• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Crazy, Stupid Love' Filmmakers to Write, Direct Joker and Harley Quinn Movie

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
@ this and all the other DCEU news we've gotten so far this week:

giphy.gif

It feels like they realized stuff wasn't going well, have decided to course correct, and are now just wildly throwing Hail Marys everywhere.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
It feels like they realized stuff wasn't going well, have decided to course correct, and are now just wildly throwing Hail Marys everywhere.
Or the more logical theory... They course corrected over the past 3-4 months after seeing the reception to Wonder Woman and now all their info is leaking out at one time because they finally do have a plan. WB/DC doesn't seem to like getting ahead of things like Marvel/Disney do and control their announcements.

Litan

Or the more logical theory... They course corrected over the past 3-4 months after seeing the reception to Wonder Woman and now all their info is leaking out at one time because they finally do have a plan. WB/DC doesn't seem to like getting ahead of things like Marvel/Disney do and control their announcements.
How is that 'the more logical theory'?
They announced a slate at Comic Con.

They killed Sirens for this garbage? Good job DC.

Millenial's Bonnie and Clyde.

They will kill themselves by deleting their Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook accounts.

I'm particularly waiting for Millennial's Romeo and Juliet, where they die because they get a "message not read" when talking about the poison.

Village

why the fuck are you even making a movie about one of the most abusive comic book relationships ever?

Like fucking what?

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
How is that 'the more logical theory'?
They announced a slate at Comic Con.
Yeah and there were movies not on that slate which were announced and are still happening, like Gotham City Sirens and Nightwing. The Joker/Harley movie was also rumored to be in development right around Comic Con as well, but since there was no other info it was quickly forgotten about. Guess the report was right, after all.

They killed Sirens for this garbage? Good job DC.
They didn't kill Sirens for this... it was reported wrong and has since been corrected.

why the fuck are you even making a movie about one of the most abusive comic book relationships ever?

Like fucking what?
And? Maybe they'll show the toxic relationship and the whole point of the movie is Harley realizing that Joker is terrible for her and she breaks it off with him? We don't really know anything at this point.

robotrock

Banned
I kind of can't believe Jared Leto is going to sign up to play the Joker again. Dude usually plays it smart with his film choices (other than Suicide Squad).

Village

It doesn't have to be written as abusive.

That's like writing the punisher focused story and him not being portayed as a fucking crazy person.

You've lost the narrative , or it some cartoonist shit where's the sorcerer suprime. To which, I would watch a movie where joker became Dr.Fate, but i'm gonna hazard a guess film isn't that.

And? Maybe they'll show the toxic relationship and the whole point of the movie is Harley realizing that Joker is terrible for her and she breaks it off with him? We don't really know anything at this point.

Wonderwoman hasn't shown me DC in movie form can write anything this nuanced. And Wonderwoman was good, we aren't even talk about the rest of this shit. You don't think I .would like to see some marvel level jessica jones shit? Hell yeah, but I don't trust anyone at DC to do that. Let alone their previous statements specifically pointing out how this harly isn't a strong harley that can beat up the joker or whatever they said

Shaanyboi

Banned
I have no clue what will actually be made from DC after Aquaman which I think was the only one reported to be shooting.
Shazam is supposed to film next, but we still have absolutely no clues on casting etc. Even the Rock who was cast years ago as Black Adam isn't even going to be in it.

DiscoJer

IMHO, they really need to separate the Harley Quinn character from the Jokier. I mean, as it is, basically she's the poster child of someone in an abusive relationship and to me it's kinda creepy how they keep pushing that angle. I mean, while those exist, at the same time, it seems like they are almost glamorizing it.

Cuburt

maxresdefault.jpg

lmao We're back, baby!

This rumor was not Gotham City Sirens, it's not the plot of Suicide Squad 2.

It really is it's own thing; a new Joker and Harley love story with Leto Joker. The Harley/Joker Cinematic Universe. I can't stop laughing.

They should have a Baby Lexsie Eisenberg and Letoker team up film and have Letoker in the Joker origin film. It's only right to go out in a blaze of dumpster fire glory.

Goodstyle

It absolutely should. Harley is best away from the Joker. Er strength is overcoming his abuse and going her own way.
Literally the opposite of this is true. The best Harley appearances have been in support of the Joker, Harley on her own has been consistently shitty which is why the character has gone down the toilet in recent years. She doesn't make sense on her own. If she's breaking away from him, why would she keep the clown theme and the name he gave her? It's ridiculous.

You can have a relationship that isn't abusive work between them. Think The Monarch and Dr. Girlfriend from Venture Bros. That'd honestly be way better than the edgy bullshit we've seen from the New 52 where Joker has chained up proto Harley skeletons kept somewhere. Just dumb.

IMHO, they really need to separate the Harley Quinn character from the Jokier. I mean, as it is, basically she's the poster child of someone in an abusive relationship and to me it's kinda creepy how they keep pushing that angle. I mean, while those exist, at the same time, it seems like they are almost glamorizing it.

Trouble is they cut out the physical abuse and lessened the mental abuse for the version of Suicide Squad released. What you're left with in Suicide Squad is... overly protective Joker?

Yesssssssssssssss
More Joker and Harley movies, please ^^

cipher peon I need your thoughts on this the rest of gaf can fuck off
While probably said in jest, like a vampire I'll take the opportunity to enter and talk more about it as I've been invited :3

I'm happy about this. Out of all of the films dedicated to these two characters, I'm most uncertain about the Joker origin film for numerous reasons (I LIKE Jared Leto's Joker so I don't want him to be replaced and the Joker works best when he doesn't have an origin story or anything like it, I hate the Red Hood history of his character). For this film in particular? It definitely feels superfluous and less interesting than the Sirens or solo HQ film, but I enjoyed their dynamic in Suicide Squad and I love the characters so I'll take whatever I can get.

I can understand those who feel uneasy about the decision due to the abuse themes that the characters often have in their history, but I felt that those themes were deliberately ignored in Suicide Squad... which many people dislike. I don't mind it, because I like the fresh take on their dynamic, and it would definitely lead to this film being less uncomfortable on the surface.

I do hope they break up though, because even though I have no particular stake in seeing Harley and Poison Ivy together (I'm indifferent to who Harley is with, as long as it isn't Red Tool), I think solo Harley is freaking cool. Her New 52/Rebirth run has some really good character spots in it and even her post breakup outbursts in the New 52 Suicide Squad run were very engaging. I don't agree at all that Harley works best when paired with the Joker, because like Batman and Joker she's an extraordinarily flexible character who can and has worked very well in a variety of situations. Besides, I think Harley is at her best when she's teaming up with Power Girl, who I think would be a great addition to the DCEU because she seems to be a perfect fit for Snyder's...very strange relationship with portraying female sexuality and strength. But I'm just rambling at this point.

Anyways, to sum it up: I am happy for the very shallow reason that it's more of what I like, even if I admit what I like is problematic and critically unpopular. Considering that I rarely get works of media that feels like it was made for my aesthetic and tonal sensibilities, I can live with that.

This will be big money from the hot topic and suicide squad crowd. Pretty good idea. Surprised they got the this is us ppl for it. Must have been Leto and Robbie that got them in

No interest in this at all. But I love that they're just blindly throwing darts with elseworlds and ideas like this. Makes the landscape much more intriguing than just having another mcu

Ronin Ray

I kind of can't believe Jared Leto is going to sign up to play the Joker again. Dude usually plays it smart with his film choices (other than Suicide Squad).

I just feel like the joker's face will get burnt off some how and he will get plastic surgery or the joker just cuts his own face off because he's so crazy ooooo spooky. Either way easy recast. Then slowly all the dumb tattoos will disappear.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Do the WB DC strategy really is "let's throw shit at a wall and see what sticks."

Seriously, the Harley-Joker relationship is about as fucked up as you can get. Why would you glamourize that?

Ross61

Do the WB DC strategy really is "let's throw shit at a wall and see what sticks."

Seriously, the Harley-Joker relationship is about as fucked up as you can get. Why would you glamourize that?

Harley-Joker is bad, but there are definitely more fucked up relationships. And that's saying something about comics.

Harley-Joker is bad, but there are definitely more fucked up relationships. And that's saying something about comics.

Of course there are, but who cares about some relationships that ten people know about and probably will never get a movie. This one is shitty enough.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Deadline corrected their story to clear up GCS confusion,

Gotham City Sirend still on (good!) with Ayer attached (less good).

Wait, how is that still on? And why weren't any of these movies announced when they did their whole lineup during comic-con? It's so weird that no one really knows what the hell is coming up.

Ross61

Wait, how is that still on? And why weren't any of these movies announced when they did their whole lineup during comic-con? It's so weird that no one really knows what the hell is coming up.

Because the slate is for the movies that are for certain getting made in the immediate future. Not the movies that are in development and won't be in production for a long time.

Temp_User

Jon? Geoff? . . . . who the hell is running the DCEU asylum? This news leaks are terrible PR and confusing as f*ck for fans.

The DCEU sounds like a mess really, my excitement for JL is basically non existent considering all the confusion surrounding future movies. The Batman is not part of it? 10 Joker spin offs? A Harley movie? Flash movie, no flash movie, Cyborg movie, no Cyborg movie.

All of this is extremely confusing and actually off putting.

All these spin offs sound bad because they may feature the worst Joker ever. Nobody asked for this except teenage girls...is that the new target audience for comic book adaptations?

Haven't seen Crazy Stupid Love so maybe this is good news but I'm not into this idea at all. I love the Joker, like most people, but he should never get his own movie. And I'm... ambivalent about Harley Quinn to say the least.

One of the worst things about Suicide Squad was their relationship. They should never actually be in love, that's not who they are. Joker only cares about himself and Batman and Harley works better with the Sirens, trying to regain her identity away from him.

Ugh. Please don't fuck up your best villain more than you already have, DC.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Because the slate is for the movies that are for certain getting made in the immediate future. Not the movies that are in development and won't be in production for a long time.
Did you see that slate? Many of those movies won't go into production for years to come. Are these ten years offf or something?

Top Bottom