• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I've been against the notion of allowing Bluepoint to make their own game for quite some time. Mainly because they are simply not a studio built to do such a thing. Despite that many people on this forum say it would be nice to get their own game. If Bluepoint does have an interest, I say let them see what they can do on Demon's Souls DLC. Maybe they can surprise us or remind us that they are a remake studio and not one for developing their own original games.
There is just to much about DS to get wrong and i think many people would be angry if it is not perfect.

I would realy like to see what Blupoint can do on their own.

Let them make their own game. Or another remake.

Just not DLC for Demon's Souls.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It’s one archstone. In wouldnt mind at all. Especially if they added another boss battle that was challenging. It would be a nice way for them to create new content without doing a full game. They probably are booked with unannounced remakes and won’t be able to do a full original game for years.
Yeah, I'd be curious. Make the 6th Archstone completely optional. No harm in that. If it isn't great then move on.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
It’s one archstone. In wouldnt mind at all. Especially if they added another boss battle that was challenging. It would be a nice way for them to create new content without doing a full game. They probably are booked with unannounced remakes and won’t be able to do a full original game for years.
How dare you say it is just one archstone! :messenger_winking:

People already dedicated so much time to explain why there is no sixth archstone.

As much as i try to think about it i can not see a positive outcome of Bluepoint creating additional content for this game.

Even if it is very good. They are not From Software.

Demon's Souls is like a painting to me.

Would you like to see someone extend a Picasso?

FrankWza

Even if it is very good. They are not From Software.

Demon's Souls is like a painting to me.

Would you like to see someone extend a Picasso?
They aren’t. But, given the job they’ve done and the fact that from games have evolved so much since then, I’ll allow it. There’s a YouTube video showing the level and what it may look like from someone and I’m sure From would map it out and let them make it. So it’s not extending, just finishing. It wouldn’t be completely from the ground up. MG series is my favorite but if kojima gave his blessing and blueprint I would be totally fine with a new entry. It worked for rising. Survive not so much.

edit: also, these guys are gonna get old and pass the baton. Video games are really a young industry. I don’t want to see IPs go away forever. New ideas are great but some universes can be explored forever.

Last edited:
I'm at the start of NG+ with full black character tendency and things are difficult.

I've beaten Phalanx and Armour Spider but having trouble getting any further. I think my best bet is to go for 4-1 first but it's a really difficult slog just to get to the boss every time. My other consideration is probably to try 3-1 and 5-1 (they'll obviously be next for me if I can pass 4-1). Probably I should give these a try in any case.

Anyhow, I'm still quite wowed by just how much more difficult NG+ is. Maybe the black character tendency is a big part of it but MAN. I took a break to play Cyberpunk and so I'm probably a lot rusty so it all feels really hard but I still think it's incredibly difficult. It's probably going to be a while until I come back to it in full force again as I'm hoping for a more relaxing gaming experience at the moment.

If anyone has any tips for me I'm all for hearing them.

I'm a Knight whose main is the Dragon Long Sword and Lava Bow. I went full black to do Mephistoles questline in my first playthrough and only have a few trophies left to get the platinum. I don't think there are any black phantoms that will change my character tendency within easy reach at the moment either. Gonna be a tough one!

I'm at the start of NG+ with full black character tendency and things are difficult.

I've beaten Phalanx and Armour Spider but having trouble getting any further. I think my best bet is to go for 4-1 first but it's a really difficult slog just to get to the boss every time. My other consideration is probably to try 3-1 and 5-1 (they'll obviously be next for me if I can pass 4-1). Probably I should give these a try in any case.

Anyhow, I'm still quite wowed by just how much more difficult NG+ is. Maybe the black character tendency is a big part of it but MAN. I took a break to play Cyberpunk and so I'm probably a lot rusty so it all feels really hard but I still think it's incredibly difficult. It's probably going to be a while until I come back to it in full force again as I'm hoping for a more relaxing gaming experience at the moment.

I'm a Knight whose main is the Dragon Long Sword and Lava Bow. I went full black to do Mephistoles questline in my first playthrough and only have a few trophies left to get the platinum. I don't think there are any black phantoms that will change my character tendency within easy reach at the moment either. Gonna be a tough one!
You could do black phantoms in 1-1 2-2 3-1 and 4-1 but I wouldn't recommend the 4-1 one in ng+ with that build. Best way would be to find someone willing to invade you and then let you kill them. Repeatedly.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

NG+ on pure black was quite a challenge. So many things would one shot kill me. Once I got up to Pure white and went into NG++ it was hilariously easier

You could do black phantoms in 1-1 2-2 3-1 and 4-1 but I wouldn't recommend the 4-1 one in ng+ with that build. Best way would be to find someone willing to invade you and then let you kill them. Repeatedly.

How do you get the invasions to specifically come to you?

Edit: Nevermind I can google this information for myself. If anyone is on here and is early in NG+ and wants to try and do this please let me know :D I think the dying will send your character level down though so you would only want to do this if you're looking to re-spec I think.

Last edited:
How do you get the invasions to specifically come to you?

Edit: Nevermind I can google this information for myself. If anyone is on here and is early in NG+ and wants to try and do this please let me know :D I think the dying will send your character level down though so you would only want to do this if you're looking to re-spec I think.
You use a password. I could do it as I have a character at the start of ng+ but not ATM as I'm off to bed.

RNG

Been playing this game again after taking a break from it for a while. I just wasted 25k souls on a statue that only mirrors the levels and re-customize your character, wtf lol.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Is the blueblood sword still pretty awesome? I haven't played in a few months but I'm ready to beat it and move on to ng+ right away. I just want to make sure I'm good to go. I'm wanting to do some magic too, do those combo well?

TheBoss1

Been playing this game again after taking a break from it for a while. I just wasted 25k souls on a statue that only mirrors the levels and re-customize your character, wtf lol.
It's not entirely useless and I can acquire 25 K souls in about 30 seconds of loading into a level. I'll let you figure it out if you don't wanna spoil yourself though.

Last edited:

RNG

It's not entirely useless and I can acquire 25 K souls in about 30 seconds of loading into a level. I'll let you figure it out if you don't wanna spoil yourself though.
I just beat Maneater and Old Monk so far. How close am I to the finish line?

RNG

Finally beat the game and it felt super easy towards the end, probably because I did King's Tower first and then World's 4 and 5 after lol.

Mr Hyde

Went back now after a month hiatus. After I got the plat I took a break but feeling that Souls itch coming back, such a great feeling. Continuing on my strength build. Thinking about maining either Dozer Axe or Meat Cleaver.

It's such an incredible remake. I can't get enough of this game. Or this series. It's a never ending drug. They are so fun and addictive. And the gorgeous graphics are awesome, it's probably the best looking game I've seen. Every area is just dripping with atmosphere.

Just finished my NG+5 and did it without taking any hits. Gotta edit the video and chop it up but what a fucking rush getting through all of that

Flamelurker almost fucked my run up multiple times, sheeeeeeeeeeeeesh lol

TheBoss1

Just finished my NG+5 and did it without taking any hits. Gotta edit the video and chop it up but what a fucking rush getting through all of that

Flamelurker almost fucked my run up multiple times, sheeeeeeeeeeeeesh lol
It took me a while to learn how to beat the spider demon without cheesing, but I still struggle with Flamelurker unless I use magic spells. His AoE attack and fast, aggressive playstyle doesn't really give me a chance to recover when I'm using straight or large swords.

It took me a while to learn how to beat the spider demon without cheesing, but I still struggle with Flamelurker unless I use magic spells. His AoE attack and fast, aggressive playstyle doesn't really give me a chance to recover when I'm using straight or large swords.
Man honestly you have to just trick Flamelurker into running around the poles and getting stuck then slash the shxt out of him, then bait him into the double fisted slam and move away. Rinse/Repeat

I'd argue he's the hardest boss in the game if you don't thief ring/poison cheese him. Mainly because of his aggressiveness/speed. Its crazy I spent all these years thinking Allant was one of the harder bosses(I sucked at Souls games up until like...2018 when it just sorta clicked, lol)...but I can mop the floor with Allant and never take damage, melee only too

Flamelurkers hardest attack is the quick little untelegraphed swipes smfh

Last edited:

TheBoss1

Man honestly you have to just trick Flamelurker into running around the poles and getting stuck then slash the shxt out of him, then bait him into the double fisted slam and move away. Rinse/Repeat

I'd argue he's the hardest boss in the game if you don't thief ring/poison cheese him. Mainly because of his aggressiveness/speed. Its crazy I spent all these years thinking Allant was one of the harder bosses(I sucked at Souls games up until like...2018 when it just sorta clicked, lol)...but I can mop the floor with Allant and never take damage, melee only too

Flamelurkers hardest attack is the quick little untelegraphed swipes smfh
Every time I attempt to beat Flamelurker with a sword in the middle of the stage, it ends in a swift death because he's relentless in his attacks.

Penetrator is another that is much harder without the help of Biorr distracting him. You can dodge his attacks but if you slip up, he does major damage with that cursed penetrator sword.

I've never actually lost to King Allant. Maybe because he was one of the last bosses I faced in the game so I already had the game mechanics down for the most part. His attacks are way more predictable and slow, except for when he does that quick 3 slash attack when you're near him.

RNG

I enjoyed the remake so I decided to get the original off Ebay :goog_cool: . Played it a bit and I'm already liking the atmosphere a bit more than the remake.

#TheMiyazakiCut

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
Ok, does anyone know if the royal boletarian armor (digital version ONLY, apparently) can be dropped? Here's my (admittedly stupid) situation. I had the disk version of the game and then found out that the armor and a few other things I could care less about, are only available via the digital version. Long story short, for....reasons, I decided to buy the digital deluxe version. Mostly so I can have it in my library going forward.

Now...we STILL can't delete character files, which is just...weird. But I have some starter characters that already exist but I was hoping when I went into them now they'd have the royal armor and other items from the digital deluxe. But they don't. So I assume that means that I need to make ANOTHER NEW character and file and that THAT character will then have the items? Cool...but my starter characters already have some things like the falchion or moonlight sword. I don't want to have to prep MORE characters and add MORE character files just to do this.

So is it possible to drop the armor so I could do ONE character and drop it to a friend who could then drop to my other characters? Anyone know this? Or am I off base and I CAN get the armor on my existing starting characters...just need to go somewhere first? I read that stockpile thomas is supposed to give to you when you hit the Nexus...

Mr Hyde

Made a new character and going for a Blueblood sword-build. It's very stat hungry but I want to try it out. The sword looks so damn cool. I'm also pushing for lots of magic for offense and faith for defense. Been playing mostly melee now with my latest characters and I want to go back to magic. I'm much more comfortable with those kinda builds. Still aiming for lots of parries and riposte with the rapier, mainly because it has such a cool animation were you stab your enemy in the throat.

Managed to create a very good looking female sorcerer too and came up with some compelling back story for her which revolves around Blueblood sword and Maiden Astraea. What I like most about Demon's Souls is the role playing aspect and the fact that it's almost like a digital version of a table top Dungeons and Dragons.

Mr Hyde

Finally back to my PS5 and Demon's Souls after a two and half week vacation with my girlfriend. I created this character just one day before I left, which in hindsight wasn't a particular good move, because I've had some serious Souls-cravings, 😆

Anyway, picking up where I left off, about to free Freke so I can get Geri's Stiletto. Gonna have it as secondary weapon to my Blueblood sword. Probably gonna try out some cool rapiers such as Epee Rapier. Also gunning for high magic defense and defensive spells. I think this character will be my best yet.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm pretty late to the party here, I've had my PS5 for a few months but have been saving this game while I've played other games. But now I'm a few bosses in, and I'm loving it. I've beaten it before on PS3, but this amazing remake makes it feel new again (but still familiar).

Anyway, a question: Is the game supposed to lose connection to the servers and automatically quit out to the main menu every time I wake the PS5 up from rest mode? I understand the connection can't be kept alive during rest mode, but why can't it just reconnect without having to quit out? It's not exactly a COD. It makes rest mode almost useless for this game. I guess I could play offline, but I like having messages and seeing the shades of other players suffering along with me.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Anyway, a question: Is the game supposed to lose connection to the servers and automatically quit out to the main menu every time I wake the PS5 up from rest mode? I understand the connection can't be kept alive during rest mode, but why can't it just reconnect without having to quit out? It's not exactly a COD. It makes rest mode almost useless for this game. I guess I could play offline, but I like having messages and seeing the shades of other players suffering along with me.

Every Souls-games have been like this. They always lose connection in rest mode. It's nothing new. Also, the load times are so fast in Demon's that quitting to main menu, going into rest mode and then jump back in when you boot up is a non issue.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Every Souls-games have been like this. They always lose connection in rest mode. It's nothing new. Also, the load times are so fast in Demon's that quitting to main menu, going into rest mode and then jump back in when you boot up is a non issue.

Yeah, I guess it's always been like this. I don't really see the reason why it can't just reconnect though, would have been a nice QOL improvement in the remake. But yes, it does load back in very quickly, so it's just a small annoyance.

skit_data

The youtube content creator Illusory Wall has made a comparison between the original PS3 Demon’s Souls (though he is emulating it in this video) and the 2020 Remake. I think this is only Part 1 and that more will follow in time.

Edit: Looking at this video (and this is only in the tutorial area) it strikes me how much work had been put into the remake. Its laughable to call it ”the same 2009 game”. The effort put into the 2020 remake (even the art direction liberties that may or may not work for you) cannot be called anything else than really impressive. Bluepoint really are a top tier studio.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Best game I've played this year.

Finally getting the chance to play it. I could cry at how beautiful this game looks. As someone who's been playing Dark Souls Trilogy on PS4 recently and coming to this.

God, it's just mind-blowing. So crisp, and looks amazing.

Yeah, it's awesome... I never played on PS3, hardly knew about it back then. I've had it since launch but I never really got into it till a couple weeks ago and I'm deep in NG+ now with only 3 trophies left to platinum.
Was considering looking to play DS3, since I have it in my back catalog but I might just wait for Elden Ring...

Yeah, it's awesome... I never played on PS3, hardly knew about it back then. I've had it since launch but I never really got into it till a couple weeks ago and I'm deep in NG+ now with only 3 trophies left to platinum.
Was considering looking to play DS3, since I have it in my back catalog but I might just wait for Elden Ring...
I think you'd like Dark Souls 3.

It's probably the most 'fair' Souls game, I loved it. Some beautiful scenery in that too. Despite being a PS4 title, it holds up really well.

NeptuneCL

Best game I've played this year.

Finally getting the chance to play it. I could cry at how beautiful this game looks. As someone who's been playing Dark Souls Trilogy on PS4 recently and coming to this.

God, it's just mind-blowing. So crisp, and looks amazing.
Indeed, it is good, no doubt about it, but I think they could do better that just a graphics update. They could have donde another zone (the broken archstone for example), but no, they just make it prettier, which certainly it ir.

It's a good game, but idk, the remakes can be taken as another chance to bring more stuff to the original game and make ir greater (like REmake for the Gamecube).

Last edited:

DelireMan7

I finally succeed to get a PS5 last week and I have started the remake.

I first experienced Demon's Souls after I was done with Dark Souls (my best of all time game) in 2013. It was OK but felt like a beta version of Dark Souls.
Then last year, I wanted to redo it before I could experience the remake. I appreciated it much more than the first time. Love the ambiance and atmosphere. It has some problems, notably some unfair moments which are absent in other Souls but overall a pretty good game with an unique feeling.

So I was super excited to finally play it. But my first session was more disappointment than excitement. After 30/40 min spend on the obscure and non intuitive (as in any Soulsborne) character creator (but still I have the feeling I was more limited than in others Souls), I hop into the game. It is for sure really pretty (I am not someone who is interested in graphics in general) but something felt off. You see, I am one of those fanboy who was praying for no change in the gameplay... but controller in hands, I realized that it might not be the best idea.... Graphics are off the roof but everything else was feeling dated (especially the new facial animation for NPC) which left me with a really weird feeling.

Then I played a lot with the "graphical option" (different filter and performance/cinematic mode) which something I hate a reason of why I stay away from PC gaming. I was a bit overwhelmed and conflicted if I should use filter or not to see the vision the devs choose for the visuals ambiance... I finally set up on the Classic filter (not a fan of the filter less option) with film grain.

Then there was some small stuff that annoyed me a bit like how the "dynamic" HUD works (I wish it was easier to see it outside of combat. Like it's impossible to make the HP/MP bar reappears except by healing/restoring HP/MP. Same for the item/spell/weapons slots, it only appears when switching of the items/spells/weapons even in combat... It annoying to know which items or spell you're gonna use) and how the game doesn't show that you don't have the correct stat to wield a weapon when checking a merchant inventory...

So yes ! My first session was a lot of disappointment.

Then came the second session, where I just played the game. It was much better. It still feels like playing the original one with pretty graphics but it's good. I find again the unfairness which the successor get rids off but it's faithful to the original Demon's Souls.
So now I will enjoy my magician playthrough. I usually don't use sorcery in Souls because it feels bland and uninteresting but I wanted to experienced the sweet particle effect for this time. And I actually really like the new animation for spells, it feels much more dynamic and powerful (the old one was just basically "stretch your arm and a energy arrow go out").

I did the first Boleteria level and Valley of defilement. I am now in the first level of Tower of Latria (curious to see if the atmosphere is as good as in the original and I want to free Freke for my build ^^)

Last edited:

TheBoss1

Then I played a lot with the "graphical option" (different filter and performance/cinematic mode) which something I hate a reason of why I stay away from PC gaming. I was a bit overwhelmed and conflicted if I should use filter or not to see the vision the devs choose for the visuals ambiance... I finally set up on the Classic filter (not a fan of the filter less option) with film grain.
Why anyone would hate having options is beyond me. It's almost like you can completely ignore it. The "vision" Sony and the developers chose was to give us freedom in deciding which resolution, framerate, and other graphical settings we want to play in.

Mr Hyde

Fell in love with Istarelle on my previous Blueblood build, so I decided to make a build solely focused on her. I'm a spear guy anyway and I love faith in this game with all the healing augmentation spells. The backstabs with spears are brutal, the animation and feedback in the controller is so satisfying. Man, this game plays like a dream. High quality as fuck. 150 hours now and counting.

Chronicle

So it's time. I never thought I'd be a sucker for punishment as I'm not the most skilled game guy. However, Bloodborne was getting such praise, and I generally trust the community, so I tired it and loved it. It took me two years to finish. Then I decided to try DS3. It was awesome! Then DS1 remaster went on ridiculous sale and I thought 'well, its time for a little more masochism in my life'. I got it and really enjoyed it despite the aging. Well, now it's time again. I upgraded my ps plus to extra for 20 bucks for the rest of my term (hell why not?) Demons Souls itself is worth more than that. So Demon Souls it is!

I'm a graphics WHORE when it comes to games and Souls with good graphics?????? Hell. yeah. First, it looks gorgeous and I'm looking forward to the experience. Hope it'd not as painful as they say. I usually go soldier/ knight build. Something standard. My play style is 'come the fuck at me!!' I'm a two hander that usually fucks shit up. That's for generally all games from battlefield to any rpg, I'm right in the thick of it ALWAYS. I like that.

So wish me luck and any tips would be appreciated.

Lastly, I have bought all these awesome games (All of them) for less than a hundred dollars (or close to it). A fucking steal compared to what they're worth.

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
So it's time. I never thought I'd be a sucker for punishment as I'm not the most skilled game guy. However, Bloodborne was getting such praise, and I generally trust the community, so I tired it and loved it. It took me two years to finish. Then I decided to try DS3. It was awesome! Then DS1 remaster went on ridiculous sale and I thought 'well, its time for a little more masochism in my life'. I got it and really enjoyed it despite the aging. Well, now it's time again. I upgraded my ps plus to extra for 20 bucks for the rest of my term (hell why not?) Demons Souls itself is worth more than that. So Demon Souls it is!

I'm a graphics WHORE when it comes to games and Souls with good graphics?????? Hell. yeah. First, it looks gorgeous and I'm looking forward to the experience. Hope it'd not as painful as they say. I usually go soldier/ knight build. Something standard. My play style is 'come the fuck at me!!' I'm a two hander that usually fucks shit up. That's for generally all games from battlefield to any rpg, I'm right in the thick of it ALWAYS. I like that.

So wish me luck and any tips would be appreciated.

Lastly, I have bought all these awesome games (All of them) for less than a hundred dollars (or close to it). A fucking steal compared to what they're worth.
Good luck and have fun! Demon's Souls Remake for PS5 is a blast. If you haven't read into it, read about World Tendencies and try to get an understanding of how that will effect your experience.

Chronicle

Want to play this game in 4k but it looks horrible choppy as hell. I just don't get it. I can play most games at 30 fps (GOW) and not even notice buy games that give you the option (Horizon FW, TLOU Remaster and this) look like absolute shit in 30 fps.

Jebron

Want to play this game in 4k but it looks horrible choppy as hell. I just don't get it. I can play most games at 30 fps (GOW) and not even notice buy games that give you the option (Horizon FW, TLOU Remaster and this) look like absolute shit in 30 fps.
Expecting 30fps to play well is like having diarrhea and expecting to use the same amount of toilet paper.

Last edited:
Top Bottom