• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Chile 2015 |OT| Olé, Olé, Olé, Chee-lay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Lou

EXRHQ8x.png

11 June – 4 July 2015

This thread is intended for the 44th edition of the Copa América. All ten CONMEBOL (South American) nations are taking part plus Jamaica and Mexico have accepted an invitation to take part. Mexico are two-time runner-ups and it's the first time that Jamaica have been invited. Both teams will also take part in the CONCACAF Gold Cup next month but with a modified group of players.

Uruguay are holders having won the competition in 2011 but are without their leading man Luis Suarez due to suspension.

Groups

• Group A: Chile, Bolivia, Ecuador and Mexico
  • Group B: Argentina, Jamaica, Paraguay and Uruguay
  • Group C: Brazil, Colombia, Peru and Venezuela
Rules
Group Stage

According to Article 8 of the tournament regulations: “For the first stage of the competition, the 12 participating teams will be divided into three groups of four teams each.

The competition rules state that: “The teams that finish first and second in each group, as well as the two best third-placed teams [across all three groups] will qualify for the quarter-finals.

The rules state that if teams finish level in the standings during the first stage, the criteria for determining [who qualifies] are in the following order:

• Number of points earned.
  • The team with the best goal difference. Goal difference is obtained by subtracting goals conceded from goals scored.
  • If goal difference is the same, the team that scored the most goals will qualify.
  • If the tie is between two teams from the same group, and equality is maintained [after criteria a) through c) are applied], the winner of the match played between the teams in question will qualify.
  • If the tie is not broken after the application of the preceding provisions, a draw [of lots] between the two teams will be held. The draw will be performed by a person designated by the Conmebol Administrative Committee, in the presence of representatives of the respective participating associations.
  • If a tie on points occurs between two teams that play each other in the last game of the group, and if the tie persists after applying the variants indicated in letters a), b), c) and d) of this same article, then the winner will be determined by a penalty shoot-out, in accordance with the Laws of the Game.
Quarters and semi-finals

The knockout stage is a single-elimination tournament in which teams play each other in one-off matches, with penalty shoot-outs used to decide the winner if a match is tied after 90 minutes. No extra-time will be played during the quarter-finals, semi-finals and third/fourth place play-off.

Final

Like the quarter-finals and semi-finals , the winner of the Copa América will be whoever wins the deciding encounter. However, if the match is level after 90 minutes, the winner will be determined first by 30 minutes of extra time, which will be divided in two halves of 15 minutes.

If the match remains level after extra time, the winner will be decided by penalty kicks.

Squads/Rosters

Group A

Group B

Group C

Fixtures

Recommended link to show kick-off times in your local timezone: SoccerWay

8muc43l.png

VSF4v50.png

Downloadable PDF:
1. https://www.santander.cl/copa-america-2015/includes/descargas/Fixture-Copa-America-Descargable.pdf
2. http://www.ca2015.com/pdf/copa_america_bracket.pdf

Official song

Noche de Brujas - "Al Sur del Mundo"

https://vimeo.com/127675403

Official links:

Official site: http://www.ca2015.com/en
Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/CopaAmerica
Instragram: https://instagram.com/copaamericachile2015/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ca2015_en

Broadcast rights

I can't find a definitive list, please take a look at the the Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Copa_América#Broadcasting_rights

Latin America: DirecTV
Republic of Ireland: Setanta
USA: BeInSports
UK: Premier Sports

Tagyhag

Argentina's got this. They fucked up last time but they're going to be hungry and wanting to redeem themselves for the WC.

Eila

Brazil are missing Neymar in the friendly on right now, but they look really bad.
And just as I write this Brazil score an amazing goal.

I wish Mexico were more focused on this tournament than the gold cup. South America teams are the most fun to watch. Concacaf is so meh in comparison

Colombia have a killer (and relatively healthy) squad at the moment but they didn't look all that great in their tune-up match versus Costa Rica last night. I'll be keen to see how they perform here.

clemenx

Banned
Stop fucking inviting Mexico if they're not sending a good team.

I think Chile and Colombia must be favorites. Lol Argentina is never winning anything.

I wish Mexico were more focused on this tournament than the gold cup. South America teams are the most fun to watch. Concacaf is so meh in comparison

Mexico would rather play against El Salvador, Honduras and Costa Rica.

Stop fucking inviting Mexico if they're not sending a good team.

Concacaf's fault for having the Gold Cup every two years instead of every 4 like every other respectable cup.

Since Mexico belongs to Concacaf they have to be bring their best team to that cup.

Tagyhag

Concacaf's fault for having the Gold Cup every two years instead of every 4 like every other respectable cup.

Since Mexico belongs to Concacaf they have to be bring their best team to that cup.

It's Concacaf, they could bring their youth squad and they'd probably win.

Blue Lou

It was to bring more money in for CONCACAF, they even introduced a playoff game for Gold Cup winners to compete for a place at the FIFA Confederations Cup.

Tobe

ok in before some else says it, peru is gonna end up dead last. this is coming from a peruvian mind you.

Nice OP. I don't really have anyone I'm really cheering for (except for when someone is playing against Uruguay) so I'm just hoping to watch some good games.

Tobe

Can't do worse than Jamaica :p

oh trust me that i wouldnt be impressed if they are worst. i hope that the fifa scandal affects my local federation and we finally get rid of all the corruption here and finally focus on the goddamn sport.

Tagyhag

Mexico didn't even reach the final in the last Gold Cup...

Ah, I remember now.

But no worries, my post was more about throwing shade to the governing body than to speak about Mexico's amazing ability to choke time and time again.

Ledbetter

I know the games against South American teams are more interesting, but Mexico has nothing to do there as they belong to CONCACAF and actually winning the Gold Cup will get them a chance to go to Confederations.

But then, Mexico will probably get destroyed on both tournaments :(

Eila

Mexico didn't even reach the final in the last Gold Cup...

That was a B team in the Gold Cup 2013. The big team went to the Confederations cup,
where we went out in group stage.
There is just not enough depth to make two 23 men squads in Mexico, and specially with injuries.
In the past Copa America Mexico used to get good results bringing A/B teams, but all of the smaller CONMEBOL teams have really stepped up (except Peru and Bolivia lol). Now bringing these teams just won't be enough to get far.

v1lla21

Mexico is more focused on getting to the confederations cup.

We have a competent squad but we lack forwards.
Anyone thinking the 3 friendlies we played mattered, they are wrong. Herrera gas always used friendlies to try players and new things. He doesn't care much for the score. Our midfield is strong if he plays Flores, Tecatito, and Montes. Our forwards should be Jimenez and Vuoso.

mreddie

I'm guessing Mexico gives no fucks about this and is more focused on the Gold Cup. Although I maybe speaking crazy but what if Mexico wins both Cu-Yeah that shit ain't happening.

Dinokill

Argentina is going to choke like they always do. Messi will do shit as usual.

Brazil is going to win. Dunga knows how to win tournaments.

FuuRe

Oh i pity the poor people living around Plaza Italia

You will get fucked no matter who wins or losses

Mexico is more focused on getting to the confederations cup.

We have a competent squad but we lack forwards.
Anyone thinking the 3 friendlies we played mattered, they are wrong. Herrera gas always used friendlies to try players and new things. He doesn't care much for the score. Our midfield is strong if he plays Flores, Tecatito, and Montes. Our forwards should be Jimenez and Vuoso.

This is funny to me , Mexico will embarrass themselves in Copa America so they can go
embarrass themselves in the Confederations .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom