• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Metal Gear Solid 4 Revisited at 4K 60FPS! Today's Emulation, Tomorrow's Remaster?

Bullet Club

A polarising game on PlayStation 3 - and a title that never escaped the limitations of the hardware - until the arrival of accurate PS3 emulation. John Linneman revisits the original Metal Gear Solid 4, exploring its origins way back in 2005 through to the arrival of the final game, before seeing how the game looks today via emulation, running at 4K at (close to!) 60fps, courtesy of the remarkable RPCS3.

Note: RPCS3 requires a highly powerful PC to get these kind of results. John tested using a custom build of the emulator on a system using a Core i9 12900K with 64GB of DDR4 memory along with an Nvidia RTX 3090.

Several months back I was looking through storage and found my old copies of MGS4 and Dead or Alive 4. I was able to pop the latter into the SX and play it within 10 minutes. It would be great if I could do the same with the former on a PS4/5.

That being said if Konami didn’t suck, the least they could do is make a more complete MGS collection that includes original MGS and Twin Snakes, as well as 4 on modern platforms.

Always doing these tests with the most powerful hardware they have available.
They should always also use a more midrange rig.

Anyway, good times.
Makes me remember an Xbox 360 dedicated site that did a review of the game at launch just to shit on the PS3, saying that it should had been done to the Xbox because it was a "slide show" on the PS3.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
I powered through demon's souls with an FX 6300... This is pristine emulation in my eyes
I think the licensing for all the product placements Kojima wanted in the game are the main reason we haven't seen a remaster for the game yet.

Yep. Such a stupid move. The game feels like an ad for apple/sony and the PS3 in particular. Some of the dialog from otacon highlighting the tech on the PS3 is downright cringeworthy... specially when even in 2008 we knew the console was trash.

Droxcy

Might have to give it a shot also want to jump back into MGO these were some of the best times online.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Yep. Such a stupid move. The game feels like an ad for apple/sony and the PS3 in particular. Some of the dialog from otacon highlighting the tech on the PS3 is downright cringeworthy... specially when even in 2008 we knew the console was trash.

POWER OF THE CELL

AndrewRyan

Looks incredible. Makes me happy knowing all the PS3 games will be preserved in this way. Can't wait to replay MGS4 again with some control and texture mods.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Since I haven't had access to this game in so long, it has sort of cemented itself within a certain period of time, in my memory. I think playing it again is going to make me feel really nostalgic for that 2009/2010 era.

assurdum

Banned
I powered through demon's souls with an FX 6300... This is pristine emulation in my eyes

PS3 had many bottlenecks for sure but call the hardware trash is purely trolling.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
One last job Konami, before you are gone forever, put this on PS5/Series X to troll Sony.

edit: Dude should've used a more realistic PC configuration, closer to the hardware most people are likely to have.
I don't know man, emulating a game at native 4k sounds really expensive.

It seems really well optimized and looks like it has come a long way. Maybe it's time to revisit some PS3 classics.

It seems really well optimized and looks like it has come a long way. Maybe it's time to revisit some PS3 classics.
Why does it need to be native 4K?

1080p is more than fine for a PS3 game. 4K isn't going to magically improve the textures and details of the game.

Doesn't even need to be 60fps, whatever makes the game availiable without requiring a PS3.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Why does it need to be 4K?

1080p is more than fine for a PS3 game. 4K isn't going to magically improve the textures and details of the game.
Yeah but the video shows it at 4K, that's why I mentioned that.

And yeah it might not look much, much better, but the increase in resolution is still a noticeable improvement imo.

Honestly if it were me I'd play it at 1440p, that res is my sweet spot for performance/graphical fidelity.

SCB3

Why does it need to be native 4K?

Doesn't even need to be 60fps, whatever makes the game availiable without requiring a PS3.

They were just pushing it to that limit that’s all

SSfox

Some of the games i would insta replay when (IF) Sony will drop BC:

MGS games, GOW games, , Dragon Quest 8, some FF games, All PZ games, PZ games, Haunting Ground, and more. (The list is long, sure not gonna name everygame)

RAIDEN1

This game is up there with Virtua Fighter 3 to remain a console/system exclusive despite the shift in technologies over the years and machines capable of reproducing the original graphics with ease..

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

This game is up there with Virtua Fighter 3 to remain a console/system exclusive despite the shift in technologies over the years and machines capable of reproducing the original graphics with ease..
Yeah totally, it's the Bloodborne of the PS3.

ACESHIGH

Banned
I got the impression that the video was somewhat discouraging for people looking to try the emulator for the first time. Specially due to 3 things in particular.

- DF folks are extremely nitpicky (that's all right, its their job after all)
- The game ran on an absolute beast of a gaming rig
- They were aiming for a 60 FPS experience in a game that was far from hitting 30 in native HW

My experience with RPCS3 shows me that there is a whole batch of games that are perfectly playable even with low end PC HW. Games not available on PC which should be the main target of the emulator anyway :Odin Sphere, Dragon's Crown, PSN titles like Hard Corps uprising, Fighting games like VF5. Silent Hill Downpour. And the elephant in the room... Demons Souls.

GPU wise, any low end/mainstream GPU like a GTX 970 or RX 570 should be able to run 3D games at 1440p or even 4k. So even a 750ti should have no issues at 1080p. Some games may not scale well beyond native 720p resolution anyway. But to give you an idea my RX 580 is barely stressed when running Demons souls in 4k.
CPU wise i'd say that if you have something like an I7 2600k and up, go ahead and give the emulator a try. 30 FPS with significant drops is how most of the AAA 7th gen console games used to run, so keep that in mind when running the emulator.

Last edited:
I think the main reason we haven’t seen a remaster is because Konami lol 🤯😬😣

No, because all others received ports.
What MGS4 has of different from all others? Sony's money.

I got the impression that the video was somewhat discouraging for people looking to try the emulator for the first time. Specially due to 3 things in particular.

- DF folks are extremely nitpicky (that's all right, its their job after all)
- The game ran on an absolute beast of a gaming rig
- They were aiming for a 60 FPS experience in a game that was far from hitting 30 in native HW

My experience with RPCS3 shows me that there is a whole batch of games that are perfectly playable even with low end PC HW. Games not available on PC which should be the main target of the emulator anyway :Odin Sphere, Dragon's Crown, PSN titles like Hard Corps uprising, Fighting games like VF5. Silent Hill Downpour. And the elephant in the room... Demons Souls.

GPU wise, any low end/mainstream GPU like a GTX 970 or RX 570 should be able to run 3D games at 1440p or even 4k. So even a 750ti should have no issues at 1080p. Some games may not scale well beyond native 720p resolution anyway. But to give you an idea my RX 580 is barely stressed when running Demons souls in 4k.
CPU wise i'd say that if you have something like an I7 2600k and up, go ahead and give the emulator a try. 30 FPS with significant drops is how most of the AAA 7th gen console games used to run, so keep that in mind when running the emulator.

I disagree with John that PS3 emulation is not possible on PS5.
Yes, the CPU there could be a bit better (those botched FPUs probably hurt's a bit), but I already seen plenty of videos on youtube with people playing PS3 at acceptable speeds on Zen 2 APUs.
It's just a matter of Sony wanting it or not, they have all the documentation, knowledge and experienced people to solve all problems that these emulator developers have to guess to overcome.

Hoddi

Emulation is generally very easy on the GPU. I can't speak for MGS4 but most games from the PS360 era can easily run at 8k with modern graphics hardware. Running them at 4k usually only needs a GTX 1060 or so which is broadly equivalent to the Series S GPU.

Last edited:

DonF

I really need a remake or port of mgs4, it's the only metal gear I haven't played. I even had the discs at some point, didn't even have a PS3, just a x360 that gen. But my girlfriend's brother had one and I played a bit there, bet then the fucker lost the disc and I lost interest.

sachos

From the article on Eurogamer he says "And there are some titles that barely touched the SPUs, so they already run well - Demon's Souls is the poster child, and Ridge Racer 7 is another. But this is the fundamental challenge facing any official PS3 emulator from Sony, targeting PS5 - emulation of the Cell remains extremely challenging and certainly based on the RPCS3 right now, it's beyond the Zen2 CPU power of the current-gen consoles."

I get what he is saying but i think they should have tested a bunch of the games listed as "Playable" on the RPCS3 compatibility list. The PS5 CPU is around Ryzen 5 3600 right? That CPU is enough to play a big portion of that list im pretty sure. I don't ask for 100% compatibility for PS3 BC, but i think if they can reach 50% it would be a good start, its not like the Xbox Series reached full 100% BC with 360 and OG Xbox games.
They should really test the "Playable" games with PS5 like hardware, to really see if it would be as difficult as they claim, otherwise i think testing one of the HARDEST games to emulate paints only half the picture.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Nothing about it aged well really.

yeaah ... a lot of things didn't age well a week after the release lol.

the whole beauty and the beast crew, aka Kojima making supermodels wear skin tight leather outfits to mo-cap in his studios, the whole monkey/drebin deal, the fact that you have to sit for 5~10 minute long cut-scenes to be able to play 5 minutes of game play etc etc etc.

MGS4, in my humble opinion, is the worst of the mainline MGS games (incl. Peace Walker).

Last edited:
Still my favourite MGS. Its bat shit crazy, looked amazing for its day and even now..still looks good. I never had a problem with cutscene length because almost every second of that game is pure nerdgasm and badassery....minus the guy taking shits every chapter.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Nothing about it aged well really.

Nothing about any Kojima game ages well.

As games, They're all pretty much appalling, from an actual gameplay experience.

He should have just become a movie director like he obviously wanted to be, which would have given him the creative freedom to unleash his musings on the World, instead of inflicting his bizarre ramblings in a seemingly never ending, weird ass cut scenes.

ZywyPL

Banned
Man the look of this game did not age well .. at all.

Truth be told those textures were god-awful on the launch day already. If only there was some sort of mod support in RPCS3 someone would most likely create a HD Texture Pack that would make all the difference. As a matter of fact, many PS3 games only need better textures and 4K60 performance to be still very viable today.

Erebus

That reminds me, how does Motorstorm run via emulation? I think John briefly mentioned the series on a DF Weekly episode.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

The specs required on PC are massive, even counting the “console efficiency” factor how far are we from using PS5 like HW to achieve similar results? Remasters for some games and 1080p original framerate emulation may still be the only achievable target, but maybe I am wrong. Hopefully very much so.

While RSX is not as well documented, CELL is. Tons of PDF’s are available and there are cycle accurate simulators available too, so not only the few systems that still have OtherOS available.

Last edited:
Top Bottom