• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania animated series producer wants to work on an adaptation of Metroid

jtb

Banned
So make a topic to wine about it, cause you already made your point clear in your first post. And now you're just repeating your stance, lol. Start a movement, homeboy.

Someone already created a thought for me to post my thoughts in: this one.

Opa-Pa

Other M can be bad for more than one reason! Especially when it's really really bad.

Here's the thing: we already have seven games that define what Metroid is - and why it works. Other M, in addition to having a bad story, was also a bad Metroid game.

Of course this could be good. But for this to work, you would have to jettison much of what defines Metroid (again, not just "not Other M" but what has been established over seven games of material). To make it good, it wouldn't be Metroid. It's a Catch 22.

Haha, I agree on Other M 200%, believe me, but that's not a can of worms I want to open (again!).

That being said, I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I think it could work if they were to do something smaller like a 5 episode animated epilogue for Prime 4, or an eventual 2D Metroid for Switch. Hell, they could adapt Fusion and it could work very well for the most part, I think. I believe some of the narrative elements in Fusion hurt the game a lot, but could work much better in a medium like an animated series.

I don't think Metroid /needs/ an adaptation like this, but the series wants to gather as much of a new audience as possible to remain profitable and not die again, and some fans clearly want it so I say why not.

Also given how respectful the Castlevania animation is of its source material, I'd imagine they wouldn't say they want to make a Metroid adaptation if they didn't already have an idea or two of how to make it work, but that's speculation.

120v

nintendo would never allow liberties to be made with metroid like netflix's castlevania took.

i wouldn't expect it to work under the same format unless it was live action/high budget

meerak

The atmosphere which could be achieved in a short animated series could be real interesting. I wouldn't mind an attempt at Metroid in this regard, but it would have to be something out of the ordinary I think. Samus would be have to somewhat devoid of personality / voice. A single 20-30 minute short might be better for that though then a real series, mini or not.

Macka

I'd be totally down for an almost silent-film style series, with minimal if any dialogue.

As soon as they try to introduce new characters or expand on people like Adam or Higgs though? Nah.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
They did a decent one about Castlevania so thats a weird concern

Yeah I've seen and loved it but I feel the isolation of the Metroid games is a big part of the game's atmosphere and much less a focus than Castlevania.

In fact, I'll go one step further.

Metroid is one of the very few franchises which is perfectly suited to storytelling within the construct of a video game. Maybe the only franchise.

Think of all the games (TLOU, for one) that don't actually want to be video games, but rather films instead.

Metroid actually fits perfectly as a video game! Why shoehorn it into something else?!? How could you possibly capture the vibe of Metroid in a dialogue-driven medium?

I'll happily be the leader of the ~THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA~ bandwagon. Because it's a terrible idea.

Now who's being overwrought

RRockman

Banned
In fact, I'll go one step further.

Metroid is one of the very few franchises which is perfectly suited to storytelling within the construct of a video game. Maybe the only franchise.

Think of all the games (TLOU, for one) that don't actually want to be video games, but rather films instead.

Metroid actually fits perfectly as a video game! Why shoehorn it into something else?!? How could you possibly capture the vibe of Metroid in a dialogue-driven medium?

I'll happily be the leader of the ~THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA~ bandwagon. Because it's a terrible idea.

Samurai jack exists, and there are entire episodes without dialogue, that get the point of solitude really freakin good. Please give it a watch if you already haven't and consider it. I would want Gennedy to head up a metroid adaption for sure.

Kneefoil

I'd be interested. I think Fusion would be the best suited Metroid game for an adaptation like this, but they would probably make the show about Metroid/Zero Mission, wouldn't they? With Castlevania they can start with 3 because that's when all of the game's main protagonists got their start, but Metroid's story always follows Samus Aran.

mas8705

Well Nintendo has expressed interest in wanting to adapt a few of their games into other medias, correct? Honestly the question is more of how long we will have to wait before we finally get it.

I know alot of people are still waiting for that Kid Icarus anime that we never got (in spite of how wonderful those shorts were from both Palutena and Link vs Pit with Palutena "showcasing" herself).

Kebiinu

Banned
Movies and animated series are visual mediums first and foremost. Dialog is not necessary to make a compelling story in said mediums. Dialog should add, and not subtract from the art. But in theory, a bad visual work is, one that can only be understood via dialog.

Hence why Metroid could, and should work. I understand us, as fans, want the series done justice. But the more exposure to the Metroid series, the better. Stop harping off Other M, because it's pointless. Completely different teams, medium, and interest.

Samus is due for a reboot, regardless. Starting with the 3DS game, into the Switch, into this series.

It could work y'all.

jtb

Banned
Samurai jack exists, and there are entire episodes without dialogue, that get the point of solitude really freakin good. Please give it a watch if you already haven't and consider it. I would want Gennedy to head up a metroid adaption for sure.

Gennedy was the first person I thought of too, definitely would have to be in that kind of vibe to have a shot at pulling it off.

Arzehn

How about finishing Castlevania first.

Rubs me the wrong way to already be thinking about another project when you should be concentrating on making this one good. Like is a season 3 of CV already off the table or what?

The Dink

I don't know how good a Metroid animation would be because if they wanted to be faithful to the games it would just be two hours of Samus running around killing aliens with no dialogue.

That...actually sounds like it would be pretty great in the right hands. Sense of atmosphere and isolation could drive the story to several action set-pieces. Orchestral Metroid tunes all the while. Though it also sounds like a recipe for disaster. I say they should try it. So long as we don't just get Samus falling through floor after floor until she gets to Mother Brain.

I would love love LOVE an anime adaption of the Metroid manga.

It's REALLY good. It's so good it makes the Adam Malkovich storyline make sense.

Hey now, don't go writing checks you can't cash. I'll have to check it out.

poodaddy

I'd rather Adi grab the rights to a Megaman X show from Capcom. Nintendo will never let him have the rights to super Metroid but Capcom probably would let him have the rights to make Megaman X fairly easily, I mean they're not doing anything with it right now anyway, and Megaman X's grim story line would fit perfectly with his "your childhood meets grimdark edgelord" kind of niche.

And the game is significantly better for it.

Super Metroid does not have dialogue between the intro and the finale.

I'm a big Fusion apologist, but that game's plot is plenty cheesy and her monologues are overwrought and terrible. It actually has a pretty decent story (and closes the book on the franchise in a satisfying way) but its storytelling is not good. It beats you over the head with themes (and ~plot twist~ seeding) a more confident game (SUPER METROID) would have told via implication and enviornmental storytelling.
Prime 1 was "significantly better" because it omitted a Samus monologue? Super Metroid is regarded as one of the best games of all time and it featured a lengthy monologue from Samus that was 5 times longer than what Prime's was going to be. You're saying SM would've been better if it lacked the monologue? Or is it just spoken dialogue you're against?

What I'm arguing is that Samus was never a silent protagonist until Prime happened. She just didn't have anyone to talk to before. By the time Prime 3 happened having Samus surrounded by characters speaking to her having her being a mute was jarring and dumb.

Either have her not speak because she doesn't meet other intelligent beings or give her dialogue. Don't half ass it. There's precedent in Samus talking. And that's even without Other M.

Prime 1 was "significantly better" because it omitted a Samus monologue? Super Metroid is regarded as one of the best games of all time and it featured a lengthy monologue from Samus that was 5 times longer than what Prime's was going to be. You're saying SM would've been better if it lacked the monologue? Or is it just spoken dialogue you're against?

...kinda.

Well, it's not so much that the monologue is there that's the problem, I just wish you had the option to skip it. Find it kinda annoying having to wait five minutes for the intro to end every time I replay the game.

I like how quick and to the point Zero Mission is, in comparison. One line from Samus and bam, the game begins.

jtb

Banned

What I'm arguing is that Samus was never a silent protagonist until Prime happened. She just didn't have anyone to talk to before. By the time Prime 3 happened having Samus surrounded by characters speaking to her having her being a mute was jarring and dumb.

Either have her not speak because she doesn't meet other intelligent beings or give her dialogue. Don't half ass it. There's precedent in Samus talking. And that's even without Other M.

Hey, I totally agree. Like I said, Metroid is about being dropped in alone in a hostile alien world. The perfect Metroid game should not have you talking to any NPCs.

Super Metroid's monologue was necessary to contextualize the game's plot because nobody played Metroid 2, but if the game could have pulled off storytelling without it? More power to them.

BriGuy

It could be great. Like Castlevania, the games aren't exactly known for their deep stories, but they have a great setting, premise and framework to work with. It wouldn't be too hard to stay faithful to the source material and still have a ton of room to exercise artistic license.

Trevor Belmont as a brash drunkard with a foul mouth? Well, who's to say that orange and tan sprite in Castlevania 3 wasn't?

Defect

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

DieH@rd

Banned
Castlevania was done because ages ago someone managed to get rights from Konami for a movie. After going through a lot of hands, they finally managed to morph it into a animated TV show.

Getting rights for Metroid would not be an easy task.

D.Lo

Ridley: We will destroy you!

Chozo: Your actions make Mother Brain want to PUKE!

Federation Marine: [three minutes of dialogue about having sex with a Draygon]

Top Bottom