• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Man, funny story.... I got Absolute Death brand new for $25 at a Barnes & Noble clearance sale.

Absolute Death was like...£40ish? I got each volume for about £30/$50ish less than the RRP. Was still super expensive but y'know. I've never read the Death stuff but it'd feel weird to not have it. possible dp

Pau

Hey y'all. I'm trying to get a friend of mine into Marvel comics. She's always liked DC shows but irrationally hated on Marvel.
Now she wants to apply to a job with them and I'm telling her she should at least give their books a chance.
She likes indie comics that are slice of life, romance, or have diverse (mostly female) leads. She likes fantasy stuff like Saga too, loves Studio Ghibli movies, to give you an idea of her tastes.

Here's stuff that I'm thinking so far:

Runaways
Ms. Marvel
Alias
Young Avengers
Young Allies
Nextwave
Arana/Spider-Girl
X-Men: First Class
Ultimate Spider-Man (Miles)
Thor: The Mighty Avenger

Am I missing anything?

Dalek

Hey y'all. I'm trying to get a friend of mine into Marvel comics. She's always liked DC shows but irrationally hated on Marvel.
Now she wants to apply to a job with them and I'm telling her she should at least give their books a chance.
She likes indie comics that are slice of life, romance, or have diverse (mostly female) leads. She likes fantasy stuff like Saga too, loves Studio Ghibli movies, to give you an idea of her tastes.

Runaways
Ms. Marvel
Alias
Young Avengers
Young Allies
Nextwave
Arana/Spider-Girl

Am I missing anything?

Those are all good-but I'd leave Nextwave out, even though I like it. I think it somewhat requires a knowledge of the genre that it's playing up. My personal opinion, though-I'm sure others disagree.

Add Squirrel Girl

Am I missing anything?

Try Silk. Maybe Spider-Gwen. Also Mike Allred / Dan Slott's recent Silver Surfer series.

There was also a one-shot not too long ago called Secret Wars: Secret Love. It was a really cute romance comic with a few different stories.

Runaways
Ms. Marvel
Alias
Young Avengers
Young Allies
Nextwave
Arana/Spider-Girl

Am I missing anything?

She-Hulk (Charles Soule, the 2014 run)
Silver Surfer (Dan Slott, the 2014 run)
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl

Edit: And maybe Hawkeye (Fraction, 2012)

tim1138

Yeah, my spite for that book was all in private, I would never hate on the writer to his eyes over the Internet.

That...kinda sucks.

I may think certain writers are bad for certain characters etc but abuse etc is just...eugh.

I wasn't thrilled he was on the book either, but that had as much to do with Parker's run being so perfect, hell I would have been grumpy no matter who they put on the book. I do think Bunn was probably the wrong pick for the book, his runs on Magneto and Sinestro are solid because those are titles that play to his strengths.

Here's hoping they bring Parker back to Aquaman since he still had another years worth of stories to tell.

I wasn't thrilled he was on the book either, but that had as much to do with Parker's run being so perfect, hell I would have been grumpy no matter who they put on the book. I do think Bunn was probably the wrong pick for the book, his runs on Magneto and Sinestro are solid because those are titles that play to his strengths.

Here's hoping they bring Parker back to Aquaman since he still had another years worth of stories to tell.

Apperantly DC flew in Juan Ferreya into the DCs office last week so I wonder what his next project is going to be on art.

ElNarez

Banned
hey don't worry about Bunn, he's got it made at Marvel, I'm sure his next assignment is fairly low-stakes, stress-free, with an understanding fanbase and wildly revered collaborators

hey don't worry about Bunn, he's got it made at Marvel, I'm sure his next assignment is fairly low-stakes, stress-free, with an understanding fanbase and wildly revered collaborators

giphy.gif

Aw man I might have to pick up Parker's run. I dropped it after Johns left, not because of Parker but I was just consolidating at the time.

VanWinkle

Superman Birthright was GREAT. I loved it.

Thinking I MIGHT read Zero Year next. Or maybe I should just go ahead and read the Death of the Family compilation (with all of thr tie-ins) since that was the last Batman arc I read. Yeah, I think I'll do that instead.

Bunn probably should have read Geoff and Parker's runs before he started because following up 40 issues of them drilling into our heads that Aquaman is the rightful king of Atlantis with him becoming a renegade was an incredibly bad move. Plus, dude's writing usually isn't all that interesting but I was wowed at how dull the Aquaman previews of his issues were.

Hopefully they don't cancel the book. Just snatch Ivan Reis away from Cyborg and bring a writer in who will build on Aquaman's legacy instead of constantly fucking with his throne (cus it's getting reaaaally old).

I dropped 6 DC books this week. Also picked up the whole Darth Vader run for full price because I'm a sucker for the Dark Side. Back to DC, I kinda miss a shared universe. It's seems the bat offices have a tight grip on a shared universe. Rest of the line has no unity. They said that was so creators could make better stories but for the most part,I haven't seen it.

VanWinkle

Is the upcoming Aquaman Deluxe collecting Parkers Run?

No. Doesn't even collect all of John's run (which would have made it ~700 pages, omnibus length). It collects volumes 1-3, which should be around 500 pages alone.

I definitely want to read John's run, but I'm probably just going to wait on the deluxe edition to do so.

That's all it took to get rid of Cullen Bunn? He's an entitled Millenial that doesn't know what it means to struggle. Good riddance. I would say get Parker back on the book but I haven't picked up a comic since June and I'd probably vomit if I did.

Pau

Those are all good-but I'd leave Nextwave out, even though I like it. I think it somewhat requires a knowledge of the genre that it's playing up. My personal opinion, though-I'm sure others disagree.

Add Squirrel Girl
I mostly put in Nextwave because of the art and Monica Rambeau. Do you think there'd be a better book to read for Monica?

Try Silk. Maybe Spider-Gwen. Also Mike Allred / Dan Slott's recent Silver Surfer series.

There was also a one-shot not too long ago called Secret Wars: Secret Love. It was a really cute romance comic with a few different stories.
Thanks! I haven't been keeping up with a lot of the new stuff. I'll add those to the list.

She-Hulk (Charles Soule, the 2014 run)
Silver Surfer (Dan Slott, the 2014 run)
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl

Edit: And maybe Hawkeye (Fraction, 2012)
Thank you! :) I was debating adding Fraction's Hawkeye run. Maybe if she really likes Kate after reading Young Avengers?

Squire

Banned

Runaways
Ms. Marvel
Alias
Young Avengers
Young Allies
Nextwave
Arana/Spider-Girl

Am I missing anything?

Astonishing X-Men by Marjorie Liu.

Is Sterling Gates working on a new book for DC? I haven't seen his name on a book since Forever Evil: A.R.G.U.S. I'd love to see him on a Shazam on-going, or hell, a Kid Flash solo. Maybe DC'll tap him for the supposed Supergirl relaunch coming next year?

PsychBat!

Banned

Runaways
Ms. Marvel
Alias
Young Avengers
Young Allies
Nextwave
Arana/Spider-Girl

Am I missing anything?
I'd take Nextwave out. This isn't a book that's close to what your friend likes.

was reorganizing some of my books and came across an old fave of mine, Desolation Jones.

It's by Ellis and JHWIII. I picked this up when I was in college and it was my first time exposed to JHWIII's artwork. Not sure if it was an ogn or mini but its a complete story.

It's about a former M16 agent who went through some shit as a test subject and now works as PI in LA. its pretty accessable Ellis work and plays to his strength of writing snarky english types.

JHWIII's artwork is very strong here. Much closer to his current form than in Promethea. A must have art wise.

If you come across this book, pick it up. Its a gem.

Squire

Banned
Did she do a run on Astonishing? I only remember her X-23 run.

She was the last writer on that book, yeah. She didn't really establish any continuity for herself at Marvel, but it does reference her X-23 run in that X-23 and Jubilee attend Northstar's wedding and Gambit is part of the supporting cast.

Top Bottom