• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DEATHLOOP Review Thread

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Happy for Arkane and Xbox game studios.

Surprised by the 10s though.

I think it will level out to a 88MC which is about what I expected.

Ozriel

M$FT
The fact people are trying to give MS credit for this is the most embarrassing thing I've seen in a long while. How fucking desperate are you? My God.

People are rightfully giving the publisher credit for their own game that they funded.

…And the publisher (Bethesda) is wholly owned by Microsoft.

It’s common sense. Which, sadly, doesn’t seem so common.

But I guess you’ll see for yourself when the GOTY nominations come up :)

DonJorginho

Banned
Well if anyone remembers this when it comes to GamePass I'll play it then. Nothing about this screams 10/10 or $70USD/$90CND.
Go Ahead Reaction GIF

I can’t. Is it because of the ethnicity of the main characters?

Sure also a few more things: enemy bodies dissapear automatically pretty much making it pointless to be careful in or out of stealth, you can shoot or explode something near enemies and they dont react which means they dumbed down the AI and these are just a few among other things. It's basically a very casual game which critics love as they don't like a challenge.

XXL

People are rightfully giving the publisher credit for their own game that they funded.

…And the publisher (Bethesda) is wholly owned by Microsoft.

It’s common sense. Which, sadly, doesn’t seem so common.

But I guess you’ll see for yourself when the GOTY nominations come up :)
Microsoft bought them (BGS) mid production. They had nothing to do with this game being developed. Like I said, it's embarrassing.

TrebleShot

Really impressed by how this is scoring.
Def picking this up.

I could be wrong but isn’t ACG one of the dudes who isn’t into the dualsense and thinks the haptics and triggers are a gimmick? That’s completely against my own views on the DS I think it’s a game changer and a reason to buy on platform over another beyond tiny res improvements.

Looking forward to trying this.

just so everyone is aware ( didnt wanna post before embargo) there are some significant bugs with enemy AI and pathing - as well as some very noticeable texture loading issues on PS5 version.
I actually saw textures loading in the gameplay trailer from last thursday hah. The camera cut too quickly and the textures streamed in hah.

winjer

Gold Member
Seems like this is a watered-down Dishonored, with roque-lite elements, with a 60's aesthetic.
I was hopping for something much better, from a studio like Arkane.
Ad the bad optimization, and this seems like a disappointment.
Might pick it up a year from now, at some sale, with a heavy discount. But this doesn't seem like a game worth full price.

KAL2006

Banned
For PS5 only owners if they love the game so much then a eventual Deathloop 2 releases only on Series X/PC it's going to be hard to not pick a Series console up or they will have to give up a game they like.

I think out of all the aquisitions Arkane and Playground are the best one Microsoft purchased.

Fredrik

Looool I did Not expect this! 6,8,7,9,9 on the Gamereactor network. Seems divisive but still great average, 7.8, and 10/10 on IGN is nuts.

Too bad first person shooters ain’t my thing, I still want to try it but not at full price.

XXL

For PS5 only owners if they love the game so much then a eventual Deathloop 2 releases only on Series X/PC it's going to be hard to not pick a Series console up or they will have to give up a game they like.

I think out of all the aquisitions Arkane and Playground are the best one Microsoft purchased.
Easily. Without a doubt.

Oh! So the little bit that I’ve seen of this game hasn’t tickled my pickle. I honestly know essentially nothing about the story or gameplay. I had no intention of getting it.
But these review scores…. I think I might jump in on this one blind and see what happens.

Edit: Had some Sony rewards so I pulled the trigger. Preloading now. Kind of excited to see what's up.

Last edited:
€40 on key sites. Very tempted to buy and not wait a whole year.

Do any reviews detail the quality of the multiplayer?

It will be interesting to see if Sony have commissioned dlc for the future.

XXL

Bethesda IS a Microsoft company.
You think Instagram isn’t a Facebook company ? Or Twitch isn’t an Amazon company? lol

You’ll come to terms with this eventually.
I don't need to come to terms with anything. I've been saying forever Arkane is NOW MS's best studio. They had nothing to do with the creation of Deathloop.

That's why it's a timed PS5 exclusive, unless you are dumb enough to think MS funded a timed PS5 exclusive.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I don't need to come to terms with anything. I've been saying forever Arkane is NOW MS's best studio. They had nothing to do with the creation of Deathloop.

That's why is a timed PS5 exclusive, unless you are dumb enough to think MS funded a timed PS5 exclusive.
Cease this. Cease this at once.

• LOL
Reactions: XXL

jaysius

Banned

Watching now, I am not going to waste time on reviewers I generally don't agree.

Wow, what he's described is very interesting, AI can shit the bed completely, this is a STEALTH FPS, where the STEALTH part is really enforced. "Gameplay never steps up to be something unique"

All of these things don't sound like a 10/10 game. A STEALTH FPS sounds quite NICHE, I'm not the biggest fan of it, I played Dishonored kind of sloppy, and that worked, here it sounds like that would get you killed and make you reset your game.

Typically reviewers have said that a 10/10 is a game that ANYONE can enjoy, but a stealth FPS isn't that.

Last edited:

NickFire

I'm really surprised by these reviews. The game being on sale for so long before launch really lowered my expectations.

Fredrik

Do you think a sequel could arrive this generation? They’re doing Redfall now and a new Dishonored will probably arrive too before Deathloop 2.

reksveks

Do you think a sequel could arrive this generation? They’re doing Redfall now and a new Dishonored will probably arrive too before Deathloop 2.
Different team doing Redfall, this is Arkane Lyon and Redfall is Arkane Austin. I think they might go back to Dishonoured or Prey though.

Top Bottom