• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cutting Sugar Rapidly Improves Health Markers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRG01

I distinctly remember the day when I was confused about sugars in high school, namely that sugars are absorbed and deposited as fat whereas fats were absorbed as fatty acids. The teacher shrugged my question off, but it was something that bothered me until Bitter Truth videos came out.

THEaaron

This sucks because sugar is in EVERYTHING.

at least in the USA

The industry is pouring sugar into everything. You also get way too bad food in Germany.

- super cheap meat(that gets bloated with water so the revenue is higher)
- soda
- processed food is generally bad and available en masse
- flavor enhancers in nearly everything that you don't cook yourself
- hardened fats

It's not that Germany is better in terms of the availability of bad food.

A healthy way of life with a good nutrition still seems to be bound to the intelligence of single the consumer. Bad food is available everywhere.

̄ \_(ツ)_/ ̄

There should still be a news or report available how the sugar industry passed the buck onto fat and that we have loads of food available with reduced fats but struggle to find sugar reduced stuff.

While salt isn't as bad as sugar, holy shit do they pump that into everything. Even health foods at stores have tons and tons of salt in them. I find it funny that low sodium options have just a little less sodium than the normal version. Its why I try to make a lot of soups and stuff myself in a crockpot because I don't add anywhere near as much salt.

273322.jpg

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Don't drink soda.
Don't put sugar in your coffee/tea.
Stop eating so many sweets.
Done.
Bingo. Y'all don't gotta swear off all sugar because it's "like poison". But at the least just do those three things and your life will improve. I did and my skin and energy levels improved. Try looking on the back of the box when you buy stuff.
Processed food contains sugar. So add that to your list :)
Going from 500% of your Sugar recommendation to 100% is gonna be a huge quality of life jump for anyone. Saying you gotta keep cutting is really intimidating. Baby steps, y'know?

Daedardus

Best thing you can do is exercising though. Improves your heart, your lungs, makes your vessels less likely to clot and burns the sugar on top of it, while it reduces the fat in your organs. Plus thousands of other things like increased endurance and reduced stress, it's a lot better than just cutting sugars and thinking you will do fine.

A good diet is important, but if you exercise well, you are allowed to eat moderate amounts of sugar, other carbs and fat. After all, you need the calories to burn.

jmdajr

Best thing you can do is exercising though. Improves your heart, your lungs, makes your vessels less likely to clot and burns the sugar on top of it, while it reduces the fat in your organs. Plus thousands of other things like increased endurance and reduced stress, it's a lot better than just cutting sugars and thinking you will do fine.

A good diet is important, but if you exercise well, you are allowed to eat moderate amounts of sugar, other carbs and fat. After all, you need the calories to burn.

What is a moderate amount of sugar though?

According to the American Heart Association (AHA), the maximum amount of added sugars you should eat in a day are (7): Men: 150 calories per day (37.5 grams or 9 teaspoons). Women: 100 calories per day (25 grams or 6 teaspoons).

So basically one can of soda and you are over max for the day. And that doesn't count all the the bullshit you eat.

In my opinion moderate amount of sugar is no buendo. Unless moderate means seldom.

I think most people wouldn't even know how to define moderate.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
My brother wsa not feeling well a lot and after a bunch of tests they found he was pre-diabetic and put him on a low/no carb diet.

He was always a cuddly figured bloke, not fat, just a dad bod/Geof Bingham type of body and he has lost so much weight.

I thought I would see what it's like, and I can tell you the main draw is I never feel lethargic after lunch any more. I guess substituting carbs for protein, and eating more pulses and nuts, has had a two fold effect, lost belly fat and noticeably more muscle mass.

I'd recommend it to anyone.

And let's face it ,chicken is much better than bread...
:/ in the same boat as your brother.

THEaaron

According to the American Heart Association (AHA), the maximum amount of added sugars you should eat in a day are (7): Men: 150 calories per day (37.5 grams or 9 teaspoons). Women: 100 calories per day (25 grams or 6 teaspoons).

So basically one can of soda and you are over max for the day. And that doesn't count all the the bullshit you eat.

In my opinion moderate amount of sugar is no buendo. Unless moderate means seldom.

The WHO(world health organisation) says no one "should" exceed the amount of 25grams sugar a day. They lowered the value not too long ago since more and more people are struggling to stay healthy because diabetes and adiposity is growing and growing amongst the world.

Moderation is the key to maintaining a healthy lifestyle while still occasionally indulging in sugary sweets. Plus, exercise is a must no matter how healthy of a lifestyle you have.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I've been dabbling with stevia the last few years and the stuff is kinda gross, but I guess I need to move over and just deal with it.

onipex

Sugar is a drug. I cut out soda and stopped adding sugar to drinks before but as soon as someone gave me a glass of sweet tea after I ordered unsweet I was hooked again.

I've been cutting back again after years failing. Already lost 20 pounds. Cut back on bread too for the first time ever.

I honestly don't know why people like sugar that much. I mean when you're a kid (<12) I get it, you like maple syrup on your pancakes and sugary drinks, but if after you're 15 you're still drinking soda, having honey nut cheerios for breakfast and putting sugar on your coffee/tea then there's no way you're having a healthy life.

I bought my first bag of sugar in 10 years a couple of days ago, and it was just because I needed to prepare nectar for hummingbirds. Giving up sugar is super simple (pun somewhat intended).

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Don't drink soda.

Done.

I just can't do the first one, though it's often artificially sweetened and I'm down to less than one a day.

Hate sugar in coffee and I'm the kind of person who prefers plain Cheerios so I can sometimes stay below 30g (or 20g) of added sugar a day if I've had no regular cola.

Malvolio

I mostly disagree. A healthy diet comes first for me. Of course, I think both are necessary, but health starts in the kitchen. The idea that exercise is the counter balance to eating unhealthy foods is a dangerous mindset.

Just cut soda folks

Don't drink soda.

Done.

The soda, coffee and tea thing would go so far with so many people.

When I cut sweet tea so much changed, almost immediately. I feel better and am healthier. I'm pretty sure my weight loss is 90 percent cutting sweet tea and cereal.

I just can't do the first one, though it's often artificially sweetened and I'm down to less than one a day.

If you're already to that point than you absolute can. You're definitely capable of it. It can be hard but you can do it.

L00P

Makes sense. Last year I was underweight, but because of college I started to consume lots of coffee. By the end of last year, I became slightly overweight. I was like what the hell I don't even eat three square meals a day(though admittedly I almost always stopped by Tim Hortons for breakfast that year). I lost like a quarter of what I gained by just not putting sugar in my coffee earlier this year and avoiding anything sweet. Imagine what I can do if I actually exercised!

Weckum

The soda, coffee and tea thing would go so far with so many people.

When I cut sweet tea so much changed, almost immediately. I feel better and am healthier. I'm pretty sure my weight loss is 90 percent cutting sweet tea and cereal.

If you're already to that point than you absolute can. You're definitely capable of it. It can be hard but you can do it.

For me it was sugary iced tea, but yeah.

Just water and diet soda these days.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is there a difference in sugary intakes for men & women? Because there's a noticeable difference between my gf and me (i've got maybe 30 lbs less than her?) despite us having pretty much the same diet more or less. The main difference goes for the breakfast where I eat toast and she take a bowl of cereal(Mini-Wheats usually) & milk, and she sometimes buy small bags of sugary snacks, while my snacks are mostly granolas(still sugar in there though), apples & chips?
That can't be just that right? If she just stop eating cereals and her sugary snacks she'll suddenly lose 20lbs over a few months?

Sure, I was always the skinny type, even if I don't do sports and mostly sit in front of a computer all day, but I can't put all the "blame" on my metabolism, can I?

br3wnor

You basically have to force yourself to suffer through it, and then after a week or two it takes fine &#128513;

Yup, I used to be a "2 sugars" person with my coffee, but Dunkin Donuts would always fuck it up, some days would be way too much sugar, or not enough, it was rarely just right, so I decided to stop asking for sugar and just used milk. After a few weeks I was fine and I haven't put sugar in my coffee in probably 4 years now.

The ideal would be to cut milk out of my coffee (just from a convenience sake) but I don't see that happening.

CoryCubed

Absolutely helps to cut sweet tea. I'd go through a few gallons a week (Red Diamond) and now that I cut that out, with roughly the same diet, I've lost ~20 pounds since April.

If i could cut Soda (which i've been good about at time), i'm not in bad shape. I rarely eat sweets, and generally stick to made dishes for dinner. I also don't do heavy breakfests (though i have a feeling Honey Nut Cheerios are gonna end up being worse then i expect)

Malvolio

Is there a difference in sugary intakes for men & women? Because there's a noticeable difference between my gf and me (i've got maybe 30 lbs less than her?) despite us having pretty much the same diet more or less. The main difference goes for the breakfast where I eat toast and she take a bowl of cereal(Mini-Wheats usually) & milk, and she sometimes buy small bags of sugary snacks, while my snacks are mostly granolas(still sugar in there though), apples & chips?
That can't be just that right? If she just stop eating cereals and her sugary snacks she'll suddenly lose 20lbs over a few months?

Sure, I was always the skinny type, even if I don't do sports and mostly sit in front of a computer all day, but I can't put all the "blame" on my metabolism, can I?

Women will almost always carry more fat than men. Evolution has shaped their bodies to make sure they are able to provide for a fetus. Plus, hormones have a big effect on weight gain and loss.

Iorv3th

Avoiding sugar isn't that difficult.

I can't drink coffee without some sugar &#65533;&#65533;

Sugar free creamer? Or half/half?

Makes sense. Last year I was underweight, but because of college I started to consume lots of coffee. By the end of last year, I became slightly overweight. I was like what the hell I don't even eat three square meals a day(though admittedly I almost always stopped by Tim Hortons for breakfast that year). I lost like a quarter of what I gained by just not putting sugar in my coffee earlier this year and avoiding anything sweet. Imagine what I can do if I actually exercised!

Coffee should suppress your appetite though. Most weight loss pills are just high in caffeine.

entremet

Absolutely helps to cut sweet tea. I'd go through a few gallons a week (Red Diamond) and now that I cut that out, with roughly the same diet, I've lost ~20 pounds since April.

Man, if you wanna get fat fast, just drink sweet tea everday.

Stuff is crazy bad for you lol.

I think the average person doesn't feel that way. It's feels physically and mentally almost impossible for them.
Yep, it's been in everything a person's eaten for their entire life. It's an incredibly difficult habit to break. It's easy to say it's easy once you're on the other side of it.

1 can of soda on average contains 140 calories.

Can you imagine if you drunk like maybe 2 a day as a random drink throughout the day. Add on top of that the large soda people get with their fast food experience (if they eat at places close to their work). It adds up.

It's a coffee cup (or 2) in the morning and water exclusively for the rest of the day. Just that alone has helped me lose like 15-20 lbs. And keep the weight off because I'm not drinking empty calories.

I was a huge fan of Arizona Ice Teas too. Half n Half - Arnold Palmers. I would go through 2 20oz bottles a day. It wasn't good for me.

nubbe

Sugar is absolutely a drug and it should be illegal for food producers to add additional quantities to food and beverage

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Those of you lookin for better milk with less sugar, look up Fairlife milk. Should be in most peoples' area. Cuts about 50% of the sugar out of milk. Every step helps.

ColdPizza

Banned
i would have a harder time quitting beer than sugar...in fact, i feel that as I have aged my palette has gone for more acidy/bitter foods and less sugary.

I'm gone from like 40oz. of soda a day to just water and black coffee.

Insulin resistance worsens over time with poor diet but can be reversed. I've heard it can begin in as quickly as a few days or a week which seems in line with some other studies that have pointed out that as little as 5 days of eating junk food can negatively affect your gut bacteria and gene expression.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I'm trying so hard to cut sugar. I went a week without any sweets and then I ate 1kg of cheese cake in two sittings. Lifting weights allows me to not see the aesthetic effects of sugar but systemically I will end up suffering. My grandfather died from diabetes and my father just had his leg amputated because of diabetes. I barely have any sugar in the house as it is but the temptation is unreal. I quit cigarettes cold turkey, drinking, etc. but sugar is on another level of addictive.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm trying so hard to cut sugar. I went a week without any sweets and then I ate 1kg of cheese cake in two sittings. Lifting weights allows me to not see the aesthetic effects of sugar but systemically I will end up suffering. My grandfather died from diabetes and my father just had his leg amputated because of diabetes. I barely have any sugar in the house as it is but the temptation is unreal. I quit cigarettes cold turkey, drinking, etc. but sugar is on another level of addictive.

It is brutal, it really is. The only way I could deal with it is days of withdrawals (it's basically a drug, for real) and then clarity. But you gotta make sure that you never set foot in there again or its hell.

G.ZZZ

Pizza vindicated. You're welcome americans.

Also, sugar after you're 12 is so strange to me. Sweet things are like once in a week thing, sugar make everything feel extremely bloated flavor wise, can't eat it at all. When i was a kid it was different i guess because i was much more active and the brain as well, but after puberty sweet things became uneatable for me, unless i'm on some chemical hunger shit.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Glad to see more reports of this coming out. The attempts to boil all food down to a simple caloric number in relation to human health has done immeasurable damage.

Sugar also kills collagen and therefore ages you quicker. Awful stuff.
Haven't had refined sugar or anything containing it in more than 10 years. I do not miss it at all. (I remember craving it the first couple of weeks, though).
Too many benefits to list. What I like the most is people always thinking I'm 12 years younger than I am, and that my weight never fluctuates, no matter how much I eat.
I should note that I also don't eat meat, only fish (plenty!) and I substitute chick peas and lentils for potatoes, bread, spaghetti and rice. I wish everybody could experience living with such a diet for a year, I don't think anyone would ever want to go back to their disastrous former ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom