got 2nd at Capcom Cup 2015, and now he's going to go 1-2 at this year's capcom cup.

They feel that way because Daigo's performance in international tournaments, particularly US majors, hit a huge wall in 2011/2012 and he never really recovered his dominance over here. Infiltration meanwhile dominated in 2012 and 2013, and Momochi carried 2014.

To go from the unequivocal best to "could place top-8 or could place 256th at EVO" is a big step down on what people wanted or expected of him, even if his actual performance was better than it seemed.

jm89

Kinda shitty timing to start the tournament. In the US it's during working hours(east coast i guess really early morning) and here in the UK its right after work. Probably gonna miss an hour.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Kinda shitty timing to start the tournament. In the US it's during working hours(east coast i guess really early morning) and here in the UK its right after work. Probably gonna miss an hour.
It's a 14 hour stream. There is no good timing

They feel that way because Daigo's performance in international tournaments, particularly US majors, hit a huge wall in 2011/2012 and he never really recovered his dominance over here. Infiltration meanwhile dominated in 2012 and 2013, and Momochi carried 2014.

To go from the unequivocal best to "could place top-8 or could place 256th at EVO" is a big step down on what people wanted or expected of him, even if his actual performance was better than it seemed.
But it didn't in 2011 or 2012. In 2011 he got 3rd at SBO, 4th at EVO, and won a few tournaments. In 2012, he had a streak of like 20+ games without dropping a game at the Japan nationals and 25th anniversary global finals which got him 1st and 2nd. Fuudo was the 3rd best player that year winning Topanga League over Daigo and yet Daigo was making him look free at the end of 2012. He got 5th at EVO, among other performances. He was the 2nd best player in 2012 and if not for Infiltration, people would be talking about how great Daigo was in 2012. In my eyes, that just makes Infiltration's 2012 even more impressive.

Only 2013 was a down year for Daigo and that was the year he promoted his book and the arcade tour. That was also the year he did the Gunslinger Stratos shit. However, 2013 was also the year Daigo made Infil and Xian look free.

So apart from 2013, it is easily arguable that Daigo was top2-3 in the year.

In my eyes this is how I viewed the years of SF4 (no order) through looking at results of arcade rankings early on, sbo, evo, topanga, global finals, etc...
2009: Daigo, Mago, Momochi,
2010: Daigo, Sako, Mago, Kindevu?,
2011: Daigo, Poongko, Fuudo, Kazunoko,
2012: Daigo, Infiltration, Fuudo,
2013: Xian, Infiltration, Daigo, Bonchan, Sako
2014: Momochi, Luffy, Bonchan, Daigo,
2015: Momochi, Daigo, Kazunoko

SFV
2016: Infiltration, Tokido, Fuudo, Momochi, Xiaohai,

Then again, I've always held the Topanga League and Gods Garden tournaments in high regard. Not only because of the prize money, but also due to the format and competition. It tests you how great you are at both short and long sets.

Top Bottom