• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detailed overview of PS3 development station vs. PS3 console

Pimpwerx

j^aws said:
G70 has 16 ROPs not 24 ROPs.

http://www.beyond3d.com/misc/chipco...d=106&orderby=release_date&order=Order&cname=

It's fillrate is 6.88 GPixels/sec not 10.32 Gpixels/sec. I presume the above is a typo because it's assuming the same number of ROPs as 24 fragment pipes...
That's what I thought, Jaws, but it's clear that this is straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. I mean, I linked straight to nvidia.com. It doesn't get more official than that. I only noticed it b/c I went there to see if they had the official triangle setup rate. But perhaps...just maybe, there's been a change in the final spec? A change for the better? :lol Seriously, is there enough bandwidth to support that? 10.32GP*128bit/8 = 165GB/s or 82.5GB/s for 64bit color. I assume even with compression, you can't get that fillrate to comply with the buses on either the G70 or RSX. A theoretical max that's impossible to reach? Help me out here, I just put down my first after-work beer, and my brain's running on alpha hardware at present. :lol

I can't see why nvidia.com would have less accurate info than B3D. So I can only assume there's been a change, b/c both the fillrate AND ROPs figures are off. One typo is a mistake. Two on the same official spec sheet (that should have been proofread) is more than a coincidence IMO. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

gofreak said:
It doesn't say if that's the setup rate of the transform rate..
It's setup based on the figures from Anandtech a month or so ago. B3D lists it as the geometry rate, but I don't know if that means setup or just VS power. But even Xenos can transform billions of verts, can't it? I would assume this is setup just b/c it would seem like a low number for 8VS @ 430MHz. PEACE.

j^aws

Pimpwerx said:
That's what I thought, Jaws, but it's clear that this is straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. I mean, I linked straight to nvidia.com. It doesn't get more official than that. I only noticed it b/c I went there to see if they had the official triangle setup rate. But perhaps...just maybe, there's been a change in the final spec? A change for the better? :lol

Well, I haven't seen anyone else report 24 ROPs so I doubt it's true... ;)

Pimpwerx said:
Seriously, is there enough bandwidth to support that? 10.32GP*128bit/8 = 165GB/s or 82.5GB/s for 64bit color. I assume even with compression, you can't get that fillrate to comply with the buses on either the G70 or RSX. A theoretical max that's impossible to reach? Help me out here, I just put down my first after-work beer, and my brain's running on alpha hardware at present. :lol

You must be a black belt at 'drunken math' coz I have no idea what you're trying to do! :)

Pimpwerx said:
I can't see why nvidia.com would have less accurate info than B3D. So I can only assume there's been a change, b/c both the fillrate AND ROPs figures are off. One typo is a mistake. Two on the same official spec sheet (that should have been proofread) is more than a coincidence IMO. PEACE.

If it's not a typo then it must be an attempt at being economical with the truth or they must've used a branch of 'drunken math' too! :)

j^aws

I think you're asking if 64bit HDR and 128bit HDR are possible?

A 720P backbuffer with 4xSSAA, 64bit HDR,

Backbuffer size = 1280x720x12bytes*x4SSAA ~ 42 MBytes

*12 bytes/pixel = 96 bits/pixel = 64bit (FP16, RGBA) + 24bit (Z) + 8bit (Stencil)

Backbuffer bandwidth = 42 MB x 60 FPS x (2 read|write x 5 overdraw) ~ 24.6 Gbytes/sec

I think you're confusing fillrate with bandwidth but I'm not sure? :)

Wunderchu

j^aws said:
I think you're asking if 64bit HDR and 128bit HDR are possible?

A 720P backbuffer with 4xSSAA, 64bit HDR,

Backbuffer size = 1280x720x12bytes*x4SSAA ~ 42 MBytes

*12 bytes/pixel = 96 bits/pixel = 64bit (FP16, RGBA) + 24bit (Z) + 8bit (Stencil)

Backbuffer bandwidth = 42 MB x 60 FPS x (2 read|write x 5 overdraw) ~ 24.6 Gbytes/sec

I think you're confusing fillrate with bandwidth but I'm not sure? :)
I highly doubt that anyone would make use of 4x SSAA in a next gen. game ... the performance hit is too huge, IMO

although, I suppose 4xSSAA may be used in very rare cases..

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I highly doubt that anyone would make use of 4x SSAA in a next gen. game ... the performance hit is too huge, IMO
It was just as a big a hit this gen - and it still got used a few times - when there's no other option, you use what there is...

Personally what I find depressing about SSAA is that since we still don't have actual hardware support for it, all we get is ordered grid, so we piss a lot of performance for only so-so results.
If I could at least control sample positions, the performance sacrifice would feel less painful...

j^aws

Fafalada said:
It was just as a big a hit this gen - and it still got used a few times - when there's no other option, you use what there is...

Personally what I find depressing about SSAA is that since we still don't have actual hardware support for it, all we get is ordered grid, so we piss a lot of performance for only so-so results.
If I could at least control sample positions, the performance sacrifice would feel less painful...

Well this NV spec suggests that we get RGAA too,

NV spec said:
• Gamma-adjusted rotated-grid antialiasing removes jagged edges for incredible image quality...

http://nvidia.com/page/specs_gf7800.html

So it seems you get OGAA and RGAA...?

Wunderchu said:

although, I suppose 4xSSAA may be used in very rare cases..

As Faf mentioned, if it's usable, it'll get used. Anyway I was just showing an estimation of B/W requirements for a given example, without any bandwidth saving compression taken into account.

Also, in the calculation, replace 12 bytes/pixel for 64bit HDR (FP16) with 20 bytes/pixel for 128bit HDR (FP32) and remove the 4*SSAA for another rendering option! ;)

Top Bottom