• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| March Harley Quinn does the Banana Splits

Damn,sat and blasted through the 2nd volume of Sheriff Of Babylon. The plot really paid off in this volume. They really ran with it, and it's one of the few cases of
Everything you thought you knew was wrong
being legit. No spoilers of course but the last two issues are sublime.

The character arcs are pretty satisfying and knowing there is a second season coming, it's hard not to imagine where they might go. I could see an actual followup to these events going down right down the rabbit hole. I could see the book taking a True Detective route and being set elsewhere with an entirely new cast with the general tone and type of themes as the connecting tissue.

There were a few issues. The dialogue has its quirks still but I guess I started to think King and roll with it, it didn't bother me as much with this volume. I would argue the plot maybe
ends a little too clean? It's hard to believe everyone got out alive without doing something stupid in revenge after a few of the revelations. I'd have liked to see the direct aftermath of #11
. By and large though, I was pretty heavily nose in the book once this volume got going and I didn't really have my critic hat on. I would rank the book below Omega Men or Vision, but really great, and definitely the best thing I've read under Vertigo in years. Thematically strong and probably a little stark and grueling for everyone, but I'd recommend it for folks who like this sort of thing already. It would probably make one hell of a TV show too.

Messi

I really loved them, the last one went really meta.

Also Deadpool Out of Continuity Miniseries are always amazing

I've found them to be hit or miss. Where as I think the main series is consistently entertaining and at times borders on classic. Certain issues are definitely Deadpool classics.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I love how the hellboy books use less dialogue than other books but still tell the story perfectly

tim1138

I've been blasting through the Rebirth trades for stuff I don't pull as they hit Hoopla, and today I read the first volumes of Cyborg and Batgirl.

I was digging Cyborg, Semper did a nice job building up Vic's world and supporting cast, and Pelletier and Will Conrad were turning out some great work. And then it happened, halfway through the last issue in the trade there was one of the most jarring art changes I've ever seen. It was like they were up against deadline and grabbed some intern to finish the last 10 pages, boy was it bad.

I liked Batgirl more then I was expecting to, I really like Larson's voice for Babs. The art was mostly good, but man Albuquerque really phoned it in for a bit there. Action shots and in costume was sold, but take the masks off and he was all over the place. I'm interested in seeing how it looks with the current artist, and I'm legit excited Babs is going back to her librarian roots.

Next up from Hoopla is Snotgirl, Seven to Eternity, and the Flintstones.

I love how the hellboy books use less dialogue than other books but still tell the story perfectly

For sure. What one are you on?

Next up from Hoopla is Snotgirl, Seven to Eternity, and the Flintstones.

I've got Seven To Eternity sitting to go through, crossing my fingers it's one of the good Remender books.

Although. I never think of Remender as a favourite writer, then I realise quite how many of his books I follow... Maybe he is one and I just don't know it? It's weird. Low has really got up there for me.

Lashley

I've got Seven To Eternity sitting to go through, crossing my fingers it's one of the good Remender books.

Although. I never think of Remender as a favourite writer, then I realise quite how many of his books I follow... Maybe he is one and I just don't know it? It's weird. Low has really got up there for me.
The drowning. Finishing it now.

Seven to eternity is alright btw, nothing amazing

jurgen

And X-Men Prime has shown me that I no longer care about the X books. I might read Weapon X but the rest look uninteresting to me

Yeah, until proper Cyclops and everyone return and the O5 leave, I'm pretty much done with the X-books. Everything is just so damn convoluted with the O5 (which is saying something considering it's an X-men book) and everything else is boring and uninspired.

I'm going to give Weapon X a chance only because Greg Pak rarely disappoints me and frequently proves me wrong on things that I think I'm going to hate (Hercules, Totally Awesome Hulk, New 52 Superman).

17626148_10155151910773485_2970958062473907058_n.jpg

Looks like that story is going to be called Metal after all.

tim1138

That's because Hellboy is just about perfect in general

I try every new series he puts out, but nothing he's done has grabbed me in the same way Fear Agent and Uncanny X-Force did.

The drowning. Finishing it now.

Seven to eternity is alright btw, nothing amazing

Oh I really like the drowning, very creepy and weird. That ends up being a really big deal actually, they come back it it much much later haha. I love the art though, and the opening with Edward Grey is cool, dude gets all over.

I try every new series he puts out, but nothing he's done has grabbed me in the same way Fear Agent and Uncanny X-Force did.

I actually never warmed up to Fear Agent, which is weird since everyone universally loves it. Low started quite eh for me and now I kind of love it. Still bashing my head off of Black Science. I'm not sure why honestly. Even when I bounce off his stuff, I find myself thinking about it later. He works with really good artists I guess.

At least if StE is meh, the art will be great.

Lashley

Oh I really like the drowning, very creepy and weird. That ends up being a really big deal actually, they come back it it much much later haha. I love the art though, and the opening with Edward Grey is cool, dude gets all over.
I love Edward Grey

I love Edward Grey

He was always a favourite over the years, just the total wtf of the disparity between his existence in the modern day HB stuff and what you know of his past, wondering what the story there was drove me nuts for years. Every time they added to his legend was great.

Plus, small spoiler, I won't say who but he very tangentially is responsible for the origin of one of my favourite BPRD characters. So good.

I would rather have that another X kills the whole universe, never really enjoyed those

Have you read the Marvel Universe Vs trilogy by Jonathan Maberry? Though it doesn't land the finish, the first two parts were fire. Bonus: Amazing Goran Parlov art in the first part.

Owzers

Black Science and Low have kinda killed my enthusiasm for it. I do plan to try it later though.

Deadly class gets realllly good in the third and forth trade whereas black science is "this is kinda good I guess, I don't really need to drop it"

I would have dropped Deadly after the first trade had I not bought the first four already though.

I actually never warmed up to Fear Agent, which is weird since everyone universally loves it. Low started quite eh for me and now I kind of love it. Still bashing my head off of Black Science. I'm not sure why honestly. Even when I bounce off his stuff, I find myself thinking about it later. He works with really good artists I guess.

At least if StE is meh, the art will be great.
Eternity feels like an X-Men.
Zombine has never read Deadly Class but owns the big ohc. How do y'all feel about that?
I own 2 Hellboy Library Edition I have yet to read.
Deadly class gets realllly good in the third and forth trade whereas black science is "this is kinda good I guess, I don't really need to drop it"

I would have dropped Deadly after the first trade had I not bought the first four already though.
Black Science reads better in trade.

Yeah, Black Science and Low were a let down for me after Fear Agent. Still have to try Deadly Class.
I bounced off Black Science after a bit and kind of fell off of Low but Deadly Class is his best ongoing with Image by far. Definitely feels like the story he is most interested in telling and the art, coloring, and paneling is fantastic. It's worth trying I think.

X-Force is still my favorite work by him though.

Messi

I can't... Sillymonkey pls. Deadly Class #1 is a stone cold classic.

Everything ends up in the bin eventually.

He still leaves his books in piles on the floor too.

I have the Strangers in Paradise omnibus and have yet to start it. How does that make you feel?

I'm OK with this because I know you will get to it and you appreciate great comics so I know you will soon fall in love with Katchoo also.

It's the first comic in ages where I feel super excited to read the next issue.

This is some hot shit.
The motorcycle section with Saya in the first issue is so stylish and cool. I didn't think much of Wes Craig's work in Guardians of the Galaxy but he really leveled up for this comic.

dan2026

The motorcycle section with Saya in the first issue is so stylish and cool. I didn't think much of Wes Craig's work in Guardians of the Galaxy but he really leveled up for this comic.
Deadly Class feels like pure escapism to me.

It's a crazy, violent world those kids are living in.
But I'd give anything to live there with them.

You've made a terrible mistake

Don't listen to him! It only gets better!

Are we watching the same show? This season has been dreadful.

I was trolling :(

The beginning of the fall

Watched a couple more. Can't watch this anymore. Not even for Wells. So many superhero tv shows on this year and not a single one I want to keep watching. Dropped most of them.

Maybe I will give Legion a shot. Is Into The Badlands worth watching? Sounds like Lazarus.

Damn, I need American Gods to start soon.

Top Bottom