• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 - |OT| - Dead and Loving It!

MYE

It's still better than Mercurysteam's guys, and I like their stuff.

castlevania-harmony-of-dissonance-art.jpg

castlevania-lords-of-shadow-2-modern-art-pics-15-pn.jpg

Regardless of anyone's preference, neither style is technically superior to the other in a significant way.
I love Kojima's style but I can't say I'm a fan of everyone having almost the exact same face in every piece of art.

MYE

So yeah, I'm regretting canceling my preorder and now the amazon price went up... and I can't afford to spend more atm :(
yeah yeah #firstworldproblems, still feels like shit

Ahasverus

Can we please have a Castlevania LoS - which is a separate series from the original Akumajou Dracula - thread without a contest of "muh Castlevania"?
I know I started the debate but the "superior" thing was tongue on cheek. They are both good. Great. Excellent, even.
Wow good for them for getting it to fit. Just hope that doesn`t mean a shorter game! I played the first for 20 hours with lots of exploration. 100% completion did take a while.
It's because the cutscenes are in-game now :D

Regardless of anyone's preference, neither style is technically superior to the other in a significant way.
I love Kojima's style but I can't say I'm a fan of everyone having almost the exact same face in every piece of art.

I love Kojima's art. I love this new art. It's just different but great all the same.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Glad they got this to one disk. Having to swap back and forth when I was trying to jump around and do the trials got old, so I never finished it.

Also, I LOVED the art direction in the first game. The enviroments, enemies, bosses, etc. all stood out to me in a way few games can replicate. Hope they kept it up to par here, the bosses I've seen glimpses of seem to look visually great.

Some randomness, while we're waiting... what age did you play your first Castlevania? What game was your first Castlevania? When did you get into the series?

For me:

Age: I was born in 1983, so... I was 4 when the original released in NA. I finished the game when I was around 23. I'm 31 now.

My first Castlevania: the first Castlevania.

When did I get into the series? Why, it was my first Castlevania, which was the first Castlevania! I was actually stuck on the bat boss in the first level, and one of my cousins came over and beat it without any trouble and I was like what the FUCK?

Super Castlevania IV, I was pretty young at the time but this intro and the first level when the vines come up and Simon's Theme starts has never really left me since.

Everything about it was unlike anything I'd played before from the music, to the graphics, to swinging with the whip, to the level design itself, and it all worked together in a way that few other games to this day have managed to achieve.

SePetus

Neo Member
Does someone have information about steam release concerning Europe users and when will we be able to play it, on 25th or 28th?

Sanctuary

I think I had some major skepticism with the early reviews for the first game too, because almost all of them were from Europe. But in the end, it turned out to be around a 8/10 for me for my first playthrough. But much of that had to do with the anticipation aspect of unlocking and trying out new abilities. After having finished the game, and realizing how completely jank the combat was in many cases, and how usless 90% of the skills actually were, it dropped down to a 7/10 (plus dreading the already known pacing didn't help either) for my second run.

Looks like it's mostly a repeat this time too with the reviews, aside from the Edge review, which you know can't be right. It would have to have more things wrong with it than just bad pacing and some crappy stealth segment(s?) to get a 4/10, and it's more like Edge just trying to be edgy.

Super Castlevania IV, I was pretty young at the time but this intro and the first level when the vines come up and Simon's Theme starts has never really left me since.

Everything about it was unlike anything I'd played before from the music, to the graphics, to swinging with the whip, to the level design itself, and it all worked together in a way that few other games to this day have managed to achieve.

That game was the first legitimately "killer app" for the SNES.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Any better EU PC digital deals than pre-ordering through Steam? Thought GMG might do something, but the game doesn't even show up there.

sphinx

the piano man
is there any info as to whether the PAL 360 version of this game is region-locked??

I am in Germany and have an american 360....

TnK

My first CV was SotN back in 2003-2004. I remember forcing myself to finish the inverted castle. Second game was Rondo of Blood. It was that game that made me fall in love with castlevania. Then came the GBA games, and the rest is history.

When will they lift the review embargo?

Sanctuary

Anyone get a key from GMG yet? Picked it up with the coupon for $40.. I need to preload this!!!

Don't expect the key before Monday at the earliest. Even with games that allow preloading, GMG seems to love to wait until the last second for keys.

Ahasverus

OMG OMG OMG I can't believe it! I named my first OT! :D

Yesss!

I want to thank the NeoGAF and all of its members for this greatest honor.

Loving the OT too. Looking forward to this game.
Citizen_kane_clapping.gif

I love the little chuckle Dracula does when killing the little girl in "the" scene.

Some randomness, while we're waiting... what age did you play your first Castlevania? What game was your first Castlevania? When did you get into the series?

For me:

Age: I was born in 1983, so... I was 4 when the original released in NA. I finished the game when I was around 23. I'm 31 now.

My first Castlevania: the first Castlevania.

When did I get into the series? Why, it was my first Castlevania, which was the first Castlevania! I was actually stuck on the bat boss in the first level, and one of my cousins came over and beat it without any trouble and I was like what the FUCK?

Born in 83 as well so Castlevania 1 was my first exposure to the series and I have loved it ever since. I've played every Castlevania game since. 2 is the hardest one for me still! I forced my parents to rent Super Castlevania IV so much when I got my SNES that they inevitable bought it for my 12 birthday. Saved them money at that rate. My favorite in the entire series is IV as it just had so many wow moments for a game on a new system and those mode 7 effects. While I've had a lot of play time with various games. The Castlevania games that hold a special place in my heart are the following.

Castlevania 1 - This brought me into the series, I have nothing but love for this classic gem.

Super Castlevania IV - I already said enough on this title, but it just has such a huge variety of levels and mechanics, plus it had the multi-directional whip! I want to replay it as I type this.

Castlevania Bloodlines
- This bad boy was the first Castlevania game on the genesis and I had to have it. I loved that you could play as two diffeferent characters and enjoyed the fact you were going after draculas daughter (if I'm remembering correctly) It also has my most memorable OST after Super Castlevania IV.

Castlevani Curse of Darkness - This was the second game that released during the PS2 and Xbox days. It seems to be a hit and miss for a lot of people but I just have great memories of this, more so then Lament of Innocence, which I'm also pretty found of. Lots of running around aimless hallways and lots of combat with some pretty cool bosses and some great music as well. Hell at this point I might just admit, most Castlevania games just have amazing soundtracks.

Castlevania Symphony of the Night - Of course this one was a HUGE game changer. Giving us plenty more Castlevanias in this format. This is stil my favorite of them all. Crazy boss battles, tons of power ups, lots of exploration, secrets to find, and and great twist. Such a wonderful opening too!

Castlevania Legacy of Darkness - Truth be told, the original Castlevania game on N64 I waited for what seemed like forever. What I got was a very different but unique take on the franchise. More adventure like for the better term imo. A lot of folks hated it, but I played this so many times. Then the directors cut as I see it, Legacy of Darkness was released and feartured more characters and refinement to the series. A guilt pleasure of mine and some of the best memories of the N64.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow - Another new take on the franchise and one I've absolutely grown to love. Seeing as this is the most recent entry in the series sans Mirror of Fate, it should be no surprise why this game is up there for me. I hope to look at the whole LoS series as one huge awesome Castlevania experience (yes I even really enjoyed Mirror of Fate)

That's my top games. Even though there are plenty of other Castlevania games I've enjoyed and loved. These stick out to me for some reason. If honestly haven't played a Castlevania game I didn't enjoy though. It's one of my all time favorite series and I'm so happy it still going on even today! So thank you Konami!

Ahasverus

Warning: With the game out in the wild, this thread does NOT welcome spoilers (and, of course, above all, piracy) any non-gameplay related spoilers posted here without tags will be frowned upon, and temporary ban will be requested.

I still need to finish Lightning Returns, I'm still playing Bravely Default, and not only am I picking this game up on Tuesday but I'm also getting Tales of Symphonia Chronicles.

But this game comes first. I won't even acknowledge another game until I've gotten my fill of Castlevania, NOTHING ELSE MATTERS!

Ricker

No, well technically the abilities/moves acuired in LoS 1 are present in 2 :p

Okay thanks...doesnt matter now anyway,I will buy it with my nephew so it has to be the 360 version now...this one is over 70 bucks with taxes here now(Canada)so we will split. :p

I don't give a shit about two or three bad stealth segments. So, I will give the full game a chance and play it because I'm very curios to see what makes the game bad (if this game is truly bad as reviews states). I hope that the game will be good and gamers who enjoyed the first game will enjoy this too.

spoonztt

I work for the largest online retail store in my country and we got our console copies today. I can't wait for 5pm to head home.

Top Bottom