• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls - New Trailer - 2011 Worldwide [Update 2: Video Interview In OP]

Canova

Banned
Tylahedras said:
Everyone's had the experience where a black phantom invades while you're in the menu and kills you right?

I'm really curious, if it's a 100% open world is there anywhere you can go where you can't be invaded and killed? If not (shivers) this is going to be one brutal online experience.

I was in the body form once, then left the game for the bathroom break, came back just to find out I had spawned in the Nexus in the soul form.

so yeah it's pretty routine back in the days.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
canova said:
I was in the body form once, then left the game for the bathroom break, came back just to find out I had spawned in the Nexus in the soul form.

At least it can't fuck up world tendency anymore... bring on the invaders.

Raide

canova said:

They need to adopt the UO PvP system. In town = Safe. Outside = Fresh Meat. They should also add a bounty system where Black Phantoms get flagged for killing people and you get a bounty for killing them in their own world. Chopping them up and keeping heads would be a bonus too.

Raide said:
They may add player sanctuaries, so people can feel safe. Or they might have a lobby system where you can craft gear, get supplies etc without getting murdered. It would be fun to invade a zone where 4 people are together questing. :D

I actually look at DS as a survival horror game in a lot of ways, so while the notion of never being safe is a bit off putting given the rediculous min maxed black phantoms that roam the wilds in the current version. I'd still be fine with it.

Despera

Banned
I want the game to have friend invites and voice chat, but I'm not sure if that's gonna ruin the unique feel of Demon's Souls online component, especially voice chat.

Raide

Despera said:
I want the game to have friend invites and voice chat, but I'm not sure if that's gonna ruin the unique feel of Demon's Souls online component, especially voice chat.

In what way? You mean the text messages? They could just add the option to leave ghostly souls around which contain voice messages like "Watch out" or "You suck"

Despera said:

friend invites yes, voice chat I could do without. More body motions to do in elevators would be nice though :)

Canova

Banned
recklessmind said:
At least it can't fuck up world tendency anymore... bring on the invaders.

I'm pretty sure From will think of other consequences for dying in body form

Raide said:
They need to adopt the UO PvP system. In town = Safe. Outside = Fresh Meat. They should also add a bounty system where Black Phantoms get flagged for killing people and you get a bounty for killing them in their own world. Chopping them up and keeping heads would be a bonus too.

In Demon's Souls, you're safe in the Nexus. As soon as you step outside in a body form in the area you haven't beaten, then you're fair game

ArjanN said:
"If you're reading this, you're already dead."

it's from The Mechanic, right? I just saw that movie

Erasus

DS came out this summer in EU, but I still havent put enough time into it... I did 1-1 and thats it ;_;

I should just carry the PS3 up to my monitor, whee I spend my time...

Raide

canova said:
I'm pretty sure From will think of other consequences for dying in body form

In Demon's Souls, you're safe in the Nexus. As soon as you step outside in a body form in the area you haven't beaten, then you're fair game

it's from The Mechanic, right? I just saw that movie

Thanks. I have only played about an hour or so on a friends PS3 but I know I will love Dark Souls. Killing stuff and Loot = Day 1.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I appreciate that. Yes I would love to do the thread again if that is ok with some of the OT masters :lol so thank you for the kind words canova. I'm quite excited.

On the other hand I can't stop watching that god damn trailer. There's lots of juicy information coming in from these interviews and previews.
If you need any help or graphics just pm me.

Canova

Banned
I wonder if the trailer would ever come to PSN/Live,

Also would be cool if From Soft releases the official version of the TGS trailer

Raide

Eccocid said:
so xbox version will have a voice chat automatically right? U can party chat with your friends while playing?

Unless they try to lock it out for any reason, it is in all games.

bhytre

Anyone catch this from the trailer? The rolling breaking wheels with corpses on them.
2m5j5sn.png

11ru8fc.png

24g3dky.png

Cuts from Berserk volume 17 and 18

They sure love Berserk at From Software :)

bhytre said:
Anyone catch this from the trailer? The rolling breaking wheels with corpses on them.

Cuts from Berserk volume 17 and 18

They sure love Berserk at From Software :)
Great catch. That is pretty fucking wild and crazy. Their design aesthetics never cease to amaze. Enemies made of a corpse tangled on a wheel. Sounds horrifying!

Jinaar

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Great catch. That is pretty fucking wild and crazy. Their design aesthetics never cease to amaze. Enemies made of a corpse tangled on a wheel. Sounds horrifying!

From the very first Dark Souls trailer there was a armored knight that looked like one right from Berserk. I will get it and post when I have time. EDIT: At work and poor attempt, but the idea is there, gotta run, home time.

BERSERK
gCSlF.jpg

PROJECT DARK TRAILER
pxm03.jpg

soldat7

canova said:
bruceleeroy's threads are great, but the honor has to go to indigo_cyclops who
made the demons souls ot thread

May I suggest an epic collaboration? 'Twould be fitting for a game such as this.

Jinaar said:
From the very first Dark Souls trailer there was a armored knight that looked like one right from Berserk. I will get it and post when I have time. EDIT: At work and poor attempt, but the idea is there, gotta run, home time.

BERSERK

PROJECT DARK TRAILER
Ha ha that is so strange but awesome nonetheless. That is one weird piece of armor. Could this very well be the game ALL Berserk fans have been waiting for.

While I certainly appreciate what Facebook can do for the fanbase I'm way more interested in the grassroots stuff. Wikis, forums etc. At least as far as the Internet is concerned.

I feel like I'm in another world. Are we seriously getting another great fucking game from FROM based around the same concepts?

<3 dark fantasy via FROM

Canova

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Ha ha that is so strange but awesome nonetheless. That is one weird piece of armor. Could this very well be the game ALL Berserk fans have been waiting for.

While I certainly appreciate what Facebook can do for the fanbase I'm way more interested in the grassroots stuff. Wikis, forums etc. At least as far as the Internet is concerned.

I feel like I'm in another world. Are we seriously getting another great fucking game from FROM based around the same concepts.

<3 dark fantasy via FROM

I want that armor in your avatar, that's one heck of an armor

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Tylahedras said:
Everyone's had the experience where a black phantom invades while you're in the menu and kills you right?

I'm really curious, if it's a 100% open world is there anywhere you can go where you can't be invaded and killed? If not (shivers) this is going to be one brutal online experience.
There's a spell that can turn you into a vase, hopefully you can still use the menu while using that spell. :p should be easy to get a jump start on invaders using that spell.

Zeliard

The latest Geekbox is unintentional gold. Everyone should go listen to their Demon's Souls conversation. The amount of misconceptions and sheer misinformation are madness, and some of them actually played the game (or at least the first stage).

Zeliard

Zzoram said:
I didn't know that Geekbox was still going. I haven't seen a GAF thread about it in ages.

It's not so much a "haha, go look at what those idiots are saying" thing (though they objectively do say a lot of shit that is just wrong), but it's interesting to see what some who have barely played or haven't at all played Demon's Souls think and have to say about it. You can easily tell what sort of reputation that game has developed among the ignorant.

And these are games media people. One of them, for example, kept going on about how the game gets harder every time you die. He's confused about the world tendency system, not realizing that you have to die in your body for the tendency to drift to black, and when you die you go to soul mode where dying no longer impacts tendency.

He thinks every single time you die at all the game increases in difficulty, and he says this publicly, and so everybody ignorant of Demon's Souls believes the FUD. And then you get a game with a rep as masochistic, and whose fans are suffering from some form of Stockholm syndrome.

It's just amusing to watch. These are the people whose job it is to know this stuff, and they're just terrible at it.

Raistlin

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
What makes it all the more horrifying is it is based on real life. Well maybe not the attacking you part.

Go do a search on 'the wheel' medieval torture device. :(

Fucking TERRIBLE

Pancho

Qurupancho
Hype is through the roof!

Have to thank GAF for introducing me to Demon's Souls. If I hadn't ventured into the thread I wouldn't ever played the game. So once again, thanks GAF, for introducing me to one of the greatest game of all time. Now Dark Souls awaits, my body is ready, not even a 1000 deaths will stop me!

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Right, that's it. I'm going to load up Demon's and try to finish the game I recommend to everyone, lol.

Ratrat

I for one was incapable of finishing Demons Souls. :D
Wish From would make more games with similarly awesome atmosphere though. Echo Night, Kings Field etc...

Zzoram

Zeliard said:
It's not so much a "haha, go look at what those idiots are saying" thing (though they objectively do say a lot of shit that is just wrong), but it's interesting to see what some who have barely played or haven't at all played Demon's Souls think and have to say about it. You can easily tell what sort of reputation that game has developed among the ignorant.

And these are games media people. One of them, for example, kept going on about how the game gets harder every time you die. He's confused about the world tendency system, not realizing that you have to die in your body for the tendency to drift to black, and when you die you go to soul mode where dying no longer impacts tendency.

He thinks every single time you die at all the game increases in difficulty, and he says this publicly, and so everybody ignorant of Demon's Souls believes the FUD. And then you get a game with a rep as masochistic, and whose fans are suffering from some form of Stockholm syndrome.

It's just amusing to watch. These are the people whose job it is to know this stuff, and they're just terrible at it.
Someone should email them the wiki link. Sounds like Ryan is going to try to play a bit more, with the wiki he might beat it and convince the others to follow suit.

So does anyone know specifically which font they're using for the webpage and logo and everything. I'm sure it's something obvious, but I just can't figure it out...

Top Bottom