• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 4 Leak?

Jooxed

Gold Member
Sorry I do not know how to add the fancy rumor tags.. take with the grain of salt, but the guy has a good post history on reddit

Hey there you arrogant nephalems! My servants...

Whatever, I got some news about Diablo 4 for you all and I think you will like it despite what's been recently happening... If you don't want - don't believe me, especially since I can't provide any sources for this... My "history" could convince you but eh - I won't force anyone!

Diablo 4 is actually going to look dark, gritty and gross - no more rainbow shiny bullshit this time! Loactions are toned down, infrequently laid with corpses, wasteland, greyish deserts, clut caves surrounded by flesh, rotten crypts, marshes and bogs, plagued cities you name it. They are also seemingly much bigger, maybe even open? Characters now are able to ride horses (possibly other mounts), also there's contextual interaction with environment ? - climbing a wall Lost Ark style. Blood splatters look more like blood and not splashed jam too.

So far i can confirm 3 classes: mage (uses fire, ice and lightning so far), barbarian (swords, clubs, axes, kicks etc), and druid (lightning, wind, and transforming into beasts - so far bear and werewolf!).

Possibly there will be PvP from the start?. 4 player coop is there for sure.

All this game seems to be is a W I N K to the Diablo 2 fans, Lilith being the new diablo (she's covered in blood veil kinda), characters being shown sitting at a campfire as character selection, nitty gritty dark style that 2 was praised for, some skills also seem to be just taken from it and put in here (like sorceress' charged bolt). I'm interested and hope they don't fuck this up. The company is bad, but the game might not be this time.

2 points with "?" are just because it's not clear to me tbh... let's see what they say at the conference

no date yet too.. sorry.. If any questions I will answer later

Source : Reddit

I love D3 far more than D2, but I'm glad Blizzard aims to bring together the two fanbases. There are plenty of areas in D3 that are properly dark and foggy on the peripherals of the player's vision, so I do not understand the criticism of everything being "rainbows".

Hopefully they keep the combat from D3 and improve upon it. "Combat" in Diablo 2 is inferior in every conceivable way.

Hudo

So there are two conflicting rumours now? Because the first rumour states that it'll be some sort of third-person style hack and slash game akin to a "looter-shooter". And this rumour points at Diablo 4 being an evolution of the formula, i.e. isometric, loot-focused hack and slash game like the previous Diablo games.

Rainbows and shiny? I don't recall any of that in Diablo 3? (maybe I am just not remembering?)

Secret cow level :)

6AK6ENl.jpg

LOLCats

Banned
Yeah, that was pretty dumb. Some loser on the dev team probably thought it was hii~~larious, but it's kind of emblematic of how poorly Blizzard understands their own franchise at this point.

what? Lol just what? " that was pretty dumb" did you play D3 for 5 minutes?

Jooxed

Gold Member
So there are two conflicting rumours now? Because the first rumour states that it'll be some sort of third-person style hack and slash game akin to a "looter-shooter". And this rumour points at Diablo 4 being an evolution of the formula, i.e. isometric, loot-focused hack and slash game like the previous Diablo games.

I think the other rumor was always a full of shit 4chan thing, but that's just my opinion

This guys reddit history carries weight anyway well found out real soon

MiguelItUp

It would be really cool to see a darker and grittier Diablo sequel, but honestly at this point it's hard to believe if that will ever happen. Blizzard's engines have all been so bright and pastel-y for several projects know.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised! Not a long wait before we know for sure.

Kacho

ZhugeEX is such a fraud. All his leaks are "I've heard that too." :messenger_grinning_squinting:

The leaker said the gameplay is similar to Diablo 3, only darker and with better animations. I'm mostly ok with this since the gameplay in Diablo 3 was sublime.

Diablo 3 has some serious issues though. One of them being how unsatisfying the leveling experience was, which felt like pointless busy work until you reached the real game at level 70. There's also the issue with itemization and just how boring loot was in general. Really curious to see how they address that in Diablo 4.

The elephant in the room with be their monetization strategy and how "MMO" they end up going. Like, the mount stuff sounds super concerning because it makes the game sound open world. Definitely don't want that in an ARPG, but I need more details before completely writing it off.

Tomorrow can't come soon enough.

Last edited:

eot

Banned
Give it a proper multi player system. It's embarrassing how D2's online is better at making you play with other people than D3.

Also, spontaneous PvP please (will never happen)

dilbag

have the itemization and skill tree style of d2, but the fast pace action of d3. Also please find a way to bring Cain back.

Nydius

Takes what people loved about D2 style, improves on D3 combat.

If true, it will be interesting to see how this is received. When I venture into any "Diablo 4" threads on reddit or the official Diablo forums, there's always people complaining about D3's combat and gear system and wishing for a return to D2. Not just the dark ambiance but also the gameplay, gear, and character skill sets. If they just make D4 darker but keep the D3 style gear and character progression, there's going to be a bunch of angry people.

Personally, I almost expect this will be the case because D3 was a cash cow that brought a lot of people into the franchise. Blizzard certainly won't want to alienate them so I suspect a lot of the gameplay designs of D3 are going to carry into D4.

You monster.
D3 wasn't that bad, but as a Diablo game it wasn't good.
I think it's the best Diablo game in the series and I've been playing from the start. I even made a thread about it.

D3 vanilla was flawed in many ways that (thankfully) no longer apply. I could understand the outrage at the beginning even though I personally enjoyed my time, but now? Most complaints have been directly addressed over the years. My only lingering problem is the WoW-like storytelling. I think that part still falls flat.

jaysius

Banned
Diablo 3 made the game more brainless than it needed to be, making a magic type attack your primary on the left mouse instead of the bog standard attack, making mana or whatever resource your character used flow like water was a bad idea. There was no real punishment for carelessly spamming attacks that used the mana, for me D2 was mana management, character building and sometimes having to use your crappy standard attack. Also when you made a choice with a character build it was locked in, which made it more meaningful.

Diablo 3 lost other aspects too that D2 had, probably all to make it easier to port over for the consoles. Diablo 3 practically plays itself on many "difficulty" levels.

That and the auction house really made loot distribution suspect when it was on the go.

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
I think it's the best Diablo game in the series and I've been playing from the start. I even made a thread about it.

D3 vanilla was flawed in many ways that (thankfully) no longer apply. I could understand the outrage at the beginning even though I personally enjoyed my time, but now? Most complaints have been directly addressed over the years. My only lingering problem is the WoW-like storytelling. I think that part still falls flat.

Random thread derail....have you ever played Torchlight II? I have been thinking about grabbing it on my switch thoughts on it if you have in comparison to diablo 3?

levyjl1988

Banned
So is the horror going to be campy horror similar to Resident Evil 6 or gritty dark horror like Resident Eil 2 Remake? Regardless it would be ridiculous to take seriously if you have superhuman abilities that was in Diablo 3.

It would take a lot to make it go from campy Call of Duty Black Ops 4 ridiculous run on walls to serious and gritty Modern Warfare.

Or going from Suicide Squad bad to Joker movie perfection.

jaysius

Banned
Random thread derail....have you ever played Torchlight II? I have been thinking about grabbing it on my switch thoughts on it if you have in comparison to diablo 3?

If Diablo 3 plays itself, Torchlight 2 is close to having an "autopilot" button 0 challenge, but somehow more fun.

The best difficulty comparison for D2 to D3(and torchlight 2) is D2 is like playing Threes(old mobile game, required a little bit of thinking) and D3 is like playing 2048(game was almost impossible to lose, wasn't hard by any means required no thinking).

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Oh look pedo twitter is at it again.

GUYS GUYS I HERD IT TOO
Fuck that tool xD

SpiceRacz

Mentioned this before on here, but the game has been mostly finished for a while now. What he's saying lines up with what I've heard.

Last edited:

Yumi

Dammit. If there is Necro like D2 at launch I might bite. One of my least favorite companies in the industry right now, but I cant help be a little excited to see what this looks like.

Terce

I just hope they step back from class armor sets and play around more with legendaries. So many skills went completely unused in D3 and could have been worthwhile if they just added more legendary variety and synergy

TacosNSalsa

Secret cow level :)

6AK6ENl.jpg
There are actually 2 levels that look like that Whimsydale and whimsyshire . 1 you can only reach ny killing a rainbow goblin ,which are extremely rare. The other you got there through a staff you could craft using items that you only appear in very specific tiles , you had to save/quit and hope it popped up.It was mostly unicorns and teddy bears there but I think cows cold spawn there to .

The cow level was accessed by using the bovine axe{?} in Kani's cube to open the portal . Great place to level up

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I can tell I'm getting old; people praise diablo 3 and skyrim as being the best in series :/

It's not that you're getting old mate, it's that those are the first games in their respective series that people played. Can you imagine most 20 year olds who played D3 at age 13 realistically going back to D2 now for the first time? A select few maybe, but not most.

vpance

How well did D3 sell? Played at launch a few weeks but never came back. D4 going back to gritty has me interested.

Dada55000

Stop smoking pizza. It makes you dramatic af. It's just a fucking easter egg.
It was literally an insult aimed at people complaining about the artstyle being turned into a shitty edgelord WoW-like. "hurdur, you think that's too colorful, TAKE THIS BABIES"

A lot of lead people making D3 were WoW rejects up their own asses. Hence the famous "fuck that guy" quip by the lead in regards to D2's designer. They were really butthurt at people not liking the wowification.

Both the base game and expansion sold tremendously well
Expansion didn't (or atleast not good enough for them). It sold less than half the base game on launch in the same time period. It's why they cancelled the second expansion.

Last edited:

Loke

Am I the only one who played through Diablo 3 once and then never came back to it?
In comparison I can't even remember how many times I've played through Diablo 2. All those Baal runs. :messenger_sunglasses:

D3 was horrible if you bought it day 1. The auction house ruined the game. They didnt fix it until the expansion came out, which they make you buy if you want the fixed version of the final product.

Although it's unlikely auction house will return, knowing Blizzard they'll definitely roll out some form of microtransactions.

Kacho

Expansion didn't (or atleast not good enough for them). It sold less than half the base game on launch in the same time period. It's why they cancelled the second expansion.

Incorrect. The expansion sales exceeded their expectations and continued to sell well aftewards.

Activision forced Blizzard to cancel the second expansion because the game was viewed as a failure and they had no good way to monetize it after the RMAH died.

The Tag on top of the title box is how you do it.

We don't see a lot of FP RPG/Hack and Slash games so I don't understand what the big deal is. At least it's like the original Diablo games.

Last edited:

Dada55000

Incorrect. The expansion sales exceeded their expectations and continued to sell well aftewards.

Activision forced Blizzard to cancel the second expansion because the game was viewed as a failure and they had no good way to monetize it after the RMAH died.
I hope you spot the contradiction.

Top Bottom