• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Elden Ring Beta: PS5/ Xbox Series X/S First Look - Quality vs Performance Modes Tested

S0ULZB0URNE

Talking about the a technical test exhibiting the very same issues that have plagued From games for 13 years now like those 13 years don`t exist....
Fandom is one thing, but at the point where you start to ignore history it gets retarded.
Technical Test.
Months before the game launches. Do you know what this entails?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
That dog shit split RAM :messenger_anxious:
It's not splited or splited enough. Sadly this is the worst of the both worlds. Splited RAM, as we know from PCs would be preferable to this. But technically you just have the chips connected with less wires and since the topology of the memory is star not ring you don't get slowdowns to the slowest speeds (granted, if you are okay with 10GB for GPU data and 6GB for CPU, if you combine it, then yeah...). However you still have to deal with scheduling everything, because that command (how is it called, shit) processor is one, cause it had unified memory controller. So you are still dealing with limited number of data streams, which you can send it to the memory. Which frankly sucks, they should have did 6GB of DRR4 and 10 GB of GDDR6, but then the console would cost 700USD or more...

So no AF16x and all that shit, because you can't even spawn copies of the same thing in memory (you need feedback for texture, based on where it is, so you can calculate how to make it sharp), without causing to stall the spawn of new data streams for other things.

Edit: Worst of both worlds is probably not acurate, because I forgot about DDR3 + 32MB cache... Which, yeah that's a thing. STILL.

Last edited:
Think some effects like per object motion blur have already been lowered or removed on Xbox
Keep going, they not done yet.
Edit
Also motion blur typically is not that heavy
Side note. I hate motion blur and it should always have an option to turn it off.

Last edited:

J_Gamer.exe

Yes Tom, we understand, "that's not clear why PS5 is outperforming XSX in those scenes", very very mysterious indeed, very very baffling indeed... Act just a little bit more surprised for the crowds when PS5 performs better, will you? Honestly either you have absolutely not a single clue about respective specs of those machines or you are paid to act 'surprised'. May i humbly suggest theatre as a more fitting carreer choice to you?
Yet whenever the XSX is better than PS5 in any scene not matter how slight or short, no questioning, no enquiry . I imagine the conclusion is..... Ahh well its the world's most powerful console and the teraflops, the teraflops, it must be the teraflops sherlock.

This is what happens when they built the consoles up on specs and using the teraflops as the main comparison, a poor measure without so many of the other factors also.

But nope, they got everyone to buy into the teraflops and even now are perplexed when PS5 is ahead.

It's just not clear why guys, the teraflops shouldn't be allowing this 😭

Last edited:

J_Gamer.exe

Alright, im starting to believe that there is a real tool issue here for XsX. Coming into this gen i was a bit concerned about how the PS5 would hold up in multiplats. That was quickly addressed with early lunch titles favoring PS5. But now its been over a year and on Avg the PS5 has better performance with multiplats. I truly thought it would be a minimum of ~10 percent advantage in favor of XsX in most cases but it just isn't. When do we just conclude that the PS5 is the more capable machine?
Those who said the tools were the issue, so a year on whats the issue now? Still tools, will they get them finished before the gen is over?

Or is it that PS5 does have some real advantages over series x.

Wow surprised Sony has the upper leg. Must have to do with the engine preferring a faster clock on GPU. There is is time to iron things out before release, I hope.

Mr Moose

It's not splited or splited enough. Sadly this is the worst of the both worlds. Splited RAM, as we know from PCs would be preferable to this. But technically you just have the chips connected with less wires and since the topology of the memory is star not ring you don't get slowdowns to the slowest speeds (granted, if you are okay with 10GB for GPU data and 6GB for CPU, if you combine it, then yeah...). However you still have to deal with scheduling everything, because that command (how is it called, shit) processor is one, cause it had unified memory controller. So you are still dealing with limited number of data streams, which you can send it to the memory. Which frankly sucks, they should have did 6GB of DRR4 and 10 GB of GDDR6, but then the console would cost 700USD or more...

So no AF16x and all that shit, because you can't even spawn copies of the same thing in memory (you need feedback for texture, based on where it is, so you can calculate how to make it sharp), without causing to stall the spawn of new data streams for other things.

Edit: Worst of both worlds is probably not acurate, because I forgot about DDR3 + 32MB cache... Which, yeah that's a thing. STILL.
I meant with the PS3 (256MB XDR & 256MB GDDR3).

Haggard

Banned
Those who said the tools were the issue, so a year on whats the issue now? Still tools, will they get them finished before the gen is over?

Or is it that PS5 does have some real advantages over series x.
To be fair, a studio like From who is infamous for shoddy optimization is really not fit for any kind of performance comparisons.
Even their PC versions always had to work with brute force or even mods to get good results.

I think we can be greatful if From manages to get half of the 8 versions (PS4/PS4PRO/PS5/X1/X1X/XSS/XSX/PC) they are putting out properly optimized.... I´d expect every single one to have issues, as is tradition with From games. My guess is that they will optimize for the Sony platforms first and foremost as that`s where the most money is to be made, and the rest will get patches...at best.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
For this technical test, the game is deffo better on PS5. If the final game is close to this quality then everyone loses :/

I will be on PC but I was hoping to pick up a console version as well...maybe....I don't think I'll bother if its anything like this on either of these consoles.

PS5 could be lead platform, resulting in better performance earlier. Considering its a Japanese developers.

Ita a beta afterall.

I expect a smooth 30 at the very least on all platforms in quality mode.

RE: Village and Tales of Arise were Janapese games running better on XSX, guess XSX was the lead platform for those then...

Usually with games made on a lead platform they just scale them to the other ones. Which is why the PC versions are able to be the best and worst platforms for a game that was built on consoles.

If your system is more powerful it should be able to run the game better. However with PS5 and the XSX each system has it's own strengths and weaknesses. Sometimes games will be better on the PS5 other times they will be better on the XSX. While I do believe it will be more common for them to be better on the XSX every once in a while you get a title that likes the PS5 hardware better.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Just curious - why would you do this? Why not just buy it on PC and be done with it..?
I'm a huge from fan and I end up buying on multiple platforms....I really don't know why lol. I should stop I suppose.

I find it hard to believe that with some solid work on both platforms that this game couldn't run locked 60 so I think it will be the first I don't buy on console as I can't really support this poor performance :/.

Last edited:
I'm a huge from fan and I end up buying on multiple platforms....I really don't know why lol. I should stop I suppose.

I find it hard to believe that with some solid work on both platforms that this game couldn't run locked 60 so I think it will be the first I don't buy on console as I can't really support this poor performance :/.
Locked 60 is for sure do able. Time for the work is another question.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Edit
Side note. I hate motion blur and it should always have an option to turn it off.
This is just the beta. The final game will have a lot of other settings turned down. Resolution reduced too.

It’s too late for engine level optimizations so it is just going to be downgrades from here until launch. I’m guessing 1440p with lots of settings at medium.

Riky

$MSFT
Edit
Agree, it looks cleaner without the blur, looks like the performance mode on Series X with VRR will give you a good ride if nothing changes with the final game, also forcing 120hz output for the frame time variations. Good to see Series S hitting 1440p again.

Agree, it looks cleaner without the blur, looks like the performance mode on Series X with VRR will give you a good ride if nothing changes with the final game, also forcing 120hz output for the frame time variations. Good to see Series S hitting 1440p again.
Yep, I expect VRR to save this game. Same happened to me with GTA:SA, I barely see any hiccups in that game despite the frame rate (allegedly) being all over the place.

ParaSeoul

I meant with the PS3 (256MB XDR & 256MB GDDR3).
gamerjox__strong_bad__webcomic_by_hewytoonmore_d6j74ew-fullview.png

whenever i hear the PS3 specs i just think of this

RoadHazard

Gold Member
PS5 could be lead platform, resulting in better performance earlier. Considering its a Japanese developers.

Ita a beta afterall.

I expect a smooth 30 at the very least on all platforms in quality mode.

Why would you expect a smooth 30 when no game From has ever released on this engine has been a smooth 30? Even when they're technically rendering a steady 30 frames per second, there's framepacing issues that make the end result anything but smooth.

The 60fps mode is the only one that will be smooth, IF they can make it stick to that target (they won't).

Last edited:
So anyone who's using this game as a definitive proof of "bottlenecks" in Series X or superiority of PS5 design really doesn't understand game design or tech. For starters, if you're saying that it's less geometry-demanding games performing better on Series X, that doesn't make a lot of sense considering most of these games, especially cross-gen ones, are still leaning on the traditional graphics pipeline where things like pixel fillrate (another area PS5 has an advantage in) would matter.

Logic would say that if less geometry has to be culled, would that not increase the advantage for PS5 in multiplat titles that otherwise have better performance on Series X? Understanding that, then can we try not using any of these early games (especially cross-gen ones) as indictments or absolute proofs of a system's bottleneck weaknesses/supposed technical superiority?

Because the way I'm seeing it, a dev like From Software (for this example) are probably a lot more used to Sony's APIs and middleware tools, acclimated more with their hardware architecturally, and given most of their fanbase console-wise are on Sony consoles, likely prioritize that family of devices as their lead platform, so any performance issues present among multiple console builds are going to likely first get cleaned up/addressed in the Sony platform versions before others, logically speaking.

This doesn't ignore the fact the PS5 version (at present) has better overall performance, but the sheer amount of e-dicking from some people to use one game example to indict another platform's design decisions is baffling and hilarious, and it'd be the same way if this was a game running better on Series X. At the end of the day, these are still cross-gen games in design and most are still games probably leveraging PS4/PS5 as the lead target platform, it'll be a while before we start seeing next-gen only multiplat games starting to harness fully the strengths of these systems. And even then, it'll come down to if they favor the traditional graphics pipeline or a more modern mesh-orientated graphics pipeline, as one system has a decent advantage for the former and the other a decent advantage for the latter.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
*looks at endless arguing about graphics*

Have people really forgotten what open world design does for graphical fidelity in games and how it changes the development process? *sigh*

Personally, having skipped Bloodborne and Sekiro (personal tastes issues), I really look forward to Elden Ring and think that this preview looks better than Dark Souls 3. For all those nitpickers, I'll be playing PC 1080p30 freesync'd and enjoying every minute of it. :)

onQ123

*looks at endless arguing about graphics*

Have people really forgotten what open world design does for graphical fidelity in games and how it changes the development process? *sigh*

Personally, having skipped Bloodborne and Sekiro (personal tastes issues), I really look forward to Elden Ring and think that this preview looks better than Dark Souls 3. For all those nitpickers, I'll be playing PC 1080p30 freesync'd and enjoying every minute of it. :)
If this was a PS5 / Xbox Series only game they could do Open World with high fidelity thanks to the SSD

Vagos48

This is a BETA I am sure both versions will get optimized by feb. there really shouldn’t be this much back and forth over a beta.

but if you are really so “concerned” then do what I’m going to do and get it for pc. I just don’t fuck around with a souls game performance.
It will not be a technical marvel in a pc as well, judging by previous titles.
Usually with games made on a lead platform they just scale them to the other ones. Which is why the PC versions are able to be the best and worst platforms for a game that was built on consoles.

If your system is more powerful it should be able to run the game better. However with PS5 and the XSX each system has it's own strengths and weaknesses. Sometimes games will be better on the PS5 other times they will be better on the XSX. While I do believe it will be more common for them to be better on the XSX every once in a while you get a title that likes the PS5 hardware better.
Maybe the other way round . Once in a while there is an Xbox game that performs better.

Neo_game

LMAO, people fighting over a game that is ugly as hell and that would already having been considered extremely technically subpar back in 2014

Same can be said about any other game. I am not sure there is going to be big jump of what we have seen already. The only difference I see this gen is that games will run at 60fps and 1440P instead of 1080P 30fps with textures and some other settings as high

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
If this was a PS5 / Xbox Series only game they could do Open World with high fidelity thanks to the SSD
While admittedly that would help the engine's final level of performance, that wouldn't help the heart of this issue, and less the final result of the game than you think.

Keeping it simple, the issue here is graphical fidelity, if you will. Taking a mostly corridor/arena-based game (from's demons souls to sekiro still qualifies as this) to a complete open world with the same level of detail and quality worldspace requires at least 2 of these three

1) A large improvement of development tools (early ps3-to-end-of-life-ps3 for an extreme example)
2) A more experienced game development staff whom are very familiar with the project type they're working on, making planning, developing and polishing far faster and efficient
3) A jump in hardware power

A boost in staff size would help with the quantity of content in the changes of game type (corridor > open), but quality would suffer (even if allotted extra development time, experience is still incredibly valuable especially at dealing with details)

Personally I'm quite happy with the videos I've been seeing with the network test, and look forward to an "open world dark souls" game and can't wait to play this gem. :)

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I just hope that the PC version is decently optimized. Playing the network test on my ps4 pro was pure suffering.

Hope they fix the performance on this. Not sure why its having such a hard time.

Also wish they mentioned something regarding the sound quality between Series and PS5 as well as any impacts to gameplay with Dualsense.
Sound quality? What are you on about?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Just please no frame pacing issues. I beg you.
Not in the year of our lord 2021.

It's already confirmed to have that. From Software are clearly not capable of sorting that out, or they just don't care. They should really dump their engine, there's no way they're gonna be able to get it to a proper next-gen level with their next game after this. But that would require redoing a lot of the work they've so far been reusing for every game since DeS, of course.

Exactly my thoughts as well. At this point, trying to choose a console based on how good one plays multiplats vs the other is a lost cause. There's no argument to be made that shows one console is better than the other overall.

Which really makes these comparisons that get whittled down to the tiniest details completely pointless most of the time. Sure, there's something to be said if something like the load times are significantly faster, or if the framerate is choppy to the point where VRR saves the day. But 99% of the time, it comes down to something like "This or that console is the only place to play this game because it has a 2-3 higher framerate, or slightly higher dynamic resolution" is absurd.

Top Bottom