• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

profit

For that particular spoiler though, I don't think most players would be able to find it out for themselves.

But why ruin the experience for people who want to be able to find it out for themselves?
Again, I personally dont care for spoilers, but I get why other people do.

I need some WD advice. I'm currently stuck on Act 2 in Hell on the 5th mission where you need to go through the sewers and find some place in an oasis(sorry I can't be more specific, at work atm on break so no access to D3). I've been trying to finish it as a group and it seems like every group I end up in people are babies and leave after a death or two on the first elite mobs. It is becoming increasingly disheartening and I don't want to have a friend rush me through it on his 60 as I'd rather not beat it like that.

I guess what I really need is advice on gear and spells as a witch doctor. I currently have about 25k hp and only 3500 dps. I know my dps is probably a bit low but I have significant weapon upgrade waiting for me in one level that should increase it pretty dramatically.

This is what I'm currently using as far as skills go. Does this look alright? Anything I should switch out? Are there multiple viable builds for Hell as a WD?
I find the Gargantuan mostly useless on Hell Act 2. Buff up the Templar's Vitality and bring him around with you, he tanks well enough. Zombie Handler is a terrible passive since you aren't even using dogs so switch it out for Spirit Vessel which basically forces you into Spirit Walk instead of killing you on any otherwise killing blow (once every 1 1/2 minutes) and reduces the cooldown of your two most important survival skills.

Here's my build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#heUdfZ!bVW!aZZZcc

Zombie Bears really lay the smack down and Haunt is amazing single target DPS (seriously, everyone complains about those bugs in Act 2 but I just one shot them all from an entire screen away). Grasp of the Dead will increase your kiting potential exponentially and with the Rain of Corpses rune it's great for decimating groups... especially since you cast-it and forget it. The corpses rain far outside the actual GotD spell effect. My strategy is to group up enemies, run in, Soul Harvest, Spirit Walk, then let off a few Bears. Assuming Spirit Walk/Soul Harvest is down standing back with Firebombs and keeping GotD up kills most enemies quickly. Then, like I said, a single Haunt kills practically EVERYTHING short of Champions/Uniques/Bosses in 5-7 seconds with one cast.

As for your stats... your DPS is low. I have 6k damage in Hell Act 2 and I consider that relatively low so I would work on increasing your Intelligence.

Mr_eX

As a Demon Hunter should I just be focusing on dps or should I care about my vitality? Once I level up one more time(40) I have a bow that will give me over 600 more damage but I will also drop 900 health because of the vitality bonus on my current bow.

LordCanti

If I see: Extra Health, Invulnerable Minions, Extra Fast, or Teleporting, I usually just run away. It's not worth it. The same goes for damage reflecting and mortar.

The only exception is if it's an incredibly slow mob I can kite.

As a Demon Hunter should I just be focusing on dps or should I care about my vitality? Once I level up one more time(40) I have a bow that will give me over 600 more damage but I will also drop 900 health because of the vitality bonus on my current bow.

Vita is nice in Normal/Nightmare. Stuff hits so hard in Inferno that I'm not bothering though. In Inferno, it's not even worth the effort; DMG all the way.

If you have Elemental Arrow with the Lightning Ball rune, that's what you should be using. It's OP as hell in Normal/Nightmare.

When will the Auction house be back working. My Gear smells.

Anyways, cleared Hell last night. Hit 60 right before the end and gave Inferno a try. First elite mob had me kiting him for about 10 minutes. =[

It's up in NA.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
When will the Auction house be back working. My Gear smells.

Anyways, cleared Hell last night. Hit 60 right before the end and gave Inferno a try. First elite mob had me kiting him for about 10 minutes. =[

scy

If I see: Extra Health, Invulnerable Minions, Extra Fast, or Teleporting, I usually just run away. It's not worth it. The same goes for damage reflecting.

So far on my Monk, that's really the only pain in the ass one by itself. Fast Fire Chains is rough and any of the zone damages with Shielding is probably not worth my time as well.

Tacitus_

Oh fuck you Blizzard. Fuck you for making a monster that has an attack you're supposed to dodge do it with <1s AND have it home if you don't leave his melee range.

How the fuck are you supposed to beat that. He oneshosts you. Without chance.

Finally hit over 2.2k DPS on my monk at lvl 48...

And I still feel that i should be doing more damage.

Need to keep grinding that money so i can go back to the AH.

I have yet to get a legendary :(

KorrZ

If I see: Extra Health, Invulnerable Minions, Extra Fast, or Teleporting, I usually just run away. It's not worth it. The same goes for damage reflecting and mortar.

The only exception is if it's an incredibly slow mob I can kite.

Yup. Yup. Yup. It's not even worth it to try to fight elites with invulnerable minions. My whole strategy for fighting them gets thrown out the window when I can't kite the minions and kill them off first. Unfortunately for me If I ran away everytime I saw mortar I'd never kill any because I swear that's all Blizzard wants to spawn for me :(

zlatko

Banned
Oh fuck you Blizzard. Fuck you for making a monster that has an attack you're supposed to dodge do it with <1s AND have it home if you don't leave his melee range.

How the fuck are you supposed to beat that. He oneshosts you. Without chance.

Who?

Wow do resistances make a huge difference. I pumped poison resistance and used One With Everything to get 200+ resists for all, and now my Monk barely takes damage on Hell.

Thanks DSmalls and Houston for the advice, I'll give those a try tonight. Admittedly, I haven't been very adventurous with trying new abilities. I've mostly stuck with the same skills for most of the game. It'll be nice to try some new stuff, especially if it ends up being better.

scy

Anyone have some good recommendations for Monk builds?

Depends on where you're at. At Inferno and ~30% Crit with my Scoundrel, I run:

Fist of Thunder > Quickening
Sweeping Wind > Blade Storm
Mantra of Evasion > Hard Target
Breath of Heaven > Blazing Wrath
Seven-Sided Strike > Fulminating Onslaught (Probably going back to Wave of Light > Explosive Light just to have a spam ability up more often)
Serenity > Ascension

I imagine most Inferno builds will be this. Swap FoT > Quickening to Deadly Reach's Armor Buff or Damage buff, Crippling Wave's Damage debuff, or Way of the Hundred Fist's Spirit generator and swap Sweeping Wind/Seven-Sided Strike for Spirit spenders as you enjoy, really.

Passives are Transcendence, Seize the Initiative, and One With Everything. I have ~360 Resists, I believe with 10k S/S DPS and 5.5k Armor? Something around that, anyway.

Finally hit over 2.2k DPS on my monk at lvl 48...

And I still feel that i should be doing more damage.

Need to keep grinding that money so i can go back to the AH.

I have yet to get a legendary :(

im in same boat as you

havent got a legendary or set yet. but from what i hear it doesnt even matter!

KorrZ

The unique that's guarding the bridge to the town where the witch is. Uses the Dark Berserker model.

I should've just sold my gold to the chinese and kept farming Act 1 comfortable. What a waste.

What class are you? That guy is pretty damn slow and easy to kite he also winds up his attack noticeably. I can see how it'd be an issue if you're a melee class though I suppose.

Wow do resistances make a huge difference. I pumped poison resistance and used One With Everything to get 200+ resists for all, and now my Monk barely takes damage on Hell.

How do you build DMG resistance for all elements?

Did you buy the gear with the resistance integrated or was it gem enabled?

The Monk passive One with Everything makes your highest resist apply to all of damage types. I bought a bunch of poison resist gear and it applies to everything now.

scy

If not Monk > Buy a lot of +All Resistances equipment.
If Monk > Buy a lot of one type of +Resistance and use One With Everything. Or do the above still and still somehow end up with one Resist that's 100-ish higher than the rest :|

Tacitus_

What class are you? That guy is pretty damn slow and easy to kite he also winds up his attack noticeably. I can see how it'd be an issue if you're a melee class though I suppose.

Barbarian. He gets some sort of attack speed buff occasionally where he does the windup attack in <1s.

Petrie

Banned
So all the talk I see of buying items cheap them being able to flip them, what exactly are you guys searching for in order to do so? I'd like to make some gold to get my guy outfitted for Hell.

JoeMartin

Those stupid Lacuni Huntresses in act 2 that go invulnerable for a full second during that leap they do is fucking obnoxious.

LordCanti

So all the talk I see of buying items cheap them being able to flip them, what exactly are you guys searching for in order to do so? I'd like to make some gold to get my guy outfitted for Hell.

Items with 2days left on them, that are way cheaper than anything else in the price range.

2 days left because items like that go in seconds, not minutes. If it has hours off the time, it's probably not a flippable item.

What are people's strategy for getting gold? I'm 55 and I'd really like to replace some of my gear but the AH is become exorbitantly expensive... is there a particular run that's good for farming gold (much like it's common knowledge the Act 3 boss is good for farming EXP)? I was at about 350k gold, bought a few items and am back down to only around 200k gold.

The other night I searched the AH for good level 60 gear then dug through the results and bid on everything where people weren't smart enough to raise the starting bid (so something like a rare with 120 Intelligence and 95 Vitality bid at 512 gold). I have about a dozen Auctions I'm bidding on in my queue now that expire in 20 hours or so and I'm planning to try to win them at the last minute for extraordinarily cheap and then resell or actually wear them if they're upgrades. Have people been doing this? With all these auctions going for 800k - 3m I have to assume people are raking in buku bucks.

DSmalls84

So I'm a 45 Witch Doctor and got to act 3 on Nightmare last night, been fooling with builds and came up with this (I'm using one with plague bats instead of grasp of the dead)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#aZRdQU!bWX!aYaZZZ

Would something like this be viable for Nightmare? I was thinking of where to drop in a 2nd strong ability but I'm not sure.

I would drop Big Bad Voodoo for an AOE Skill, not because it is bad but because the cooldown is pretty long for such a short benefit. Either Dire Bats or you could try Acid Cloud, but bats gives more bang for the buck. Otherwise seems pretty solid. I'm not a huge fan of Pierce the Veil, but only because WD seems to be pretty mana constricted before using that skill.

eek5

If Monk > Buy a lot of one type of +Resistance and use One With Everything. Or do the above still and still somehow end up with one Resist that's 100-ish higher than the rest :|

If you're a monk you should be picking a resistance and then getting items with that resistance AND +all resistances imo

scy

It is now that SS has a cool down anyway.

I'm still annoyed that I keep managing to screw that Belial achievement up. I don't know why mid-fight I just kind of forget how to dodge his fists and get hit once :|

If you're a monk you should be picking a resistance and then getting items with that resistance AND +all resistances imo

There's a lot of good Monk gear like that with Dex/Vit that's priced higher than if it ... well, wasn't Monk gear. :/ Most my equipment has +All and +Another, which is why my Lightning Resist is a good ~40-80 points higher than the rest of mine. Kind of made using One With Everything worth it at that point.

Tacitus_

I haven't figured out when he's going to do them. I'm too busy trying to avoid green stuff. I've never been good at tracking multiple things at once, that's why I was terrible at WoW.

Stay out of the green stuff. Also, he finishes the first combo by slamming in front of his head so dodge that to the sides.

JimmyBoy

Looks like there's currently a mismatch between what your equipment stats are in the Auction House and what they are in game. Great Beta!

Jubbly

I haven't figured out when he's going to do them. I'm too busy trying to avoid green stuff. I've never been good at tracking multiple things at once, that's why I was terrible at WoW.

The green stuff is where he's going to slam his arms. When they're locked down dodge the new green or you go boom.

notsol337

marked forever
Smoke screen man.

I'm using it. It's not the AoE stuff that kills me, or his regular arm attacks. Around half HP he slams both his arms down and I haven't figured out which animation means "HULK SMASH."

He's even hit me with it with SS going and while I'm moving. I know it's not unavoidable, I just have no clue what I'm doing wrong (other than being terrible).

The green stuff is where he's going to slam his arms. When they're locked down dodge the new green or you go boom.

Oh. Well crap. I'll just run towards him then. I just assumed that's another pile of poison bombs.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
I love my Barb. War Cry on 4 player Belial makes for a very easy victory.

Cipherr

TmpoQ.jpg

Working on my DH resists also. Still need to spend what is needed to get some of those more ideal pieces, but I feel far from a ragdoll now in Act 2 Inferno. I still think they are going to address DH survivability though.

Edit: Having worth a damn resists, a good HP pool and switching from SS to ShadowPower+Gloom actually does work. All of a sudden I can take hits from elites on the chin, even in Nightmare as a DH. Its not like I want to up and facetank them, but a Vortex, or a Jail + 2 elites meleeing me for a couple of seconds does not kill me anymore.

notsol337

marked forever
If you're in NA, I'd be more than happy to just kill it for you. I had to ask someone to do it for me back when the pings were in the 500's.

I appreciate the offer, but I'm going to work now! I'll also be in Indianapolis all weekend for the race. I'm sure I'll crack him when I get back on Monday! It's actually given the game a breath of difficulty finally. I just sorta murdered my way through everything else.

scy

Working on my DH resists also. Still need to spend what is needed to get some of those more ideal pieces, but I feel far from a ragdoll now in Act 2 Inferno. I still think they are going to address DH survivability though.

So I read this post somehow as Act 2 Hell, not Inferno, and then saw the screencap of the resists and was all "lolwut?" to the numbers.

Just felt like sharing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom