• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carmageddon: Max Damage |OT| End Pedestrian Safe Zones

Are we expecting any reviews for this? Would like to know what I'm getting in to before parting ways with some cold, hard cash.

If there are reviews, they're probably going to be shit. Jeff Gerstmann shat on Reincarnation because "the market just isn't there" or some idiocy like that.

Codiox

I'm loving this game but it will bomb hard. Only the old school fans will even notice the game. Really sad.

Niche doesn't equal no market.

Just another reason to add to the list of why I hate GiantBomb. Sheesh.

Oh, don't worry, he said the same thing about the SOCOM spiritual successor, too. I don't want to derail the thread, but that is such a laughably illegitimate complaint.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just a heads up so folks keep expectations in check

They confirmed multiplayer will be 6 players and no pedestrians.....so yeah

It's in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_sOJbCiGKo

I don't care too much but it definitely removes most of the appeal from multiplayer

Stainless said the following about pedestrians in Reincarnation MP last year:

I'm guessing the idea was later shelved entirely. The issue was likely syncing pedestrian ragdoll physics across several clients, as theorised in the thread, but I think people would be happy with a simpler approach or even no pedestrian physics whatsoever if it meant the viable inclusion of pedestrians.

Honestly I'm enjoying the controls a lot on PS4. It's loose enough to slide around, but you can still hold L2 and Circle to keep it tight around small corners.

Load times aside I'm loving the shit out of this game right now. It's the definition of mindless fun. Plus you can play the game pretty much any way you want.

Taking first place racing, destroying every opponents car, or killing the hundreds of pedestrians littered across the streets. You will get rewarded no matter how you choose to play.

The maps are really large with an encouragement on exploration. In the first level you will be directed to find the sports stadium where you can interrupt a nice game of football.

It feels like the old PC days when I would spend hours driving around the levels just causing insane havoc. Some of the powerups are damn hilarious. Making everyone on the street break into dance, or sending them flying into the air with a ridiculously large spring. It's all amazing.

Hopefully the MP is still fun even without the pedestrians.

If there are reviews, they're probably going to be shit. Jeff Gerstmann shat on Reincarnation because "the market just isn't there" or some idiocy like that.
I like Giant Bomb but yeah, it's the same thing as them (and others) saying "we've moved past games like Twisted Metal"

Yeah cars blowing things up, where's the fun

Thanks for the impressions HeavyD!

Seems impossible to finish the free roam levels by just kills peds. Lol

Yeah, it's sometimes really hard to find the last peds. There should be powerups to show peds on map and also useful ped seeking powerups. But you'll have to scout them out and find where they are in a level.

dreamfall

Wait, are the console versions a stabler version of the PC Kickstarter? Is the PC version getting an update? How about framerate - is it stable?

Wait, are the console versions a stabler version of the PC Kickstarter? Is the PC version getting an update? How about framerate - is it stable?

A lot of the game was rewritten. Just think of it as an expansion to reincarnation. PC owners of reincarnations will get this version for free at some point, there's a window of console exclusivity for it they somehow agreed to from the publisher. Tsc tsc.

dreamfall

A lot of the game was rewritten. Just think of it as an expansion to reincarnation. PC owners of reincarnations will get this version for free at some point, there's a window of console exclusivity for it they somehow agreed to from the publisher. Tsc tsc.

Ah, interesting - thanks for clearing that up. I feel like if I don't pick it up sooner than later, the game will disappear / me being paranoid. I would like to wait for the PC update, but maybe I'll go in on PS4.

RawNuts

This is out already? I grabbed a digital copy for Xbone and it says it doesn't unlock until the 8th. Physical copies released first? :/

Seems impossible to finish the free roam levels by just kills peds. Lol
Is that car that permanently zaps peds with electricity still in? It's the only way I finished levels in that manner.

Magitex

I'm guessing the idea was later shelved entirely. The issue was likely syncing pedestrian ragdoll physics across several clients, as theorised in the thread, but I think people would be happy with a simpler approach or even no pedestrian physics whatsoever if it meant the viable inclusion of pedestrians.
Honestly they could just track damage on peds and not bother to synchronize movement at all and it would be a hell of a lot better than what they've got now.
I can't really fathom why physics are even involved in the discussion - the only 'physics' are ragdolls and once a pedestrian is hit it doesn't make any difference what direction a corpse moves in. Tracking 'hundreds' of objects is not particularly difficult either, because they don't move erratically and don't need to be moving when at distance, you send the vector to clients (wow 12 bytes or something) and when their direction changes; but nope, it is unpossible.

Maybe for the next Carmageddon title eh..

Lego Boss

Honestly I'm enjoying the controls a lot on PS4. It's loose enough to slide around, but you can still hold L2 and Circle to keep it tight around small corners.

Load times aside I'm loving the shit out of this game right now. It's the definition of mindless fun. Plus you can play the game pretty much any way you want.

Taking first place racing, destroying every opponents car, or killing the hundreds of pedestrians littered across the streets. You will get rewarded no matter how you choose to play.

The maps are really large with an encouragement on exploration. In the first level you will be directed to find the sports stadium where you can interrupt a nice game of football.

It feels like the old PC days when I would spend hours driving around the levels just causing insane havoc. Some of the powerups are damn hilarious. Making everyone on the street break into dance, or sending them flying into the air with a ridiculously large spring. It's all amazing.

Hopefully the MP is still fun even without the pedestrians.

This is good news. My bro and I have this on pre-order (UK).

Are the maps different from the original incarnation(!) or are they all new?

Looking forwards to playing something with mindless fun seeing as the whole country has lost its mind . . . .

i have reincarnation on PC, and just want to chime in that it is great fun

it was in pretty bad shape earlier on, but it has been optimized a lot and runs great on my rig now

Lego Boss

OK, so is this not out in the US then?

Or is it global release on Friday? Not really sure WTF is going on here, as people on this OT have said they have played it, but there's no reviews.

Odd.

DryvBy

It's just weird because Carmageddon 1 & 2 both have peds running around.

OK, so is this not out in the US then?

Or is it global release on Friday? Not really sure WTF is going on here, as people on this OT have said they have played it, but there's no reviews.

Odd.

It's out now on console.

Un4

Played a few hours and it is really like the classic Carmageddon games, with some new game modes.

Game runs pretty well on PS4 after the 1.2 patch. Graphics are not that great though.

Can't wait to get stuck into this, Carmageddon 2 games with my older brother are some of my fondest gaming memories.

Loved, LOVED all the cars in Carma 2 (especially the coach and the Truck from the Mother Trucker level).

Also, imagine my surprise years later when I 'discovered' Iron Maiden only to find most of the tracks triggered memories of Max Damage!!

Can.not.wait.

Just reserved the only copy in stock for ps4 at my local EB games. this will be my first ever carmageddon game. Quick question are the races go from point A to point B? or is it open worldish objectives?

DryvBy

Just reserved the only copy in stock for ps4 at my local EB games. this will be my first ever carmageddon game. Quick question are the races go from point A to point B? or is it open worldish objectives?

It's open world but definitely point A to B. There's a clear track but there's a point to having this open world. It's a mix of a racing game and a vehicular combat game. It's really unique. Most of the time, you're going to try to destruction derby the other cars before finishing a race. Or just blow them up to win lol.

Top Bottom