• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daedalic Entertainment is shutting down internal game development and shifting to publishing. Development of Gollum sequel cancelled

Draugoth

Gold Member
Daedalic Entertainment is shutting down internal game development and shifting to publishing. Development for their next Lord of the Rings game ( a Gollum sequel in dev since mid-2022) is halted.

Fz4kM2AaIAAJpo4

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
Still sad to see people lose their jobs and i feel for those affected but hopefully they take this experience into their future work and learn the importance of putting effort into your works & releasing quality products.

Stuart360

This actually sucks as Daedalic go way back on PC, and made some good games, good graphic adventures and point and clicks etc.

It also shows just how much studios are living on a knife edge these days where one bad game can kill a whole 17 year old studio.

It sucks really as another long time studio is gone, although Gollum really is one of the worst games in recent years, so it is what it is.

Mr.Phoenix

Oh NO! Gollum was myGOTY.. was looking forward to the sequel... imaginary pre-order canceled.

Gollum GIF
Angry The Lord Of The Rings GIF

I won't say "deserved" because loss of job is always sad, but stopping making games is really the best they can do right now.
Never got his sentiment...

Some jobs deserve to be lost... paying anyone actual money to do actual work is not a charity. If I pay someone to clean my place and they do a piss poor job of it, should I keep paying them because I don't want them to be jobless?

This game was so bad... that if I were ever hiring devs to work on a game and I see this game on their CV... it would disqualify them.

Cyberpunkd

Daedalic Entertainment is shutting down internal game development and shifting to publishing. Development for their next Lord of the Rings game ( a Gollum sequel in dev since mid-2022) is halted.

Fz4kM2AaIAAJpo4

Imagine doing OK playing to your strengths and releasing a quality adventure games, then deciding to bet your studio’s future on something you have no expertise in and failing.

Cyberpunkd

It also shows just how much studios are living on a knife edge these days where one bad game can kill a whole 17 year old studio.
It is most likely a game that had a budget multiple times that of their regular offerings and instantly erased all the slim profits they had. See my post above.

Stuart360

It is most likely a game that had a budget multiple times that of their regular offerings and instantly erased all the slim profits they had. See my post above.
Oh i have no doubt they probably went all in on this, but we have seen this before with one bad game shutting down smaller studios, sometimes even when that game has sold 'ok'.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Some jobs deserve to be lost... paying anyone actual money to do actual work is not a charity. If I pay someone to clean my place and they do a piss poor job of it, should I keep paying them because I don't want them to be jobless?

This game was so bad... that if I were ever hiring devs to work on a game and I see this game on their CV... it would disqualify them.

Brain-dead take. Bad games tend to be the product of management failure, and guess who gets to keep their jobs in situations like this?

Mr.Phoenix

Brain-dead take. Bad games tend to be the product of management failure, and guess who gets to keep their jobs in situations like this?
Nonsense...

Its easy to always blame upper management.

Its unfortunate that said upper-management gets to keep their jobs.. as far as I am concerned... when I see a game that is this bad across the entire board. It was not even like it was good in a single area. Not music, not performance, not animation, not graphics... NOTHING.

Nope... I am axing that entire team.

Even the janitor gets the ax too. Just by association.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

This îs so sad...I loved their Deponia games,they were great at point and click games,they needed to stick to what they did best but i can see how they must've thought a LOTR game would elevate their status...too bad they picked Gollum as a main character for their game and delivered it in such poor state...

SJRB

Gold Member
The videogame industry is a cruel one, but honestly their latest game was overwhelmingly, outrageously bad and should never have made it past its concept phase.

There is no way they didn't realize this themselves. Maybe one day we find out what happened with this game.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Why was a sequel being developed in the first place? 1 gollum game is too much for this timeline to handle

It wasn't a Gollum sequel, it was a second game set in the LotR universe featuring a different character.

Fools idol

Banned
There is no money to be made in point and click adventure games anymore, the niche is far too small.

Unfortunate for them that their last effort went into a dud.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Crazy they had the strategic view to not only release a crappy game based on Gollum, but also a sequel in the works too.

I guess some people at Daedalic sure like Gollum.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Oh NO! Gollum was myGOTY.. was looking forward to the sequel... imaginary pre-order canceled.

They made plenty of good games before, one bad game is enough to close down everything?

In the end, this was more of a mismanagement problem, but as always, those who don't call the shots are the first to be cut.

Feel sad for the devs.
They made some really amazing games but now they will just be remembered as the studio that made Gollum.

Wildebeest

Transition from 2d to 3d still taking down game studios. I didn't think their adventure games were that well-designed, but point and click adventure game fans can be very forgiving if their nostalgia buttons are pushed correctly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom