• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Describe the ideal vr experience that would make you instantly order a vr headset

kicker

Banned
(And for those who already have headsets, that would make you use it almost as much as your console/pc)
A lot of talk has been had about what manufacturers need to do to get vr off the ground.
But let's look at this from a consumer standpoint.

Speak only of yourself, describe the 5-minute ad that would make you instantly order a vr headset (and presumably keep you playing it)

No scenario is too extreme. Open up your imagination.

Mine:
- Dozens of my most played games all announce vr ports I can try out and keep for free as long as I have the flat version in my game library.
- New games that cannot be fully enjoyed anywhere else (total war or homeworld built from the ground up for vr would be examples).
- Multiple movement options as the standard for all the games.
- Fully wireless standalone headset, highly adjustable for comfort.
- Cheaper than, or the same price as my pc setup.
- Options to easily fix accessories like headsets or eyesight aids.
- Something like the virtuix omni but more refined as an option for physical space movement

Yes, the above is currently a fairytale. Yes, I will probably not be getting into vr for a long while

What about you?

Last edited:

kicker

Banned
PSVR 2 Alyx.
Fair.

I have crazy respect for alyx, I think it's one of the only true 'next-gen' games, and I'm bloody impressed with what valve has done, but I don't think alyx alone has enough pull to justify a vr headset for me

kicker

Banned
I prefer good game + 1000mc of LSD.

Way cheaper n waay better than VR
But ... your username ... this post ...
Kidding Me What Happened GIF by Harlem

• 3d modelling/animation software/in general more creation tools from within VR itself
  • ways to apply/practice learning multiple languages
Are what jump to mind as of this writing

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
New games that cannot be fully enjoyed anywhere else (total war or homeworld built from the ground up for vr would be examples).
There are good VR strategy games, two set in space are Eternal Starlight and Gods of Gravity, there are more. Most anything one may wish for has been done in VR and more games release all the time but there's no coverage so you gotta look for it yourself. They may be indies but they're great.

Bonus third spacey game that doesn't quite fit any set mould.

For in-your-face spacestuff nothing's gonna be beating No Man's Sky and Elite Dangerous in VR for a while, unless Starfield ends up good and gets either an official VR mode a la Skyrim VR (and Fallout 4 I guess) or a mod (or an official mode modded to be way better, again like Skyrim VR).​

Last edited:

Mozzarella

Game set in space, VR, high AAA production, exploration based only, no combat, very atmospheric, horror themed isolation, very mysterious, basically Outer Wilds but with even high production values.

mortal

Gold Member
Grand Theft Auto VR.

If not made from the ground up for VR like Half-Life: Alyx, then at least an iteration of GT7's VR mode.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
a chatting game where you can join other people's worlds, choose your own custom modeled avatar (with particle effects). with full body tracking support, face tracking support, eye and hand tracking support too. You can rave in the comfort of your home, or play minigames with friends, or even talk to people with funny avatars. You can go and run around and have fun without having to get in a car and pay money to do anything....

oh wait
that already exists

i just don't own a vr headset yet. was gonna make plans to buy one but then i decided to hold off because we're getting a bunch of new VR stuff this year

Last edited:

PillsOff

Banned
But ... your username ... this post ...
Kidding Me What Happened GIF by Harlem
Kinda joking.
But i did found an old LSD blotter while cleaning .... next day after RE4R came out...on my day out ..oh boy...i can't even explain what happened properly but it was a fun play session

I can also add that systems, intend, talent n writing gives depth n pulls you into the game rather than gimmicks.
N we have not many games capable of that now days(well..this year is very promising actually)

kicker

Banned
There are good VR strategy games, two set in space are Eternal Starlight and Gods of Gravity, there are more. Most anything one may wish for has been done in VR and more games release all the time but there's no coverage so you gotta look for it yourself. They may be indies but they're great.

Bonus third spacey game that doesn't quite fit any set mould.

For in-your-face spacestuff nothing's gonna be beating No Man's Sky and Elite Dangerous in VR for a while, unless Starfield ends up good and gets either an official VR mode a la Skyrim VR (and Fallout 4 I guess) or a mod (or an official mode modded to be way better, again like Skyrim VR).​

Oh, shit, those look cool.

Yeah, 20 more of those across different genres and the rest of my demands then sure, I'd give in

Last edited:

Crayon

I love vr but there is nothing that will make me use it more than flat-screening. It's a more involved thing.

One thing though is that a the moment, haveing upgraded from a psvr1 , I am basking in the glory of bein able to turn the fuck around while standing. Holy moly that was my biggest reason for upgrading after the game lineup (which is fantastic. Suck it.) So I am a little averse to sitting down and turning with a stick for the time being. I'm sure I'll get over it so I can sit when appropriate.

From there, a headset would have to be very comfortable and easily "openened", like a psvr/2 without the shroud. I like doing that but putting the light shroud on and off either is a minor pain. So much more light and comfortable, open edges around the face, and more (not dozens and dozens of aaa conversions ,though that would be great of course) in the game pipeline is what I could imagine getting me to use it as much as flat screen.

edit: acually "get you to buy one" and "use it as much as flat screen" are two wildly different questions. "What got you to buy one" would be better.

Last edited:
I don't know if this will be feasible in the next decade or maybe ever, but for me personally, the thing that will make me instantly into VR would be 3 things (1 being way easier than the other two) 1. Completely wireless headset, 2. Controller-less, whether by eye tracking, room sensors, or a tracking suit, or some other way 3. Most importantly, and also the biggest longshot, fully solve motion, whether it be a treadmill or sorts, some sort of wire or harness, or any other way of doing it that's not teleporting or shrinking the playing space to the size of the room.

I also want full fledged AAA games but I feel like those will come well before my other wants

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Oh, shit, those look cool.

Yeah, 20 more of those across dofferent genres and the rest of my demands then sure, I'd give in
There's way more than 20.

For Alyx-type meaty fps adventure stuff for example there's been Boneworks, Bonelab, District Steel, Lonn, Apex Construct, Vertigo 2 just came out, Saints & Sinners and Saints & Sinners Chapter 2 also sorta fit the style (even if they have sandbox/immersive sim elements on top), Into the Radius, Paradox of Hope, horror game Lies Beneath (REVR gets all the hype now but this did it all first) and more. Also certain games that aren't great for everyone but are great if they hit the mark for you, ie the inventive at the time Phantom: Covert Ops with its unique take on stealth action FPS.

For puzzles there are stuff like Cubism, Squingle, Puzzling Places, I dunno, there are so many given the genre is so open ended. There's also portal-esque stuff or crazy time bending work with your past/future self stuff.

For farming stuff there's plenty games but it's not my genre so I'll list one, Garden of the Sea (on all platforms but PSVR2 trailer is the latest).

Racing and flying and other sims are covered, from made-for-VR like VTOL VR or also being flat like DCS or MS FS. Also some really cool and in-depth VRChat aviation worlds that rival any stand alone game (actually there are impressive VRChat worlds in many genres that are super high quality).

For classic adventure you have everything from the Lone Echo duology, Myst and upcoming Firmament to The Room VR and the Red Matter duology or the soon to be trilogy I Expect You to Die, Dysncronia and its sister games and the soon to be duology Retropolis.

I dunno how to even classify stuff like Yupitergrad 1 & 2 and Windlands 2, sure they're technically Alyx-like (since all except the first Yupitergrad also have a lot of action) but the very unique and different locomotion method they're hardly comparable or similar in the end.

Role playing stuff that range from almost console-game-in-VR to all immersing, from Vengeful Rites and Skyrim VR to Ancient Dungeon which is like RPG Spelunky and the soon to be duology of Arcaxer or the Souls-like Grimlord and others in that vein or the Japanese Ruinsmagus.

I dunno how to classify the Zelda-lite action adventure that is Journey of the Gods either, low fi mobile graphics or not I loved it on PC all the same and I'm sad Meta or anyone hasn't funded a sequel. Or how to classify Guardians Frontline since it's basically Halo + RTS elements + campaign + conquest + coop + pvp + full Halo Forge-type editor with downloadable user generated content, it's crazy what some folks put out there and people who don't know say VR has no games or no depth. Ah, too many embeds, oh well, time to end the editing.
https://youtu.be/YSmH7rStGbQ https://youtu.be/QueARw8ddP4
I'm not even scratching the surface here. Hence the constant edits to add more and more but it's futile anyway, I had a list of games to start with on pastebin in 2021 but it's been futile to even try to keep it up to date, can one possibly make a readable list for flat games? VR is past that point too.
https://pastebin.com/ZfGjDVbp
I'ma stop, I don't wanna list wars your thread (or spend hours responding to everyone's already-been-done-requests) but there are many high quality VR games in any genre, just a lack of coverage outside big names and casual sellers (which are cool too, from Walkabout Mini Golf to Pistol Whip).

Final edit: have to mention one last trippy gravity bending thing that is Unification which went totally under the radar even in VR circles, as VR is also home to creative hard to classify stuff like that. Maybe add Phr00t's games to the list since most semi-recent ones are both flat and fully VR too.
https://youtu.be/6vrvL4q_zhw

Last edited:

kicker

Banned
  • 3d modelling/animation software/in general more creation tools from within VR itself
  • ways to apply/practice learning multiple languages
Are what jump to mind as of this writing
So practical use beyond gaming? Feels like metaverse development will cover what you're looking for as long as the zuck sticks with it. Productivity tools were a big part of that initial meta rebrand

that already exists
they really should rename this vr hub or something and try to rapidly expand somehow. Better marketing maybe, because they really have something with this perpetual pregame lobby energy

kicker

Banned
There's way more than 20.

For Alyx-type meaty fps adventure stuff for example there's been Boneworks, Bonelab, District Steel, Apex Construct, Vertigo 2 just came out, Saints & Sinners and Saints & Sinners Chapter 2 also sorta fit the style (even if they have sandbox/immersive sim elements on top), Into the Radius, Paradox of Hope and more coming all the time. Also certain games that aren't great for everyone but are great if they hit the mark for you, ie the inventive at the time Phantom: Covert Ops stealth action adventure that takes place all in a kayak and watery environments to suit that.

For puzzles there are stuff like Cubism, Squingle, Puzzling Places, I dunno, there are so many given the genre is so open ended.

For farming stuff there's plenty games but it's not my genre so I'll list one, Garden of the Sea (on all platforms but PSVR2 trailer is the latest).

Racing and flying and other sims are covered, from made-for-VR like VTOL VR to adding VR like DCS or MS FS. Also some really cool and in-depth VRChat aviation worlds that rival any stand alone game (actually there are impressive VRChat worlds in many genres that are super high quality).

I'ma stop because I don't wanna list wars your thread but yeah. There are many high quality VR games in any genre, just a lack of coverage outside big names and casual top sellers.​

All good. Recommendations are welcome, vr stuff doesn't get pushed much and it's difficult to sort through tbem

Leisure Suit Larry. Already got the best headset though. (psvr2)

I'd like a fully fleshed out Disc Golf game. Something better than Sports Champions or Rec Room's Disc Golf.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Full fledged system seller titles exclusive for VR
Something like Elder Scrolls or Zelda
Most prominent VR games are ports of older games or some sort of alternative stories to mainline games nobody asked for.

Reactions: Fbh

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
So practical use beyond gaming? Feels like metaverse development will cover what you're looking for as long as the zuck sticks with it. Productivity tools were a big part of that initial meta rebrand

they really should rename this vr hub or something and try to rapidly expand somehow. Better marketing maybe, because they really have something with this perpetual pregame lobby energy
it seems like it can be as big as roblox or Fortnite for the type of 'game' it is but since VR is still quite niche it's not all that popular yet

kicker

Banned
Full fledged system seller titles exclusive for VR
Something like Elder Scrolls or Zelda
Most prominent VR games are ports of older games or some sort of alternative stories to mainline games nobody asked for.
Hm. I wonder if a new, exclusively VR MGS by kojipro + konami would do it for most people

Buggy Loop

I'm probably jumping on a Quest 3 without much incentive other than i want to get rid of the goddamn fresnel lenses.

Valve Deckard announced with a new Half Life would immediatly turn my head though

kicker

Banned
Most importantly, and also the biggest longshot, fully solve motion, whether it be a treadmill or sorts, some sort of wire or harness, or any other way of doing it that's not teleporting or shrinking the playing space to the size of the room
I always wondered why this never took off
(beyond the price and the fact only certain games worked on older versions, of course)

Last edited:

Techies

I'm just waiting for the Universal Unreal VR Injector and Quest3 at this point to be released publicly. If Quest2 headstrap work with Quest3, it's an auto buy.
Right now I'm just checking this person's videos to get an idea of what is to come.
https://www.youtube.com/@waifu_enjoyer

I just like how even old games like Darksiders Genesis is given new life, just buy having the ability to move the camera with your head and the additional camera angles the mod seems to provide.

Also I almost bought Marvel's midnight suns after watching this, before I realized I'm probably going to have to wait a few months still.

If a game like Marvel's midnight suns had native VR support, took a few tips from the Demeo developers it would be a really good VR game.

Markio128

VR is a companion piece for me and I love having access to both flatscreen and VR games. In the main, I’m currently enjoying Resi 4 flatscreen and GT7 in VR.

There is no way I wouldn’t have bought PSVR2 knowing that the full GT7 game was playable.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I sold my Oculus Rift after getting a Quest 2. For me to use it as much as my monitor, it'd be solving the latency/hitching issues I get when using the AirLink & Virtual Desktop wireless streaming and to have at least one more game up to the production value and depth of Half Life:Alex.

BTW, really bummed about the reception of The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners 2, so I haven't bought it yet. The first one is my all-time favorite VR game

Knightime_X

I'm nearsighted. (Blurry from a distance)
I've demo'd a vr headset before but it was horribly blurry.
Granted the guy didn't give me time to adjust anything, so now I worry if I get one I'm stuck with vr n64 edition.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If I didn't already have a PSVR2 when trying out GT7 in it for the first time, I would have ran out and bought one after that experience.

fart town usa

Gold Member
12 monthly payments and 0% apr w/o having to sign up for a credit card.

Ordering directly through Sony, the above was possible with a third-party payment processor offered at check out.

PSVR2 is being delivered tomorrow and I'll be paying roughly $49 a month for the next year.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
You can play countless great classics in full VR now, and it's amazing, new ports every month... but not if you buy a locked-in piece of equipment like the PSVR. I don't think the value is justified if you don't have access to all the homebrew content out there, so any headset permanently locked out of a PC connection is a bit of a joke.

I'm playing through the HL2 episodes now after re-experiencing the base game in beautiful VR, I'll be playing Duke Nukem 3D next, many Gamecube games work wonderfully with DolphinVR fork, there are VR arcade and retro-room emulator experiences to recreate anything you want... it goes on and on. So much great content.

Beechos

1. An enemy at the gates type vr sniping game. Would be a cross of silent scope, the climb and hitman.

2. A large scale vr paintballesque game. The headset can use ar to generate hazards/obstacles, etc....

Some sort of vr feedback maybe with magnets or something to make it feel like you are grabbing/holding something.

Last edited:
Top Bottom