• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 3rd person pre-alpha gameplay video from August 2013 leaked on 4chan

Kilau

Gold Member
Nice ass.

gun hd GIF

Butch_0451

As if the game didn’t have enough problems already, just imagine all the extra shit they’d had to have dealt with if it was in third person.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
So the story I always heard was that they started development while Witcher 3 was still in development but pulled almost everyone off when Witcher 3 went into crunch and then rebooted development after the expansions shipped.

This definitely seems to back that up, it's clearly an entirely different game. I also think the direction they went with was a lot better, even if they shipped it too early.

Nikodemos

So the story I always heard was that they started development while Witcher 3 was still in development but pulled almost everyone off when Witcher 3 went into crunch and then rebooted development after the expansions shipped.

This definitely seems to back that up, it's clearly an entirely different game. I also think the direction they went with was a lot better, even if they shipped it too early.
They, however, fucked up everything by deciding to go after that open-world GTA scrilla, instead of trying something more narrowly-focused, maybe even hub-based. Also, the rumored late story switch by Badowski (made Reeves's character into a larger part of the story) would have caused a bunch of already-developed stuff to become unusable.

Flabagast

Not only a lot better but also way more original as well. To my knowledge we never got a Deus Ex lite open world as extensive as cyberpunk prior to this.

SF Kosmo

They, however, fucked up everything by deciding to go after that open-world GTA scrilla, instead of trying something more narrowly-focused, maybe even hub-based. Also, the rumored late story switch by Badowski (made Reeves's character into a larger part of the story) would have caused a bunch of already-developed stuff to become unusable.
The open world was awesome, but it brings with it comparisons and expectations from pretty different types.of open world games like GTA. So they look ridiculous with a broken, half-implemented police system or whatever.

Nikodemos

The open world was awesome, but it brings with it comparisons and expectations from pretty different types.of open world games like GTA. So they look ridiculous with a broken, half-implemented police system or whatever.
They never should've gone open-world in the first place. You can sell a hub-style layout with the proper lore.

Reactions: Isa
But they already succeeded in open world with the witcher 3, so its not like they were a stranger to it

Witcher 3 never had thebsame open world as skyrim...but it was the better game.

I expected a witcher 3 design philosophy. Otgers sadly, saw guns and cars and compared to GTA and fallout.

My comparison made more sense since...its an rpg and the dev of the wotcher 3 but...kids will be kids

Nikodemos

But they already succeeded in open world with the witcher 3, so its not like they were a stranger to it
There's a great difference between the relatively sparse open world of TW3, even inside towns/cities, and an open world where you need a huge amount of algorithms for realistically-behaving people.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Not a healthy organization if the workers themselves are mocking the product they are creating.

Can't really foresee a healthy future for CDPR unless they manage to make massive sweeps and changes. Is their management to blame or what is the consensus right now?
Not necessarily. Making a gag reel isn't unheard of. You don't know the intent behind the video. It could just have easily have been a humorous attempt to showcase bugs that needed fixing at one time or another.

harmny

Banned
Not necessarily. Making a gag reel isn't unheard of. You don't know the intent behind the video. It could just have easily have been a humorous attempt to showcase bugs that needed fixing at one time or another.

They are literally making hot dog bikes and replacing adam smasher head with a chicken. Only a moron would see this as something serious. They are having fun.

In fact I would ask how they have time to do all this with all the crunch stories. I thought Jason told me devs looked visibly sick and were almost dying at their desks. Yeah the same Jason that tweeted that this video was the evidence that he was right and then he deleted the tweet because he was so wrong it was embarassing 🤣

harmny

Banned
Bug reel isn't conclusive proof that upper management knew etc etc

The opposite in fact. He tweeted that he was right and this was proof. Then he deleted it because he was absolutely wrong. In fact you had developers from other studios commenting that they do joke reels all the time

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As crazy as it sounds, that super early demo with flat textures and empty buildings didnt look bad as a foundation.

Someone weird about this arms though.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They are literally making hot dog bikes and replacing adam smasher head with a chicken. Only a moron would see this as something serious. They are having fun.

In fact I would ask how they have time to do all this with all the crunch stories. I thought Jason told me devs looked visibly sick and were almost dying at their desks. Yeah the same Jason that tweeted that this video was the evidence that he was right and then he deleted the tweet because he was so wrong it was embarassing 🤣

I dont know what he posted, but he took 2013 alpha phase joke videos as serious evidence of management incompetence for a game that launched in Nov 2020?

This guy did it for clicks? Or the dumbest guy in gaming?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Fuck this company.

Making bug montages for internal use before release? Way to show they didn't give a shit.

Money first, fix later.

I'm so glad their Q1 profits are down because they're having to fix this mess.
having some fun internally is ... fun.
I guess bugs collection happens in every dev team

Mozzarella

Glad they went for First Person, that example of third person looked very generic and takes out the immersion. The problem was not the first person. The game showed in the leak looked like a game that would suck really hard, lol.

Nikodemos

Then it's just Deus Ex though. I think the open world added a lot.
It certainly added a shitton of bugs and broken (if not outright missing) mechanics.

Thing is, if I'm unsure whether I can properly build a car, I'd rather build a fully functional motorcycle, instead of a shitty barely-running car.

SF Kosmo

It certainly added a shitton of bugs and broken (if not outright missing) mechanics.

Thing is, if I'm unsure whether I can properly build a car, I'd rather build a fully functional motorcycle, instead of a shitty barely-running car.
Don't blame the open world for that. They just shipped it before it was done, it's really that simple. It's a great game but it needed another year of polish probably and a lot of shit got left on the cutting room floor.

The same shit happened to Underworld Ascendant and that was hub based. It's not about that.

Last edited:

harmny

Banned

they went from doing a hub based witcher 2 to making an open world in the witcher 3 and it turned out to be neogaf's game of the generation. with your mentality they would be still selling cd roms and localizing games to polish because you sound too scared to take a risk. no developer is %100 sure they can do something new. they just do it.

Last edited:

junguler

Banned
third person camera should be mandatory for rpg games imo, why even bother adding clothing options and character customization if you only see it in the inventory menu? it just looks dumb and half assed.

I can't think of a single thing they tried to push forward other than expectations.
Right, because every game coming out was looking like cyberpunk.

People were just hyped just "because".

Most devs are releasing indie 2D's, Cods, hitman, ass creed, farcry, and souls games. And then your open world fps's were fallouts and elder scrolls. You never got shit like this, and you never got anything like this within its genre, so stop.

Cyberpunk was certainly a step above those titles in the same vein as the witcher 3, why are we acting like cdpr doesnt have the capability to do this. And why are we suddenly acting as if cyberpunk still wasnt a step above the majority these uninspired titles were getting today.

Footage of cyberpunk created more intrigue than say...returnal, why? Because returnal just looks like some game...like if i showed a non gamer returnal it wouldnt show non gamers how far shit has come in the same way a showcase of cyberpunk can...

Last edited:

Skifi28

Right, because every game coming out was looking like cyberpunk.

People were just hyped just "because".

Most devs are releasing indie 2D's, Cods, hitman, ass creed, farcry, and souls games. And then your open world fps's were fallouts and elder scrolls. You never got shit like this, and you never got anything like this within its genre, so stop.

Cyberpunk was certainly a step above those titles in the same vein as the witcher 3, why are we acting like cdpr doesnt have the capability to do this. And why are we suddenly acting as if cyberpunk still wasnt a step above the majority these uninspired titles were getting today.

Footage of cyberpunk created more intrigue than say...returnal, why? Because returnal just looks like some game...like if i showed a non gamer returnal it wouldnt show non gamers how far shit has come in the same way a showcase of cyberpunk can...
The only thing Cyberpunk has going for it is, well, the Cyberpunk setting and RT. Everything else has been done before and much better. Its RPG elements are fine, but not exactly groundbreaking.There's absolutely nothing special about its open world and how you interact with it, if anything it's basic, at best. The developers built hype by showing very specific and polished footage and then promising that 90% of the game that wasn't shown was just as good and exciting. We all know how that turned out.

I really don't see what kind of metric hype generated is, especially if the end product was a colossal disappointment in every possible way. Are we celebrating scamming people now?

Last edited:

Hugare

Fist person is so much better for a game like this

It adds to the immersion, and interacting with items is so much better. In a game with so many assets it makes a lot of diference.

You can see an example in the video: player is selecting items that he cant see because his character model is in the way.

Npcs animations were awesome, some of the best in the industry. It wouldnt have been as noticeable in 3rd person.

The only thing Cyberpunk has going for it is, well, the Cyberpunk setting and RT. Everything else has been done before and much better. Its RPG elements are fine, but not exactly groundbreaking.There's absolutely nothing special about its open world and how you interact with it, if anything it's basic, at best. The developers built hype by showing very specific and polished footage and then promising that 90% of the game that wasn't shown was just as good and exciting. We all know how that turned out.

I really don't see what kind of metric hype generated is, especially if the end product was a colossal disappointment in every possible way. Are we celebrating scamming people now?
No I dont know how that turned out, because in my perspective the core game was actually very good and up to that quality, it just had bugs. And In every possible way? Which games? Lol

I expected an open world rpg with great and varied quests that kind of shit on others in its genre from a presentation and quest standpoint, like the witcher 3 did.

For example we had skyrim and fallout, and witcher 3 made those look like the devs werent even trying in terms of the shit that matters (quests, gameplay, rpg elements, especially quests)

And thats what cyberpunk ended up doing..

What other first person open world rpg are you comparing it to that did gameplay, presentation, and quests better?

And why are noobs comparing a cdpr game to GTA...because it has guns and cars? thats pretty low creative IQ lol

Last edited:

Skifi28

I expected an open world rpg with great and varied quests that kind of shit on others in its genre from a presentation and quest standpoint, like the witcher 3 did.

For example we had skyrim and fallout, and witcher 3 made those look like the devs werent even trying in terms of the shit that matters (quests, gameplay, rpg elements, especially quests)

And thats what cyberpunk ended up doing..
The Witcher 3 made Cyberpunk look like the devs weren't even trying. It had tons of sidequests that put the main quests of other games to shame. Can you really say the same about Cyberpunk?
What other first person open world rpg are you comparing it to that did gameplay, presentation, and quests better?

And why are noobs comparing a cdpr game to GTA...because it has guns and cars? thats pretty low creative IQ lol
It tries to be an open world game so it will be compared to other open world games, is it so strange? Its open world is an ebarassment compared to GTA V that came out in 2013 and you will find many videos where it doesn't compare favourably to even GTA IV from 2008. Yes, it has more RPG elements than those games, but that doesn't excuse all the faults of a game releasing in 2020.

Last edited:
Top Bottom