• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
EDIT: ^ FINALLY! Been waiting ages for a comic that's set before Secret Wars

Still thinking about that scene I read yesterday from Darkseid War - Batman #1 where he's in the prison with Joe Chill.

So fucking good.

We Are Robin #5: First off, let's get something out of the way, the art doesn't look like last month's issue. That's okay, though, since it would frankly be massively unfair to every other comic if it continued to look like that. Still looks great, though, Bermejo has a real talent for faces and expressions. The writing is on point too, especially the character bits. Each of the Robins feels very distinct, with fleshed out personalities, backstories, and voices. It's a rare thing. I will admit that I'm not familiar with their names yet, though.

Plotwise it's a little bit shakier. You've got about... 2 main plots right now: the Robins questioning if they're going to continue (Alfred in his hilarious fake beard links to this one), and the villain's current shenigans, which promise to be very interesting;
The Court usually is
. Still, neither is as strong as it could be. I've got no issues with the villain-plot, but the other feels like it's pulling in two different directions, with Alfred slowly making contact with the Robins and the Robins struggling with how they feel after losing Troy. But I suppose that's rather the point, isn't it? It's a struggle. They want so badly to make things better, but they don't know how, and their outlet is suddenly cast into uncertainty as they find out that they don't have Batman's backing, but are instead working for (to them) some mysterious man. Who is wearing a ridiculous fake beard. I honestly would've put him into a mask, humor is not the right note for the scene. And then there's the other plot intersecting it... you know, maybe being pulled in opposite directions isn't a problem, but a strength? Right now, I really don't have a good handle on what the Robins might do next, which makes the offer at the end of the book more of a question mark than it might otherwise be. An element of uncertainty... hmm.

All in all, though, I loved it. Tied with Robin, son of Batman for the favorite book I've read so far today, but I still have the Darkseid War tie in, Grayson, and B&R Eternal to get through, so that might change :p

It's really good, though.

Superman #45 was pretty good. Porter does a bang-up job on art, and I really like the premise of Mythbrawls. Can't say I dig Supes fighting in them, but I guess errybody's gotta eat, and as combat sports go, it's more noble than most. Awesome stuff includes: tacos, cape, and plane travel. Less awesome is the weakass justification for the tshirt. Just say that he lost the uniform but wants to keep wearing the symbol.

Also, Hordr continues to be easily my least favorite portion of this story line. If it was possible to recreate this entire arc without him, I'd be much happier.

Messi

I got my Harley cover!

XzUdfco.jpeg

So happy

Grayson #13 was some damn fine comics. Tim filling in as Dick's outside connection makes a lot of sense. Loved the combat banter between Dick and Tig too. That's his name now, don't fight it. Curious to see where Helena's sublplot goes. And this Agent Zero business... intriguing.

Jesus Fucking Christ! Cyclops isn't even there and Storm still finds an opportunity to shit on him. When did Storm become such a raging bitch?

Speaking of which. Where the hell is Cyclops post Secret war?

You don't have to be a bitch of any sort to shit on Cyclops, that guy fucking sucks.

But what can you expect from a dirty Mutie.

Sandfox

You don't have to be a bitch of any sort to shit on Cyclops, that guy fucking sucks.

Cyclops was right though and a lot of the mutants against him have been written pretty poorly for a long time. If anything they should've all been ganging up on Beast lol.

Busaiku

I decided to give Tokyo Ghost another chance, ended up liking it this time.
When I initially read it, I was really confused by the perspectives, like I thought multiple characters were narrating, and I couldn't tell who was whom. Got me really confused.

Yeah... Bullshit. Every damned person in that room is alive mostly due to Cyclops actions.
Cyclops is a saint for being able to put up with the X-Men's bullshit for so long.

Batman Eternal #4 Before I begin my review proper, a few thoughts on the ending:

What the fuck.

WHAT THE FUCK.

WHAT.

THE.

FUCK.

Okay, now that that's done, the meat & potatoes. Art is a bit of a step down. Does the job, but isn't anything special. Seeing the
We are Robin
crew was a nice touch, suppose
Alfred must have sent them there
. Cass and Harper wandering the Batcave could turn out pretty interesting. Jason arguing with Stephanie is hilarious 'cause they're both such children. This Mother thing is... more interesting than I thought it was going to be. Considerably more interesting than the constant "no it's not them" stuff Batman Eternal got up to.

And that ending. Dude. What.

We Are Robin #5: First off, let's get something out of the way, the art doesn't look like last month's issue. That's okay, though, since it would frankly be massively unfair to every other comic if it continued to look like that. Still looks great, though, Bermejo has a real talent for faces and expressions. The writing is on point too, especially the character bits. Each of the Robins feels very distinct, with fleshed out personalities, backstories, and voices. It's a rare thing. I will admit that I'm not familiar with their names yet, though.

Plotwise it's a little bit shakier. You've got about... 2 main plots right now: the Robins questioning if they're going to continue (Alfred in his hilarious fake beard links to this one), and the villain's current shenigans, which promise to be very interesting;
The Court usually is
. Still, neither is as strong as it could be. I've got no issues with the villain-plot, but the other feels like it's pulling in two different directions, with Alfred slowly making contact with the Robins and the Robins struggling with how they feel after losing Troy. But I suppose that's rather the point, isn't it? It's a struggle. They want so badly to make things better, but they don't know how, and their outlet is suddenly cast into uncertainty as they find out that they don't have Batman's backing, but are instead working for (to them) some mysterious man. Who is wearing a ridiculous fake beard. I honestly would've put him into a mask, humor is not the right note for the scene. And then there's the other plot intersecting it... you know, maybe being pulled in opposite directions isn't a problem, but a strength? Right now, I really don't have a good handle on what the Robins might do next, which makes the offer at the end of the book more of a question mark than it might otherwise be. An element of uncertainty... hmm.

All in all, though, I loved it. Tied with Robin, son of Batman for the favorite book I've read so far today, but I still have the Darkseid War tie in, Grayson, and B&R Eternal to get through, so that might change :p

It's really good, though.

Just checking in case you were being vague, but the mysterious bearded man is Alfred right? It has to be.

CBR's interview with Azzarello/Kubert spoils MAJOR plot details from DK3. Not kidding, if you're interested in this story at all then you should probably go dark right now.

Also, Cullen Bunn is off Aquaman with #48 (and had actually quit Aquaman since before his first issue), due to a variety of reasons not the least of which was internet backlash.

didn't know this was a thing, but if he was the guy behind aquaman being "betrayed" i'm not going to really complain. kind of a big step down from what aquaman was doing before that imho.

CBR's interview with Azzarello/Kubert spoils MAJOR plot details from DK3. Not kidding, if you're interested in this story at all then you should probably go dark right now.

Also, Cullen Bunn is off Aquaman with #48 (and had actually quit Aquaman since before his first issue), due to a variety of reasons not the least of which was internet backlash.

Huh, I thought an interview with the series creators would spoil some stuff with all the warnings and all. But the level of bombshell that's dropped in that article is crazy. Seriously, like Seriously, don't read it if you want to be surprised by the first issue. Now that I am spoiled, I'm still hyped for the book, maybe even more so.

Also, link to the Bunn news?

Huh, I thought an interview with the series creators would spoil some stuff with all the warnings and all. But the level of bombshell that's dropped in that article is crazy. Seriously, like Seriously, don't read it if you want to be surprised by the first issue. Now that I am spoiled, I'm still hyped for the book, maybe even more so.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...uaman-departure-confirms-uncanny-x-men-member

Also, Bleeding Cool has some information from a DK3 interview with Frank Miller by a French magazine, that sheds some more light on the book's titular "Master Race."

My takeaway from TDKIII preview is..."Holy shit, it looks like an actual comic!"...Kubert's doing pretty good work. I feel like Miller's idea for the Master Race is akin to Geoff Johns in Justice League in that it's taking Batgod idea and running with it, I mean
Batman vs the Kryptonians of Kandor?

Also...in what is probably my biggest single purchase for Comics in...a very long time, if not ever...just ordered Absolute Sandman (all volumes) and Absolute Death. I am now bankrupt forever.

tim1138

Here's a link to the Bunn thing, it's kind of messed up.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/10/29/cullen-bunn-was-pushed-off-aquaman-by-twitter/

Also...in what is probably my biggest single purchase for Comics in...a very long time, if not ever...just ordered Absolute Sandman (all volumes) and Absolute Death. I am now bankrupt forever.

Man, funny story.... I got Absolute Death brand new for $25 at a Barnes & Noble clearance sale.

Top Bottom