• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 @ Blizzcon [Update: Information And Videos Added]

V_Arnold

pieatorium said:
Not sure why people are worried about the seven skill limit, in d2 you had at best 4-5 useful castable abilities. Shit even in WoW you would be lucky to use 7 abilities in an encounter and some of those would be cooldowns.

Well, that is not true, as a DK, I easily use 10-15 abilities / fight, including CD-s. Without CD, still 10-12.

Edit: Not saying 7 skill limit is bad. Blizzard designs the game around this, so it will not be a problem at all. It is quite obvious, after seeing Rune System at Blizzcon.

V_Arnold said:
Well, that is not true, as a DK, I easily use 10-15 abilities / fight, including CD-s. Without CD, still 10-12.

Edit: Not saying 7 skill limit is bad. Blizzard designs the game around this, so it will not be a problem at all. It is quite obvious, after seeing Rune System at Blizzcon.
I was actually going to disclaimer non paladin healers, elemental shamans and DKs as I'm a DK aswell but in general most classes just dont use a great variety of different spells utside of pvp.

TheExodu5

Banned
pieatorium said:
Not sure why people are worried about the seven skill limit, in d2 you had at best 4-5 useful castable abilities. Shit even in WoW you would be lucky to use 7 abilities in an encounter and some of those would be cooldowns.

Not that I disagree with the 7 skill limit in D2 (I think it's a great idea), but on my WoW Combat Rogue, I use:

Revealing Strike
Sinister Strike
Eviscerate
Rupture
Slice n' Dice
Killing Spree
Blade Flurry
Adrenaline Rush
Fan of Knives
Sprint
Engineering Nitro Boots
Stealth
Vanish
Evade
Cloak of Shadows
Engineering Haste Gloves
Kick
Kidney Shot
Blind
Dismantle

(though the last 3 are mostly situational, I still need to use them)

I have a ton of binds:
1-5
Shift 1-5
Ctrl 1-5
Q E R T F G
Shift Q E R T F G
Ctrl Q E R T F G

dude

dude
charlequin said:
Well, One-Point-Wonders really helped make some builds interesting, with only 7 skills this would go down. You basically will only have 7 base skill you'll use over and over again... I can see it turning some builds very very boring.
I've usually defended most of Blizzard's choices when it comes to D3 (and I think people complaining about the graphics are just whining, the game looks great) - but this I can see seriously hurting the game.

pieatorium said:
That really depends on your build... Some Necro builds are using a lot of curses, and my martial arts assassin is constantly switching between three charge up skills, two finishers and three other skills (all active), which passes the 7 skill count.

NO U!

but seriously I dont think it will be that big of a deal, 7 seems like a kinda arbitrary number but I'm sure there wont be any useless skills with a reasonably low number like this and using what you have to its full effect will produce some terrible terrible damage :)

I can already see using the Demon Hunters chain shot thing in combo with that ground spinning blades and grenades as a big aoe combo

dude

dude
pieatorium said:
NO U!

but seriously I dont think it will be that big of a deal, 7 seems like a kinda arbitrary number but I'm sure there wont be any useless skills with a reasonably low number like this and using what you have to its full effect will produce some terrible terrible damage :)

I can already see using the Demon Hunters chain shot thing in combo with that ground spinning blades and grenades as a big aoe combo
Yeah, but it can hurt variety (not in builds, but in gameplay) and using the same skills over and over again, which is bound to happen with a 7 skill limit, can be rather boring...
I still giving them the benefit of the doubt, and I will have to listen to some hands-on closer to launch, but I think it's rather reasonable to be worried about this. It just sounds a little over-simplified (plus it remind me of Pokemon.)

dude said:
Yeah, but it can hurt variety (not in builds, but in gameplay) and using the same skills over and over again, which is bound to happen with a 7 skill limit, can be rather boring...
I still giving them the benefit of the doubt, and I will have to listen to some hands-on closer to launch, but I think it's rather reasonable to be worried about this. It just sounds a little over-simplified (plus it remind me of Pokemon.)
Maybe I'm Just exited as my last D2 character was a glacial spike/firewall sorc, I guess I used
frozen armour, manasheild, static field and teleport rank 1's aswell but not a whole lot :lol

Won

dude said:

That's why there is the rune system. It takes the 7 skills and turns it into 7x6 skills. And that are more skills than a single class in Diablo 2 had in total I think.
We will see how it turns out in the end, but it seem a rather odd thing to be worried about after this Blizzcon.

bdouble

dude said:
Well, One-Point-Wonders really helped make some builds interesting, with only 7 skills this would go down. You basically will only have 7 base skill you'll use over and over again... I can see it turning some builds very very boring.
I've usually defended most of Blizzard's choices when it comes to D3 (and I think people complaining about the graphics are just whining, the game looks great) - but this I can see seriously hurting the game.

That really depends on your build... Some Necro builds are using a lot of curses, and my martial arts assassin is constantly switching between three charge up skills, two finishers and three other skills (all active), which passes the 7 skill count.
If you look at the skills screen and they have explained that each skill has many levels. Each one making bigger changes. The whole point is they are taking out the unnecessary skill points and adding actual useful stuff.

KePoW

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Not that I disagree with the 7 skill limit in D2 (I think it's a great idea), but on my WoW Combat Rogue, I use:

Revealing Strike
Sinister Strike
Eviscerate
Rupture
Slice n' Dice
Killing Spree
Blade Flurry
Adrenaline Rush
Fan of Knives
Sprint
Engineering Nitro Boots
Stealth
Vanish
Evade
Cloak of Shadows
Engineering Haste Gloves
Kick
Kidney Shot
Blind
Dismantle

(though the last 3 are mostly situational, I still need to use them)

I have a ton of binds:
1-5
Shift 1-5
Ctrl 1-5
Q E R T F G
Shift Q E R T F G
Ctrl Q E R T F G

Do you think that's a good thing for your Rogue example? I certainly don't.

So I definitely welcome making games be more accessible in their gameplay. Having to use that many hotkeys is just plain silly.

dude

dude
Won said:
That's why there is the rune system. It takes the 7 skills and turns it into 7x6 skills. And that are more skills than a single class in Diablo 2 had in total I think.
We will see how it turns out in the end, but it seem a rather odd thing to be worried about after this Blizzcon.
But you will still use 7 skills, you just have a larger number of skills to choose from...
I'm not saying it couldn't or wouldn't work, I'm just not sure how much I like this, and I'm rather worried it'll over-simplify things. We'll see how it works out.

KAL2006

Banned
everyone keeps forgetting the skills system has been split in two, before Skills were passive and aggressive, now the skill system has been split in two. We have Skills, for all the aggressive skills, and we have Traits for all the passive skills, so to make it fair one should really compare by combining all the traits and skills. Lets not forget all the customization you get from the runes.

TheExodu5

Banned
KePoW said:
Do you think that's a good thing for your Rogue example? I certainly don't.

So I definitely welcome making games be more accessible in their gameplay. Having to use that many hotkeys is just plain silly.

No I don't think it's a good thing at all. I was mainly showing how ridiculous it is to have so many skills you need to use.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
So I apologize if this has been asked before but what are the chances that if my macbook can run Starcraft 2 without a hiccup on the highest settings, that it will have no problem with Diablo 3?

Raide

siddx said:
So I apologize if this has been asked before but what are the chances that if my macbook can run Starcraft 2 without a hiccup on the highest settings, that it will have no problem with Diablo 3?

Blizzard are not known for pushing PC's to their limits, so I think you should be ok for D3. Well, if it ships in the next few years that is. :lol

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Raide said:
Blizzard are not known for pushing PC's to their limits, so I think you should be ok for D3. Well, if it ships in the next few years that is. :lol

:lol I was thinking the same thing. I had to buy a macbook pro for grad school and I purposefully got the most powerful one available with D3 in mind...and then I realized the damn thing might not come out for another few years and it wouldn't matter anyways haha.

So I just read some summaries from the Q &A sessions and I noticed that they haven't even begun building endgame (they want to see what the beta testers do before going in a specific direction). If that's the case, I don't think Diablo 3 is going to drop in 2011...

Jerk

Banned
Gully State said:
So I just read some summaries from the Q &A sessions and I noticed that they haven't even begun building endgame (they want to see what the beta testers do before going in a specific direction). If that's the case, I don't think Diablo 3 is going to drop this year.

Who in their right minds was even entertaining this idea?

NeoUltima said:
My guess is July 2012.

That means zero Blizzard games in 2011 and three (D3, SC2 Hots, WoW exp #4) Blizzard games in 2012. They probably don't want that to happen.

I'll remain optimistic for the time being :p

KePoW

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
No I don't think it's a good thing at all. I was mainly showing how ridiculous it is to have so many skills you need to use.

Ok gotcha, then I agree with you 100%.

John_B

dude said:
It seems like Diablo 3 will be more simple in approach, but with much better customization.

You don't put points in to several shields, shouts and bolts. The Wizard has one bolt (just an example) to skill up. You can then customize your bolt to 1 of 7 bolts (frost, fire, lightning, acid, etc.) with skill runes. So you can customize any build you like. Your build will just be very specific compared to the possible builds in Diablo 2.

The great thing about this system is that if you want to go from fire to frost; you don't need to respec and make a new build, you just move a few runes around. Great for quickly being able to configure your skills to a specific encounter, or your buffs to favor the party configuration.

Game was great. I loved throwing a cloud of locusts, sicking some fire-runed puppies and launching spitballs at groups of baddies and watching them melt. :D

Shanadeus

Banned
Lol
2168460165c11967oh2y542176971.jpg

They announced the fifth and final class for D3, the dual-crossbow wielding Demon Hunter. It's a cool idea for a rogue-ish type ranged class, but... dual crossbows?

I guess it could have been worse. I've actually obtained a piece of never-before-seen Blizzard concept art showcasing a previous iteration of this class. I present to you the dual-longbow Demon Hunter:
demhunter.jpg

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
yeah... i figure, why not actually give her some old-school pistols instead.

or a quiver, some arrows and a bow.

or go the ninja route with thrown projectiles.

dual crossbows is dumb

Scrow said:
yeah... i figure, why not actually give her some old-school pistols instead.

or a quiver, some arrows and a bow.

or go the ninja route with thrown projectiles.

dual crossbows is dumb
yeah it is kinda stupid but there is plenty of other magical mubojumbo that you can say a wizard did it :p.

would have definately been a better idea with the xbow + demon hand for shadow magicing or xbow + dagger imo.

Nocebo

zoukka said:
Holy shit people complain about lack of logic in a Diablo game :lol
Perhaps they think this is "Tom Clancy's Diablo III" or "Sid Myer's Diablo III" and even then... more likely they are high / drunk.

Purkake4

Banned
They should have gone all pirate style with the Demon Hunter having a whole bunch of loaded crossbows on her person at all times :lol

bdouble

zoukka said:
Holy shit people complain about lack of logic in a Diablo game :lol
Its not even logic. Everything else seems believable in the universe but Dual Crossbows is just silly. It would be cooler and at the same time make a bit more sense to either have one crossbow or pistols.

I guess who knows maybe there are pistols and big crossbows. Would be pretty boring if all the loot was just dual xbows.

Top Bottom