• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 @ Blizzcon [Update: Information And Videos Added]

2zxrt6o.jpg

Guys, I get it. And it's a bit easy to start pointing at cow levels, wizards, etc. But one is a simple joke level and the other is explained by the fact that Sanctuary has magic. But how the fuck are you going to reload two crossbows and keep up the rate of fire she displays.

It's different, and you know it. At least have some cool animation or a kind of reload mechanism that explains how she does it.

Draft

Fallout-NL said:
2zxrt6o.jpg

Guys, I get it. And it's a bit easy to start pointing at cow levels, wizards, etc. But one is a simple joke level and the other is explained by the fact that Sanctuary has magic. But how the fuck are you going to reload two crossbows and keep up the rate of fire she displays.

It's different, and you know it. At least have some cool animation or a kind of reload mechanism that explains how she does it.
No, it's not. You're a crazy person. In a game filled with demons, magic, town portals and cow levels a crossbow with no distinct reload animation is what has you spazzing? How about, how did the amazon carry 1000 arrows at a time? Did that screw up your internal logic as well?

bdouble

Fallout-NL said:

This. Well maybe except fact of the rate of fire (not really probably with even one xbow). The thing is we know how crossbows work.

Sad thing about this argument though is that its only the cinematic and in the game we probably have options to what she will be using.

Draft

Fallout-NL said:
Give me a break Draft, you can't compare relatively well known compromises in realism with something like this.
:lol Yes, you absolutely can. In fact, for years, games didn't bother with reloading at all. Reloading didn't become a thing until Quake made FPS the dominant genre.

The Demon Hunter xbow holds a ton of bolts and she reloads during special attack animations. The amazon has been trained from a young age to carefully stack arrows in her quiver so that it can hold literally hundreds at once. All belts in Sanctuary are imbued with a touch of fairy dust that allows them to store 20 large glass vials. Part of adventurer school is learning how to carry 3 full iron breastplates while fighting monsters so that they can be identified later. Magic items are useless until a crazy old man tells you exactly what it is they do. The list goes on and on.

Crazy person.

Draft said:
:lol Yes, you absolutely can. In fact, for years, games didn't bother with reloading at all. Reloading didn't become a thing until Quake made FPS the dominant genre.

The Demon Hunter xbow holds a ton of bolts and she reloads during special attack animations. The amazon has been trained from a young age to carefully stack arrows in her quiver so that it can hold literally hundreds at once. All belts in Sanctuary are imbued with a touch of fairy dust that allows them to store 20 large glass vials. Part of adventurer school is learning how to carry 3 full iron breastplates while fighting monsters so that they can be identified later. Magic items are useless until a crazy old man tells you exactly what it is they do. The list goes on and on.

Crazy person.

There's no need to insult my intelligence, I'm not a crazy person.

I understand what you're saying. I just feel there's a difference because this considers a primary gameplay element, not secondary like the examples you've given.

You know, I once emailed Gabe Newell about the pistols in L4D1, when there was one bullet left in both guns, one gun should have the slide knocked back, but it didn't. Valve replied, said I had a sharp eye and it's corrected in L4D2. Now, when there's one bullet left, one of the pistols will have its slide all the way back, indicating the pistol's empty. I love shit like that. The fact that you have infinite bullets is of less importance to me.

Rezbit

....Yeah I'm with Draft on this one. What about in D2 when you could magically pull extra javelins out your ass to throw. It is no different.

soqquatto

magic crossbow. spawning quarrels. done.

it's a fucking videogame with people that can heal a broken leg drinking something. the internal underlying logic is that in a videogame it does not need to make sense. where the fuck is the warrior going to store eight two-handed sword? sticking all of them up in his ass would be an impairment in combat. so I've heard, at least.

The L4D story, although true, was just there to fuck with you guys.

I'm not actually crazy.

Anyway, enough about crossbows, I'm not playing that character anyway.

KAL2006

Banned
There could be an expansion with more classes for D3. In an interview Jay said Demon Hunter is officially the last class for the core game.

If that is the case then I want a Knight/Warrior/Sword&Shield character, but not a paladin, instead of the holy powers (which the Monk now has) give the class something else.

As for another class, make the Druid return as there are no other classes like him, I would say Necromancer, but the Witch Doctor is too similar to the Necromancer.

Raide

Who really cares about the little details? All I know is that all of the people that buy Diablo 3 will be mashing the left mouse button like a man/woman possessed. (Pun intended!)

Give me monsters, bosses, item drops, crafting crazy stuff, bishibosh, Deckard Cain, Blizzard in-jokes and clicking things to death. All of the other little details will fade into the background of epic loot and monster gibs. :D

cwmartin

Welp, time to bust out the Diablo II discs and start all over online again. Holy fuck i love these games. Diablo single handedly got me into gaming at all.

Raide

cwmartin said:
Welp, time to bust out the Diablo II discs and start all over online again. Holy fuck i love these games. Diablo single handedly got me into gaming at all.

"Ahhh Fresh Meat!"

Teknoman

I'm sure the hunter will have a choice of weapon types aside from dual crossbows.

Really liking how every class has a male and female equivalent.

Barbarian then, Barbarian now, Barbarian later, Barbarian forever! And monk looks sick nasty too...I've always been about the melee; both power and speed.

Instro

Teknoman said:
I'm sure the hunter will have a choice of weapon types aside from dual crossbows.

Really liking how every class has a male and female equivalent.

I think they mentioned normal bows as well for her weapons.

Teknoman

cwmartin said:

You should register your games on Battle.net. That way you can just download the installers where ever you are.

Takuan

Raide said:
"Ahhh Fresh Meat!"
That terrified me the first time. I remember running the hell away when he came charging at me. :lol

Diablo was friggin' brutal, the imagery in Butcher's "cutting room" was extremely graphic. Same with hell. I liked the Succubuses, however.

Raide

Takuan said:
That terrified me the first time. I remember running the hell away when he came charging at me. :lol

Diablo was friggin' brutal, the imagery in Butcher's "cutting room" was extremely graphic.

:lol

Same. Killed me in 1 hit. Leveled up, came back and whooped his ass. :D

Jetku

Regardless of how she reloads, the Demon Hunter was severely underpowered in the demo.

Wizard absolutely owned with Lightning or Acid Hydras.

The DH did not start with and could not use Runes in her spells (it seems that it wasn't coded to work yet, as the spells had the slots, but the runes could not be placed).

Ebola shot was fine, and multishot was ok, but I would imagine both will be MUCH better with Rune enhancements.

Although, on the other hand, the monk couldn't use runes either, and he destroyed everything. Use the lightning-ball-fist move, and every once in a while use the healing-nova...he dominated.

I am sure this is not an indication of how she will be in the final game though.

Takuan

I was just checking out Blizzard's class page and am surprised that no one has cried racism at the witch doctor being African.

Takuan said:
I was just checking out Blizzard's class page and am surprised that no one has cried racism at the witch doctor being African.
Well from what little I know us a witch doctor is an integral part of many tribal African religions. But I'm no scholar.

Takuan said:
I guess all the soccer moms are busy watching Dr. Oz right now.

By the way what is thus list going around and how do I get on it?! I really need to play some Diablo 3!

In the meantime though I'll play 2.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
As a kid playing through diablo 1 was quite the peculiar gaming experience :

Entering the church and "starting" the game, I was surprised at how good I was at the. I mean here I was at level 1 of the game and 5 seconds later I found the stairs to level 2 , BOOYAH! Kept doing this until I reached The Butcher ( mind you without killing a single enemy ) and of course the dude oneshotted me.

Eliciel

No matter what they do I am only interested in Barbarian, Paladin and Wizard ... I seldomly played Necromancer in D2. It was always Paladin, Barbarian and Wizard I think I don't even really like Amazon even if I played her.

DieH@rd

Banned
AllIsOneIsNone said:
Barbarian then, Barbarian now, Barbarian later, Barbarian forever! And monk looks sick nasty too...I've always been about the melee; both power and speed.
Agreed brother! Barbarian to the death!

kilongs

RustyNails said:
BARBARIAN SMASH #3.

There's nothing better than going to your enemies and smashing them inside the earth with your giant weapon. Nothing.

I dont know...corpse tossing looks pretty awesome.

undu

I always get casters before melee characters, so it's witch doctor or sorcerer for me, I want to try the monk too, though :p

dude

dude
The monk could be interesting, but he sounds kind of similar to the Assassin, which was my main build in D2, so to spice things up I'll probably go as either Demon Hunter or Wizard.

V_Arnold

Instro said:
Obviously, she uses magic to pull the strings back.

By the way I so love how people are choose to ignore that it IS possible to simply do that. (not the dual wield bow, but the dual wield crossbow reloading, ofc)
To do the talking Wheel of Time style, that kind of magic would be a hard to learn but easy to do, with a lot of easy threads woven with air, and repeating until they can do it without even thinking about it. It COULD be totally possible. Just sayin'

John_B

At any point of development has there been any word on magic find? I hope they get rid of that horrible stat. How they will reward players with better drop rate is interesting though. Whatever direction they choose it can only be better than magic find.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
V_Arnold said:
By the way I so love how people are choose to ignore that it IS possible to simply do that. (not the dual wield bow, but the dual wield crossbow reloading, ofc)
To do the talking Wheel of Time style, that kind of magic would be a hard to learn but easy to do, with a lot of easy threads woven with air, and repeating until they can do it without even thinking about it. It COULD be totally possible. Just sayin'

She could also have invisible ghost arms, coming out of her nostrils, reload the bows for her. It COULD be totally possible.

Instro

V_Arnold said:

Yeah, considering she appears to have some magic powers anyway I dont know why people even care unless the are OCD. Hell they could be magic arrows, that just materialize in the crossbow. Of all the silly things to complain about this it is pretty dumb.

John_B said:
At any point of development has there been any word on magic find? I hope they get rid of that horrible stat. How they will reward players with better drop rate is interesting though. Whatever direction they choose it can only be better than magic find.

Whats wrong with magic find? Actually Id like them to expand on the stat, and add gear that could have Rune find, or gem find, etc. That way it makes it easier to go after exactly what you want.

Nymerio

John_B said:

Interesting. I think magic find could be an intriguing stat if handled correctly. If there were a trade-off between magic find and the other stats it would be cool. From when i played Diablo II I remember that on my magic find sorc that there was no noticable trade off. I mean sure, you'd do more damage wearing "real" gear, but burning down mephisto was never a problem. But if you'd do considerably less damage, or take a severe hit in survivabilty in exchange for better chance of finding stuff, I think this would make the game harder for those that want it while rewarding them for doing things the hard way.

That's one thing I always wondered if it would work in World of Warcraft. If they introduced a stat like magic find to wow that would put a servere penalty on your dps, healing and survivabilty while giving you some benefit in terms of loot, like more drops, or slightly better stats, it could force some interesting choices.

Won

Instro said:
Whats wrong with magic find? Actually Id like them to expand on the stat, and add gear that could have Rune find, or gem find, etc. That way it makes it easier to go after exactly what you want.

It's a stat that favored some character classes (much) more than others.

Magic Find is currently in the game and will probably stay. How it will be balanced in the end is something not even Blizzard probably knows at the moment.

valeo

I think that MF will always favour caster classes because they can simply kill groups of enemies quicker.

One of the reasons I will go Wiz first..

I think that Monk will be overpowered at first though so it's tempting to pick him instead.

John_B

It seems pretty broken when everyone was pretty much spending a shit load of time building, leveling and gearing a character they did not want to play, but did because it was the really the only way to obtain gear for your other characters. It was like some sort of investment system.

The whole point is greater challenge for greater reward, but weakening your own character is kinda like taking a wheel of your car in Gran Turismo; it makes it more difficult, but it's not very enjoyable. A better challenge could be making the other drivers perform better instead.

They should make a version of WoW's Heroic instances. Instead of weakening your character for loot, the monsters you fight are buffed and their loot drop rate increased.

Fallout-NL said:
The L4D story, although true, was just there to fuck with you guys.

I'm not actually crazy.

Anyway, enough about crossbows, I'm not playing that character anyway.

Damn Gabe replied and fixed it. Valve is great...I just hate FPS.

Top Bottom