• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 4 Leak?

Kacho

I hope you spot the contradiction.

Not a contradiction. The expansion did sell extremely well. The game was still viewed as a failure internally and the decision was made to scrap the expansion and begin work on a new title.

This has all been well documented.

Dada55000

Not a contradiction. The expansion did sell extremely well. The game was still viewed as a failure internally and the decision was made to scrap the expansion and begin work on a new title.

This has all been well documented.
So you're saying that the second expansion was cancelled because the first one was such a success. What are you even trying to argue here?
"They didn't cancel it because it was a failure, they cancelled because they thought it failed."

manfestival

How well did D3 sell? Played at launch a few weeks but never came back. D4 going back to gritty has me interested.
Technically it is among the best selling games this generation. I was watching inside gaming a couple days ago or yesterday when they pointed out that it was something like the 15th best selling game this gen? Which is huge. Overwatch didn't make the list FYI

Kacho

So you're saying that the second expansion was cancelled because the first one was such a success. What are you even trying to argue here?
"They didn't cancel it because it was a failure, they cancelled because they thought it failed."

I’m just stating facts here.

The expansion sold extremely well.

Diablo 3 as a whole was viewed as a failure internally because of the negative PR, fan backlash and lack of monetization opportunities. Thus Activision made the decision to scrap future expansions and begin work on a new game.

It’s not that complicated.

Dada55000

I’m just stating facts here.

The expansion sold extremely well.

Diablo 3 as a whole was viewed as a failure internally because of the negative PR, fan backlash and lack of monetization opportunities. Thus Activision made the decision to scrap future expansions and begin work on a new game.

It’s not that complicated.
so it's splitting hairs over nothing, thanks, so me saying they canned the 2nd expansion because the first one didn't to well enough was accurate

Kacho

so it's splitting hairs over nothing, thanks, so me saying they canned the 2nd expansion because the first one didn't to well enough was accurate

So defensive 😂

Look man, being purposely dense doesn’t make the tales from you ass accurate, but more power to you.

Flintty

Just for reference on how well D3 sold apparently its the 3rd best selling PC game of all time.
"Diablo III remains the fastest selling PC game to date, and also one of the best-selling PC video games "

It also sold very well on console as well....but my internet-fu is failing me on finding those numbers.

Do those PC sales include the free copy given to WoW players who signed up for a year of subscription during Cata? There were probably a fair few of us!

Regardless, D3 is one of my most payed Xbox and Switch games. The core gameplay (after the fix to loot and removal of AH on PC) is superb and I don’t get the complaints about it being all rainbow and shiny. Yes there was the rainbow portal but nobody was forced to do it. I frame my comments by admitting I didn’t play D1 or 2 but 3 brought the game to the masses.

I hope they don’t fuck up 4.

Dada55000

So defensive 😂

Look man, being purposely dense doesn’t make the tales from you ass accurate, but more power to you.
Guy, this is what I wrote:
Expansion didn't (or atleast not good enough for them). It sold less than half the base game on launch in the same time period. It's why they cancelled the second expansion.
You wrote mostly the same shit, I have literally no clue what your issue was or is.

Shouta

If they can improve on what they learned from D3 and implement more character based variations instead of basing it on equipment, that'd be pretty great. D3 in its current form is pretty fantastic but being so focused on drops is kinda limiting in the long term.

At least they're adding new class sets with the next season for a few classes.

Last edited:

Kacho

Guy, this is what I wrote:

You wrote mostly the same shit, I have literally no clue what your issue was or is.

My "issue" was you stating tales from your ass as fact and I only responded because you quoted me.

If you think we're saying the same thing then I can't help you. I'm moving on.

Dada55000

My "issue" was you stating tales from your ass as fact and I only responded because you quoted me.

If you think we're saying the same thing then I can't help you. I'm moving on.
Which part is a tale you dunce. The one about the expansion being cancelled? The part where it was considered a failure, which you then said it was considered a failure? Or it doing half of D3's launch on its own launch?

I said 3 things, 2 of them are facts (there was 2nd expac, RoS launch sales) , and the third one(cancellation due to underperformance) you said wasn't the case, but then said it pretty much was. Hence me saying you were splitting hairs.

Again, what are you on about?

Last edited:

Flintty

As a longtime fan of the franchise, what I want to know is how they plan to insert modern microtransaction driven design.

Because they will do - we all know it.

It worries me if this leak is correct in that there are only 3 classes. There’s one avenue of monetisation. The rest will likely be class set transmogs, mounts, banners and shit. I don’t mind the cosmetic stuff but holding classes back for monetisation is shite, especially when they’re likely already built.

Dane

ZhugeEX is such a fraud. All his leaks are "I've heard that too." :messenger_grinning_squinting:

The leaker said the gameplay is similar to Diablo 3, only darker and with better animations. I'm mostly ok with this since the gameplay in Diablo 3 was sublime.

Diablo 3 has some serious issues though. One of them being how unsatisfying the leveling experience was, which felt like pointless busy work until you reached the real game at level 70. There's also the issue with itemization and just how boring loot was in general. Really curious to see how they address that in Diablo 4.

The elephant in the room with be their monetization strategy and how "MMO" they end up going. Like, the mount stuff sounds super concerning because it makes the game sound open world. Definitely don't want that in an ARPG, but I need more details before completely writing it off.

Tomorrow can't come soon enough.

Rivalry apart, isn't ZhugeEX overall a very reliable source?

Bkdk

Sad it’s not Warcraft 4 since that will be the the only big budget RTS in recent memory. Diablo 4 though I’ll really have to wait and see, there are so many competitors and many more will come, they will have to put in a lot of effort to make it the best in genre.

Kacho

I can’t think of anything he’s leaked that was substantial. Hes Benji-sales tier and usually piggybacking off of stuff that others have leaked to reap the glory.

He was also banned here years ago for being a faux insider iirc.

Secret cow level :)

6AK6ENl.jpg

There is actually a cow level, though. Ironically enough, it is called Not The Cow Level.

dCyumfq.jpg

Whimsyshire/Dale
is a joke that the devs threw into the game to make fun of the people who said the game was too "cartoony"
One you can find a Rainbow Portrait inside and the other you can find a cosmetic item, Cosmic Wings.

JSoup

Banned
So it's Diablo with blackjack and hookers?
Sure, why not.

It's almost like clarifying a point makes it clearer and adds further context to history.

Gargus

Banned
As much as I like diablo I can't get excited for 4.

3 was just meh overall to me. It was like they took everything diablo, wrote a manual on how to make a diablo game then had someone make one following that manual. It just didnt feel like I was ever exploring anything, it had too many time wasting mechanics in it like all the base upgrades and finding recipes for things, the gem crafting aspect, and all these little things there that I just did the bare minimum of because I didnt need it and felt tacked on. And it felt like the whole game was just a race to the finish. It wasn't even challenging, ever. Sure you could play on higher difficulty but just giving monsters more hp and dmg isn't necessarily more fun. And the expansion where I finally get a necromancer I find was not fun to play and missing what used to make me favorite class less interesting.

Just overall it felt too by the numbers, too much fluff busy work, too much polish and perfection, too uninspired, too safe. It was the start of what blizzard has become, and that is very sanitary and clean with very little risk.

Blizzard is like Nintendo now. In the sense that they are very exact in what they do, take no risks, dont move outside a well proven formula, try to be very in offensive in their content, and very much stay tightly to their rule book. They both make good games of high quality, but neither do anything truly new, exciting, unique, or different. And both try very hard to give a very specific game experience that is accessible to everyone.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I can’t think of anything he’s leaked that was substantial. Hes Benji-sales tier and usually piggybacking off of stuff that others have leaked to reap the glory.

He was also banned here years ago for being a faux insider iirc.

And then he was made an admin on Era and tried to use that position to steal sources from people in order to be verified there. He also posts dumb jokes on his Twitter in a sad and unsuccessful attempt at being the new Kaz CEO joke account.

Inviusx

I'm down.

Just give me a simultaneous console launch with 4 player local co-op and I'll happily sink another 500 hours. D3 was fantastic.

I think it's the best Diablo game in the series and I've been playing from the start. I even made a thread about it.

D3 vanilla was flawed in many ways that (thankfully) no longer apply. I could understand the outrage at the beginning even though I personally enjoyed my time, but now? Most complaints have been directly addressed over the years. My only lingering problem is the WoW-like storytelling. I think that part still falls flat.
That's ok that you're wrong. You're probably just on mushrooms or drunk.
D3 was a fucking pathetic joke of a game.

Nydius

D3 was a fucking pathetic joke of a game.

Meh, I think that's a bit harsh.

I don't necessarily think anything was wrong with DunDun's write up and there's some pretty good points there. D3 does have some decent amount of potential depth to it, the problem is that it never lives up to that potential. It simply rewards people for finding the most OP AOE and Crit builds that can do the highest amount of damage as fast as possible. As such, a lot of skills for each class just get ignored. After ROS, I didn't mind D3 for what it was, so long as I pretended to forget it was trying to be an ARPG. As a mindless action game, I still enjoy the hell out of it. But the mindlessness is the problem. If I want an ARPG that requires thought or skill, I look elsewhere.

These days I play it exclusively on Switch as it fits the mindless, lay on the couch and slay some demons gameplay. I haven't touched it on PC since the Necromancer release.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It worries me if this leak is correct in that there are only 3 classes. There’s one avenue of monetisation. The rest will likely be class set transmogs, mounts, banners and shit. I don’t mind the cosmetic stuff but holding classes back for monetisation is shite, especially when they’re likely already built.

Not only that. If they sell cosmetics you can be sure free gear will look middling and shite to upsell you into the cosmetics.

I really fucking hate cosmetics mtx. We're no longer allowed to look cool in-game without paying extra ftml.

Hotspurr

Banned
I enjoyed Diablo 3 despite the bad launch. They later fixed the game and made it a lot more fun. I sank many hours in and even replayed in co-op.

I'd most likely get Diablo 4. There aren't too many good games like that. I played Grim Dawn and Van Helsing and they are mostly forgettable. Torchlight 2 was the only other one I found good in recent memory, but D3 is better overall.

If they build Diablo around mtx or auction house again that will suck. Also the difficulty should be better done for the first run. I'm replaying dungeon seige 3 right now and as a game it's much better than D3 because the challenge feels great. There is also strategy involved and it's not just min maxing and optimizing DPS. I'd take an Obsidian dungeon siege 4 over D4 any day.

Also Blizzard execs can go f* themselves for bending over to China.

Helios

There are plenty of areas in D3 that are properly dark and foggy on the peripherals of the player's vision, so I do not understand the criticism of everything being "rainbows".
The artstyle itself is very cartoonish than the original 2 diablo. While I don't dislike it, it looks more like WoW/Torchlight than a proper Diablo.
Which is just another reason why people call PoE the true successor to Diablo.

Flintty

Not only that. If they sell cosmetics you can be sure free gear will look middling and shite to upsell you into the cosmetics.

I really fucking hate cosmetics mtx. We're no longer allowed to look cool in-game without paying extra ftml.

Good point, actually.

woigemok

Banned

ZhugeEX is a hardcore sony fanboy, he even made a thread here before to ridicule XB1 opening sales in Taiwan or something. Now he acts like a saint like he was never committed any retarded comment about other consoles.

He's a fraud and always got the numbers wrong in a very simple calculation ROFL.

amigastar

Does anybody know at what time today the Blizzcon starts?
Edit: nvm its 11 am PDT.

Last edited:

Flintty

I don't think I have ever said this before, but I will probably wait for the console version unless there is controller support on PC. The console version of D3 was the superior experience.

Absolutely. I actually installed my free PC version again last night to see what it’s like now I have a gaming PC. Uninstalled after a few minutes. Control scheme and inventory management are trash in comparison.

Blizzard's artstyle has pretty much always been on point, so it's not the art style or "grittiness" that I want to see.

I wanna see that sweet, sweet gameplay. Hopefully gamepad support from the start. Destructable environments and/or element-based environmental interactions would be sweet (ice freezes water, fire collapses wood and clears impassible trees, etc)

Lanrutcon

Blizzard's artstyle has pretty much always been on point, so it's not the art style or "grittiness" that I want to see.

I wanna see that sweet, sweet gameplay. Hopefully gamepad support from the start. Destructable environments and/or element-based environmental interactions would be sweet (ice freezes water, fire collapses wood and clears impassible trees, etc)

While we don't see eye to eye on D3 vs D2, I will totally agree that gamepad support is a must.

Belmonte

I find the moment to moment gameplay of Diablo 3 much better than Diablo 2. More abilities to use, more enemy variation and more feedback. Playing with my ex and my friends in couch coop was a blast.

Unfortunatelly they made building the character, which is the bread and butter of Diablo game, a lot more simpler.

If they build on this, adding some light brawler mechanics, to make positioning/enemy control more important and upgrade the RPG part we will have the ultimate Diablo game.

If they do add pad support I hope it's not at the expense of gameplay and build variety. I hated how builds relying on targeted AOE abilities were such a pain in the ass to play on console compared to PC.

I find the moment to moment gameplay of Diablo 3 much better than Diablo 2. More abilities to use, more enemy variation and more feedback. Playing with my ex and my friends in couch coop was a blast.

Unfortunatelly they made building the character, which is the bread and butter of Diablo game, a lot more simpler.

If they build on this, adding some light brawler mechanics, to make positioning/enemy control more important and upgrade the RPG part we will have the ultimate Diablo game.
Simpler how? I am not necessarily disagreeing nor do I think "simpler" is bad, but I don't think that's the case.

I think the nostalgia goggles have made people think "long, grueling grind to get minuscule increases to my end-game build" is the same thing as "complex character building". Players in D2 were forced to pick worthless skills just for the synergies with their main ability, and by endgame you were packing as many "provides x effect while in inventory" charms while grinding on endgame bosses over and over. The goal was to use your single-click uberpower to wreck everything, perhaps with some casting and buffs on the side. 99 Level cap meant that all end-game building was loot grind, since you had no further means to improve native stats.

Diablo 3 forces players to use far more procs and "x for 10 seconds" or "y does 15,000 more damage when..." abilities to push into higher tiers, and this requires timing and twitchy skills.

Lanrutcon

Simpler how? I am not necessarily disagreeing nor do I think "simpler" is bad, but I don't think that's the case.

I think the nostalgia goggles have made people think "long, grueling grind to get minuscule increases to my end-game build" is the same thing as "complex character building". Players in D2 were forced to pick worthless skills just for the synergies with their main ability, and by endgame you were packing as many "provides x effect while in inventory" charms while grinding on endgame bosses over and over. The goal was to use your single-click uberpower to wreck everything, perhaps with some casting and buffs on the side. 99 Level cap meant that all end-game building was loot grind, since you had no further means to improve native stats.

Diablo 3 forces players to use far more procs and "x for 10 seconds" or "y does 15,000 more damage when..." abilities to push into higher tiers, and this requires timing and twitchy skills.

As opposed to...getting my 172th throw-away seasonal character to max level in 2 hours so I can run the same rifts with one hand for weeks while chasing a sliver of a chance that my Fisher-Price set of the month and Icey-veins approved legendaries drop with the right stats for my "build" so I can unlock whatever stupid character frame and/or pet the unpaid intern created as this season's carrot?

I can't believe you tried to insinuate that D3's endgame isn't just a loot grind centered around running the exact same activity over and over using a single uberpower to kill everything. That's the game. That's the entire freaking game.

As opposed to...getting my 172th throw-away seasonal character to max level in 2 hours so I can run the same rifts with one hand for weeks while chasing a sliver of a chance that my Fisher-Price set of the month and Icey-veins approved legendaries drop with the right stats for my "build" so I can unlock whatever stupid character frame and/or pet the unpaid intern created as this season's carrot?

I can't believe you tried to insinuate that D3's endgame isn't just a loot grind centered around running the exact same activity over and over using a single uberpower to kill everything. That's the game. That's the entire freaking game.
The difference is that you could also just... make a fun build that can also run rifts. 🤷‍♀️

Diablo 2 offered no such alternative. But hey, at least you can accept that the loot grind shouldn't be the focus of the game. I agree with you there. Since the loot grind is present in all three Diablo titles, I will lean toward the game that has the best mechanics apart from the loot grind, and that game is D3.

Top Bottom