• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DEATHLOOP Review Thread

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
10 is a perfect score no? i mean......giving 10 to a game does not seem very convincing? i dont know.
A 'perfect score' is a misleading term, as it indicates you are inclined to think it should be a perfect game. It is strange how games seem to be the only media that suffer from this mentality (probably due to the technical nature of them) but I've never really known people say a film or album shouldn't be given a top available score or a review. Also all reviews are subjective, so it could fit an individual's tastes perfectly and validate their scoring of it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
how in the FUCK is this game netting 10's :pie_roffles:

not in a million years i would have guessed it. It looks so fucking boring in the IGN review i can barely gather enough care to finish the review..

yet this might actually be a game i like. :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I wouldn’t call this a XGS GOTY though, their impact on this games development could be considered limited at best.
Psychonauts 2 seems like a fine game as well but same argument can be made in that case as well, since the majority of dev time was spent before getting picked up by XGS.

Very good studio pickups nonetheless and I’m sure their talent and experience might help XGS produce some really really good games in the future.

Are they owned by Microsoft? Yes? then they’re a Microsoft Games studio.

Bethesda Softworks is listed as the publisher for the game. Microsoft paid $7bn to buy 100% of Bethesda. Ergo, Bethesda = Microsoft.

FingerBang

Holy shit. I went from "I'm picking it up" to "FUCK I WANT IT NOW!". Man, Sony is being great even with third party games this gen. First Returnal and now this!

SLB1904

Banned
how in the FUCK is this game netting 10's :pie_roffles:
Playstation tax, at least that's what I heard. If was an xbox game it would get 7s
grin-face-grin.gif

Jadsey

The fact people are trying to give MS credit for this is the most embarrassing thing I've seen in a long while. How fucking desperate are you? My God.
Made me laugh too....I expect it's the same people that said MS absolutely had nothing to do with Bleeding Edge and the giant ant game. Can't have it both ways.

CitizenZ

Banned
I just watched ACGs, first review I had seen, Im good waiting for sale. But, I still think this is too much of everything they have already done, especially to me, this game is very similar to Preys DLC Mooncrash.

Hunnybun

A 'perfect score' is a misleading term, as it indicates you are inclined to think it should be a perfect game. It is strange how games seem to be the only media that suffer from this mentality (probably due to the technical nature of them) but I've never really known people say a film or album shouldn't be given a top available score or a review. Also all reviews are subjective, so it could fit an individual's tastes perfectly and validate their scoring of it.

I wonder if it all stems from Edge magazine's weird fetishization of their '10' score, basically reserved for "revolutionary" games. It only used to be given out every 2 or 3 years.

I've always thought a perfect score is about what your typical game of the year contender should get. ie not 'perfect', but absolutely excellent with very few major flaws.

Banjo64

cumsessed
The fact people are trying to give MS credit for this is the most embarrassing thing I've seen in a long while. How fucking desperate are you? My God.
Probably just happiness and validation because Bathesda/Zenimax have been written off as some dog shit bottom of the barrel publisher just because Fallout 76 was shit.

I think the reason this game was dunked on so much (apart from the OTT marketing) was because Arkane games, imo, are waaaay better to PLAY than to WATCH

Hella excited! Awesome work, Arkane 🔥

Arun1910

Damn, 90 on Metacritic.

Honestly, it did look like a fun game. Only issue I had was marketing over exposure, just got irritating.

Looks like I'll pick this up!

Bartski

Gold Member
Wow, congrats to Arkane. Like I said in the other thread, all the heat it took this year had very little to do with the game itself.
It's Sony giving it a lot of spotlight while everyone wanted news about first-party next-gen stuff instead. Turns out they knew what they're doing.

Jadsey

Probably just happiness and validation because Bathesda/Zenimax have been written off as some dog shit bottom of the barrel publisher just because Fallout 76 was shit.
Followed by Rage 2 and Wolfenstein: Young Blood to be fair.

I also think Doom Eternal was fucking awful, but I know I am an outlier on that one.

Fools idol

Banned
the conspiracy theories are quite funny. Honestly guys - It's really great. You are reading into things way too much.

As far as my own personal score it's a 9. Haven't even finished it yet so could even reach a 10 by the end, I'm enjoying it way more than any dishonoured game.

supernova8

Banned
Well that one video review from EZA told me more about the game than I managed to learn in all of the (absolutely shit) marketing done by Arkane and/or Sony. Still not for me, definitely not interested but at least now I know what the bloody thing is.

DonJorginho

Banned
About DualSense implementation:

the DualSense controller is leveraged to incredible effect and in perhaps in a fashion that is superior to any other PlayStation 5 title to date. The haptic feedback is wonderfully palpable, rattling along with aplomb as you unleash on enemies with automatic firearms. Then there's the adaptive triggers which not only provide expected palpable resistance, but also provide a surprising amount of stiffness when your weapon jams which is not only scary from a gameplay perspective, but is exacerbated by the sensations that the adaptive triggers provide. Quite simply, Deathloop is a perfect showcase for the PlayStation 5 and feels 'next-gen' in ways that transcend the potent hardware that purrs underneath the console's stylish chassis.

saintjules

Even with the high review scores so far, it's not something I'll jump in day one. Looking at the gameplay, it could be something I'd play eventually, but something still feels off about it.

tommib

Haters now moving on to the next release :)

Amazing reception and kudos to the devs
I’ve never been as convinced that NeoGAF is absolutely biased and can’t see a good game even if it hits them on the head. It’s all agendas. Same thing happened to Returnal.

Top Bottom