• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CYBERPUNK 2077 |OT2| The Last Samurai [>56K Warning_]

Soulforge

Banned
Lol getting rejected by
Panam as female V
cut me deep. Legit got a chill when she pulled her legs away. Last time I've felt this invested in story/characters was Mass Effect 2.
Yup, she's a great character and I feel a lot of work was put into making her behavior natural in this relationship. Unlike other romances in games where everything boils down to 'wanna fuck?' 'yeah, sure'. She's playing hard to get with male V as well, but when she clicks, she's all in. I also love how her close friends from the clan keep an eye on their relationship and give subtle (or not) nods... as if they have a good feeling about this couple being good for Panam. Panam and Judy have a lot of nuance built into their relationship with V and the only thing that doesn't work (for me) is the damn pacing... either give them more side quests together, or at least distribute the ones they have more evenly towards the end, so to avoid the awkward silence and lack of things to do as a couple. This is a game where taking your love interest out at a restaurant or at the disco at the player's discretion would work great if I ever saw one. Not to mention taking them as followers in other quests, like the followers in Fallout.

Exentryk

Blue Moon might just be best girl!

F8oiNVS.jpg

aKSxziv.jpg

5BFaorl.jpg

3GmJtVk.jpg

E7bopnj.jpg

rXDubyz.jpg

Even without console problems, it was incredibly dumb to let this game be reviewed in under three days. ( barely lets you finish main story and a few quests). This game is the new gold standard of World Building. Main story does not have branching paths until last mission, but there is huge amount of small reactivity to how you play the game that you can discover in the world. ( for example if you visit the farm before mission with River, V will actually mention s/he knows the place). Shards, TV&radio news, quests, dialogue&character interactions, npc banter on the streets..there is a really strong sense of how so many things are connected to one another, and Night City has it's own dynamic, living culture.
Only thing I've seen come close is last Deus Ex game, and that was done on a much smaller scale.

Still Planescape Torment.

2AdEPT

Anyone know how far I am in Cyberpunk? I’ve clocked 20 hours.

NO SPOLIERS**

Without spoilers I’m just past the infamous “down the street“ mission which has the game breaking bug and YEP it absolutely happened to me. I eventually got it to work after trying a couple work arounds.

Having a great time in the game though. I have an ABSOLUTE boatload of side missions to get to before I consider finishing the story.
This game is not linear. I have put in close to 200 hours now on first playthrough. I still have early quests yet to do and of course the point of no return which happens toward the end of the main quests which can happen as early as 20 hours in. You are close to point of no return in main but abysmally nowhere near the end of your playthrough, especially if you like sandbox and completing all missions LOL.

Seems Elon likes it

I guess instead of getting a new rig Ill just put the money toward a new model S plaid...my model 3 performance is old news and the best game it has in RPG land is fallout shelter...the new plaid has both witcher 3 and cyberpunk....i guess I could trade in the model 3. Imagine using the car wheel and pedals to drive in cyberpunk...lol..MIght be slightly more fun to drive the fucking car?
Is there a way to own all the vehicles without doing an exploit or money glitch?
Of course, but can you keep doing respawning thug quests forever and ever and ever? I started to do it but it takes so long to earn money legit...maybe Ill switch to crafting and selling and see if that works better. I cant seem to motivate myself to save for cars when new fashion outfits take all my coin.

Last edited:

Dries

I guess instead of getting a new rig Ill just put the money toward a new model S plaid...my model 3 performance is old news and the best game it has in RPG land is fallout shelter...the new plaid has both witcher 3 and cyberpunk....i guess I could trade in the model 3. Imagine using the car wheel and pedals to drive in cyberpunk...lol..MIght be slightly more fun to drive the fucking car?

To make it more funny, I can't think of more worse titles then CP or TW3 to play during a car ride. Okay, maybe a Souls game but still. Do Mario or Fall Guys instead.

Loostreaks

This game is not linear. I have put in close to 200 hours now on first playthrough.
Anyone knows actual examples of rpgs, of this type/size, with fully non linear main stories and changing plot points?
Most well known rpgs have a mix of linear and non linear main narrative plot points.. with Cyberpunk it's very similar to that of Bioware/Obsidian games: prologue, main story quest/s, story splits into ( typically) three arcs ( that you can do in whatever order you want), then it jumps to final missions ( where you get to see consequences of what you did play out).
This is interesting because people were praising Witcher for this, despite Cyberpunk doing a better job. As I remember, you had a different outcome to what happens to Keira, Baron, Skellige king questline, and different epilogues depending on some decisions ( Ciri's fate, ending for Geralt/romance, war, etc).
Alpha Protocol did a better job by adding a lot of "small connectivity" in between Rome/Hong Kong/Moscow and how characters/factions respond to your actions/relations to them, but Cyberpunk's finale has far more deeper/varied end mission.
Only game that did try something more ambitious with how it structured the plot in the open world, was Fallout New Vegas. But even then, you had to follow a linear path, for a large portion of it.
And it had it's own drawbacks with underdeveloped Legion Path next to NCR ( and House/Yes Man were more of a variation of the same), and you could easily end up with really weird pacing/build up for the final mission ( "Yes, yes, I did that...oh, I did that as well...that too...yep, that also...Ok, well, here we are at end game).

Last edited:

Loostreaks

I love Cyberpunk but I've got two legit gripes that i feel can be said without impugning the game or the developers:

- V's voice actor is hammy crap no matter the voice.
- Keanu Reeves was dealt a dud script that he was not really equipped to bring to life.

First. I hate listening to the protagonists. I tried to roll guy like 4 times and i just had such a hard time relating to his hardass weasel-y voice that in the end i rolled female and must spend the rest of my first playthrough forcing myself to complete relationship paths with dudes just to get some feeling for the developer's intent. I hope they release some dlc with like 5 new voices, including "Average Joe/Joan Who Has Some Education".

Second, ouch. Why the hell did this script writer decide that leaving out the first word/few words of every freaking dialogue Johnny OR V says would make them sound,i dunno, hard bitten and savvy? I think Keanu did a pretty good job, considering his astonishing lack of instincts for jazzing up his delivery, but man if i have to hear him deliver lines with forced nonchalance because the script tells him to a few more times, I'm gonna play on mute..

A normal person: "i guess you could say that's true"
*This script: "... Could say it's true"

Or..
Normal: "you expect me to go into an ambush? You're out of your mind"
*Script: "expect me to go into an ambush? Out of your mind."

* Neither of these are direct quotes, neither is the following...

Exaggerated:
Normal: my name is v and I'm a badass, i have a chip in my head and that's the driver of this plot, now I'm about to go deus ex around because my user is controlling me that way"
Script: name's v. ... Tech in my head ... gonna off me. Gotta hack... ... ... cuz that's the way of the streets.

It's hard to really get this across but perhaps you dig me. Script is really rough at the start of basically every sentence by Johnny or V.

Love the game ^_^v
I had some concerns about writing/dialogue delivery ( 2018: "I've got news as big as my balls."), but I think they absolutelly nailed it. People in the game simply sound right depending on what culture/part of society they're from ( V/Johnny use a lot of street slang, emphasis on attitude, directness).
There is also a lot of subtle variation in how npcs talk depending on each district and who/what faction they're from.

Hugare

I love Cyberpunk but I've got two legit gripes that i feel can be said without impugning the game or the developers:

- V's voice actor is hammy crap no matter the voice.
- Keanu Reeves was dealt a dud script that he was not really equipped to bring to life.

First. I hate listening to the protagonists. I tried to roll guy like 4 times and i just had such a hard time relating to his hardass weasel-y voice that in the end i rolled female and must spend the rest of my first playthrough forcing myself to complete relationship paths with dudes just to get some feeling for the developer's intent. I hope they release some dlc with like 5 new voices, including "Average Joe/Joan Who Has Some Education".

Second, ouch. Why the hell did this script writer decide that leaving out the first word/few words of every freaking dialogue Johnny OR V says would make them sound,i dunno, hard bitten and savvy? I think Keanu did a pretty good job, considering his astonishing lack of instincts for jazzing up his delivery, but man if i have to hear him deliver lines with forced nonchalance because the script tells him to a few more times, I'm gonna play on mute..

A normal person: "i guess you could say that's true"
*This script: "... Could say it's true"

Or..
Normal: "you expect me to go into an ambush? You're out of your mind"
*Script: "expect me to go into an ambush? Out of your mind."

* Neither of these are direct quotes, neither is the following...

Exaggerated:
Normal: my name is v and I'm a badass, i have a chip in my head and that's the driver of this plot, now I'm about to go deus ex around because my user is controlling me that way"
Script: name's v. ... Tech in my head ... gonna off me. Gotta hack... ... ... cuz that's the way of the streets.

It's hard to really get this across but perhaps you dig me. Script is really rough at the start of basically every sentence by Johnny or V.

Love the game ^_^v
There's a Gamespot video specificaly about this (sorry for not putting it here, too lazy)

The same happened with The Witcher 3. Geralt talked just like V. Maybe due to the translation (probably in Polish they dont use the first word in informal dialogue) or maybe to make the protagonists more badass.

I love it. Because in Portuguese we usually leave the first word in a sentence in informal dialogue. So to me, The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk dialogue always felt natural.

Loostreaks

This is a game where taking your love interest out at a restaurant or at the disco at the player's discretion would work great if I ever saw one. Not to mention taking them as followers in other quests, like the followers in Fallout.
I'd like to see something like occassional world event where you run into them, and just strike conversation. Some additional phone dialogue based on main story/missions. Or maybe a handcrafted "date" short quest, simply for fun.
But I wouldn't want some kind of "dating mechanics" where you repeat generic events, and they say the same lines. Or have them follow V like robots during missions.
That kind of takes away sense of them being their own "living" characters. ( You could argue that this also happens when you try interacting with them after you finish their quests..but in that case, I think it works better to just continue playing the game)

2AdEPT

To make it more funny, I can't think of more worse titles then CP or TW3 to play during a car ride. Okay, maybe a Souls game but still. Do Mario or Fall Guys instead.
I dont even think the back seat can play while the car is moving its more for while you wait at a charger....for sure the front screen wont work while in motion.

Exentryk

Man, there are so many different endings?! It's around 10 hours of content just to see all the endings! Amazing stuff!

Below is a playlist of all the endings if anyone is curious.

Also, the "Don't Fear The Reaper" (secret ending) was awesome fun, since it let me run my OP build through its paces.

G-Bus

Banned
Done with the game after 40 hours. Did a bunch of side stuff. Did all of johnnies side stuff and got my rep to 60% with him. Think I read 70% opens different endings? I don't know.

Played the last mission twice. Ehhhh. Average game is average. Be interesting to see how much it changes in the next year

Will revisit the game on ps5 when an ultimate edition hits with all DLC.

regawdless

Banned
I'm baffled that picking up stuff still sucks that hard. If there are like 3 things on the table, it only shows one that I can take. Can't take the other stuff unless I pick that one item that I don't need up. Is it so hard for the game to just show the 3 things and for the player to chose what he wants?

Urgh.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm baffled that picking up stuff still sucks that hard. If there are like 3 things on the table, it only shows one that I can take. Can't take the other stuff unless I pick that one item that I don't need up. Is it so hard for the game to just show the 3 things and for the player to chose what he wants?

Urgh.
Some of the UI stuff feels so bad and undercooked I sometimes find it hard to believe it's been in development for so long.

dorkimoe

Picked it up when BB had it for $29 and I had $25 in rewards. I’m really enjoying it. The game never interested me too much because I hated the Witcher. But I am blown away. Keep in mind I don’t play for the story. I just like to run and gun and loot and upgrade my stuff. I skip cutscenes. This is way better than last GTA. only ran until a few bugs where I had to close and re load but nothing horrible at all. Runs great on series x.

My only annoyance so far is the whistle noise in the menu. So annoying.

Picked it up when BB had it for $29 and I had $25 in rewards. I’m really enjoying it. The game never interested me too much because I hated the Witcher. But I am blown away. Keep in mind I don’t play for the story. I just like to run and gun and loot and upgrade my stuff. I skip cutscenes. This is way better than last GTA. only ran until a few bugs where I had to close and re load but nothing horrible at all. Runs great on series x.

My only annoyance so far is the whistle noise in the menu. So annoying.
I picked it up recently also because it was only $35 but I am going to wait for the next gen update before I play it....

HotPocket69

Banned
Yeah, that was a gnarly storyline for sure (up there with Judy's). Great use of the BDs though. I felt quite sick at the end.

Yeah the whole thing is just on a different level of fucked up. When you go through those those messages on the computer...fuck man. Really twisted stuff.

Sucks it seems this game is dead and buried already with the masses. I really hope we get expansions likened to Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine.

Kadayi

Banned
Yeah the whole thing is just on a different level of fucked up. When you go through those those messages on the computer...fuck man. Really twisted stuff.

Sucks it seems this game is dead and buried already with the masses. I really hope we get expansions likened to Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine.

There's a lot of noise. A combination of coming out the gate in less than ideal condition coupled with everyone being in lockdown with fuck all to do but bitch about it. But in terms of sales the game did very well and for the most part, was well received on PC despite the bugs. CDP has got a hell of a lot of work ahead of them for sure in terms of rectifying matters and winning hearts and minds back and it's pretty much a given that there's always going to be a hate train of morbid-ex-boyfriends ready to shit up any and every tweet/youtube or news article comment section they appear in from here on in until the end of time (Sean Murray sends his condolences), but it is what it is. With regard to the game itself, I think bugs aside (which includes the AI) some criticisms are fair in terms aspects of the world, but I don't honestly foresee that stuff as insurmountable and I fully expect that we'll see not only more customisation options, but also significant QoL improvements enacted over the 6 months. In terms of DLC, we have free stuff on the horizon, some of which I expect to be story related, but I fully expect to see a couple of substantive Story DLCs produced for 2022 and maybe beyond. I think CP2077 is too big a title for CDP to just sit on it.

Kadayi

Banned
This is horribly boring, uninformative drivel. Thanks.

Christ it’s the worst when people link other peoples shitty autistic thoughts on games.

Love you man Kadayi Kadayi but I can’t stand that shit

I kind of like the fact that he picks up on the in-world persistence. That aspect used to bug the shit out of me in GTA tbh. The fact that the game remembers even if you travel huge distances away is kind of incredible.

HotPocket69

Banned
I kind of like the fact that he picks up on the in-world persistence. That aspect used to bug the shit out of me in GTA tbh. The fact that the game remembers even if you travel huge distances away is kind of incredible.

I need to reinstall GTAV to really compare firsthand but I’m holding back for whenever R* drops that new gen update. And for how much 😂

sertopico

It is indeed remarkable, but I am not sure whether it is a good thing or not. That could be the reason why the game has memory leaks and bad performance from time to time, it doesn't "flush" the unnecessary assets from the memory. I mean, a broken pole/fence which stays like that for long is not that important. It would be more interesting if the game remembers if you cleaned out an enemy base, robbed a store (if there was the possibility) and so on, things that are persistent and have some kind of influence on the world you play in.

Urgh.
I understand that, really turned me off Witcher III and I'm finding myself reacting badly to all the searching/wasting time pickup and menus associated with just junk aspects of the game. It all does so little to actual gameplay and even if it did it's tedious and not fun. Again I think it's just another sign of how poor CDPR are with console/controller development, the games are firmly developed for PC and mouse through and through. The console/controller optimisations are a secondary thought and lack a lot of top down design to bring the experience together when not on PC. Similar to the aiming of Witcher III and Cyberbpunk, which I find a total fucking joke and annoying TBH. Give me clean and simple controls that are accurate and fast, Cyberpunk on Series X with an Elite II controller ain't a good implementation of player control or experience.

Exentryk

Finished the game. Below are my thoughts:

Pros:
  • Writing
  • Characters
  • Night City (the world)
  • Graphics
  • Music
  • Voice Acting
  • Combat variety
  • Side Jobs
  • Streaming System
  • Smart Weapons - Love this inclusion as I struggle with aiming and generally don't play shooters due to it.
Cons:
  • QoL
    • No quick way to toggle HUD on/off.
    • No free camera for photo mode (both of these are sorted by mods, but CDPR should put that stuff in-game).
  • UI
    • Tooltip blocks view of adjacent/following items. Tooltip position needs review. (See example)
    • Small font size on some pages, even though most of the page is unused.
    • Can't craft/disassemble multiple items at once.
    • Minimap needs to zoom out while driving.
    • The driving views while inside the car or on the bike need to be adjusted so you see more of the world outside and less of the car/bike in front.
    • No way to untrack a quest.
    • Side Gigs, Side Jobs, Cars, Bikes - All these quests are under the same icon on the world map. At the very least, the cars and bikes should be separated.
  • Some main Perks and skills not working. This meant I couldn't enjoy the character builds to its fullest.
  • Our main character model (esp face) looks poor, compared to other NPCs.
  • Bugs

It has been an amazing game and I've put in close to 200 hours in a single playthrough seeing all the side jobs and endings. I played on PC, so didn't have too many issues. In fact, the game ran really well, and only crashed twice. Just thinking about all the cool characters and the amount of work put into each of them, from their models, voice acting, animations and story arcs - it's a tremendous achievement. I also have to praise the world that is Night City, and how well the game runs despite how dense the city is. Building quests in such a vertical and dense city, while also allowing for multiple ways to tackle quests, and also allowing for multiple combat builds to be able to handle these quests is all just adding complexity upon complexity. And yet, they've mostly managed to make it work (barring some bugs of course). So definitely have to praise the devs for that. The combat also deserves some praise as you can use various builds and styles to approach situations. For example, you can stealth your way through a job, or go guns blazing, or go a combination with some quick hacks in the mix. The various guns, melee weapons, cyberware and quick-hacks keep those RPG itches scratched.

The quests and the production values (animations/models/etc) on each NPC seems to be higher than what it was on Witcher 3. But even with that, I feel not being able to see V's face during interactions makes it less immersive and enjoyable to me. I loved seeing Geralt's face and his reactions to whatever was happening, and I miss that aspect here. So in this respect, first person is less immersive to me. Another aspect worth mentioning is that I much prefer open and spread out areas rather than dense and vertical areas like Night City. It's much easier to turn off the entire HUD and go to a single random hut in the distance than it is to figure out what events are available in a vertical apartment without any HUD. What I'm trying to say here is that I felt more immersed in Witcher 3, all things considered.

Overall though, I had a fantastic 1.5 months with the game and I can't wait for the expansions. While it may not have reached the heights of Witcher 3 for me, I'm still extremely pleased with it and looking forward to more Cyberpunk in the future.

2r7djL4.png

scalman

Is it still alive ? I mean game. I didint picked it for couple weeks now, and all hype just gone too, you start to think that is not that great game as you thought maybe as i couldnt finish its second run even. Maybe when more mods will come out , mods that will change game like in more ways it could be nice to get back to it.
I mean i still going back to fallout 4 from time to time and its old game allready, still enjoying it.
Maybe its not much to do in this world appart from main and side missions.

dottme

I’ve just got the credit rolling and I did like the story. But I would like more, I feel there was some space for part 2.
i want to replay it and make different choices, but I’ll wait for the patches.

sinnergy

Is it still alive ? I mean game. I didint picked it for couple weeks now, and all hype just gone too, you start to think that is not that great game as you thought maybe as i couldnt finish its second run even. Maybe when more mods will come out , mods that will change game like in more ways it could be nice to get back to it.
I mean i still going back to fallout 4 from time to time and its old game allready, still enjoying it.
Maybe its not much to do in this world appart from main and side missions.
You finished it and than ask your self if it’s good ? I don’t finish games that I think aren’t good .. none . I just play games I think are worth my time .

So I think Cyberpunk is fine .. seeing as you finished it.

regawdless

Banned
It's pretty cool how different small decisions in some quests come back at you later. Just had a cool interaction and outcome in a small side quest which was directly related to the Maelstrom quest in the beginning. Gave me a fitting dialogue option to resolve the situation. And in another unrelated side quest, it came up as well.

It really is a step up from Witcher 3 in that regard.

Loostreaks

It's pretty cool how different small decisions in some quests come back at you later. Just had a cool interaction and outcome in a small side quest which was directly related to the Maelstrom quest in the beginning. Gave me a fitting dialogue option to resolve the situation. And in another unrelated side quest, it came up as well.

It really is a step up from Witcher 3 in that regard.
You mean when meeting Bes Isis?

Woggleman

I can no longer sell the painting from Space Oddity for five dollars. Is there a limit to how much you can do it or is my game bugged?

Tschumi

One of the things I've enjoyed most about Cyberpunk has been the total lack of invisible walls blocking you from tackling the geometry, as far as i have been able to tell.. a few structural walls that are impossible to climb over, sure... But if you care enough you can scale all over night city's apartment blocks if you just string together enough platforms to get on a fire escape then a drain pipe then a balcony then an air conditioning unit.. I've climbed heaps of buildings for no reason, no payoff other than the joy of ticking off another building. It actually played a big role in my developing a sense of ownership for the starting area at the outset of my playthrough...

Just another moment of appreciation for teh game.

Started act 3. Yeah the main quest is shorter than any RPG I can remember but the character arc side quests are sublime. Finished Panam, Judy and River and all are top tier. And did that Sinnerman quest after the director appeared on the late night talk show. The world building is unbelievable.
I'm guessing Rogue and Johnny bandmates are the next arc Im doing.

Woggleman

The game is a bit short but on the hand the constant complaint on boards over the past two years is about games being too long so I can't blame CDPR for this one. Short games are what the people claimed to want.

Tschumi

The game is a bit short but on the hand the constant complaint on boards over the past two years is about games being too long so I can't blame CDPR for this one. Short games are what the people claimed to want.
They said as much a few months ago, said people complained about Witcher 3 dragging on.. but with all the extra content the game's still pretty damn long

Last edited:
Top Bottom