• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Considering purchasing a PS5 for FFXVI today. Would appreciate some feedback/advice.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
So I been watching the PS5 Tech review by Digital Foundry. They are really selling it to me, if I'm being honest. I've always wanted to grab a PS5, but originally missed the opportunity to pre-order, though I was able to get a Series X in the same moment. I currently have a PC with a 4090, 5800x. I also own a PS4 and Switch. The consoles I own, I consider bargaining chips.

I've been holding off for the longest due to supply constraints and lack of compelling games that I really wanna play. However, I'm a Final Fantasy fanatic, having played every mainline entry, and both MMO's for years, even to this day. Yoshi P has admitted that though FFXVI will be exclusive to PS5 for 6 months, the team would not be able to optimize for PC in 6 months, so it could come out maybe a year after. This leaves me with a decision to make.

I was dead set on waiting and purchasing the PS5 Pro, which may not come out until end of next year. But I really wanna play this game...NOW.

So here's what I'm thinking. I sell the Series X, One X and PS4 to subsidize a PS5 purchase, and then later sell the PS5 to get the Pro.

I haven't sold anything to, say, a Gamestop in YEARS. So am I wasting my money? Is this a good idea? Am I falling prey to hype? Like share and comment below. Thanks.

Last edited:

Alebrije

You have answered your self...just need to jump...

memes-just-do-it.gif

GHG

I would just wait to play it on the 4090. I have a ps5 and that’s what I’m doing.

Then you don't really want to play it now. Be honest with yourself.

I'm not waiting, and if I like it enough I can more than justify a 2nd playthrough on PC at a later date.

As for the OP, if you have the money you should be able to make your own decision. Do what you think will make you happy.

Last edited:

I'm not waiting, and if I like it enough I can more than justify a 2nd playthrough on PC at a later date.

Wait a year or so? Just double dip and play it again.

The graphical differences aren’t going to significantly alter your enjoyment unless you’re a 60fps or bust person

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

As for the OP, if you have the money you should be able to make your own decision. Do what you think will make you happy.

I am balls deep in SF6 and Diablo 4 so yea I’m not really dying to play this right now. I would’ve bought it if the performance was better on ps5.

You will have your PC left after selling everything and a 4090 PC and PS5 is all you need.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

But I will say if your one of those type of people that likes to collect and hold on to things for nostalgia than just wait, save up and buy the PS5. If you own a 4090 I would think you can afford a PS5 in time with saving for a short while.

GHG

I am balls deep in SF6 and Diablo 4 so yea I’m not really dying to play this right now. I would’ve bought it if the performance was better on ps5.

Those are the exact 2 games I have in my rotation right now (I'm actually hoping to finish the D4 campaign tonight) and I also have system shock remake sat in my library waiting for me to delve in properly.

But FF is a once in a generation event, typically I'm there day one regardless of anything else going on.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
You will have your PC left after selling everything and a 4090 PC and PS5 is all you need.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

But I will say if your one of those type of people that likes to collect and hold on to things for nostalgia than just wait, save up and buy the PS5. If you own a 4090 I would think you can afford a PS5 in time with saving for a short while.
I still have my Sega Genesis, NES, Dreamcast, PS3, N64. Oh man, I might be in trouble.

I still don't know why you're with a Series X when you have a good PC. I use basically the same combo PC + Switch + PS and I don't regret a thing since I grab all Xbox games through PC Game Pass.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I still don't know why you're with a Series X when you have a good PC. I use basically the same combo PC + Switch + PS and I don't regret a thing since I grab all Xbox games through PC Game Pass.
When I purchased the Series X I was still on a 1070ti. I figured I would play Xbox Games for resolution and PC games for framerate, depending on the game. Now I play almost everything on PC.

Maybe I should just buy it out right....what's money these days anyways...
That's what I think, definitely wouldn't get rid of multiple systems for it, but then again I guess a Ps5 is basically a Ps4. But I'm moving my Ps4 into another room to use there sometimes (I just got a Ps5).

RCU005

Make sure you buy the FFXVI bundle.

You won’t regret buying a PS5, simple as that. This generation sucks, but the console has good games.

mdkirby

Get the dualsense Edge. I’ve burnt through 3 or 4 regular ones due to the stupid potentiometers they put in all modern controllers. The Edge let’s you swap out the sticks if they fail and start drifting.

oji-san

Banned
If you don't use the SX then why not.. you don't need the PS4 and One X if you get a PS5, it's a really awesome console to me and i thought the FF XVI demo looked great, if you end up getting it then enjoy it. :)

Jigsaah

Gold Member
If you want an actual Final Fantasy RPG, and not a straight character action game like DMC or God of War, you may be disappointed. This was probably one of the more honest reviews I have read.

"Large parts of Final Fantasy XVI feel like they were designed more out of obligation than anything. It’s as if the developers wanted to make a pure character action game, but feared that it would be a drastic change that longtime fans couldn’t accept. "

"The more I played, the more I began to question why so little was engaging me outside of Eikon battles. Not too long into my journey, I’d find that a lot of my problems came back to one thing: shallow RPG hooks. Though Final Fantasy XVI is being positioned as an action-RPG, the latter half of that genre hybrid is severely overstated. There’s leveling up, stats, and a few equipment slots, but a lot of its systems are a placebo hiding an entirely restrictive approach to power. For instance, Clive has six stats, but look closely and you’ll realize that three of those aren’t really stats at all. Strength, for instance, is actually just Clive’s attack stat combined with an extra buff he’s getting from equipped gear. It’s smoke and mirrors that hides the fact that Clive’s power progression is fairly static from start to finish."
Hmmm, reading it now. Thanks for the heads up.

Sethbacca

That PC renders the Xboxes irrelevant unless you prefer xbox games on your tv. I mean, you're going to get less trading into gamestop than you would if you sold individually but then you have to deal with lowballers and idiot buyers so depending on your outlook it may be worth the tradeoff.

When I purchased the Series X I was still on a 1070ti. I figured I would play Xbox Games for resolution and PC games for framerate, depending on the game. Now I play almost everything on PC.
Time to pass the Xbox to a new home :)

And yeah, PC is where I do most of my gaming these days.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Hmmm, reading it now. Thanks for the heads up.
HappyConsoleGamer said he loves turn based RPG’s, but he’s glad XVI isn’t turned based. The guys been playing RPGs like Y’s, Phantasy Star, Far East of Eden, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest since their first entry.

killatopak

Honestly though, part of the reason why I buy games day one or more specifically buy consoles for those games is to be in the conversation. Either here in the GAF OT, Discord or Facebook groups. There's also the case of avoiding spoilers because social media is ripe with them without your consent.

This doesn't just apply to FFXVI but all games I buy day one. If you feel the same and want to discover and explore stuff and talk about it in some form, yeah do buy the console. If not then save yourself from buying it and just wait for the port.

One of the regrets I have is not being alive and talking about how Darth Vader is Luke's father with everyone or finding out Arnold isn't the antagonist in Terminator 2. Shit must have been hype. Just the conversations alone would have been worth it. It's those you have to be there to fully experience it. Now it's just a passing thought.

GymWolf

Go for it, the game seems great and you are obviously gonna use the console for other exclusive games unless you hate the totality of sony output.

You never really buy a console for a single game.

I would not recommend selling existing consoles to gamestop as you'd make very little money and then you'll compound the issue by trading in the PS5 a year later. You wanting to play the game today (when it releases), there is a time value of money argument to be made. You experiencing the game TODAY with the culture is certainly worth something versus you experiencing it a year from now.

PS5s are starting to come down in price - you can get the God of War bundle for $500 straight up these days. You may be able to buy a used PS5 for $400-$450. Maybe a straight trade of series x for PS5 or maybe series X + $50 cash for it. No matter what I just think you're going to get very little from gamestop. Definitely sell to 3rd party (ebay, amazon, craiglist, fb marketplace) or not sell at all in my opinion

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Don't do it. Game will drop out of favor fast. I would wait until the PC version to give it time for real impressions to come out.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I'm a registered Sony Pony who is purchasing FFXVI day one on PS5 and I say.... Wait. The game will be no less amazing 1 year (or possibly less) down the road. I think SE made all of the right optimization choices here for the console version and I applaud them for it, but I have a feeling that this game will truly shine on your PC build.

What I would love to see Sony do is offer a cross purchase path to alleviate cost concerns surrounding their staggered release between PS5 and PC.

Zug

Just wait for the superior PC version, and when it's released, wait again that it's fixed and at half price.

Top Bottom