• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls - New Trailer - 2011 Worldwide [Update 2: Video Interview In OP]

Zeliard

BobTheFork said:
I'll be honest, I think they made Demon's Souls that hard because they were trying to force people to work together. I think the difficulty when you have 3 people is what they wanted most people to experience.

I don't see that. Demon's Souls is meant as a single-player game with some additional, creative multiplayer elements. It's exactly what others have been saying - the blue eye stones in Demon's Souls are specifically in the game if you need help, not if you want to co-op with a buddy. That isn't their intention.

From is apparently taking steps to insert legitimate co-op play in the sequel (I think duckroll translated it as "mutual roleplaying"), so it remains to be seen how that works in Dark Souls.

BobTheFork said:
I'll be honest, I think they made Demon's Souls that hard because they were trying to force people to work together. I think the difficulty when you have 3 people is what they wanted most people to experience. It wasn't easy even then; the area are can be very confined and the bosses still deadly for a group.
That's very unlikely. They would have opened the co-op features more if that was the case.

Demon's souls, although it helped, didn't force you to work together but to use your brains. With the proper tactics, even the hardest boss could be beaten easily in singleplayer.

Canova

Banned
FootNinja said:
Does that mean we will get one of your legendary threads upon release?

bruceleeroy's threads are great, but the honor has to go to indigo_cyclops who
made the demons souls ot thread, when it was still a no-name game. Now Demons Souls OT thread is legendary, 2 years running and still active.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
oracrest said:
Is anybody avoiding playing Demon's Souls in anticipation of just playing this instead when it comes out?
I'm actually about to replay the game, because i cant wait. End of the year is too far away.

Zeliard

oracrest said:
Is anybody avoiding playing Demon's Souls in anticipation of just playing this instead when it comes out?

The opposite. I hadn't played it in a while and started a new game yesterday.

Leckan

"There’s no safe place in Dark Souls," Miyazaki laughed. "My goal is to kill all players who think there is a safe zone in Dark Souls."

Holy shit! This game ain't playing around.

Canova

Banned
oracrest said:

yeah i wanna take a break this year, so when it comes out the mechanic feels fresh

Zeliard

Leckan said:
"There’s no safe place in Dark Souls," Miyazaki laughed. "My goal is to kill all players who think there is a safe zone in Dark Souls."

You're at a blacksmith to upgrade your gear. Suddenly, your character's head rolls across the floor, independent of the body.

Canova

Banned
Leckan said:

Hahahaha, that's just evil, I like that attitude

M°°nblade said:
That's very unlikely. They would have opened the co-op features more if that was the case.

Demon's souls, although it helped, didn't force you to work together but to use your brains. With the proper tactics, even the hardest boss could be beaten easily in singleplayer.
Why would they have made it easier? I don't think the co-op system was created later or was secondary to the single player experience. The difficulty of coordination was part of what made working in a group harder than just ganging up on everything. The online elements (blood stains, help signs, pvp, co-op) are what make the experience of Demon's Souls, and the brutal nature of the game was there to drive you to use them. You would put down a sign so you could get extra health or get someone to help you because it could be brutal (especially you first time). I'm convinced.

LTTP here.

Great trailer. Looks just like Demon's Souls(visual style) but there seems to be more detail now. Love the out door forest-like area. Looks just like a concept art from the first game that didn't make it to the final release:
1255511549_470x353_demon-s-souls-game-art.jpg

Great to hear that enemies can pursue you now and the the weapons look to be very diverse. Still can't believe the first game ended up doing well and we are getting another one.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
oracrest said:

The trailer did the opposite for me. I'm putting the finishing touches on a high strength/endurance character that I'd abandoned last year and loving every minute of it.
2eb7nud.jpg

Now I just need to level up and I'll be ready for NG+.

YoungHav

Banned
I really want the Lady in Black's voice actress to be involved whether the character returns or not. I thought she was speaking hardcore Engrish but come to find out she's from Iceland or something. Sssssooul of the miiiiiind keytolife'sether hahahaha.

What is that blue soul's name who stopped fighting and he's just chilling in the Nexus. Good ministory, liked his voice work and sarcasm.

"You've got a heart of gold, don't let them take it from you". Aaaaaah!

Zeliard said:
The opposite. I hadn't played it in a while and started a new game yesterday.

Yeah, I'm gonna play some more Demon's Souls right after I'm done with Bionic Commando 2. I need something to satiate my hype for the time being.

Zoe

MvmntInGrn said:
LTTP here.

Great trailer. Looks just like Demon's Souls(visual style) but there seems to be more detail now. Love the out door forest-like area. Looks just like a concept art from the first game that didn't make it to the final release:

That's not the prologue?

Zoe said:
That's not the prologue?
I don't think so. The outdoor part of the prolouge was brighter and didn't have the same coloring. Looks much more like the area in the Dark Souls trailer to me.

I always figured it was the the "area outside the Nexus" that was mentioned in an interview once (GameInformer i think).

Zeal

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
OMG! Screw UC3, Screw Skyrim, This is the GOTY!
ahh yes, another convert. here is your foreboding cloak and hood. grab a torch and join the mob.

so the soul can be mended..........so the soul can be mended.

Volcynika

Danielsan said:
You know what's great. Nine pages in this thread and I don't think I've read a single negative comment on this game.

Game looks completely terrible.

Since it's not in my hands now.

duckroll

MvmntInGrn said:
I don't think so. The outdoor part of the prolouge was brighter and didn't have the same coloring. Looks much more like the area in the Dark Souls trailer to me.

I always figured it was the the "area outside the Nexus" that was mentioned in an interview once (GameInformer i think).

It's part of the intro movie at the start of the prologue. The movie used tons of illustrations and artwork done specifically to set the stage for the story.

duckroll said:
It's part of the intro movie at the start of the prologue. The movie used tons of illustrations and artwork done specifically to set the stage for the story.
Huh it is. How did I not notice that before.

Anyway still looks just like that artwork to me :)

FootNinja said:
Does that mean we will get one of your legendary threads upon release?
I tried to do the DS one but someone had laid claim to it. I absolutely want to do Dark Souls if someone will let me.

oracrest said:

I just ordered a UK copy so I can play through again but on EU servers this time.
Although that has been something I've been meaning to do for a while (since it got a UK release actually)

canova said:
bruceleeroy's threads are great, but the honor has to go to indigo_cyclops who
made the demons souls ot thread, when it was still a no-name game. Now Demons Souls OT thread is legendary, 2 years running and still active.
I appreciate that. Yes I would love to do the thread again if that is ok with some of the OT masters :lol so thank you for the kind words canova. I'm quite excited.

On the other hand I can't stop watching that god damn trailer. There's lots of juicy information coming in from these interviews and previews.

Zzoram

duckroll said:
I can't wait to get on a ledge, read a message which says "It is not safe here" right before I get killed! :D
The funnier ones are the trap warnings positioned so that you trigger the trap to read them.

Canova

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I appreciate that. Yes I would love to do the thread again if that is ok with some of the OT masters :lol so thank you for the kind words canova. I'm quite excited.

On the other hand I can't stop watching that god damn trailer. There's lots of juicy information coming in from these interviews and previews.

no prob mate.

Just want to pay respect to people who stick with the game from the beginning and make it what it is today. I even saw your name listed in the credits section in the EU Strategy Guide

canova said:
no prob mate.

Just want to pay respect to people who stick with the game from the beginning and make it what it is today. I even saw your name listed in the credits section in the EU Strategy Guide

Oh wow, I knew someting was happening with that but never got to see the result. I didn't think they'd get everyone's name in. Would it be possible to get a scan of that? I'm curious to see it! It's been a great community really...

Canova

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Oh wow, I knew someting was happening with that but never got to see the result. I didn't think they'd get everyone's name in. Would it be possible to get a scan of that? I'm curious to see it! It's been a great community really...

I'll scan it when I get home from work

Yeah the community is wonderful, there's camaraderie, sportsmanship, etc. If there's one underdog game made success solely because its community, Demon's Souls would be it

ezekial45

Banned
My one big hope for the game is that i hope they seriously increase the number of types of armor and costumes. That was my one big complaint about Demon's Souls. Just seeing how often i came across other players with the same armor and weapons i had.

Raide

ezekial45 said:
My one big hope for the game is that i hope they seriously increase the number of types of armor and costumes. That was my one big complaint about Demon's Souls. Just seeing how often i came across other players with the same armor and weapons i had.

A nice crafting system would also be awesome.

Everyone's had the experience where a black phantom invades while you're in the menu and kills you right?

I'm really curious, if it's a 100% open world is there anywhere you can go where you can't be invaded and killed? If not (shivers) this is going to be one brutal online experience.

Raide

Tylahedras said:
Everyone's had the experience where a black phantom invades while you're in the menu and kills you right?

I'm really curious, if it's a 100% open world is there anywhere you can go where you can't be invaded and killed? If not (shivers) this is going to be one brutal online experience.

They may add player sanctuaries, so people can feel safe. Or they might have a lobby system where you can craft gear, get supplies etc without getting murdered. It would be fun to invade a zone where 4 people are together questing. :D

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Awesome! I hope I can chat with my party on PSN now :(

I hate the long loading times of the message screen just to tell someone where you're dropping SS. :(

Top Bottom