• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania animated series producer wants to work on an adaptation of Metroid

nkarafo

Bad idea. Metroid is not a character or dialogue driven series. There aren't enough characters either, for a reason. It's probably going to suck, just like OtherM. Or maybe not that much.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Bad idea. Metroid is not a character driven universe. There aren't enough characters either, for a reason. It's probably going to suck, just like OtherM. Or maybe not that much.

I mean my ideal Metroid show/movie would be something with little dialogue and like something like a mix of the forest scenes from Nausicaa with best elements of Samurai Jack but with a scifi edge and of course the Metroid aesthetic

I think it would be fucking excellent. Keep the plot/dialogue for the animated series, and then make the games ALL about the environmental story telling/atmosphere like Metroid Prime and Super Metroid.

This would be fucking awesome. Just keep Sakamoto away from it. Also, make it retcon Other M.

Opa-Pa

Y E S.

God, my first thought after checking Castlevania out was "A Metroid series by these guys would be excellent", so yes please.

Now, it could be fantastic just as it could be a train wreck... But I welcome the risk! They'd have to flip the action-dialogue ratio for sure though.

What kind of dark are we talking about here? A few dead Federation soldiers here and there? Samus' parents being burned alive? Samus losing her right arm below the elbow and wearing the arm cannon like a prosthetic.

Kinda wish I hadn't said that last one.

God yes. Do eeeeet.

I would actually like to see that. There's a lot of nice nods in the Castlvania anime.

I caught a few but I'm sure I missed more. I loved that he used basically all sub-weapons but the clock at some point in a natural way. And Alucard is just spot on.

Would be a great show but I want a Metroid movie though.

Castlevania is basically a movie split in four parts (which itself is one third of a movie trilogy, which is what Warren Ellis wanted to make, with season 2 being movies 2 and 3).

No anime pls

Live action Smash Bros shared universe GO

While I would love that, I don't think this is the team to do it. Their expertise seems to be with darker stuff, Smash is much more lighthearted.

Kebiinu

Banned
Would love to see them try their hand at this. Castlevania the series, was excellent. Especially regarding its source material. I'm sure they could make it work for Metroid.

Have her explore a planet/space colony. Tell the story through her excursions or internal monologue when the time calls. Have her get lost and encounter a familiar big bad. Spurring the rivalries throughout the Metroid series. Have her—briefly—encounter a survivor/fellow hunter where she acts coldly and on defense, because she's already lost so much with the Chozo. So she abandons the survivor, before getting too involved with her/his struggle. Later Samus finds said survivor remains, tracking her/his last moments until she finds the aggressor who savagely attacks her. She fights the battle attempting to avenge her humanity, kills the boss, but succumbs to a rage that leaves her empty.

There's so, SO much a creative mind could do with an animated/live action Metroid franchise. And the best part is that it could all be done with minimal dialogue or just ENOUGH dialog; dialog leaning less on exposition, and moreso on selective expression/conversation.

Village

Samus is a silent protagonist and tends to go on solo missions, how would that even work as a movie/series?

Though, it worked for the original Aeon Flux. "Plop."
Have you played metriod

She's talked multiple times

Before other m

She's talked in smash

What year is this, just have talk about the dank shit she exsperiences

jtb

Banned
have people even played Metroid games here?

and, more to the point, have you played Other M!??

Sometimes I wonder if Gaffers even knows why they like the franchises they love

Have you played metriod

She's talked multiple times

Before other m

She's talked in smash

What year is this

She really didn't.

Super Metroid literally has, what, 100 words of text total?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Give it to him.

You can kind of already imagine how a Metroid could work in exactly the same format.

Someone in the other Castlevania thread mentioned how it might be the best game -> TV/film adaptation ever. And I actually have to agree. It's because it's a really lateral move from game -> animation, and in this case they seem to nail the core tone of the game while not loading it up with either Hollywood bombast or anime cheese.

13ruce

Banned

She really didn't.

She does also talk in Metroid Fusion (more thoughts wise but still).

She does also talk in Metroid Fusion.

And in Zero Mission. And Super Metroid.

Prime 1 was this close to having an opening monologue done by Samus (Jennifer Hale even recorded it and everything, the file's in the game) but janked it at the last moment.

Ezalc

I mean, Samus blowing shit up would be fucking fantastic with the animation that Castlevania had. Have her just face the bosses of the original game or Super or Fusion and it'd be awesome to see.

Thing is that, it'd need to have very little dialogue and mostly just be eye candy between exploration and action scenes. I don't know if Shankar would be able to do a mostly visual story telling because Samus cursing up a storm would completely ruin the mood of the series if it were to happen.

Make it like the first like hour of Wall-e where there's basically no dialogue Shankar and you got something awesome on your hands.

jtb

Banned
And in Zero Mission. And Super Metroid.

Prime 1 was this close to having an opening monologue done by Samus (Jennifer Hale even recorded it and everything, the file's in the game) but janked it at the last moment.

And the game is significantly better for it.

Super Metroid does not have dialogue between the intro and the finale.

She does also talk in Metroid Fusion (more thoughts wise but still).

I'm a big Fusion apologist, but that game's plot is plenty cheesy and her monologues are overwrought and terrible. It actually has a pretty decent story (and closes the book on the franchise in a satisfying way) but its storytelling is not good. It beats you over the head with themes (and ~plot twist~ seeding) a more confident game (SUPER METROID) would have told via implication and enviornmental storytelling.

JCHandsom

JLijS.gif

Mathrin

After watching the Castlevania series earlier this week, I would be all for it. Was a really enjoyable watch!

jtb

Banned
In fact, I'll go one step further.

Metroid is one of the very few franchises which is perfectly suited to storytelling within the construct of a video game. Maybe the only franchise.

Think of all the games (TLOU, for one) that don't actually want to be video games, but rather films instead.

Metroid actually fits perfectly as a video game! Why shoehorn it into something else?!? How could you possibly capture the vibe of Metroid in a dialogue-driven medium?

I'll happily be the leader of the ~THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA~ bandwagon. Because it's a terrible idea.

Astral Dog

I mean my ideal Metroid show/movie would be something with little dialogue and like something like a mix of the forest scenes from Nausicaa with best elements of Samurai Jack but with a scifi edge and of course the Metroid aesthetic

Bad idea. Metroid is not a character or dialogue driven series. There aren't enough characters either, for a reason. It's probably going to suck, just like OtherM. Or maybe not that much.
They did a decent one about Castlevania so thats a weird concern

Arkeband

Banned
I can't wait for the episode where Samus and Mother Brain just kick each other in the nuts* and say fuck.

*them not having nuts will not deter the animators

Apt101

Metroid with a kind of Lensman anime style treatment sounds good, but I'd settle for the same look and feel of the Castlevania series.

jtb

Banned
They did a decent one about Castlevania so thats a weird concern

Castlevania has always put plot front and center in a very direct way. The problem with Castlevania wasn't that it didn't have a plot, but that its storytelling was usually broken and pretty terrible. It was never that it didn't have dialogue, but rather that it had some of the worst (or just worst translated, at least) dialogue ever to grace a video game.

"What is a man?" anyone??

Opa-Pa

She really didn't.

You say this like the reason the story in Other M was garbage is that Samus talked and not that it was written by a sexist asshat lmao.

Of course it can work if done well.

I like my Metroid games without dialogue too for the most part, but for an animated series if they were to keep it to a minimum and make sure it's well written, then sure, I welcome it.

A Metroid movie could be great. I remember when Nintendo was geared up to make it happen and then they just stopped talking about it. I'd take a show too if it didn't overstay its welcome.

jtb

Banned
You say this like the reason the story in Other M was garbage is that Samus talked and not that it was written by a sexist asshat lmao.

Of course it can work if done well.

Other M can be bad for more than one reason! Especially when it's really really bad.

Here's the thing: we already have seven games that define what Metroid is - and why it works. Other M, in addition to having a bad story, was also a bad Metroid game.

Of course this could be good. But for this to work, you would have to jettison much of what defines Metroid (again, not just "not Other M" but what has been established over seven games of material). To make it good, it wouldn't be Metroid. It's a Catch 22.

Kebiinu

Banned
In fact, I'll go one step further.

Metroid is one of the very few franchises which is perfectly suited to storytelling within the construct of a video game. Maybe the only franchise.

Think of all the games (TLOU, for one) that don't actually want to be video games, but rather films instead.

Metroid actually fits perfectly as a video game! Why shoehorn it into something else?!? How could you possibly capture the vibe of Metroid in a dialogue-driven medium?

I'll happily be the leader of the ~THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA~ bandwagon. Because it's a terrible idea.

Just because you aren't creative enough to see how Metroid could work in an alternative medium (it already has a great manga), doesn't mean everyone will hit those same road blocks. I didn't think Castlevania could work, or Silent Hill; but here we are.

I think it's a great idea, especially if they're respecting of the source material, and they care about doing the series justice. It does NOT have to be dialog driven, but a visual story can still be just as compelling as a dialog driven series.

You can watch a lot of excellent films completely muted, and still understand the story. What's stopping Metroid?

jtb

Banned
Just because you aren't creative enough to see how Metroid could work in an alternative medium (it already has a great manga), doesn't mean everyone will hit those same road blocks. I didn't think Castlevania could work, or Silent Hill; but here we are.

I think it's a great idea, especially if they're respecting of the source material, and they care about doing the series justice. It does NOT have to be dialog driven, but a visual story can still be just as compelling as a dialog driven series.

You can watch a lot of excellent films completely muted, and still understand the story. What's stopping Metroid?

I just find it redundant and pointless.

Top Bottom