• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: The Last of Us Part 1 PS5 vs The Last of Us Remastered PS4 Pro - Improvements Detailed!

angrod14

Jesus, I forgot how incredibly aggressive Joel's personality was in the first game. The guy was ready to go over his own brother. He softened so much in Part II...

...and it costed him his life.

Last edited:

Moses85

A whole week before payday lol.
Why I had the stupid idea to pay mortgage overhead :p
Episode 8 Abc GIF by The Bachelor

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I wonder if DF will get TLOU remake early so they can do an analysis before release.

Everyone and their mother has a review code, so I would be shocked if DF doesn't have an exclusive developer interview with ND similar to their coverage of the Matrix demo, Ratchet, and Demon Souls.

Along those lines, it is extremely weird that gameplay hasn't leaked from anyone; ND issued codes to a large number of people including relatively unknown streamers. How in the world has nothing gameplay related leaked? No way in hell there isn't at least one person out there willing to break the NDA. Really strange.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Some weird corner cutting in this remake though when it comes to environmental detail

qn5o2sfch3i91.jpg

ub5p3vwch3i91.jpg
Nah, some of the windows are dirty AF from never being cleaned. It's a design choice, since initially you see one broken out pane and still see the trees through the opaque transparency. 720p isn't going to show small details so well.

I bet in 4K at full detail, it will look fantastic and make sense for the lighting tone of the scene.
uq6NOvK.png

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Nah, some of the windows are dirty AF from never being cleaned. It's a design choice, since initially you see one broken out pane and still see the trees through the opaque transparency. 720p isn't going to show small details so well.

I bet in 4K at full detail, it will look fantastic and make sense for the lighting tone of the scene.
uq6NOvK.png
Naw, later in the cutscene at the point of the screenshot you can see it's not a broken out pane and it's as opaque as all the other windows.

So maybe it was a choice to hide the outside(for artistic reasons) and they forgot about that pane at that point in time or it was to save time making PS5 worthy environments outside the window.

Digital Foundry will most likely be pretty positive on this, as it looks fine toothed gone over and polished in ways that most of the audience won’t even appreciate. When you start breaking down a lot of the technical details the game will probably look really favorably compared to the original.

They will most likely say that it is on par with 2, which is the target for ND. They want part 1 and 2 to be a seamless experience

Digital Foundry will most likely be pretty positive on this, as it looks fine toothed gone over and polished in ways that most of the audience won’t even appreciate. When you start breaking down a lot of the technical details the game will probably look really favorably compared to the original.

They will most likely say that it is on par with 2, which is the target for ND. They want part 1 and 2 to be a seamless experience
Absolutely but that's not what most were expecting. PS5 only gave hope of a true next gen upgrade and I think that's why people have mixed feelings towards it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Absolutely but that's not what most were expecting. PS5 only gave hope of a true next gen upgrade and I think that's why people have mixed feelings towards it.
Eh, a lot of us were expecting artistic continuity with Part 2, visually. Some of the facial animations look even more improved.

ChiefDada

Gold Member

As of now, in terms of animation quality I would give the nod to TLOU2; it seems like data capture from the old mocap wasn't enough to bring quality quite on par with TLOU2, still impressive considering the limitations and what it took to get there, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't expect for animation to be on par/better than TLOU2. Such a bummer because had they been able to reach that level, it would have been perfect imo.

In terms of everything else, I can't see how anyone could mistake these cinematics for TLOU2. The fidelity delta is slightly larger than the generational leap I expected between an end of generation PS4 title and an early current gen PS5 title from the same studio.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Naw, later in the cutscene at the point of the screenshot you can see it's not a broken out pane and it's as opaque as all the other windows.

So maybe it was a choice to hide the outside(for artistic reasons) and they forgot about that pane at that point in time or it was to save time making PS5 worthy environments outside the window.
You really love finding something to complain about, even though it makes absolutely no sense. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Valonquar

It looks betterish, but also still looks completely unnecessary. I can't see myself needing to play through this game a third time.

Ulysses 31

You really love finding something to complain about, even though it makes absolutely no sense. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Nothing wrong with pointing out an oddity in the cut-scene. No need to go into TLOU defence mode over it. :messenger_winking_tongue:

And personally I prefer the clearer view to the outside from the remaster.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Nothing wrong with pointing out an oddity in the cut-scene. No need to go into TLOU defence mode over it. :messenger_winking_tongue:

And personally I prefer the clearer view to the outside from the remaster.

You called it "corner cutting."

I just think it's funny that the usual suspects appear in any TLOU related thread just to post something negative about the game.

Ulysses 31

You called it "corner cutting."

I just think it's funny that the usual suspects appear in any TLOU related thread just to post something negative about the game.
Yes "if" it was done so save time on making a detailed enough outside environment.

If it was purely an artistic choice then I personally preferred the remaster's setting a little more.

1 you are wrong, we see it got a 10th of a sec that there is a broken pane at the top

2 you can still see details behind the extremely dirty window

3 I think that in a turn of event Joel will have sex with Bill when he finds out that he is gay!

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Last edited:
I think the person who leaked just really bad at take good screenshot. Look at Joel and Ellie screenshot lol.
This one looks much better compare to the rest.
9Safx3e.jpg

Btw i wish they spent more time with foliage. Was hoping sth like early Seattle first day.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

why would windows that haven't been clean for 25 years be clean as hell?
And as someone else mentioned, in other angles you clearly see some of those glasses aren't ad dirty and you can look outside.
It's like that in the remaster so why change it so much in the remake? 🤷‍♂️
1 you are wrong, we see it got a 10th of a sec that there is a broken pane at the top

2 you can still see details behind the extremely dirty window

3 I think that in a turn of event Joel will have sex with Bill when he finds out that he is gay!
Nop, check the screenshot of mine again, the pane is as opaque as all the windows around it when it should be much clearer if that glass wasn't there or is as clean as in DeepEnigma DeepEnigma 's screenshot.

It's just a small error of forgetting to make that specific glass as opaque the other windows at the start of the cut-scene.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
That's the problem with uncontrolled leaks. You don't control your narrative anymore.
The video Naughty Dog has shown us is also much better than most of these "leaks"

I know from personal experience that certain games visual quality don't translate well in photos; TLOU2 is one of them, God of War also comes to mind. But hat Ellie and Joel cinematic was enough to convince me any leak out there that might look off is just noise. Textures were so detailed to the point where I couldn't believe it was 720p video, without the added benefit of HDR, no less. Lighting and PBR dynamics were equally great, particularly on Joel's face and shirt as he approaches and peers through the window. Fantastic work all around. Playing at 4k40+ on the OLED is going to be something special.

Stooky

I know from personal experience that certain games visual quality don't translate well in photos; TLOU2 is one of them, God of War also comes to mind. But hat Ellie and Joel cinematic was enough to convince me any leak out there that might look off is just noise. Textures were so detailed to the point where I couldn't believe it was 720p video, without the added benefit of HDR, no less. Lighting and PBR dynamics were equally great, particularly on Joel's face and shirt as he approaches and peers through the window. Fantastic work all around. Playing at 4k40+ on the OLED is going to be something special.
This! I get some people dont like the $70 price. Some people are looking for any reason to hate this game. Its getting ridiculous now. ND is always going to bring the visual fidelity, don’t know why this is still an argument.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
I'm a sucker. I bought the game.

Yeah it's expensive for a remake but there's no more high profile exclusives till November for GOW Ragnarok and this game is one of my all-time favourites so to experience it again with a fresh coat of paint and 120fps will be worth the price for me.

Last edited:
It's like that in the remaster so why change it so much in the remake? 🤷‍♂️

Nop, check the screenshot of mine again, the pane is as opaque as all the windows around it when it should be much clearer if that glass wasn't there or is as clean as in DeepEnigma DeepEnigma 's screenshot.

It's just a small error of forgetting to make that specific glass as opaque the other windows at the start of the cut-scene.
The same window is shown in different angles (or on less compressed sources?) ... Whatever the case is, these windows are not completely opaque.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Yes "if" it was done so save time on making a detailed enough outside environment.

If it was purely an artistic choice then I personally preferred the remaster's setting a little more.
You can still see out of the window so what you're saying makes no sense. Not much time needs to be saved when they can just easily transfer a few objects in the background.

That's the problem with uncontrolled leaks. You don't control your narrative anymore.
The video Naughty Dog has shown us is also much better than most of these "leaks"
What is clearly better in the Remake from anything in Last of Us 2? In terms of environment and gameplay? I'm still not seeing it. Yes the cutscenes look like they could be better but nothing is jumping out as far as what we'll be actually playing ..

Top Bottom