• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crow thread: Elon Musk has owned Twitter for one year now

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

What EXACTLY did he say, or "retweet" in this instance?
F_LMtFwWYAAnLJl

Stanning for a billionaire who would step on you if you were lying on the ground in front of him is kind of weird.
We've been through this before, but if you know of another social media platform owner who is fighting government influenced censorship of legally protected speech, I'd be happy to not "stan" for Musk.

Aside from that, I'll "stan" for anyone if I think they're being unfairly criticized in bad faith. I've defended people in political debates who I almost completely disagree with in every way, as long as I think someone is accusing them of something that isn't true.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Imagine still defending this guy while Jews around the world are the victims of grotesque antisemitism due to the war in Gaza.

https://www.reuters.com/world/white...preading-hideous-antisemitic-lies-2023-11-17/

Musk on Wednesday agreed with a post on X that falsely claimed Jewish people were stoking hatred against white people, saying the user who referenced the "Great Replacement" conspiracy theory was speaking "the actual truth."

That conspiracy theory holds that Jewish people and leftists are engineering the ethnic and cultural replacement of white populations with non-white immigrants that will lead to a "white genocide."

He’s a nasty little piece of shit, and it's time to stop acting like he’s anything else.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I deleted my Twitter account a while ago. Some part of that decision was informed by the growing unease I felt at the platform pushing accounts like Ian Miles Cheong's. It doesn't surprise me to see the platform's owner endorsing that account.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Twitter loosing half it's worth isn't a good argument for how well "X" (so corny..) is doing.

The way I see it is that It's possible to admire SpaceX at the same time as giving him all my middle fingers for everything else, including "X".

It must be frustrating for his employees to wake up to a sea of new EM shitpost every morning to remind them of what an utter piece of shit they're working for.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The entire thread of him affirming that disgusting anti-Semitic thread, then a bunch of white nationalists praising him for it is a doozy. They came out of the woodwork. Name a well-known bigot and/or racist and they were cheering him on.

And of course the various alt-righters then came on to try and gaslight about what he tweeted, as if we all didn't read the thread. "Providing context" is a hell of a stupid way to say "lazy gaslighting".

I'm happy to see more big companies finally halting their advertising spends on Twitter. Here's one article but it seems like companies are finally wising up by the hour so who knows how many left by this minute:

By the way, this isn't the first time journalists have chronicled his disturbing anti-Semitic behavior on Twitter:

Last edited:

DKehoe

Imagine still defending this guy while Jews around the world are the victims of grotesque antisemitism due to the war in Gaza.

https://www.reuters.com/world/white...preading-hideous-antisemitic-lies-2023-11-17/

He’s a nasty little piece of shit, and it's time to stop acting like he’s anything else.
Linda Yaccarino having to post on X after seeing the latest that Elon has been posting: "Hey sports fans! Did you know that X is an amazing community to connect with other sports fans and talk about sports? #sports ⚽⚾🏈🎾"

FunkMiller

The entire thread of him affirming that disgusting anti-Semitic thread, then a bunch of white nationalists praising him for it is a doozy. They came out of the woodwork. Name a well-known bigot and/or racist and they were cheering him on.

And of course the various alt-righters then came on to try and gaslight about what he tweeted, as if we all didn't read the thread. "Providing context" is a hell of a stupid way to say "lazy gaslighting".

I've never known such a massive fall from grace with anyone, I don't think. I quite admired the guy up to about 2 years ago. But it's impossible to see him as anything other than a grifting asshole who has ridden on other people's talent these days. The fact he's a racist piece of shit is the icing on the turd cake.

Ozriel

M$FT
Musk has done a lot of things that I think are either stupid or hypocritical, but for a moment consider what the Israel thread would look like without any twitter posts. One year later and Twitter is still by far the most important social media platform. It's not even close.

You say this like he founded Twitter or something. Or that we wouldn’t have tweets if he didn’t purchase the company.

What EXACTLY did he say, or "retweet" in this instance? Because of the hit pieces and unfounded advertising pressure campaigns of the past, I'm thinking this is likely BS. We can't even get half of congress to take this strong a stance on this topic, and I'm supposed to believe Musk is antisemitic?

Complaining about ‘hit pieces’ then happily sharing a tweet referring to IBM’s Nazi support nearly a century ago. What’s that got to do with IBM today?

If you watch the Ben Shapiro video above, you can learn what Musk actually thinks about the subject. Or you can listen to the most bad-faith interpretations of those who despise him.

I'm sure Reuters was more than happy to repeat whatever their sources in the Palestine government told them about "Israel bad," for weeks now, so you'll have to excuse me if I distrust their reporting about what Musk "really meant" here, and I don't treat their worst most hateful interpretation of his criticism of leftist Jewish people like it was Gospel.

What Musk was referring to was this sort of anti-whiteness,

not some garbage anti-Jewish replacement theory that is only supported by musk in the minds of those who would either endorse the views in the video above, or quickly dismiss it as "that's no big deal, those are just college kids." He's saying Jews on the left didn't do enough to speak out against this sort of thing, and now they're waking up to that fact, because they're being targeted by the same sort of worldview. Or as another young lady wisely put it recently:

Last edited:
I just need x to survive long enough so we can observe what happens when Jason Schreier finally blocks every single other user.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Instead of acknowledging his anti-Semitism and apologizing, Musk intends to sue once again (as he did the CCDH):

It will be a waste of money. Suing a news org for merely reporting events as they occurred is a losing strategy. Bringing such a frivolous lawsuit would give the defendant(s) easy cause to ask that Twitter pay their legal fees in conclusion if they brought it to court rather than merely file an anti-SLAPP motion. I imagine they could then countersue for defamation and likely be victorious. After all, as the very visible head of one of the largest social networks, he called Media Matters an evil organization for merely chronicling the extensive hate on the platform and pointing out his anti-Semitism.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I don’t think Elon is antisemitic, more like anti anyone who criticizes him. People who pursue power and the public spotlight tend to have exceedingly thin skin. His recent comments were in poor form though, aligned with hateful people.

Toons

We've been through this before, but if you know of another social media platform owner who is fighting government influenced censorship of legally protected speech, I'd be happy to not "stan" for Musk.
Hes not. He just add with it Musk influenced censorship. We've seen it several times.

Aside from that, I'll "stan" for anyone if I think they're being unfairly criticized in bad faith. I've defended people in political debates who I almost completely disagree with in every way, as long as I think someone is accusing them of something that isn't true.

But hes being criticized in good faith, for doing several stupid things. Nothing being said about him here isn't true either.

Alcibiades

I generally like Musk's approach to free speech and politics but he has to be more careful. Needs a Twitter handler to give him feedback on how a post or like will be received.

I don't believe for a second he is anti-semetic, but with this latest scandal, it's obvious that what he interprets as ADL and other left-wing Jewish groups will be interpreted by others as all Jewish groups.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Well if what X said is true, Mediamatters CREATED the events they reported on.

First, I am not inclined to believe anything Musk claims given how often he misrepresents the facts. Like how not long ago he claimed big ad buyers had recently returned, when in fact one had spent $10 - which sounds like an account fee - and another had only spent like $100, which sounds like they were running out whatever ad campaign they had previously bought.

Second, Media Matters obviously cannot create these events. They don't control the Twitter algorithm. It doesn't matter how one browses the service, or how many accounts they use, Twitter placed those ads next to anti-Semitic material. And Musk admitted that those ads appeared next to the offensive material. So even if true, he's once again making a nonsensical argument.

Ozriel

M$FT

To be honest, it feels just as shitty to tweak algorithms to boost his own tweets as the owner, then amplify his own political beliefs using that supercharged visibility.

I don’t think Elon is antisemitic, more like anti anyone who criticizes him. People who pursue power and the public spotlight tend to have exceedingly thin skin. His recent comments were in poor form though, aligned with hateful people.
I don't know if the person he was quoting is antisemitic or not, but he very well might be. Either way, he was definitely careless with his words.

The word "communities" in that post is what the real problem was. Clarification is important, and generalizations are always a bad idea. It seems to me that if Musk has something to say, he'd be better off saying it himself.

Aside from that, I think if a group of people are waking up to the fact that something you've been saying for years might actually be a serious problem, it's much better to welcome them with open arms and acceptance rather than insulting them with a sort of "that's what you get!" attitude. Musk should be taking this opportunity to find common ground.

I also completely agree with your thin skin observation. I just find it completely hypocritical that the same media sources treating Musk like he's hitler for these comments have likely been barely critical of how schools have been handling antisemitism for weeks now. And when they do write about it, they're happy to "both sides" that one (just like the schools themselves), but Musk instantly is determined to be antisemitism incarnate.

gatti-man

Can we take a moment to remember the smug, delusional posters from one year ago who were sure he wouldn't buy it?

Remember the people who were sure Twitter would descend into a Nazi hellhole because people would no longer be banned for saying a man can't become a woman?

Remember the people who said Twitter would go bankrupt because the users would leave, the advertisers would flee, and Mastodon would take over?

Remember when people assured us that Twitter would grind to a halt and the servers would irreparably crash because Elon fired 80% of the staff, who it turned out were just wasting time in pointless meetings and debating about changing icon colors in the app?

Remember how people were sure Twitter wouldn't last one year because Elon was changing too many things that the brilliant Jack Dorsey had established and that Elon didn't understand how to run a tech company? 😂

Yeah.... I remember that too. Fun times. Would anyone like to come forward and admit they were wrong? I would honestly have massive respect for anyone that has the integrity to do that
Twitter is broke and is a total shadow of what it was. If you think otherwise you really didn’t use it. I’ve used Twitter as a financial news resource for years and it’s absolute garbage compared to what it was. It takes longer than 12 months to drive a 40B company into the ground. But Elon has reduced its value by 80% or more so I’d say if anyone needs to eat crow it would be people posting in your style.

gatti-man

And as one twitter user explained:

"Media Matters ran a hit piece with unverified screenshots claiming ads ran next to “anti-semitic content.” IBM pulled all ads on X within hours to save face."

What EXACTLY did he say, or "retweet" in this instance? Because of the hit pieces and unfounded advertising pressure campaigns of the past, I'm thinking this is likely BS. We can't even get half of congress to take this strong a stance on this topic, and I'm supposed to believe Musk is antisemitic?

I saw the post he said “this is the absolute truth” to a post that said Jews deserve all the hate they get because they are anti white. It was some long winded alt right bs that Elon tends to eat up. I don’t think he really thought too hard about it before agreeing with it.

Following Twitter is worse than watchin The Office and reading The Onion.

Oh yeah, by the time you read this Elon already did another Calvin Klein Line. That's lines of Cocaine and Ketamine mix for those who aren't caught up on Elonning.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Following Twitter is worse than watchin The Office and reading The Onion.

Oh yeah, by the time you read this Elon already did another Calvin Klein Line. That's lines of Cocaine and Ketamine mix for those who aren't caught up on Elonning.

I'm expecting him to reference the Protocols of the Elders of Zion any day now.

To be honest, it feels just as shitty to tweak algorithms to boost his own tweets as the owner, then amplify his own political beliefs using that supercharged visibility.
I think it's actually worse than that. He doesn't just amplify whatever he has to say boosting the reach of his own account. By making it so verified (paid) users are always seen first, the strongest voices on the platform in replies are those who agree with the current direction of Twitter enough to pay for it. That, or they care enough about their opposing viewpoint enough to pay for it to be seen, and for them to remain verified. Either way, it's antithetical to free speech.

Free speech is FREE speech. Not paid speech, and not free speech with a subscription. It's like the old saying that capitalism is the absolute worst form of government, except for all the other ones. Musk is the absolute worst person in charge of a social media company, except for all the other ones.

Because all the nonsense Musk pulls is still better than allowing the government to tell you what opinions people can have about an emerging pandemic, the origins of the pandemic, if lockdowns are a good idea, which experts are allowed to have their opinions heard, which news articles people are allowed to see, what political scandals people should be allowed to talk about, which election results people are allowed to question, and so on. It doesn't matter what your feelings are on any of these topics, what matters is the precedent that is being set. You don't let the government decide any of this in a supposedly free society.

Last edited:
He did try his best not to buy it. He was forced to buy it. Place is full of junk compared to before. Old Twitter is gone per Musk. He wants to turn this into completely different.

Thaedolus

This is precisely it. It’s not that someone like Elon is an antisemite because of some belief system, it’s that if the wind blows that way and the antisemites seem to be his friends, he’ll be all chummy with them. He’s fallen into the trap of only listening to people who agree with him and want to wash his balls for clout.

Yoda

While it's certainly has its faults, I prefer the current unfiltered mess to the manipulated variant pre Elon; which was essentially a wing of the democratic party. Whether it ends up being a good investment or not only time will tell; current indicators don't look great, but Tesla mid 2010s also looked like a slow motion train-wreck. The people who bet against him then have lost a lot of money (Jim Chanos, Mark Spiegel, etc...).

ManaByte

While it's certainly has its faults, I prefer the current unfiltered mess to the manipulated variant pre Elon; which was essentially a wing of the democratic party. Whether it ends up being a good investment or not only time will tell; current indicators don't look great, but Tesla mid 2010s also looked like a slow motion train-wreck. The people who bet against him then have lost a lot of money (Jim Chanos, Mark Spiegel, etc...).

Ozriel

M$FT
While it's certainly has its faults, I prefer the current unfiltered mess to the manipulated variant pre Elon; which was essentially a wing of the democratic party.

As against the manipulated variant it is now, where specific voices from specific political leanings are amplified?

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I deleted my Twitter account a while ago. Some part of that decision was informed by the growing unease I felt at the platform pushing accounts like Ian Miles Cheong's. It doesn't surprise me to see the platform's owner endorsing that account.

I had a post deleted criticizing that grifter so I guess he's pretty popular here too...

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
If it means anything we saw how google plus, MySpace, tumblr etc. went down in the last few months people have left Twitter, subscriptions emerged, and Sony no longer does business with Twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom