• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carmageddon: Max Damage |OT| End Pedestrian Safe Zones

DryvBy

GwLiVVY.jpg

What Is it?
A racing game where you get points for running over loser pedestrians. And animals. And you can just blow everyone up and finish the race with ease.

Wait, what?
Yes.

Anyone buying this game is sick! This is just too much!
<--- See this? Probably not. It's a small violin. You can exit here.

How's multiplayer?
I'll be able to confirm later after I play this, but Speed Racer here has found some video showing no pedestrians will be running around on the track while racing in multiplayer. Which kind of knocks half the reason to play. I'd like to remind everyone that Carmageddon 1 & 2, maybe even the awful TDR 2000, had peds running around while racing in multiplayer.

Any trailers I can check out?
Sure. Click this animated GIF.

Where can I buy this game?
Steam Link
PS4 Amazon | GameStop | Best Buy
XB1 Amazon | GameStop | Best Buy

Carmageddon 2 was one of my favorite games back in the day.

Is this one any good?
If I'm not mistaken this is a "fixed" version of Reincarnation

My understanding is it's essentially the same as the old games, but updated for modern tech. More pedestrians, crazier damage model, etc

I think it's safe to assume that if you liked 1 and/or 2 you'll probably find some enjoyment here.

If console performance is good I might give this a go if its good.

Played a bunch of the original 2 games as a kid
All of the footage out there right now is from the console release, the devs have been streaming the PS4 version as well. It's all archived on their youtube page

https://www.youtube.com/user/CarmageddonVideo/videos

Everything looks so gruesome and heavy, and they've added back the proper dynamic deformation/cutting of vehicles. I can't wait for the PC release.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
As a long time fan of Carmageddon, since the first, this is one of the few things I've Kickstarted. It had a bit of a rough start, but it's still plenty of fun. I'm just waiting on the PC version of the Max Damage edition, which is unfortunately coming at some point after the console versions, before putting more time into it.

Shaneus

Any idea when Reincarnation PC owners will be getting the upgrade to Max Damage? I can't see anything mentioned anywhere.

Edit:
Taken from the Live-stream on June 17th

"The PC version of Max Damage? Some of you are speculating that it will be months and months and months off. It won't be months and months and months off. But, there needs to be a gap of exclusivity for Max Damage on Console before it comes to PC. I'm sure the date for that will be announced pretty soon after the console launch."

"Linux? Linux is being discussed, and how the game is going to come to linux is being sorted out. We may even have the people to do that lined up. So yep, that is still on the cards, we haven't forgotten it, obviously Mac & Linux."
(From nobby) Hey starbuck - I'm really glad to see that you got confirmation of your bonus. Much as I'd love to take credit, all I can say is that I (and Stainless) have had no direct control over the processes of the physical game's publication and (as you know) have had some hiccups in comms both with Sold Out and you guys along the way to release.

I can confirm that the game will be released on the 5th July in the States. We haven't made an announcement about this because 1. again it was news we got very late, 2. trumpeting it would likely make everyone else upset that some people were getting it 3 days earlier, 3. the only reason it's happening is because... America, 4. so, it's just a nice surprise for you Stateside folk and 5. let's just leave it at that!

The reason that the PC release doesn't coincide with the console release is firstly that we agreed this with Sold Out, who understandably asked for a period of exclusivity for console sales. But more importantly than that - the PC version isn't ready yet! All of our efforts have been focused on completing the console titles, and now all the work done on those has to be rolled into the PC version, with the cycles of code-munging, testing, bug-fixing that entails. This work has only recently begun.
Fuck. So despite backing the Kickstarter, we get dicked around. Awesome.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
Any idea when Reincarnation PC owners will be getting the upgrade to Max Damage? I can't see anything mentioned anywhere.

Edit:

Fuck. So despite backing the Kickstarter, we get dicked around. Awesome.

It's unfortunate, but if you want to make some flammable lemons out of regular lemons you can look at it this way. At least the additional development for more platforms, that added new content and refined the game, means a better game than the original KS backers would have gotten otherwise. They/we just need to wait a little longer for it.

Yeah, Stainless had no option but to set a timed exclusivity for the console editions.

Concerning the release of the game (Damn you USGaf, you get to play the game 3 days earlier than us! Hope you get run down by a red car armed with a huge blade and driven by a bald guy with a prosthetic arm!), nobby mentioned that there would be a patch out on release day that would fix some bugs and improve performance (The version they have been showing is the final on-disc version we are getting).

I am not sure if this patch will be out today or if it will be out this Friday (i.e. the day the game releases worldwide).

If you guys notice performance issues I assume they will be fixed by Friday.

Also, looking forward to impressions for the Xbone versions (we haven't seen anything of it and that's what I am getting)

My kind of game! I especially love doing random shit to the people in GTA and Carmageddon II was the game that made me realize how much fun driving like an asshole and running over folks in a videogame is. I'll for sure be getting this if it doesn't play like absolute shit (just play shitty and I'm getting it).

Un4

Got this coming in today for PS4, already available on some online shops in Europe. Ordered it based on the name and boxart alone so i hope it's any good. Still remember playing the first one twenty (!!) years ago.

is reincarnation any good? do we get max damage for free for owning it?

Reincarnation was steadily patched from completely unplayable at release to quite decent today, and owners of Reincarnation will get Max Damage sometime down the dismembered pedestrian-strewn road after a limited period of console exclusivity has ended.

aravuus

Reincarnation was pretty terrible around its release and only made me go back to Carma 2. Really hoping this one is going to be good.

Now just gimme the goddamn PC version people dang it

MrS

Banned
Are we expecting any reviews for this? Would like to know what I'm getting in to before parting ways with some cold, hard cash.

prudislav

Reincarnation was pretty terrible around its release and only made me go back to Carma 2. it
it received some heavy patching since release and its quite fine now and possibly from the impressions about Max Damage on forums its even better now
But still doubt it will run good on XO

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
How's the replay feature on consoles? Does it let you actually save the replay files or are they just relying on the console to capture the video while you play it back?

Man, I Kickstarted this and by the time it released I was sort of....over it? I'm not sure why. Perhaps this new and improved version will get me back into it.

aravuus

Man, I Kickstarted this and by the time it released I was sort of....over it? I'm not sure why. Perhaps this new and improved version will get me back into it.

Having to wait so very long for the game to be actually functional does that to people. I feel the same way about Wreckfest. Everything's taken so long that I just don't care what happens to it anymore.

stuminus3

Waiting for the impressions of Carmageddon fans on this one, I have a feeling in my gut that this game will give the gaming press seizures.

Carnby

I can't find much info on the single player modes. Is there a story or an end goal? Or do you play tracks and that's it?

I can't find much info on the single player modes. Is there a story or an end goal? Or do you play tracks and that's it?
I think it's just unlocking cars by wrecking them

There are different modes for each of the tracks but there's no real campaign or anything

You have to advance through tiers, in order to advance through tiers you need to gather "x" amount of credits in order to unlock the next one, each tier has a defined set of events which you can complete or just focus on the event you like the most. The game ends once Tier16 has been completed.

Cars can be aquired when they are "Stealworthy", which depends on the car and tier you are currently in. You have to destroy them to aquire them, and the possibility of them being Stealworthy is randomised.

There's 6 kinds of events:
Classic Carma
Death race
Checkpoint stampede
Ped chase
Car crusher
Fox 'n hounds

Top Bottom