• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cutting Sugar Rapidly Improves Health Markers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KorrZ

It's hard to cut your sugar intake completely, as so many random things have added sugar, or even just the huge amount of natural sugar in things like fruit.

I've personally cut out pop for several years now and have never been a sweets person, but still haven't been able to cut it out completely.

What about cereal? I only drink water, rarely eat dessert, and never eat candy, but I eat big fuck-off bowels of cereal for breakfast and sometimes in the evenings if I'm feeling extraordinarily lazy.
It's pure sugar. Even without the added sugar, it's all wheat and corn that is nothing but glucose blood sugar spiking you when you eat it. Cereal is garbage.

spuckthew

"Sugar" you find naturally in fruits and other foods isn't as bad as HFCS or added sugar, but that doesn't mean you should go overboard with natural sugar, either.

Even if you're drinking a fruit juice with no added sugar, most of the time, one cup is still going to have about 25 grams of sugar. That's just way too much.

I actually stay away from fruit juices altogether. I still eat fruits themselves, though.

Ah ok. Yeah, I don't drink fruit juice either because I don't the acidity (and obviously it's fairly high in sugar too).

Eat better cereal.

What do you recommend?

Greddleok

I don't really like how the authors log transform the data to do the analysis. Seems disingenuous to me, but I don't know enough about stats to really have an opinion on it.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
I thought there were different types of sugar? Or is the stuff in fruit just the same as a tablespoon of granulated sugar in tea/coffee and the same as gummy bears?

Either way, I already know I eat too much cereal - it's the only mark on an otherwise healthyish diet (I'm very slim and run quite often also). "It's ok, you're not fat, another bowel won't hurt"...that's kind of my problem...I love cereal too much.

Robert Lustig, the man popular for determining that sugar is toxic, says the fructose in the table sugar/HFCS we consume is the main factor in causing metabolic issues. Basically this would mean there isn't a difference between a can of coke or a glass of orange juice when it comes to the damage dealt.

The sugar in raw fruits and vegetables is mitigated by the fiber found in such foodstuff.

Zaph

Completely anecdotal, but I cut back on sugar a few years ago (no sodas, reduced carbs etc) and I wish I did it long ago. Aside from the obvious like staying in shape being easier, it seemed to affect me in ways I never would have guessed - my general mood and energy levels throughout the day are more balanced, I sleep better, digestion/bowel movements all seems smoother.

Not saying it's the same for everyone, but there really should be more awareness about how powerful an impact sugar can have on your entire body. Obesity is just the most extreme part of it.

MilkyJoe

It's hard to cut your sugar intake completely, as so many random things have added sugar, or even just the huge amount of natural sugar in things like fruit.

I've personally cut out pop for several years now and have never been a sweets person, but still haven't been able to cut it out completely.

With the fruit you can have a few nuts at the same time and it brings the GL down.

I'm glad I cut sugar completely from my diet 2 years ago. One day I just said "fuck this!!".

I always have been a healthy dude, so I can't say anything specific about how my health improved, but one thing I noticed is even considering I'm 40 years old, from time to time a couple of pimples used to appear in my face here and there. Since I cut sugar, I never saw a new one.

I commented that to a friend of mine who is a nutritionist and she said it's well documented that cutting sugar from your diet improves a lot your skin's health.

EDIT: What Zaph said happened to me too, regarding sleeping better and having better digestion.

EDIT 2: Here in neogaf, in other nutrition related thread, somebody posted this extremely interesting article about how sugar was dismissed for decades as having a huge impact in our health, it's really fascinating (in a sad and infuriating way)...

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/apr/07/the-sugar-conspiracy-robert-lustig-john-yudkin

Slaythe

Sugar is needed for the body.

Just eat healthy sugars. Fruits, etc...

What you have to be really careful about, is added sugar.

That means no coke, no soda, no fruit juices and what not. That's the worst. It's like drinking poison.

Completely anecdotal, but I cut back on sugar a few years ago (no sodas, reduced carbs etc) and I wish I did it long ago. Aside from the obvious like staying in shape being easier, it seemed to affect me in ways I never would have guessed - my general mood and energy levels throughout the day are more balanced, I sleep better, digestion/bowel movements all seems smoother.

Not saying it's the same for everyone, but there really should be more awareness about how powerful an impact sugar can have on your entire body. Obesity is just the most extreme part of it.

Think about what sugar does and then it will make sense why you're noticing this.

That means no coke, no soda, no fruit juices and what not. That's the worst. It's like drinking poison.
What are healthy sugars? Also your body needs sugar, it does not however need you to consume sugar. Gluconeogenisis is your body's process of conversion to glucose. If you never ate anything but fat and protein your body would be fine. Even low carb people don't do that however.

entremet

I think you mean glucose, correct?

You can find that in whole foods. Fruits, vegetables, whole grains like oatmeal, rice, legumes. You're not getting fat off those. White rice can be problem for some people though.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
It's extremely hard to do if you are poor af...seriously wish they would just make a sugar free diet or something and call it a day.

linsivvi

It's extremely hard to do if you are poor af...seriously wish they would just make a sugar free diet or something and call it a day.

The researchers only swapped out food high in added sugar. It's not a sugar free diet (is it even possible?). I mean, they even gave them pizza. It's not really hard even if you are poor. Just need to make an effort to know what kind of food are a danger to your body.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yeahh, i took a closer look at yogurt the other day and stopped buying it so much. I think it's all those low fat commercials that make you think it's a health food haha.
The people who made yogurt appear healthy are goddamned geniuses. If you look at its nutritional profile, it's a dessert. It's like eating cake filling.

The only yogurt to go with it some Fage unflavored, sprinkle your protein powder in it. Goddamn good.

Eh, that's just an excuse.

Step one - cut out Soda/pop. That one measure will drastically reduce your sugar intake. One Pop has 1.5 times your daily recommended sugar intake.

entremet

Eh, that's just an excuse.

Step one - cut out Soda/pop. That one measure will drastically reduce your sugar intake. One Pop has 1.5 times your daily recommended sugar intake.

I'm still shocked when I go grocery shopping and see families, many with fat kids, buy cases of the stuff.

There's a huge disconnect in nutritional education.

Man I dumped soda but have a hard time dumping sugar. I get super intense cravings and cave. Muffins, cookies, cake, pie, candy apples, truffles...chocolate covered fruits and nuts...Fuck...

entremet

This sucks because sugar is in EVERYTHING.

at least in the USA

That's why sticking to "whole foods" is a good rule of thumb for health.

I won't get into the semantic war of whole versus processed. But eating from the periphery of the supermarket is good way of looking at this--fruits, veg, meat, poultry, fish.

Legumes are a good exception to this rule, though. Beans, lentils, etc, are amazing.

hoola

Neo Member
This article accurate for me too. I used to consume massive amounts of sugar. I would eat multiple cookies, sugar filled cereal, ice cream, candy and juices throughout the day, almost exclusively. I realized I was gaining weight and I was getting headaches every single day. Plus I would get headaches when I was even remotely hungry. Once I cut out the above items everything improved. I now have lost a bit of weight and don't get headaches at all except on Monday which I allow to be my cheat day. It can be hard considering I work in a candy/ice cream store, but it is for the better.

If you are getting a lot of headaches too I suggest cutting sugar intake and see if that helps.

What they don't tell you: if you aren't making everything you eat from scratch, you're eating a ton of added sugar. Way, way more than you would assume.

Even basic things like yogurt, peanut butter, bread, and tomato sauce come with added sugar. EVERYTHING has it. This + everyone driving to every single place they go has destroyed us.

What they don't tell you: if you aren't making everything you eat from scratch, you're eating a ton of added sugar. Way, way more than you would assume.

Even basic things like yogurt, peanut butter, bread, and tomato sauce come with added sugar. EVERYTHING has it. This + everyone driving to every single place they go has destroyed us.
And even then, you're probably best off avoiding peanut stuff in general. Pick different nuts.

Of course, I still eat a box of donuts every once in a while 😅

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This article accurate for me too. I used to consume massive amounts of sugar. I would eat multiple cookies, sugar filled cereal, ice cream, candy and juices throughout the day, almost exclusively. I realized I was gaining weight and I was getting headaches every single day. Plus I would get headaches when I was even remotely hungry. Once I cut out the above items everything improved. I now have lost a bit of weight and don't get headaches at all except on Monday which I allow to be my cheat day. It can be hard considering I work in a candy/ice cream store, but it is for the better.

If you are getting a lot of headaches too I suggest cutting sugar intake and see if that helps.

This is me. I'm currently cutting back on all sweets and I used to get headaches non stop. It was terrible and I've noticed when I cut out refined sugars they go away nearly completely.

jmdajr

I think you mean glucose, correct?

You can find that in whole foods. Fruits, vegetables, whole grains like oatmeal, rice, legumes. You're not getting fat off those. White rice can be problem for some people though.

Correct. You actually need zero sugar. Meaning fructose and sucrose.

The kids are drinking mostly juices and soda. Empty calories and high in sugar content.

I'd bet if even that was taken out of the diet it would bring in positive results.

But what would be the alternative for kids? I can imagine how hard it would be to get your kid to drink more water.

What about normal people though? The study seems to only concern fat people.

Normal and fat people eh? I don't think it came out on here as it should have meant in your head

jmdajr

What about normal people though? The study seems to only concern fat people.

It would probbaly help 90% of all people. It helped me and I wasn't obese. My blood sugar levels were poor though.

So that is better and my cholesterol levels even more so.

Stevia for coffee? Oatmeal with fruits

Whole Foods Brand Stevia is the best with the least amount of after taste and also inexpensive compared to some alternatives. Lastly, there's no added dextrose or anything, just pure Stevia.

I completely ditched juices probably at least a year ago if not longer. I'll rarely have a diet soda. I have a sweet tooth though and just need to eliminate other things from my diet.

entremet

There is a period in there separating the two thoughts. Reading comprehension. The reasons for regulation are different, but I think sugar should be regulated in the same way as alcohol.

Bloomberg wanted to limit sugary drinks in NYC and people went nuts about it.

IceCold

Sugar isn't needed. Essential carbs don't exist. Essential fats on the other hand....

Personality, I've greatly decreased by carbs/sugar intake. Usually I eat more of them during the weekend because that's when I do most of my eating out and drinking, but on average I don't eat more than 50g a day. I did a blood test recently, and my lipid levels are great. I guess butter isn't so bad after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom