• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crow thread: Elon Musk has owned Twitter for one year now

Status
Not open for further replies.

decisions

As long as you never click on the For You tab, I think Twitter as it is now is a pretty good experience. The main thing they need to add is a way for you to hide the For You tab, hell I would even pay a small monthly fee for a tier that lets me do that (since not using it probably cuts into the value of Twitter Premium, and therefore their business model). I like Twitter as a way to get quick updates from people that I care about, which is the Following tab. The For You tab is essentially TikTok with less of a filter on shocking, violent, and controversial content. It's really...unhealthy to read.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
This thread is especially a hilarious when you take into account that Twitter is currently going through severe money issues due to the Exodus of advertisers yet again except this time around it's because of musks own ridiculous postings. It also doesn't help that the algorithm has been putting major advertisers next to white supremacist propaganda.

But yeah sure go ahead and make a thread crowing about how the ship is only halfway into the sea and not completely under the water lol

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Anyone noticed a bizarre amount of violent content in the algorithm the last year or so? My twitter feed used to be all NBA, boxing, and videogames. Now half the shit I see is weird street fights and racially tinged rage bait from accounts I don’t follow.

DKehoe

Anyone noticed a bizarre amount of violent content in the algorithm the last year or so? My twitter feed used to be all NBA, boxing, and videogames. Now half the shit I see is weird street fights and racially tinged rage bait from accounts I don’t follow.
I can't say I've been getting that kind of thing in my feed. But switch over to "Following" rather than "For You." For you is shit the algorithm thinks you want to see. Following is just people you follow.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Don't worry guys, Elon has new advertisers now!

prCl9FK.jpg
"White Lives Don't Matter, or something." - Ireland, probably

Elon is incredibly lucky nobody has come up with a decent alternative yet. Which in and of itself, is quite astonishing.

You already have threads and bluesky which combined gives you some of the old twitter experience.

Elon buying twitter pretty much killed the peak twitter experience. That experience just isn’t coming back, and probably can’t be replicated now.

Last edited:

Hudo

The more hilarious story is Zuckerberg's absolutely hilarious attempt at a Twitter clone "Threads". Even with Instagram backing his shit up, he failed.

Last edited:

DKehoe

The more hilarious story is Zuckerberg's absolutely hilarious attempt at a Twitter clone "Threads". Even with Instagram backing his shit up, he failed.
With Zuckerberg already having Facebook, Instagram and Whatsapp it would have been a disaster for Threads to be a success.

DrFigs

I guess it really goes to show that no company is ever really too big to fail. Twitter's still hanging on, but not doing nearly as well as it could have been doing if Elon left it alone.

ManaByte

Worked for Dana White. Sometimes principals are > the bottom line. Fuck the ideological blackmailers. You know this, Mana.

If every platform stood up, the tune would change real quick. Advertisers are nothing without platforms to advert on.
The problem is Meta is more than happy to take their money.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The problem is Meta is more than happy to take their money.
Meta isn't a good breaking news aggregate. No matter how much people harp or try and doom & gloom twitter, it will remain for some time the superior aggregate for quick news takes into the social media ether, for better or for worse.

Every temporary stand or attack has folded. Twitter was never the bastion of profit margin. Good super pac grift at one time tho.

Raonak

Banned
Sometimes principals are > the bottom line.

Sometimes the advertisers are the ones with the principals.

Kinda wild that we live in a scenario that the advertises are the ones wanting racism, sexism, bigitory and shit like that removed.
Where the social media platforms LOVE boosting toxicity because it drives engagement.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Kinda wild that we live in a scenario that the advertises are the ones wanting racism, sexism, bigitory and shit like that removed.
Where the social media platforms LOVE boosting toxicity because it drives engagement.
Like the MSM and Gawker (Deadspin) writers, etc..

Sure.

Last edited:

In the 80s, Nintendo didn't want even a cross to appear in their video games. No religious symbols of any kind. These days, adherence to orthodoxy surrounding race and gender intersectionality is essentially a new secular religion* so that's the association modern companies would most like to avoid.

* How that's working out: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/hama...-declares-war.1662101/page-209#post-268661133

Last edited:

Toons

I love it. What's the point of having "fuck you money" if you allow yourself to be controlled by dishonest hacks pushing a false narrative? I love that he's standing up for free speech even at a cost to his own "likeability" by sensitive liberals.

He allowed himself to be controlled when he waved his dick around to buy twitter, then tried to back out and got forced into it anyway.

MrMephistoX

Literally like an hour before fuckyougate happened I got a tone deaf as fuck sales deck from my company’s Twitter rep…hilarious in retrospect 90% brand safety this 10 % fluffing our nuts to get us to spend more on Twitter Ads. I wish I could screenshot this thing but it’s probably watermarked and I’d get fired with my luck.

Last edited:

GHG

Longer clip:

Unstable behavior tbh. And going to Israel immediately after getting massive blowback from his comments on X was absolutely what it appeared to be, an attempt to salvage his PR.

Not a great response all around.

He doesn't look well.

Is this what the male menopause looks like?

I'm half serious when I say that because he should take a leaf out of Bezos' book and start taking care of himself.

Last edited:

GHG

"Hi Bob, hope you're watching"

Not gonna lie, that was pretty awesome. Might lose money, but totally worth it 😂

Considering the underlying subject matter that's caused all of this, I have to ask how exactly it's "worth it"?

History won't reflect well on this if it's ultimately what leads to Twitter's demise.

Longer clip:

Unstable behavior tbh. And going to Israel immediately after getting massive blowback from his comments on X was absolutely what it appeared to be, an attempt to salvage his PR.

Not a great response all around.

Oh, that's even worse than the short clip. Considerably worse.

Instead of being the "shock jock" of social media, Musk should have just been focused on building a platform for content creators and focused on the incentives that would involve. If he did it right, advertisers almost wouldn't be able to leave the platform. As is, twitter has such little advertising appeal that advertisers were already leaving the platform before Musk bought it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom