• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Despite all the crap going on I still love this place as a gaming community

I'm most worried that a huge portion of the people left over will be gamergate type idiots. Really good people are leaving this site behind.

Especially given the absolute glee some of these posters are displaying about the whole crappy situation. You think the type of guys that are happy to see these staples of the community go are the type that will make the community be the same it used to be?

This is exactly what I meant a few posts previously. I'm waiting with baited breath to see what's left of the community and keeping my ears open... But it sounds like most are scattered to the winds.

If any of you guys ever posted in mental health OT throughout the years, thanks. You helped me, and a few others. It was nice to know there was a place I can go to for advice.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
No where else was I ever able to find a place with the in depth gaming discussion and obscure threads as I have on GAF. Regardless of what you think about whoever's in charge, the people here are still awesome. It's where I come to get all my news and discuss my favorite games with like minded people. And for that I'm thankful.

I just can't wait until we can get back to discussing games.

I thought the same about 1up/egm dying, but I think things fill in the gap better than it would initially seem. *********** seems like a potential replacement for instance, and there are people making a replacement at reset era. There might end up being more of the original community there than here.

EDIT: Oh wow, they banned it? that's crazy. I guess there's also waypoint or giantbomb forums.

toa95

Pen me down as someone who'd be interested in a discord link/invite. I was lost without gaf over the weekend and if this place does end up going down the drain, I'd like to know where most of the community migrates to.

The Dude

glad to see you stayed as i enjoyed your posts. hope all these account suicides happen quick so these people can talk about games again.

Yea man hopefully. I stay out of drama anywhere I go really... I don't put myself in position to judge someone, I mean if the guy were to actually get convicted somewhere then that's different but I still wouldn't take it out on the forum, know what I mean? I mean it's just a board... I never sat here thinking im doing this guy I have never met some sort of favor. So yea I'm here to chat it up, hopefully the idiots are cleared out sooner than later

DonF

I love it. Best place for news and the OTs are on another level. Love the memes and discussion of sales threads. I don't even open the threads about politics.

Best gaming forum ever.

I’d like to believe that’s still true. But now...I dunno. I’m so conflicted. I don’t know how the community is gonna crawl it’s way back to the prominence it once had. So many people making a martyr of themselves (and they are well within their right to do so). It’s not going to feel the same for a very, very long time.

Adaren

The community is what makes GAF. Wherever we end up, whether it's here or somewhere else, I just hope the community is every bit as wonderful as it used to be.

Christian

Been a GAFfer in one form or another since 1999. I’d greatly appreciate a Discord invite. Won’t know what to do without it.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
I'm just glad Gaf didn't go out like that

I also think The Last Night looks like a very interesting game. I am going to judge the game based on its own merits, as I would with any game.

True, that game looks freakin sweet.

Nosgotham

Seriously. That's the hilarious part. So many people with the "disagreeing will get you a ban" but none of them actually saying what it was that they were banned for.

one time i got banned because i stated that i thought the word 'ghetto' was not synonymous with a black neighborhood. everyone in the thread was calling someone out because someone used the term 'ghetto' to describe an area of town and everyone just jumped to the ''they must be talking about black people, they are racist'' dogpile. i stated that i don't use the word ghetto to assume demogrphics, just a run down shitty part of town or an area of lesser economic growth. thats it. insta ban. no dicussion, they said i was being intentionally obtuse to stir the pot.

i was being legit if you think someone is being racst for describing a part of town as the ghetto...look in the mirror. its textbook projecting. anywas . that was a while back but after a few bans for trying to engage in actual discussion about topcs i learned to shut my mouth or face ridicule or banishment .

I'd just fucking love a moderation team that doesn't ban on Feelings or Opinion, but on actual destructive behavior, trolling, active aggression ect.

There has been so many users here that have been down right fucking bullies, but have been given a pass because they bully people that don't share the GAF OPINION.

This is a goddamn discussion board, for opinions to be shared and discussed. Not a fucking political one side leaning tyranny where you are given the privileged of maybe sharing part of your opinion as long as it fits the criteria of the gaf majority (aka the unbanned few).

OR if that is not possible. Then don't allow ANY political or politically leaning shit to be discussed on both sides.

(killing off-topic is a nice touch as well)

MadeULook

I'm just glad Gaf didn't go out like that

I also think The Last Night looks like a very interesting game. I am going to judge the game based on its own merits, as I would with any game.
Also this. I too thought the game also looked neat. The art is absolutely amazing to look at.

Crownjo

It feels like a new forum to me right now. Not sure what to do but I think I will stay to see what the community will be like.

Farsi

The community is what makes GAF. Wherever we end up, whether it's here or somewhere else, I just hope the community is every bit as wonderful as it used to be.

I think it will be, we're just going to see a ton of new faces is all so it's going to take time to adapt to the new personalities in the sub communities we love.

Incredibly glad GAF is back, but honestly - OT was where most of my reading / posting happened in the last few years.

Any indication of where the OT crowd is going?

GAF's TV / Film / Music / Culture threads were literally the only worthwhile reads on the internet...

***Can I get an invite to that Discord everyone's talking 'bout?

It's a very convinient way to get your news and it's not that much of a hivemind, at least you're bound to stumble on every possible opinion. Not everyone here is a souls fanboy who thinks platinum should do every game and has a vocabulary that consists of "goat, trash, janky and oozes charm"

That hypocritical sony fanboy admin who is the embodiment of this site's bad name needs to go though. Like people here are quick to call people assholes for sounding intolerant, well it would be incredibly hypocritical to tolerate this site's horrible staff. He all condescending on OT to people with confidence issues that claim they can never find a partner by saying shit like "a woman doesn't owe you sex" when he's a rapist ass himself. Same with that gaping asshole dude with the ugly ass lucas avatar that is somehow not permabanned even though he's a known criminal on many aspects. So calling people that aren't entirely progressives assholes is ok but once you call out the corrupt staff, instabanned. Just sell it for 5m to whoever offered, they probably aren't criminals

Removing off-topic and banning the mentions of politics isn't a solution, no wonder shit like the jontron incident happens/freaking trump is president. Politics are everywhere, same with being a socially functional person that isn't a rapist/pedophile/abuser/etc. Being in a place about videogames, whether it's online or offline, doesn't exempt you from this. Be responsible and recognize your mistake

Agreed, OP.

I think it's best to be utilitarian about this and steadfastly recognize that the good in gaf far outweighs the bad.

Let's continue that but until this blows over, we will need to begin permabanning people who are just flagrant trolls.

Boglin

Seriously. That's the hilarious part. So many people with the "disagreeing will get you a ban" but none of them actually saying what it was that they were banned for.

I was never banned but you would have to be blind to not see the mob mentality that developed here. I never had any interest in arguing on this board because honest debate was impossible with the all or nothing mindset of the moderation team. Sometimes a different opinion is the right one and that is why I continued to lurk here despite the bias.

Durden77

I love GAF, but it's what GAF has created that I love. GAF is bigger than GAF. I will go wherever GAF goes, wherever that actually end up being.

Top Bottom