• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania animated series producer wants to work on an adaptation of Metroid

Producer Adi Shankar just wrapped up the first season on Netflix’s Castlevania animated series, and he’s setting his sights on Assassin’s Creed next. Shankar also has interest in Nintendo franchises, as it turns out.

When asked about other game series he’d like to adapt while speaking with Nintendo Life, Shankar turned to Metroid. “Dark Metroid in the same anime style,” he responded.

With Nintendo more open to video content these days, perhaps the idea of Shankar working on Metroid isn’t entirely far-fetched. At the very least, he’d likely treat the IP well given the strong reception to Castlevania thus far.

http://nintendoeverything.com/castl...er-wants-to-work-on-an-adaptation-of-metroid/

I would actually like to see that. There's a lot of nice nods in the Castlvania anime. I still haven't finished the Castlevania netflix series(finished 2 of 4 so far), but like what I've seen thus far.

TimmiT

With Nintendo more open to video content these days, perhaps the idea of Shankar working on Metroid isn’t entirely far-fetched.
Not sure if Nintendo would be so open that they'd do super gory Metroid with lots of swearing, which is what I imagine Adi Shankar would want to do.

El Sabroso

Castlevania was very good, is a nice introduction, would love to see a Metroid series, more so if is an adaptation from the Manga which is very good too

Would be much better than an Assassins Creed could potentially be, however Nintendo sucks at their IP when it comes to stuff like this .

Hopefully happens imo.

Platy

Only if he later do a crossover and call it Metroidvania

Also, they should totoaly do a mostly silent adaptation of Super Metroid

Fireblend

Banned
I think a movie would be better. Still animated, of course. Maybe something like the Blame! movie, except with even less people.

I always thought that Castlevania was going to be a real live action series, was kinda sad when i saw it was just an animated series.

Yeah I think Metroid would work better as a movie, granted Castlevania practically was a movie split into 4 parts. Also, if they did they would DEFINITELY need to consult some of the devs (maybe Retro in fact) about the designs for enemies. Castlevania's were woefully generic despite the games having tons of cool designs

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
96qOE7r.jpg

HardRojo

Make it dark, do not use Other M's Samus as a reference at all, improve voice directing and I'm all in. Would fucking love this so much.

Nephtes

If they make this I hope they do something artsy where there's no talking the entire show... And the whole thing is just set to music.

Except the the intro..the intro can mention that the last Metroid is in captivity...

Mesoian

I would love love LOVE an anime adaption of the Metroid manga.

It's REALLY good. It's so good it makes the Adam Malkovich storyline make sense.

I don't know if the idea of a whole Metroid series would work too well. Maybe more of a single short?
Could be a short form series fleshing out her origins. Show off parts from her being raised by the Chozo to becomimg bounty hunter. Then wrap it up with her starting the mission from the first game.

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration
I really hope that wouldn't bog it down with a bunch of dialogue like castlevania. While it only bothers me slightly in castlevania, it would ruin metroid imo.

jtb

Banned
This sounds like a terrible idea.

Metroid Fusion is basically the maximum amount of story I will accept in a Metroid game. And even that was pushing it.

Parshias7

I don't know how good a Metroid animation would be because if they wanted to be faithful to the games it would just be two hours of Samus running around killing aliens with no dialogue.

Axass

How does a Metroid series work, considering that one of the best part of Metroid is the oppressive atmosphere and loneliness? Do you guys want Other M the series?

I'm not really sure if I would want that.

While I love Warren Ellis (and personally think Transmetropolitan to be one of the finest graphic novels ever made) and have huge respect for many of the people who worked on Castlevania TV... Castlevania animated series was a huge letdown for me, dialogue, pacing, animation were underwhelming IMO (though it had nicely drawn backgrounds, I liked the concept of the story and the intro sequence of episode 1 was quite nice).

I just don't think Metroid would fare better, really. Get Production IG, Sunrise or Madhouse instead, please. Or, if you want some stylistic freedom, hand it to whomever Shinichiro Watanabe would work with or Studio Trigger.

sanstesy

A true Metroid movie, nevermind series, would be so hard to pull off already. It's always been a cool idea in theory, though.

Castlevania didn't click for me in the way it seems to have for a lot of other posters. It felt like something I'd have loved when I was younger and getting introduced to anime by the stuff being put out by Manga in the UK, with relatively novel religious themes, gore, swearing and a slightly anti-heroic lead.

For me now though a lot of that feels pretty old hat, and together with the lack of classic Castlevania motifs/music/creatures etc. and the odd structure that seems to be down to the project being a rejig of an old Ellis film script it really just didn't work for me. I certainly wouldn't be keen on seeing the same approach taken with Metroid, a series I think is even less suited to that kind of interpretation than Castlevania.

I don't know how good a Metroid animation would be because if they wanted to be faithful to the games it would just be two hours of Samus running around killing aliens with no dialogue.

Have you ever watched Samurai Jack? Genndy Tartakovsky does an incredible job at minimal dialog and letting the visuals and sound design tell the story. Not to mention we have a Christopher Nolan movie, Dunkirk, where it seems like there's a pretty small amount of dialog in it overall so it could work

aadiboy

Do a season for each of the four games: Zero Mission, 2, Super, and Fusion. As long as they nail down the sense of isolation and don't try to insert unnecessary dialogue, it'll be fine.

Top Bottom