• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: The Last of Us Part 1 PS5 vs The Last of Us Remastered PS4 Pro - Improvements Detailed!

Ulysses 31

You can still see out of the window so what you're saying makes no sense. Not much time needs to be saved when they can just easily transfer a few objects in the background.
qn5o2sfch3i91.jpg

Really? What can you see outside of those windows in this shot?

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Tbh, I'm not convinced that any of these cutscenes are from the review code. Tom's wording wasn't exactly clear on the source for the videos. He's the only source that has released videos so far to my knowledge and more importantly no other piece of gameplay has leaked. Sony has somehow managed to prevent leaking of gameplay despite the fact that so many people have the code; I don't even know how that's possible.

Matsuchezz

Now a fucking window is being nitpicked! The game is ruined because the window is dirty. And they prefer the remaster because In The remaster the window is cleaner and a tree can be seen. Hehehe these people will get crazier as the game release date draws nearer.

Last edited:
Now a fucking window is being nitpicked! The game is ruined because the window is dirty. And they prefer the remaster because In The remaster the window is cleaner and a tree can be seen. Hehehe these people will get crazier as the game release date draws nearer.
This was always going to happen, there is an army of people waiting to pounce on this game no matter what. It's crazy.

Nintendo can easily release a port for full price and nobody cares. ND releasing a remake? Heresy!

I love that people keep comparing a game running in real time with a pre-rendered cutscene... how many games being released recently would stack up against that same pre-rendered cutscene?

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Stating a preference is not hatin' on the remake, bro. Nowhere did I even hint at it being reason enough not to buy the remake. The remake will have imperfections, just like the remaster. The closer the release date, the more defensive people seem to get.

Matsuchezz

Stating a preference is not hatin' on the remake, bro. Nowhere did I even hint at it being reason enough not to buy the remake. The remake will have imperfections, just like the remaster. The closer the release date, the more defensive people seem to get.
I didn’t say that you are hating neither You said that it is not worth buying. You are so defensive. All games have imperfections, that I understand. But nitpicking stuff that is not important is kind of lame.
But I have learned not to engage in fruitless discussions. I am really just waiting for the game to be released and run like a child to my favorite gaming store to get it, get home and play the whole weekend.

Ulysses 31

I didn’t say that you are hating neither You said that it is not worth buying. You are so defensive. All games have imperfections, that I understand. But nitpicking stuff that is not important is kind of lame.
But I have learned not to engage in fruitless discussions. I am really just waiting for the game to be released and run like a child to my favorite gaming store to get it, get home and play the whole weekend.
Come on, don't be like that. No where did I say it wasn't worth buying because of this. I started out thinking the dirty window thing was a time saving measure but @DeepEngima suggested it could be an artistic choice which I also have to consider since I can't look into the minds of the devs.

Personally I don't think it's worth the full price since I already played the remaster but for someone who never has and doesn't care about the price the Remake seems the better choice.

Last edited:

Hugare

The fact that a crossgen open world game made by an inferior team shit all over a small story driven game supposedly made from the ground up on ps5 by the best sony studios is atrociously hilarious.

Windows looks ok tho.
This remake wasnt really developed by ND.

They took over the project because the other company making it was doing a shitty job. They are just trying to save it as best as they can.

That's why I dont expect a game that looks on par or better than TLOU Part II.

It will have very inconsistent graphical quality, I'm sure

100% certain it will lack ND level of polish

GymWolf

Gold Member

They took over the project because the other company making it was doing a shitty job. They are just trying to save it as best as they can.

It still cost premium and has ND mark on the cover, i know you say the truth, but at this point, i kinda give 2 fucks about their reasoning, it's their fault for saying that nd is working on the title to hype people and sell more copies and for saying that the game is made from the ground up on ps5.

This thing is made up on ps5 like cotton candy is made up from my dirty ass...

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The fact that a crossgen open world game made by an inferior team shit all over a small story driven game supposedly made from the ground up on ps5 by the best sony studios is atrociously hilarious.

Windows looks ok tho.
Thats because this is a cross gen game as well. They are just lying about it being developed from the ground up on PS5.

The bigger issue here is the accountability. Where is Digital Foundry calling out Sony's marketing? Where is NX Gamer? We shit on mainstream media because they never hold anyone accountable but its time to start putting DF and NX gamer in the same category. The way both covered the HFW debacle was extremely disappointing.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Thats because this is a cross gen game as well. They are just lying about it being developed from the ground up on PS5.

The bigger issue here is the accountability. Where is Digital Foundry calling out Sony's marketing? Where is NX Gamer? We shit on mainstream media because they never hold anyone accountable but its time to start putting DF and NX gamer in the same category. The way both covered the HFW debacle was extremely disappointing.
You are wrong, the game is made from the ground beef on ps5.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

You can't go in too hard on those who provide you early review code access... 👀

Last edited:

saintjules

It's the Spider-Man puddle of complaints.

SlimySnake

You are wrong, the game is made from the ground beef on ps5.
lol haha.

BTW, this is what built from the ground up on PS5 can do. Supposedly running on a PS5 at NATIVE 4k 30 fps on the unity engine.

lion_cub_tussle_720.gif

You can't go in too hard on those who provide you early review code access... 👀
You can and you would if you had balls and an ounce of integrity. Their bills are paid by us, the viewer on youtube, not the publisher. Gaming media I can understand since they relied on Publishers running ads on their sites, but youtubers get ad revenue from youtube ads. The worst thing that will happen is that they wont have day 0 content but they can still run day 1 content by buying the games themselves. PC youtubers do this all the time. They get banned by Nvidia, they create videos calling out Nvidia, Nvidia changes course after a swift backlash.

GymWolf

Gold Member
lol haha.

BTW, this is what built from the ground up on PS5 can do. Supposedly running on a PS5 at NATIVE 4k 30 fps on the unity engine.

lion_cub_tussle_720.gif

You can and you would if you had balls and an ounce of integrity. Their bills are paid by us, the viewer on youtube, not the publisher. Gaming media I can understand since they relied on Publishers running ads on their sites, but youtubers get ad revenue from youtube ads. The worst thing that will happen is that they wont have day 0 content but they can still run day 1 content by buying the games themselves. PC youtubers do this all the time. They get banned by Nvidia, they create videos calling out Nvidia, Nvidia changes course after a swift backlash.
Add an actual world with simulation, ia, more than 2 charas on screen and that 4k30 magically become 4k5 or less.

I

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Add an actual world with simulation, ia, more than 2 charas on screen and that 4k30 magically become 4k5 or less.

I
It's a cutscene. No different from the cutscenes we have seen in the remake with just 2-3 characters max.

As for simulation, the fur rendering is simulating nearly 28 million individual strands of hair here. This is what Ratchet shouldve looked like. RIP VFX Veteran.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
qn5o2sfch3i91.jpg

Really? What can you see outside of those windows in this shot?

Someone already posted the screenshot. You can see out of the window. There are objects in the background.

uq6NOvK.png

You have a hard time accepting the truth and you're just going to stay in denial.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It's a cutscene. No different from the cutscenes we have seen in the remake with just 2-3 characters max.

As for simulation, the fur rendering is simulating nearly 28 million individual strands of hair here. This is what Ratchet shouldve looked like. RIP VFX Veteran.
And it looks way, way better than the remake, it looks FULLY nextgen.

That fur simulation make my ps5 balls sweat already, i can't imagine a real game with that fur simulation applied to like 10 enemies on screen like we had with witcher 3 where that shitty simulation for enemies fur tanked any pc in existence...

Ulysses 31

Someone already posted the screenshot. You can see out of the window. There are objects in the background.

uq6NOvK.png

You have a hard time accepting the truth and you're just going to stay in denial.
You can see that pane is as opaque as the windows around it in my screenshot. What's so hard to accept that it's a small continuity mistake in the cut-scene?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You can see that pane is as opaque as the windows around it in my screenshot. What's so hard to accept that it's a small continuity mistake in the cut-scene?
You tried to tell people they did this because they wanted to cut corners.

The objects are in the background and you can see outside. Period. So that proves your claim wrong.

ChiefDada

Gold Member

What are your metrics here for this supposed "fact"?

Is it a mistake or simply work in progress if the game hasn't been released yet?

GymWolf

Gold Member
What are your metrics here for this supposed "fact"?

Is it a mistake or simply work in progress if the game hasn't been released yet?
The fact that i have working eyes and not a single sony share in my portfolio??

Tess model is the only thing that impressed me in this remake, and most probably because i know very well the actress so the realistic feeling is even stronger.

The game having generally better animations than horizon is not a new thing, fucking tlou1 on ps3 has better melee animations and gunplay than forbidden west, human combat is fucking dreadful in horizon...

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Could be that too. :messenger_ok:
You tried to tell people they did this because they wanted to cut corners.

The objects are in the background and you can see outside. Period. So that proves your claim wrong.
That was my initial impression yes but DeepEnigma suggested it also could've been an artistic choice which I also have to consider since I can't read the minds of the devs.

You can make out a small part of a tree but nothing else, hardly can be called being able to see what's outside. My claim stands.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
The fact that i have working eyes and not a single sony share in my portfolio??

Tess model is the only thing that impressed me in this remake, and most probably because i know very well the actress so the realistic feeling is even stronger.

The game having generally better animations than horizon is not a new thing, fucking tlou1 on ps3 has better melee animations and gunplay than forbidden west, human combat is fucking dreadful in horizon...

Interesting. Can you direct me to any real time cutscene from Horizon Forbidden West that has greater fidelity than the Joel/Ellie scene below?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Could be that too. :messenger_ok:

That was my initial impression yes but DeepEnigma suggested it also could've been an artistic choice which I also have to consider since I can't read the minds of the devs.

You can make out a small part of a tree but nothing else, hardly can be called being able to see what's outside. My claim stands.
If you can see objects in the background then there are no cut corners. You can even make out objects in the dusty window. It's clearly an artistic choice because the windows would not be clean 20 later.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Interesting. Can you direct me to any real time cutscene from Horizon Forbidden West that has greater fidelity than the Joel/Ellie scene below?

First of all, i was talking about gameplay pics, not cutscenes, but Tlou has better face animations and digital acting if that is what you were asking, horizon is a full fledged open world, it is silly to expect the same quality of a small story driven game made by (some) ND devs in terms of cinematics.

If you talk about characters fidelity, there is a topic here and even better on reee where you can admire the characters in horizon where less than tertiary characters with one line of dialogue could be main protagonist in 99% of games, and most of the pics are during gameplay, not cutscenes...

You really don't want a screenshot battle between horizon 2 and tlou remake, believe me.

One is considered the best or second best looking game on the market, the other one is considered by like half of a sony based forum barely better than tlou2 (that still look splendid, don't get me wrong)

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
First of all, i was talking about gameplay pics, not cutscenes, but Tlou has better face animations and digital acting is that is what you were asking, horizon is a full fledged open world, it is silly to expect the same quality of a small story driven game made by (some) ND devs.

But you said it, remember!?

Am I understanding you correctly? We're confining these comparisons between the two games to pictures now? That's the best metric to use? Real-time cutscenes that illustrate dynamism and accuracy of lighting and materials interplay doesn't make much sense here, huh?

awkward pulp fiction GIF

GymWolf

Gold Member
But you said it, remember!?

Am I understanding you correctly? We're confining these comparisons between the two games to pictures now? That's the best metric to use? Real-time cutscenes that illustrate dynamism and accuracy of lighting and materials interplay doesn't make much sense here, huh?

awkward pulp fiction GIF
I said that regarding the gameplay pics that the dude posted, why are you posting cinematics?

Maybe next time do a double check of what people is comparing before posting dishonest comparisons to make a point.

If you can't see how ridicolous is to have a full fledged open world crossgen game looking better in almost all the aspects compared to what is supposed to be a made from the ground up on ps5 small story driven game, i don't know what to tell you...

Did you even played horizon on a 4k screen?? Because you must have shit sight to think that those screenshot or ingame models looks better than horizon 2, even considering the wildly different type of location...

Sure you can find some locations in horizon that look wildly uneven in his gigantic world but you have to remember the secret words, open world and crossgen.

Ulysses 31

If you can see objects in the background then there are no cut corners. You can even make out objects in the dusty window. It's clearly an artistic choice because the windows would not be clean 20 later.
The corner cutting comes into play that you don't have to work with detailed assets since you won't be able to make out 95% of the details with windows that dirty or just that little pane being clear enough.

I'll be good faith and assume it's an artistic choice in this case but if we many more examples pop up where background details were blurred away then I'll start to be suspicious.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The corner cutting comes into play that you don't have to work with detailed assets since you won't be able to make out 95% of the details with windows that dirty or just that little pane being clear enough.

I'll be good faith and assume it's an artistic choice in this case but if we many more examples pop up where background details were blurred away then I'll start to be suspicious.
Corner cutting would mean there are no objects behind the window and they were trying to hide it.

That didn't happen here.

Ulysses 31

Corner cutting would mean there are no objects behind the window and they were trying to hide it.

That didn't happen here.
Working with lower detailed assets would fall under that too. But since we can't verify that yet(maybe with the PC version) I'll be good faith and assume it's an optimization and artistic choice rather than a corner cut.

You seem to want to hammer on the corner cutting when I've already said it might be something else too.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I said that regarding the gameplay pics that the dude posted, why are you posting cinematics?

I proposed cutscene comparisons because I stupidly thought they provided better insight on fidelity as you can see how all assets look and interact in motion. But again that was foolish thinking, my bad. Below is the Matrix Awakens demo built from the ground up on the next gen UE5 engine and running on a 3090ti. Is it, graphically speaking, better than HFW? Graphically worse? About the same? Keep in mind this is a tech demo not constrained by complexities of having to create a shippable game and also chiefly focused on showcasing the generational leap in visual fidelity they can deliver.

xzYPWCm.png

GymWolf

Gold Member
I proposed cutscene comparisons because I stupidly thought they provided better insight on fidelity as you can see how all assets look and interact in motion. But again that was foolish thinking, my bad. Below is the Matrix Awakens demo built from the ground up on the next gen UE5 engine and running on a 3090ti. Is it, graphically speaking, better than HFW? Graphically worse? About the same? Keep in mind this is a tech demo not constrained by complexities of having to create a shippable game and also chiefly focused on showcasing the generational leap in visual fidelity they can deliver.

xzYPWCm.png
I still have to play the damn thing on my ps5, so i have not much to say in regard, sorry.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Working with lower detailed assets would fall under that too. But since we can't verify that yet(maybe with the PC version) I'll be good faith and assume it's an optimization and artistic choice rather than a corner cut.

You seem to want to hammer on the corner cutting when I've already said it might be something else too.
Because you tried to stick to your original point even though people pointed out that it wasn't the case. You have a habit of doing this.

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Literally everything you said is false... Amazing.

(And yes, I've even categorized your opinion stated in the third line as false since it's based on surrounding falsehoods)

GymWolf

Gold Member
Btw just bought the game for 60 eurozzi, nobody is gonna say that i don't give a chance to almost anyone.

Ulysses 31

Because you tried to stick to your original point even though people pointed out that it wasn't the case. You have a habit of doing this.
Nop, I changed after DeepEnigma made his response, it being corner cutting to artistic choice with a small continuity error.

Those other people can't be sure what the case really is either unless they have a direct line to the devs.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Confused Excuse Me GIF by GIPHY News

But also,

excited hell yeah GIF
I always told people that i was about the buy the game anyway because i'm a sucker for realistic tps, great animations and general graphical prowess.

You have to understand that most of my trolling and brush attitude is meant to push sony to improve, i only want the best for and from them, they made my number 1 and 2 gotg from past gen, i don't really hate them dude, you can call it tough love, always remember that when you read my posts.

And it is the same for slimy.

Last edited:

Hugare

Literally everything you said is false... Amazing.

(And yes, I've even categorized your opinion stated in the third line as false since it's based on surrounding falsehoods)
You are the guy who were trying to prove that the game uses ray tracing

So I guess I'll ignore your opinion, if you dont mind

ChiefDada

Gold Member
You are the guy who were trying to prove that the game uses ray tracing

Correction: I tried to prove there is a possibility of ray traced reflections being used, and I stand by it. If it were some other run of the mill developer then I'd bet the farm, but since it's ND I can't discount the possibility of sophisticated trickery at play (though I am fairly certain it's not SSR or cubemaps) We'll all find out in 9 days.

Side note: DF is confirmed to release their tech review on August 31, same as everyone else. I wonder if any outlet has secured a developer tech overview with ND. I would imagine so.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

Windows looks ok tho.

Yeah they shouldn’t have marketed this as a ps5 game.

Those screenshots look nothing more impressive than tlou2

The character models in gameplay are really disappointing. Flat lighting, dead eyed look

Yeah they shouldn’t have marketed this as a ps5 game.

Those screenshots look nothing more impressive than tlou2

The character models in gameplay are really disappointing. Flat lighting, dead eyed look
It's clear to anyone not blinded by hype, "rebuilt for ps5", or having Naughty Dog devs talking up their own game.

It's right there to see for anyone who has played lou2. Maybe there's some improvement over lou2 in cutscene quality ...maybe

Ain't no ps5 Naughty Dog exclusive though ...it's a ps4 pro ND exclusive with faster load times and haptics

Top Bottom