• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 - |OT| - Dead and Loving It!

Shinta

Banned
So, I'm tracking down the
3rd acolyte after he fled. I'm in the arts district, right outside the entrance to the castle you start at in the beginning of the game in modern day. It showed a purple trail leading into a tall pile of rubble with smoke and fire, and I have no idea how to get up past this thing.

Help?

ZeroX03

Banned
So, I'm tracking down the
3rd acolyte after he fled. I'm in the arts district, right outside the entrance to the castle you start at in the beginning of the game in modern day. It showed a purple trail leading into a tall pile of rubble with smoke and fire, and I have no idea how to get up past this thing.

Help?

Go to the right, you should be able to go down an alley where you can mist form through a metal bar door and a cutscene should start. It's not very clear.

Shinta

Banned
Well, I finished it. Totally loved the game. 9/10. What an utterly fantastic game. That honestly might be one of the best final boss battles I've played.
The way you have to constantly use the mist rapidly to dodge unblockables, it's just amazing.
Really pushed me to the limit.

I can't wait for the DLC.

Who said there was an alternate ending a while back in this thread?

Maedhros

Well, I finished it. Totally loved the game. 9/10. What an utterly fantastic game. That honestly might be one of the best final boss battles I've played.
The way you have to constantly use the mist rapidly to dodge unblockables, it's just amazing.

I don't remember ever using mist form on this fight.

Shinta

Banned
I don't remember ever using mist form on this fight.

Wow, really?
I don't know how else you would dodge all those constant unblockables. We were just literally going back and forth each transforming into mist then striking, then dodging and occasionally a counter. It was just a super fierce fight. Can't say I've ever played a battle constantly going into mist like that, while the enemy does the same thing.

Ahasverus

Original ending

When Satan possesses Alucard, Gabriel forces the combat cross inside him, killing his own son again, and the spirit of human Trevor Belmont is seen ascending to heaven smiling at his father; however, the Combat Cross was destroyed, thus letting Gabriel with no chance of ever reuniting with his family or die, Dracula starts screaming like a maniac on the ground and the brotherhood of light captures him (with him giving not resistence) and scenes are shown of them torturing him braveheart style for many centuries, tearing off limbs, cutting him with knives until the end of time while Gabriel never gets the peace he wants.

Shinta

Banned
Original ending

When Satan possesses Alucard, Gabriel forces the combat cross inside him, killing his own son again, and the spirit of human Trevor Belmont is seen ascending to heaven smiling at his father; however, the Combat Cross was destroyed, thus letting Gabriel with no chance of ever reuniting with his family or die, Dracula starts screaming like a maniac on the ground and the brotherhood of light captures him (with him giving not resistence) and scenes are shown of them torturing him braveheart style for many centuries, tearing off limbs, cutting him with knives until the end of time while Gabriel never gets the peace he wants.

Holy shit lol. That's an amazing ending! If they do a sequel, somehow ... I guess I can forgive them for changing it. But man, the original is so much better.

Original ending

I cannot stress how much I hate that ending.

Original ending

Still makes me sad this ending wasn't the one we received :(

Shinta

Banned
If Mercury were totally cool they would include the ending as an extra fmv playing after making "the stake" a QTE.

Yeah, only time where you get the QTE successfully but it leads to the "bad" ending. Then have a trophy for each ending.

Could have been a cool twist for sure.

Maedhros

Wow, really?
I don't know how else you would dodge all those constant unblockables. We were just literally going back and forth each transforming into mist then striking, then dodging and occasionally a counter. It was just a super fierce fight. Can't say I've ever played a battle constantly going into mist like that, while the enemy does the same thing.

I just dogded. I never used Mist Form on any of the fights on this game, except Inner Dracul.

Voror

Yeah, I don't recall using mist for the final boss. Just dodged and jumped. Though that might have been a way to get through it quicker potentially since you could phase through the unblockable and then resume attacking immediately.

I don't really care for the original ending. It's just a bit too much and still doesn't feel like a good ending.

Shinta

Banned
Same here. I dodged almost exclusively.

Mist in combat is pretty fun. For example, those gigantic demons, when they gear up for their charge attack unblockable, just go mist and they run right through you.

There are a couple of moves it doesn't work on like the demon death explosion (green circular blast), which just seem more like glitches than anything else.

Mist in combat is pretty fun. For example, those gigantic demons, when they gear up for their charge attack unblockable, just go mist and they run right through you.

There are a couple of moves it doesn't work on like the demon death explosion (green circular blast), which just seem more like glitches than anything else.

It only works on physical moves, not "energy" moves

JohngPR

Just beat the game.

Enjoyed the game. Great boss fights, ran great on my PC, and I liked most of the story.

The ending was a let down...it kind of took away from what most of the story built up.

What did Gabriel see in the mirror before he broke it? I'm trying to figure out what part of the ending we supposedly had to think about to understand like Cox suggests.

Shinta

Banned
What did Gabriel see in the mirror before he broke it? I'm trying to figure out what part of the ending we supposedly had to think about to understand like Cox suggests.
I interpreted it as he destroyed it before he saw his new destiny. And he realized it's better to not know for sure.

JohngPR

I interpreted it as he destroyed it before he saw his new destiny. And he realized it's better to not know for sure.

I can see it being that.

It just seemed like he had some kind of reaction.

I liked a lot of the story regardless. Enjoyed the whole family thing and thought that they did a good job with Alucard's/Gabriel's relationship.

Another question, END GAME SPOILERS
why do you think Alucard felt the need to trick Satan into coming back in order for Gabriel to kill him? It seems to me like he only did it so Dracula would be gone for a long time, giving humanity a chance to thrive in his absence. Otherwise, Satan was already gone, making it a little weird to force him to come out just to kill him again, but for reals this time. Seems like the rules of immortality are a little wonky in the LOS universe.
:p

Shinta

Banned
I can see it being that.

It just seemed like he had some kind of reaction.

Yeah, I agree. I wish I knew for sure. Maybe he saw it starting to materialize an image that was different, and that was enough for him. I don't know for sure.

I liked a lot of the story regardless. Enjoyed the whole family thing and thought that they did a good job with Alucard's/Gabriel's relationship.

why do you think Alucard felt the need to trick Satan into coming back in order for Gabriel to kill him? It seems to me like he only did it so Dracula would be gone for a long time, giving humanity a chance to thrive in his absence. Otherwise, Satan was already gone, making it a little weird to force him to come out just to kill him again, but for reals this time. Seems like the rules of immortality are a little wonky in the LOS universe.
Yeah, there's a couple plot holes that I'm hoping the DLC fixes. My biggest issue is, why is Alucard working for Death, and how does Death not know who he is? That has to be in the DLC.

As far as the plan, it was kind of a rushed scene where they made the plan because it just happened so fast. I think the idea was, as long as the Prince of Darkness is alive, and is basically immortal and all powerful, Satan would never come back to the material realm. Instead, he would just corrupt the world from Hell, feeding the darkness in men's hearts and sending beasts and demons or whatever. But since he thinks Gabriel is dead, he thinks its finally safe to come back and finally rule. I guess it just takes him 500 years to gather the strength to do it.

If they ever did another one, I sure would love to see heaven and hell. Still no one really knows why God is so absent. That seems like a huge untold story.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Alucard's plan seemed to basically be wipe out Zobek and Satan back to back. Satan needed to come back to actually be killed off for real, instead of just killing off people trying to bring him back where he can still fuck stuff up from hell. This way there would be no evil ruling, and I imagine if Gabriel didn't have a change of heart he would attempt to kill him too.

As for why he worked with Zobek, I think the DLC should cover that. But I guess since he would be the one who actually took Dracula out he could have probably persuaded Zobek through that. Though considering how Zobek obviously was using Gabriel just to rule himself, Alucard wouldn't be okay with that. Since he can read minds I have no idea how he would pull that off.

Ahasverus

In the LoS Universe, Satan can't act from hell, he's trapped. He escaped the first time by casting the spell separating Heaven's power from earth. So as bringing Satan back is not an easy feat at all killing him again in earth AND his acolytes pretty much traps him in hell forever. Unless someone finds another way that is.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Just fought Viktor for the first time, gave him cure.... Still reaaaaally enjoying the game but how much further do I have?

Dark souls coming Thursday

I'm playing this game now and it's amazing -- both graphically and gameplay wise. I love his sword moves! They remind me a lot of Dante in DmC but more fleshed out. The game has so much polish that it's crazy. The art direction is incredible and the soundtrack is epic! I don't understand the low review scores for this game at all.. best game I've played this year so far..

Shinta

Banned
I just realized that if the demons hit you with the sticky green goop that binds you, you can just tap mist and you're free. You don't have to hit the button on display rapidly.

I'm playing this game now and it's amazing -- both graphically and gameplay wise. I love his sword moves! They remind me a lot of Dante in DmC but more fleshed out. The game has so much polish that it's crazy. The art direction is incredible and the soundtrack is epic! I don't understand the low review scores for this game at all.. best game I've played this year so far..

Totally agree. This game is so underrated from what I've read from critic reviews.

ZeroX03

Banned
I just realized that if the demons hit you with the sticky green goop that binds you, you can just tap mist and you're free. You don't have to hit the button on display rapidly.

Any holding move can be escaped through mist. If an enemy picks you up you can mist it too.

Tizoc

Final boss fight wasn't all that impressive.
Possessed Alucard had way too many unblockable attacks, when the fuck am I supposed to actually be able to damage him a lot if every time he's on the ground all he does is Schwing, Schwing, Schwing?
Yes I was able to damage him but the opportunity window was so small it was irritating

AHA-Lambda

actually something that bugged me but I forgot to ask before, considering heaven and hell are shown to be actual things in this universe. If dracula did kill himself wouldn't he arrive right at Satan's feet?

DJwest

Any holding move can be escaped through mist. If an enemy picks you up you can mist it too.

Looks like I underused Mist form, that's nice.

actually something that bugged me but I forgot to ask before, considering heaven and hell are shown to be actual things in this universe. If dracula did kill himself wouldn't he arrive right at Satan's feet?

oh come on now, Dracul did some good things (
also when he was Gabriel as well
), would you really condemn such a man/vampire/creature to hell !!

HYDE

Banned
I just started playing my purchased PS3 copy of this game two nights ago...after playing two nights and exploring like crazy I just beat
Carmilla and got the mist ability
. This game reminds me so much of how Darksiders 2 was to Darksiders 1...trying to make it overly epic and not changing a ton. It could be such an even more amazing game than it already is same with Darksiders 2. I am glad I picked it up and didn't wait, 'cause this is a great game I happily add to the collection of awesome action/adventure games.

ZeroX03

Banned
Dodge v. Mist v. Guard v. Somersault

• Mist for physical, dodge for magical/energy. The latter is rarer, you'll learn through experience.
  • Mist with void/chaos active, dodge when using whip/trying to build focus.
  • Mist keeps you close, which helps with void and chaos' weaker range.
  • While after a backward dodge, you're still in whip range.
  • If you mist too close to an enemy, when you come out you'll clip the enemy and get knocked back. You take no damage, but you lose your focus gauge.
  • Mist for bigger enemies, dodge for smaller. Dodge knocks small enemies down/can interrupt attacks.
  • Somersault works best on medium sized enemies. They turn a bit slower and you can still jump over them. Also works well on shield based enemies. Careful at walls though.
  • Somersault special moves do really good damage.
  • Somersault jumps change height based on the enemy. You can dodge many attacks, assuming they don't hit too high or at 360 degrees. Works best against single target.
  • Mist to get out of grabs/incapacitating attacks.
  • Enemies can attack through your mist and hit other enemies. Hint hint, shotgun enemy.
  • If an attack is blockable, use your guard obviously. Especially in the air. Air guard is really useful, don't forget it. Chaos + Triangle, Triangle after blocking clears out weak enemies really quickly too.
  • Bosses I tend to find mist better because they have wider and longer attacks that are harder to dodge, except for
    the final boss because it's much easier to attack him with the whip because he moves constantly and you don't want to get too close. I disliked the battle, it played down void+chaos and it was all about evade -> whip hit -> evade, repeat.
  • You can chain dodge into somersault and cancel most things into mist.
  • And don't forget your ice projectile and bats to slow down enemies if you're being overwhelmed.

Probably missing some stuff, apologies.

Shinta

Banned
Dodge v. Mist v. Guard v. Somersault

• Mist for physical, dodge for magical/energy. The latter is rarer, you'll learn through experience.
  • Mist with void/chaos active, dodge when using whip/trying to build focus.
  • Mist keeps you close, which helps with void and chaos' weaker range.
  • While after a backward dodge, you're still in whip range.
  • If you mist too close to an enemy, when you come out you'll clip the enemy and get knocked back. You take no damage, but you lose your focus gauge.
  • Mist for bigger enemies, dodge for smaller. Dodge knocks small enemies down/can interrupt attacks.
  • Somersault works best on medium sized enemies. They turn a bit slower and you can still jump over them. Also works well on shield based enemies. Careful at walls though.
  • Somersault special moves do really good damage.
  • Somersault jumps change height based on the enemy. You can dodge many attacks, assuming they don't hit too high or at 360 degrees. Works best against single target.
  • Mist to get out of grabs/incapacitating attacks.
  • Enemies can attack through your mist and hit other enemies. Hint hint, shotgun enemy.
  • If an attack is blockable, use your guard obviously. Especially in the air. Air guard is really useful, don't forget it. Chaos + Triangle, Triangle after blocking clears out weak enemies really quickly too.
  • Bosses I tend to find mist better because they have wider and longer attacks that are harder to dodge, except for
    the final boss because it's much easier to attack him with the whip because he moves constantly and you don't want to get too close. I disliked the battle, it played down void+chaos and it was all about evade -> whip hit -> evade, repeat.
  • You can chain dodge into somersault and cancel most things into mist.
  • And don't forget your ice projectile and bats to slow down enemies if you're being overwhelmed.

Probably missing some stuff, apologies.

Nice. Any tips for those
giant green blast waves from the dark saints when they go horizontal? On PoD, they get me with that a fair amount.

I just can't get my head around the confusing combat mechanics. This is from someone who loved the first game and played through it on the hardest setting.

I have just defeated the second boss in the factory. But I'm struggling to figure out how to power my blue sword or keep it powered or even be able to use it!

The game doesn't always let me use my blue sword but I don't really know why? You need to have the red meter charged up some right? But how do you get it higher? What makes it go up and down? The tutorial told me once but theres no way to check all this info again.

Sometimes the red meter goes up by itself other times it only goes up when I suck in those red orb thingies floating around after I kill a enemy (which also are confusing because I don't really know what they are for either?).

There are so many button combinations to select different abilities and weapons and different combinations of moves depending on what you have equipped its all a bit too obtuse and fiddly for a action game.

Shinta

Banned
I just can't get my head around the confusing combat mechanics. This is from someone who loved the first game and played through it on the hardest setting.

I have just defeated the second boss in the factory. But I'm struggling to figure out how to power my blue sword or keep it powered or even be able to use it!

The game doesn't always let me use my blue sword but I don't really know why? You need to have the red meter charged up some right? But how do you get it higher? What makes it go up and down? The tutorial told me once but theres no way to check all this info again.

Sometimes the red meter goes up by itself other times it only goes up when I suck in those red orb thingies floating around after I kill a enemy (which also are confusing because I don't really know what they are for either?).

There are so many button combinations to select different abilities and weapons and different combinations of moves depending on what you have equipped its all a bit too obtuse and fiddly for a action game.

The focus meter goes up when you use unique combat moves, and it goes down 1) when you take a single hit, or 2) if you don't hit anyone for a while. Sometimes it'll go down when you feed on someone too.

So the trick is to find moves that will rapidly increase the focus gauge, and then to not take any hits. Once the focus gauge is full, any attacks will spit out red orbs. So, using some of the weaker, wide range attacks on several enemies will spit out a ton of orbs.

I've found that counter works really well at rapidly filling the focus gauge. It seems to be worth a lot of points. Usually one successful counter with the follow up hits, and then one or two more attacks of some kind other than standard attack, and it'll fill up.

It can definitely be tricky.

One thing that really takes a while to get used to is that the dodge doesn't really grant you any safety or invincibility. And the enemies track your movements extremely well. So if you dodge too early, they often will completely track you and hit you.

The other thing that threw me off for a while was thinking that attacks were unblockable, even if they weren't. For example, the shotgun enemies were destroying me until I stopped to block their shots when they reloaded.

Another tip is that the somersault attack is huge in this game compared to the first. There are so many more enemies with shields or armor, and if you don't have any chaos that is basically the only way to hit them besides counters.

There are also a ton more enemies that require a "guard break" now, even without shields. The move where you hold square down, then hit it a few times is now much, much more useful. It's useful with all 3 weapons.

Reallink

Just beat this and have come to realization I no longer recognize or understand what constitutes a good or bad game. Even applying the most backwards reasoning I can devise, there is no scenario where I can conceive of this game being a 4, 5, or 6 (out of 10), it's a fundamental impossibility.

the chris

Just finished the game and I can't really put into words how disappointed I am with it as a whole. From the crappy stealth sections, pointless characters(
Victor Belmont
) to the final boss fight with
Alucard/Satan.
I'm glad everyone else is enjoying it, but I don't think I can muster the will to ever play this again, which pains me to say because I loved the original Lords of Shadow so much.

Jut

Banned
just finished and really got into the game. i dont understandthe low reviews. i kept waiting for the hard, annoying stealth section and it never came...they were easy and added variety to gameplay. if a critic gave los 1 a good scre n this a bad they need fired. i do miss the fixed camera though.

Spoilers

i hav story questions. i didnt play MOF.
the intro mentions simon n alucard kill dracula...yet in los2 alucard makes the pact and kills drcula. im lost. did they kill him then he ressurected to then let alucard kill him again?

also, who is Bernhard? other than the toymaker story.

Just beat this and have come to realization I no longer recognize or understand what constitutes a good or bad game. Even applying the most backwards reasoning I can devise, there is no scenario where I can conceive of this game being a 4, 5, or 6 (out of 10), it's a fundamental impossibility.
After finishing the game myself, I stand by my own opinion, those reviewers were on crack, anything less than 8.5 is simply a joke, totally BS.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 is one of the highest quality titles of 2014, and by no means it is a mediocre game, Almost every complaint about the game proved to be void.
just finished and really got into the game. i dont understandthe low reviews. i kept waiting for the hard, annoying stealth section and it never came...they were easy and added variety to gameplay. if a critic gave los 1 a good scre n this a bad they need fired. i do miss the fixed camera though.

Spoilers

i hav story questions. i didnt play MOF. the intro mentions simon n alucard kill dracula...yet in los2 alucard makes the pact and kills drcula. im lost. did they kill him then he ressurected to then let alucard kill him again?

also, who is Bernhard? other than the toymaker story.
Simon and Alucard fought Dracul before, and managed to kill him, but Alucard felt that something was wrong, and this is not how a vampire dies, and yes, Dracul is immortal, so after years, he got resurrected again, probably LoS.2 DLC Revelation will explain how Alucard comes to know about Satan and the Acolytes plan, then head to his father to explain the plan
Does that make sense for you ?!

As for Bernhard,
he was the original owner of the castle, he made a pact with the demons of hell, and the Castle was probably cursed
, Read more about them Here

Top Bottom