• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Metal Gear Solid 4 Revisited at 4K 60FPS! Today's Emulation, Tomorrow's Remaster?

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
That reminds me, how does Motorstorm run via emulation? I think John briefly mentioned the series on a DF Weekly episode.

Motorstorm has pretty severe glitches, but Pacific Rim & Apocalypse run pretty much flawlessly these days.

My 9900K (@5Ghz) isn't quite up to to maintaining 60fps, with the patch, can get drops down to the high 40's when more than two or three opponents are visible.

When locked to the games original 30fps, my 3080 can run the game at 5120x2880 without issue...looks really nice.

Esppiral

They should have used my patch to remove that dreadful piss filter, behind it there is a gorgeous colourful game....

Esppiral

I got the impression that the video was somewhat discouraging for people looking to try the emulator for the first time. Specially due to 3 things in particular.

- DF folks are extremely nitpicky (that's all right, its their job after all)
- The game ran on an absolute beast of a gaming rig
- They were aiming for a 60 FPS experience in a game that was far from hitting 30 in native HW

My experience with RPCS3 shows me that there is a whole batch of games that are perfectly playable even with low end PC HW. Games not available on PC which should be the main target of the emulator anyway :Odin Sphere, Dragon's Crown, PSN titles like Hard Corps uprising, Fighting games like VF5. Silent Hill Downpour. And the elephant in the room... Demons Souls.

GPU wise, any low end/mainstream GPU like a GTX 970 or RX 570 should be able to run 3D games at 1440p or even 4k. So even a 750ti should have no issues at 1080p. Some games may not scale well beyond native 720p resolution anyway. But to give you an idea my RX 580 is barely stressed when running Demons souls in 4k.
CPU wise i'd say that if you have something like an I7 2600k and up, go ahead and give the emulator a try. 30 FPS with significant drops is how most of the AAA 7th gen console games used to run, so keep that in mind when running the emulator.
You are very true, I can play many games at 60 fps 1440p on a i3 4690 and an r9 380X just fine. But if I never tried the emulator, watching this video I wouldn't even install it....

sachos

I got the impression that the video was somewhat discouraging for people looking to try the emulator for the first time. Specially due to 3 things in particular.

- DF folks are extremely nitpicky (that's all right, its their job after all)
- The game ran on an absolute beast of a gaming rig
- They were aiming for a 60 FPS experience in a game that was far from hitting 30 in native HW

My experience with RPCS3 shows me that there is a whole batch of games that are perfectly playable even with low end PC HW. Games not available on PC which should be the main target of the emulator anyway :Odin Sphere, Dragon's Crown, PSN titles like Hard Corps uprising, Fighting games like VF5. Silent Hill Downpour. And the elephant in the room... Demons Souls.

GPU wise, any low end/mainstream GPU like a GTX 970 or RX 570 should be able to run 3D games at 1440p or even 4k. So even a 750ti should have no issues at 1080p. Some games may not scale well beyond native 720p resolution anyway. But to give you an idea my RX 580 is barely stressed when running Demons souls in 4k.
CPU wise i'd say that if you have something like an I7 2600k and up, go ahead and give the emulator a try. 30 FPS with significant drops is how most of the AAA 7th gen console games used to run, so keep that in mind when running the emulator.
Yeah i agree. It kinda makes it look like it would be impossible for the PS5 to emulate ANY PS3 game. I pointed it out to him on twitter and he replied to me. I suggested they should make a video testing a bunch of games listed as "Playable" on the compatibility list with PS5 like hardware, he said "We actually did try this using the equivalent PS5 CPU and SPU heavy games were like 2 fps, if I recall." Honestly, it kinda looks like he dodged the question, only talking about SPU heavy games. I wish they have made a video about it when they tested those games, showing what game works and what games does not and what exactly are those SPU heavy games (i guess every game past a certain year?).

Last edited:
oof .. fuck.. yeah maybe I need to rethink my stance on native PS3 emulation being possible on PS5.

I said that Sony engineers could do a better job and make it work on weaker CPUs but... I remembered that one of the problems preventing fast emulation is access to memory, the way the caches worked.
One reason why Intel CPUs where faster some years ago on these emulators was not just because they were fast enough, more than the AMD equivalents, it was because of "tricks" that Intel was using in it's architectures to improve speed. Then Meltdown and Spectre happened... those tricks and some memory related instructions like TSX had to be abandoned. Yes, one of Intel's secret sauces was fuck up security, that's why there where so many regressions in performance. AMD CPUs never used these "cheats" so it's not even possible to disable mitigation on a secure environment like a game console. Only way to compensate for this seems to be using packing instructions on AVX-512 like Alderlake does.

Shmunter

Common Jimbo, get that conservation team crunching.

Don’t agree with John about PS5 cpu being too weak to run ps3 BC to this level. Optimisation combined with some high level emulation tricks, not to mention offloading tasks to GPU etc can be achieved in a closed system.

solidus12

MGS4 was my first ps3 game; I still remember listening to Caling to the Night on Snake’s iPod.

Also: when Otacon says: Snake had a hard life…

😢😭😭

Esppiral

Yeah i agree. It kinda makes it look like it would be impossible for the PS5 to emulate ANY PS3 game. I pointed it out to him on twitter and he replied to me. I suggested they should make a video testing a bunch of games listed as "Playable" on the compatibility list with PS5 like hardware, he said "We actually did try this using the equivalent PS5 CPU and SPU heavy games were like 2 fps, if I recall." Honestly, it kinda looks like he dodged the question, only talking about SPU heavy games. I wish they have made a video about it when they tested those games, showing what game works and what games does not and what exactly are those SPU heavy games (i guess every game past a certain year?).

As much as I respect their work, that response is well, not very accurate, many PS3 titles run at 60 fps 1440p even when the originals were 30 fps on a meagre i3 4690 paired with an r9 380x... Source: me.

I also get between 20-40 fps in MGS4 with that exact setup... Most of the time in the lower 20's

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Metal Gear Solid 4 E3 2007 Demo vs Retail PS3 Graphics Comparison Ultrawide

Timestamps
Demo Gameplay 00:00
Side-by-Side 00:11
Demo Gameplay 00:16
Side-by-Side 00:31
Demo Gameplay 02:07
Side-by-Side 05:12
Retail Gameplay 07:55

Strider311

Wow... I just got this up and running at 60fps in ultra-wide 3440x1440. What a GLORIOUS way to revisit this game! God, I love Metal Gear.
uJVsjsV.jpg
oGhFIm5.jpg

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
Is MGS4 the biggest game that’s still stuck on old hardware? I can’t think of another game of that caliber that isn’t officially playable on newer platforms or PC, or never got a remake or remaster of some kind. Even Bloodborne can at least be played on PS5.

Killer8

Is MGS4 the biggest game that’s still stuck on old hardware? I can’t think of another game of that caliber that isn’t officially playable on newer platforms or PC, or never got a remake or remaster of some kind. Even Bloodborne can at least be played on PS5.

I'm betting Konami will announce a remaster this year, along with an HD Collection port to everything. They are doing this with all of their franchises and Metal Gear is arguably their biggest.

Strider311

What specs?

Are you using a custom version of the emulator?
Just using the nightly build with the 21:9 patch/hack checked, then set the display to stretch. Running on a Ryzen 9 5900, 32 gigs ram, and an RTX 3080. If I’m honest I get frame dips when there is pure chaos going on, but still acceptable performance. I can provide the specific emulator settings when I get off work if you'd like.

Last edited:

Hugare

Just using the nightly build with the 21:9 patch/hack checked, then set the display to stretch. Running on a Ryzen 9 5900, 32 gigs ram, and an RTX 3080. If I’m honest I get frame dips when there is pure chaos going on, but still acceptable performance.
Hmm, I got a laptop with a 5600H + 3060

I was wondering if I'll be able to play it at 30 FPS. But I didnt find any videos of the game running on a 5600H.

And fot this game CPU power is key

Strider311

Hmm, I got a laptop with a 5600H + 3060

I was wondering if I'll be able to play it at 30 FPS. But I didnt find any videos of the game running on a 5600H.

And fot this game CPU power is key
I would give it a shot. You may be able to pull it off, but will probably have to keep the resolution at about 1080p I’d guess.

Roufianos

I'm betting Konami will announce a remaster this year, along with an HD Collection port to everything. They are doing this with all of their franchises and Metal Gear is arguably their biggest.
I'm sure we'll get 1 to 3 this year but I can see them being super lazy and not bothering with 4.

RaduN

I'm sure we'll get 1 to 3 this year but I can see them being super lazy and not bothering with 4.
The 2 and 3 HD releases are lazy enough as it is. Tons of missing effects, no foreground depth buffer, particles and blur severly downgraded. Fuck them.

Ps2 emulation is atm the best way to play them (and that's still not 100% accurate either).

I can only image the shitfest a 4 remaster would be...

YCoCg

The 2 and 3 HD releases are lazy enough as it is. Tons of missing effects, no foreground depth buffer, particles and blur severly downgraded. Fuck them.

Ps2 emulation is atm the best way to play them (and that's still not 100% accurate either).

I can only image the shitfest a 4 remaster would be...
I remember the remaster being praised when it was released, can we get more details on this?

Top Bottom