• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carmageddon: Max Damage |OT| End Pedestrian Safe Zones

Enjoying it a lot so far, although I definitely preferred the format of CM2's campaign where you'd have 3 classic Carma races, followed by one mission. Had to make a Spotify playlist with Iron Maiden tracks as well, doesn't feel right playing Carmageddon without them haha.

Last night an opponent activated pinball mode during play, I flew all over the place. My car was literally torn in half. Lol

Yeah, these. Can't find them in-game nor listed in the store. I pre-ordered digitally; anyone else have this issue?

Are you sure the digital version came with the preorder bonus? It would be fucked up if it didn't, but I looked at that preorder listing in the Xbone store and it didn't say anything about a bonus.

Jarrod38

PIcked it up tonight and enjoying it so far. Not the greatest game but this maybe the last time we may ever get a Carmageddon game.

Looked for some videos on this game, found a gem. Couldn't stop laughing. https://youtu.be/ev0kJme615g

:-DD beautiful

Their bootleg Fear Factory music is hilarious

they had their actual zero signal instrumental from carmageddon1 in at least the early versions of reincarnation, not sure if it's still in there. used to love the original carmageddon1 music, not the fear factory tracks, but those weirder tracks by lee groves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkUHZlOCHrg&list=PL379037A9EE8CE9A0&index=2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J43vDrDlRI&list=PL379037A9EE8CE9A0&index=3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBqZWMWCLDY&list=PL379037A9EE8CE9A0&index=5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEQddG7zrDY&list=PL379037A9EE8CE9A0&index=6

classic 90s breakbeat nonsense

Jarrod38

The one issue I have with the game is the AI just feels cheap. It's either one car smashing you the entire race or it's everyone ganging up on you.

What a surprise.
This game is good, the production values is not but who cares when the fun is so high?

Shame on the reviewers that don't want to learn how to drive in this game.

RawNuts

Shame on the reviewers that don't want to learn how to drive in this game.
I hate to shame people for how they play a game, but skimming the video reviews in the review thread makes me look like Mario Andretti.
Being a huge fan of driving games though, I'm already used to the running gag that is most of the gaming press playing driving games. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jarrod38

The one game mode I hate is Checkpoint Stampede. That mode makes no sense at all. All the checkpoints are either right next to each other or far apart.

The one issue I have with the game is the AI just feels cheap. It's either one car smashing you the entire race or it's everyone ganging up on you.

They react to what you do, and will take revenge. If they had a little line explanation of what the AI is up to, like they had in carmageddon2 directly on the hud maybe it'd make a bit more sense.

The one game mode I hate is Checkpoint Stampede. That mode makes no sense at all. All the checkpoints are either right next to each other or far apart.

Scoping out the levels, so you know where powerups like pelvic thrust, slaughter mortar or anvil launcher is is super useful in that mode. So you can smash the top point scoring car and steal points. Opponent tosser is great too, if there's a low ceiling.

I'm only up to the third tier of the campaign, but I'm not liking it very much. The controls suck, the AI is borderline awful and it's not a well made game at all.

I may power through the campaign, but I worry it'll get super cheap at the end.

DJ_Lae

How do the changes/improvements from Reincarnation fare?

This OT actually inspired me to fire the PC version of Reincarnation back up, as it was pretty awful the last time I tried. To my surprise, other than the horrible load times it's actually become quite playable, with a decent framerate and gameplay very close to Carmageddon 2.

It's obviously not for everyone but man is it bringing back memories. Not sure if I should keep playing or just wait for the PC release of Max Damage.

Lego Boss

It's like driving on a stick of butter, or on an ice rink.

Much as l want to like this game, it just shows how far games have come in the last 20 years or so.

I love retro gaming but simulating retro gaming dies feel a little flimsy especially when the result is like this. The handling is poor and the landscapes feel devoid of life.

Doom has shown how updates can/should be done. I know the budget is different, but it still feels like a missed opportunity. We can only hope that if enough copies are sold they make a good fist of a potential sequel.

Much as l want to like this game, it just shows how far games have come in the last 20 years or so.

I love retro gaming but simulating retro gaming dies feel a little flimsy especially when the result is like this. The handling is poor and the landscapes feel devoid of life.

Doom has shown how updates can/should be done. I know the budget is different, but it still feels like a missed opportunity. We can only hope that if enough copies are sold they make a good fist of a potential sequel.

yeah, you have to brake to slow the car down and feather the throttle. what antiquated concepts.

Patrick S.

Banned
I was going to get this because I always loved Carmageddon, but honestly after what has happened in France, and also foolishly watching the horrible aftermath video, my perception of how much fun it is to simulate running people over has changed dramatically, and I don't think I want to play these games anymore.

finley83

Banned
I was going to get this because I always loved Carmageddon, but honestly after what has happened in France, and also foolishly watching the horrible aftermath video, my perception of how much fun it is to simulate running people over has changed dramatically, and I don't think I want to play these games anymore.

What happened in Nice is undeniably tragic. However, not letting your life be affected by the actions of a few terrible people is important.

Also Carmageddon is stupid as stupid can be.

I remember watching a commentary for one of the Bourne movies years back where the director said that after 9/11 he didn't think there would be any more explosions in action movies - people didn't want to be reminded of that day or take enjoyment from something similar to what they saw on the TV. Yet today that assessment couldn't be more wrong, explosions all over the place!

It's bad timing isn't it?

Patrick S.

Banned
What happened in Nice is undeniably tragic. However, not letting your life be affected by the actions of a few terrible people is important.

Also Carmageddon is stupid as stupid can be.

I remember watching a commentary for one of the Bourne movies years back where the director said that after 9/11 he didn't think there would be any more explosions in action movies - people didn't want to be reminded of that day or take enjoyment from something similar to what they saw on the TV. Yet today that assessment couldn't be more wrong, explosions all over the place!

I always loved Carmageddon, and splattering the pedestrians was always one of its funniest aspects for me. But the video of the events in France is one of those things that I will never be able to forget, and I wish I could unsee it. I know Carmageddon is only a bunch of pixels on a screen, but I don't want those images in my head anymore, and they'd be there all the time now while running over peds in Carmageddon. Maybe I'm being silly, but I don't find it "fun" anymore, knowing how horrible this is in real life.

aravuus

I always loved Carmageddon, and splattering the pedestrians was always one of its funniest aspects for me. But the video of the events in France is one of those things that I will never be able to forget, and I wish I could unsee it. I know Carmageddon is only a bunch of pixels on a screen, but I don't want those images in my head anymore, and they'd be there all the time now while running over peds in Carmageddon. Maybe I'm being silly, but I don't find it "fun" anymore, knowing how horrible this is in real life.

Nothing silly about that, people react to tragedies all in their own ways.

Calling out others for still enjoying the game despite the tragedy that has occurred would be silly, however.

Patrick S.

Banned
Nothing silly about that, people react to tragedies all in their own ways.

Calling out others for still enjoying the game despite the tragedy that has occurred would be silly, however.

Sure, as someone who plays and enjoys countless violent video games, it would never occur to me to judge someone for doing just that.

I don't know why this affected me this much. Because of the Internet I have seen so many gory images and videos of shootings that I have lost count, yet I have never had any problems or second thoughts about shooting up people of all sexes and ages in video games. But this stuff from France did something to me :(.

abracadaver

PC version is out now!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/505170/

Owners of Reincarnation get it for free.

Carmageddon: Max Damage for PC features 3 EXCLUSIVE NEW game modes:
Trumped-Up where every pedestrian is respectfully replaced by the Republican candidate for the U.S. Presidency.
Hillaryious in which you’ll meet nothing but duplicates of the Democratic candidate.
Mass Debate which features a politically correct balance of both candidates.

About fucking time. Trying to work out if I still even care about the game at this point.

Has anyone here tried it and can report back on performance?

It runs way better and smoother for me now.

But it looks like some GFX took a hit though, reflections seem lower res and looks like theres fewer blood particle effects. Animations sometimes look like they're rendered at 30fps.

c0Zm1c

Seems a lot better to me than Reincarnation from the short play I've just had. Performance is much more consistent. I think it looks a lot better too. Granted it's not going to win any graphics awards, but at least it looks more acceptable now than the rough mess it was before. I like it so far.

Stainless still has not delivered on the promised ports and physical rewards it promised 3+ years ago now and hasn't delivered an update to backers in 8 months. Today they just basically told backers they are working on what they promised with no specific dates or anything else. I would encourage everyone not to support a company that behaves like this with large sums of backer's money.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
About fucking time. Trying to work out if I still even care about the game at this point.

Has anyone here tried it and can report back on performance?

Seems good enough to me. Just make sure you turn off the depth of field. It's on all the time and makes things super blurry.

Here's a short replay to try out 4K. This is with the "best quality" preset except with DOF disabled. https://youtu.be/tYn42o0Iimc
Lots of settings in there still go higher.

Branson

Stainless still has not delivered on the promised ports and physical rewards it promised 3+ years ago now and hasn't delivered an update to backers in 8 months. Today they just basically told backers they are working on what they promised with no specific dates or anything else. I would encourage everyone not to support a company that behaves like this with large sums of backer's money.
As much as that sucks it's only $20. The game itself seems much improved so I'm supporting that since I never bought the original.

Samuray

Soooo......I'm probably just being an idiot but what exactly am I doing, or supposed to be doing right at the beginning? There's a lot of driving around in this kind of arena area with a football stadium and whatnot, and while it seems to be a race it's probably just a tutorial....?
Admittedly I was a bit distracted when playing it first but I'm hesitant to try again due to this profound feeling of confusion. I'm sure a small pointer what's going on would help a lot. :)

Soooo......I'm probably just being an idiot but what exactly am I doing, or supposed to be doing right at the beginning? There's a lot of driving around in this kind of arena area with a football stadium and whatnot, and while it seems to be a race it's probably just a tutorial....?
Admittedly I was a bit distracted when playing it first but I'm hesitant to try again due to this profound feeling of confusion. I'm sure a small pointer what's going on would help a lot. :)

The game is a mess like that.

I couldn't keep going.

Branson

The game is a mess like that.

I couldn't keep going.

You guys haven't played the original have you?

c0Zm1c

As well as better performance, load times are a lot better in Max Damage than Reincarnation too, thankfully.

Only briefly, a long time ago.

I'm fine with the game being a hot mess in general, I'd just like to SEE more of it, i.e. know what do at the start. :)

It depends on the type of race you are in. There is three ways of finishing a race in classic Carmageddon: wreck all opponents, finish the race or kill every pedestrian. But there are other point based matches.

Samuray

It depends on the type of race you are in. There is three ways of finishing a race in classic Carmageddon: wreck all opponents, finish the race or kill every pedestrian. But there are other point based matches.

Alright....but I'm not sure there even IS a match, right at the start. Seems more like a tutorial drivearound. There are racers going round, yes, but I don't think there's even a position on screen. Plus it's a huge area so killing every pedestrian would be quite an endavour. ^^

c0Zm1c

Alright....but I'm not sure there even IS a match, right at the start. Seems more like a tutorial drivearound. There are racers going round, yes, but I don't think there's even a position on screen. Plus it's a huge area so killing every pedestrian would be quite an endavour. ^^

If you're still on the very first race then you're probably just getting the tutorial pop ups. I think you can turn that off.

All of the races/matches take place in open arenas, just like the original games.

Shaneus

There's a splash screen before each race that tells you what needs to be done to complete the level, and if there's things like lap/checkpoint stealing etc.

I'm absolutely loving this. It's the game they should've released to start with, feels the same as the original and actually has some polish to it. Even runs quite well on my R9 280X, to my surprise.

Didn't even realise as well, but I still have two "gift" copies (I think) for the original Reincarnation. I suppose that also unlocks Max Damage on Steam too.

Top Bottom