• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon’s Souls Remake needs to have an Easy difficulty setting

Nehezir

Banned
SotFS is actually a point of contention within the community as a lot of the changes are the subject of some degree of back and forth, with the against crowd feeling like they inputted more cheap shots than not.

I don't know why you'd bring that up as though you could expect any soul's fan to be pro-SotFS but admittedly most I've met want to forget DS2 even happened.

bender

What time is it?
I'm still not asking for anything, I'm simply pointing out that they made changes with SotFS and those changes could be made for any DS remake game ... removing/moving enemies, more checkpoints etc. I'm not "asking" for it, I'm saying its entirely possible and unlike some posts in this topic, it would not require a complete game rebuild. I don't understand why people are against the game having options when it'd still have its core "normal" gameplay available to the purists.

You seem awfully hung up on the wording. Asking, hoping, wishing, desiring. I'm not saying you are writing letters to From but you are wanting the games to be something they are not. For better or worse, we have no idea how added difficulty options would effect the balance of the game. To date, it's not something they've incorporated in their titles so I'm going to assume they have their reasons.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
It’s simple. The developers have a vision of a game they want to make. It’s not for everyone, it might not be for you, but for a decent group of people it is for them, and these days not much is for them. Let them have their thing, you have your walking simulators and we don’t demand a difficult mode. Not everything has to be for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

carlosrox

Banned
At least the game gives you an out.

The out is awful.

If I want to fix that I need to grind and backtrack a BUNCH and repeat that process numerous times. And that's assuming I don't die, slowing down that process even more.

What does attacking NPCs even add to the game?

A large part of the mechanical satisfaction of beating that game would effectively be removed, and for what?

Would be like asking horror films to be less scary or gory for squeemish people. Not all things need to be for everyone.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The out is awful.

If I want to fix that I need to grind and backtrack a BUNCH and repeat that process numerous times. And that's assuming I don't die, slowing down that process even more.

A sense of realism to the world. That was Miyazaki’s intention. Not to make it very difficult, it to bring as much realism to the gameplay as possible.

Self

So why was enemy placement, trap placement and many other things changed in Scholar of the First Sin? If it was so accurate the first time around...

They changed the behavior and enemy A.I. They did not just rearrange random shit you know.
Not to mention that DS2 was always the weakest part.

It should be way more difficult than it was.I found it to easy could play the game without shield and no magic back in the day.Instead of one red phantom there should be 3 at once on black world tendency.The Gekkos should be even more difficult to catch and more secrets where it’s unthinkable To find them.I hated that in dark souls everyone could wear Havels armor because it was free to get no skills needed.Only the best and skillful should get rare stuff.

Last edited:

T8SC

Gold Member
They changed the behavior and enemy A.I. They did not just rearrange random shit you know.
Not to mention that DS2 was always the weakest part.

I'll just repost this:

Some, not all, of the changes.

• the dragon in heide's, plus the heide knights obvs
  • some changes to no man's wharf(cant really tell you any details)
  • I think some changes to brightstonecove, specifically just before the spider room
  • Iron keep Samurai placement is cancer now
  • Drangleic theres a room where you would get ambushed by about 10 statues without being able to escape, save you manage to kill them, the statues remain statues now
  • shortly after there used to be a lot of archers with greatbows and it was really hard to get to the loot. now has a chariot horse and some of the old knights(same as in heide's)
  • shrine of amana enemy placement changed a bit
  • in lost bastille theres a "shortcut" where you can essentially skip a bos if you enter from the no mans wharf side. in vanilla it required a pharros stone to open, now its always open
  • some new pursuer spawn locations and a few more stone statues gating off paths.
  • lot more npc invasions. Fuck forlorn :D, also sharron and dennis in iron keep.l
  • Dragon aerie now is skippable. the shortcut that you previously had to be unlocked is now immediately accessible. but the actual dragon aerie is gated off by a stone statue
  • dragon shrine. the dragon bros won't atack you as long as you defeat the big knights before advancing(I think that feature is new). previously you had to fight your way through a lot of dragon bros.

Nehezir

Banned
The out is awful.

You're awful. You fucked up, get over it and pay your lumps. Some games have consequences, rather than catering your sense of conveniences.

Attacking NPC's gives players quite a few minor things. Items hidden in their deaths if they want to sequence break(rarely) is one.

condigy

Didnt scroll through the entire thread so apologies if this has already been said;

No,
To add to that, you can play on your own rythm, get help from other players/NPCs (some require some quests) and start with the royal class.
That should give you a good chance of completing the game. Some areas will most likely get you killed at the start(1-3, 4-1, 5-1,5-2)
But slow and steady will get you victory. PS3 version was an amazing experience when initially played. In case you get stuck dont be bothered to check a guide. The inital release of the EU version for DeS even included a guide

Self

I'll just repost this:

Some, not all, of the changes.

• the dragon in heide's, plus the heide knights obvs
  • some changes to no man's wharf(cant really tell you any details)
  • I think some changes to brightstonecove, specifically just before the spider room
  • Iron keep Samurai placement is cancer now
  • Drangleic theres a room where you would get ambushed by about 10 statues without being able to escape, save you manage to kill them, the statues remain statues now
  • shortly after there used to be a lot of archers with greatbows and it was really hard to get to the loot. now has a chariot horse and some of the old knights(same as in heide's)
  • shrine of amana enemy placement changed a bit
  • in lost bastille theres a "shortcut" where you can essentially skip a bos if you enter from the no mans wharf side. in vanilla it required a pharros stone to open, now its always open
  • some new pursuer spawn locations and a few more stone statues gating off paths.
  • lot more npc invasions. Fuck forlorn :D, also sharron and dennis in iron keep.l
  • Dragon aerie now is skippable. the shortcut that you previously had to be unlocked is now immediately accessible. but the actual dragon aerie is gated off by a stone statue
  • dragon shrine. the dragon bros won't atack you as long as you defeat the big knights before advancing(I think that feature is new). previously you had to fight your way through a lot of dragon bros.

Does this summary indicate some random replacement or the lack of new enemy behavior and new enemy A. I?

T8SC

Gold Member
Does this summary indicate some random replacement or the lack of new enemy behavior and new enemy A. I?

"They did not just rearrange random shit you know. "

Yes, did you read the, non-exhaustive, list? Changes to statues no longer coming alive, changing placement of Samurai, more NPC invasions, shortcuts now open without needing the stone, entire area skippable etc

Self

"They did not just rearrange random shit you know. "

Yes, did you read the, non-exhaustive, list? Changes to statues no longer coming alive, changing placement of Samurai, more NPC invasions, shortcuts now open without needing the stone, entire area skippable etc

So that's random according to you?
I understand how you think level design works. I've nothing further to ad mate. Thanks.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Eight pages to essentially arrive at the same damn point we do every time this topic comes up:

Play Souls more, get better at Souls, no longer think an easy mode is necessary.

Or if you can’t get better for whatever reason, play something else.

Everything else is bullshit.

T8SC

Gold Member
So that's random according to you?
I understand how you think level design works. I've nothing further to ad mate. Thanks.

Did they change the game? Yes
Did it need an entire rebuild? No
Could they do the same again but with an emphasis on making it a touch easier (less enemies for example) - Yes

Thanks, cya around mate.

T8SC

Gold Member
Play Souls more, get better at Souls, no longer think an easy mode is necessary.

But if you have a family or other stuff in your life that is more important than repeating the same area in video games, simply fuck off cos you wont git gud, you're a lazy horrible casual and we don't take kindly to your type.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
But if you have a family or other stuff in your life that is more important than repeating the same area in video games, simply fuck off cos you wont git gud, you're a lazy horrible casual and we don't take kindly to your type.

Jesus, you’re weird. No one’s putting it like that to you. Your projection is quite something. I’m going to put you on ignore now, as you obviously have issues coping with people who suggest that getting better at a game will help you appreciate it more.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
But if you have a family or other stuff in your life that is more important.
Then you play the game that fits you life better, you wont be able to play games like MMO or even long single player RPGs like Xenoblade.

T8SC

Gold Member
Jesus, you’re weird. No one’s putting it like that to you. Your projection is quite something. I’m going to put you on ignore now, as you obviously have issues coping with people who suggest that getting better at a game will help you appreciate it more.

8RKI06ArCz0KlwoMKvd6QZ9iYHhvLyziCoDTsYskVduBROHN9V7LKaNvIaE7Cy9Q_csBFn3nRGtuZXhErMNSQw_cb44C-94WotZ5ssFlIAzF82tHlNUGLDxSZDk2o8tuLhFbQ_8YcbHz5JHTkJwmRPVbmMWmC4mcxF0

PresetError

Neophyte
I'm weird. My videogame skills are pretty garbage but I hate when people ask for easier difficulties in games. At the same time, I hate gamers that use videogames as a way to feed their ego and treat every person that doesn't match their skill as subhuman.

Let developers make their games as they want. Let people play games the way they enjoy them the most. Assume not every game is for you and not every gamer is like you. And shut up about it.

bender

What time is it?

The Souls game don't have countdown timers. You can exit the game anywhere and pick right back up where you left off be it hours, days, weeks or years.

Keihart

Dev: let's make diying a mechanic so failure states become part of the gameplay.
People without patience: what a dumb design, make it easier, REEEEE

At this point, posters are just not acknowledging that Souls games just like most rouguelikes have mechanics that allow you to control difficulty within them without a menu to select dificulty.

Saber

Ask yourself this:
Do you go to cinema with a family to watch violent videos or videos with sex scenes?

Or do you choose wisely before going?

T8SC

Gold Member
Ask yourself this:
Do you go to cinema with a family to watch violent videos or videos with sex scenes?

Or do you choose wisely before going?

9a1bfa80bc1ddc61f4fc28af06d9bc0f.png

Depends on the age of the family members.

Last edited:

Saber

9a1bfa80bc1ddc61f4fc28af06d9bc0f.png

Depends on the age of the family members.

Everything depends.
Maybe you have a daugher who can't stand gore or violence. Maybe your wife doesn't like sex scenes on movies. Even your son might not take well blood.

The point stands. People aren't mad to demand a movie to suit their preferences. Thats on them. Ever heard a normal person asking "Could you make Saving Private Rian with no violence so I can watch?"

A game is hard? Find a game that is easier and move on. Games, like movies, shouldn't adapt to the person needs. Its the other way around.

junguler

Banned
i agree, i play all of these kind of games with cheats anyway, adding easy mode to these games will improve them and make it that more people can enjoy them.

T8SC

Gold Member
Everything depends.
Maybe you have a daugher who can't stand gore or violence. Maybe your wife doesn't like sex scenes on movies. Even your son might not take well blood.

The point stands. People aren't mad to demand a movie to suit their preferences. Thats on them. Ever heard a normal person asking "Could you make Saving Private Rian with no violence so I can watch?"

A game is hard? Find a game that is easier and move on. Games, like movies, shouldn't adapt to the person needs. Its the other way around.

You cant compare a movie, which is Xhrs of non-interactive entertainment, with a game.

In most cases, games have options/settings, these allow the player to customise or alter the game to suit their needs. Perhaps they arent fussed about being challenged and just want to see the story unfold, perhaps they just like to be immersed, perhaps they just want to collect trophies, whatever the reason may be, it is different to a movie which is filmed and is unchangable (Unless your name is George Lucas).

I've already touched on the Star Wars analogy but since I've mentioned Mr Lucas I'll do so again.

People complain that the special editions "Ruined Star Wars" ... a bit like people saying an easy mode will "Ruin Dark Souls".

But wait a second, the original Star Wars movies are out there to watch (Granted harder to find these days) just like the normal mode of Dark Souls will be there, untouched, for the purists to play through. So what difference does it make to have a mode with less enemies or more checkpoints?

Grinchy

Banned
You know what doesn't resonate with me? EDM festivals.

But I'm not going to complain about the fact that tickets are sold to these things. I won't sit here saying that if they want their ticket sales to reach a wider audience, they'd better change the kind of music that gets played and turn down the laser lights.

Not every product is for every person. Don't be one of those people who thinks that it has to change for your benefit. Just know that it doesn't resonate with you and don't buy it.

Barakov

For people who have a life and don’t have a lot of time to replay the same section over and over again.

It would be great to have an easy setting so I can actually enjoy a Souls game for once.

Ninja Gaiden Black has an easy setting if you died 3 times in a row or something like that. It never took away from the original experience

And please don’t tell me about coop MP. Ain’t nobody got time for that.
no-no-no-very-bad-man-Babu-Bhatt-seinfeld-gifs-finger-wag.gif

Fnord

What is the fascination some people have with wanting to change something they don't like into something completely different? If you make an "easy mode" for a game that is renowned for being difficult, you no longer have that game. It's a different game. Here's an idea... play games you like and don't bitch about games you don't like. It would be like saying, "They should make a single player, RTS version of Fortnite."

Vaelka

If Dark Souls had an easy mode I probably never would've become a big fan of the series and the game would never have become one of my favorite games of all time.
I actually returned the game the first time I bought it because I wasn't in the mindset at all for a difficult game, if there had been an easy mode I would've toggled it on and beat the game easily and just forgotten about it.
Instead I returned it and picked it up again later when I got into lore videos and actually stuck with it and ended up loving it, and the difficulty trial and error was an integral part of that.

Yep, fuck the purists.
easy as an option would be great.
it’s an option not a mandatory mode for better players.

On a base and surface level you're right, but things don't work that way in reality.
Another thing a lot of people don't seem to understand too is that death is a part of the actual story and lore too, an easy mode would compromise the whole vision of the game in so many ways. The only people that want an easy mode are people who don't understand the series at all tbh.
Death is a game mechanic, not a fail state.

And how do you think people become '' better players ''?
Because they stick with it and practice since the game forces them to, an easy mode compromises that part of the experience because a lot of people would use it and later regret it.
This reminds me of the same bs with people wanting auto combos in fighting games... Like damn some people are really scared of putting in some work.

Last edited:

KiNeMz

Banned
Agree. Also please put my little pny in it for those that like that, but also make it dark and gritty because people like that aesthietic. Also make it open world because heaps of people like open worlds. Also make it linear because a lot of people don't like open worlds. Make it first person aswell, but also make it optional to 3rd person so people can see the players armor. Put less zombies in it because people are over zombie games, but put more undead boss fights because people like those too.

How about No.

You cant have your cake and eat it too. You want to feel the love and passion people have for these games, you need to go through what they went through. The difficulty is wehy these games are adored. You remove it you remove the passion, the fulfillment, the enjoyment. Clocking a Darksouls, Bloudborne or Sekiro is a trophy in itself. You make an easy mode, the original fans that made the game popular wont buy it. Simple.

You need to do a little work for some reward. You cant just have reward.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Oh is it meant to be one of those annoyingly hard games?

I’ll probably give it a miss then. The fleeting times I have to play games should probably be spent on something else.

KiNeMz

Banned
No. The challenge is the defining feature of the entire genre.

Its not the sort of game that rewards you with flashy cinematics for beating each boss, the progression is the reward.

This guy nails it.

This games rewards is the accomplishment. Its the personal accomplishment. It may take you 2 tries, 4 hours, 6 days to beat a particular boss. Thats the journey and thats the reward. You provide the option for a 1 shot of a boss. It now means nothing. For everyone. The game losses its soul, its whole design philosophy. These games are about the mental checks, the ups and downs your mind goes through each time you fight. The entire trek to the boss fight is the preparation, the skill check, is my mind in the right frame now, is this the one. All that is destroyed with easy mode. If you dont wont to play that then fine, dont. But dont request that it gets watered down for all and destroys it for this niche market. Let them have there game. I didnt ask for Dream daddy to have hetro dating. Its niche. Let it be.

Top Bottom