• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry about XSX teraflops advantage : It's kinda all blowing up in the face of Xbox Series X

Can someone catch me up on this: roughly what percentage of multiplat games are better on PS5 vs XSX?
Does it matter that much tho? Because who ever is better it's not usually by much. I could be wrong as I haven't been keeping up with the comparisons for for quite some time

Trust the engineer who made the damn thing.
What a revelation.

Santa Monica, Guerrilla, and ND still have to release a PS5 exclusive game (besides Burning Shores).
I kinda agree that PS5 still have something left in the tank, but nothing mindblowing I guess.

Nah, look at Killzone Shadowfall to Red Dead Redemption 2 to Last of us 2 on a ps4 base. All at 1080p but varrying degrees of mindblowing throughout the years. Devs know how to squeeze that little extra out of the hardware after years of working on it. Happens every gen.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That's going to be a shaky situation if true. Are they going to continue supporting XSX and XSS for a substantial period of time into their next gen? If they are then won't they still have games that have to work with XSS and continue to have that "held back" stench. If not then they are cutting XSX/XSS gamers loose far too early and they may be rightfully pissed.

Phil Spencer better have a good plan to navigate those waters.
Phil Spencer's plans to navigate those waters:
  • Buy a publisher to divert the attention,
  • Invite all "influencers" to exclusive dinners so they can "manage expectations",
  • Release a statement "We've heard the feedback, and we're fully committed to doing better and supporting the next consoles for a longer period."

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Said it before and I'll say it again:

Using basic metrics like tf as a comparator works on PC because the technology that connects them is basically the same. On a console this simply doesn't apply because everything else can be custom built, and that can substantially impact performance.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Is this the anti-Xbox thread of the day? It grows tiresome.
J07sqY5.gif

There there...

PaintTinJr

I mean, the GPU is also used for shading. I.e. combining textures, lighting, shadows, transparencies, etc, into a finished pixel. A more powerful GPU can push more pixels (i.e. higher resolution).

As for TF comparisons, I'm talking in terms of comparable architectures, like what we have in the XSX vs PS5.
But most of the other features are fill-rate limited and not part of the vertex/geometry pipeline that the Teraflops (CUs solve), and the PS5 is in a different higher range than the XsX GPU for fill-rate.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
It's not about the specs really. What we're doing here is throwing more brute force at games instead of enforcing and optimizing existing engines and specs to their capacity. Nintendo has proven time and time again on low end hardware you can achieve some beautiful results. Microsoft in my opinion has not really placed a mandate or given developers better tools. Sony to their credit seems to have a better approach with their support and development teams than Microsoft currently does, which allows developers to get more out of the base units.

They way I look at it is if you a Ferrari and a Prius on the same road full of potholes and cracks in the pavement it doesn't matter which car you drive your still hammered by the road (tools) if you pave the one with the Prius and leave the Ferrari on the bumpy one the Prius which is underpowered will get you there quicker and smoother than the other.

We're always so quick to more on to new hardware and push the boundaries instead of taking the time to maximize the current systems IMHO.

PaintTinJr

Nope and if they do literally no one knows about it

I do think they are going to start "next gen" way earlier than Playstation though
I have a new theory that the XsS reason to exist and be "current gen" was Microsoft's way of lowering expectation for their cloud offering, by saying you can play next-gen games on Xcloud, and they'd provide a (cloud degraded) approximation of the XsS experience, making it easier to do higher number of simultaneous cloud sessions with a better margin.

Which if true, means the appetite to go above XsX and make the Xcloud offering look even more inferior would be inconsistent. so I'm now starting to think XsX revisions will be the last Xbox consoles and they are now all in on Cloud..

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
Trust the engineer who made the damn thing.
What a revelation.

Nah, look at Killzone Shadowfall to Red Dead Redemption 2 to Last of us 2 on a ps4 base. All at 1080p but varrying degrees of mindblowing throughout the years. Devs know how to squeeze that little extra out of the hardware after years of working on it. Happens every gen.
We had games like the order 1886, star wars battle front, and uncharted 4 that showed off ps4 way before that though. Mean while on current gen games look like ps4 games at 60fps and higher resolution, diminishing returns i guess.

twilo99

They are robbed with false PR bullshit from the start, but the first benchmarks showed how they were just brainwashed by MS their buzzwords and their big mouth on twitter. CoD, Dirt 5, Valhalla etc already ran better on PS5 then XSX.

No it's not like their games looked like pixelated games, but it was funny to see all the crow eaters.

I think you mean deceived not robbed but even then the differences are so small that it doesn’t matter at all which console you have to play CoD on..

twilo99

Can someone catch me up on this: roughly what percentage of multiplat games are better on PS5 vs XSX?

More importantly, by how much are they better?

Since they are 3rd party, the performance difference between the two means nothing since we have no idea how much resources, time, and general skill the dev team has to maximize the box.

The difference in the console space at least is last gen it did matter because the TF advantage was a significant percentage. The One X was better than the PS4 Pro in every way, it was also more expensive and came out a year later. A 1.7TF advantage between those two machines was about 30% which is pretty significant especially when you add in the extra memory etc but with the current gen there is only about a 15% theoretical difference between the GPU's when it comes to TF's but the PS5 is actually better than the Series X in some ways so most of that theoretical advantage is taken away., When a game has a higher native res on Series X it tends to have a smoother framerate on PS5, so it stands to reason that if they lowered the res on Series X to the same level as the PS5 they'd probably smooth out some of the performance issues and the games would basically be identical.

twilo99

That's going to be a shaky situation if true. Are they going to continue supporting XSX and XSS for a substantial period of time into their next gen? If they are then won't they still have games that have to work with XSS and continue to have that "held back" stench. If not then they are cutting XSX/XSS gamers loose far too early and they may be rightfully pissed.

I think their first party games won’t be an issue.. how would they deal with the 3rd party situation is going to be very interesting indeed.

It is what happened for the PS3. Sony best studios used it well and gave us masterpieces. If Xbox can do the same it would be great. And as Xbox games will go to PC too no one will be left behind. Just that after games like Redfall and Halo Infinite it is hard to believe in them. For me at least. If you are wrong and the Series X does not have even one or two showcases in the next two years then Xbox is doomed. Nobody will laugh at it because we would have moved on I think.
I thought Halo Infinite was good and looks very nice and it's a cross gen game . Redfall was crap and it seemed never mind the engine , the team werent good enough. I've never seen AI so bad. That to me is more on the developer side, than hardware.

PS3 shower when development lead on it, it could match the 360. The Series X issue , is like for the Saturn, PS3 it's not the lead development platform.

I think the Xbox won't do better unless MS sorts out it's marketing and pushing it's brand showing what the Series X can do . I'm sick of people at MS or on Xbox Era thinking it's all about buying ever mode studios and nothing to do with PR or making better use of what resources the Xbox team already got.

Nintendo switch is a prime example of horse power game is total bs ,they sell the most consoles they have the best game on a cpu that's less powerful than 5 year old mobiles.
Just release games that are consistently 90+ and see how people flock towards the system.

Don’t buy their systems at launch anymore, hold off, let them prove it’s capabilities first . They don’t care as long as people keep giving them money or have an army of fakes kissing their arse on social media.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I thought Halo Infinite was good and looks very nice and it's a cross gen game . Redfall was crap and it seemed never mind the engine , the team werent good enough. I've never seen AI so bad. That to me is more on the developer side, than hardware.

PS3 shower when development lead on it, it could match the 360. The Series X issue , is like for the Saturn, PS3 it's not the lead development platform.

I think the Xbox won't do better unless MS sorts out it's marketing and pushing it's brand showing what the Series X can do . I'm sick of people at MS or on Xbox Era thinking it's all about buying ever mode studios and nothing to do with PR or making better use of what resources the Xbox team already got.
Halo was bad from a PR perspective. I know that it is a wrong thing to do, but playing and loving TLOU 2 and Ghost of Tsushima and looking around that time at Craig made it hard to trust them. I understand that for those that played the game it had good points. Just that it is not a 10/10 game in my opinion and those kind of games are what Xbox needs to get better like the PS3 did. I agree that not being lead platform is a problem but look at games like Resident evil 4 remake and Hogwarts. They are not bad on the Series X. On the contrary. So not being lead platform is not a huge problem.
Xbox have to give us great games. I hope that Starfield will be one. And that we will get others. The question is will they even try? Or will they go for a early start nest gen in 2026/2027 like some people have been saying recently? On the PR side Xbox have to be more global too. Outside of the Us they are inexistent sadly.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Yup.

Which Series console gets discontinued first is gonna be a shit show, no matter which one.

If they both get discontinued at the same time.....oh boy.

Xyphie

The XSX GPU is definitely better. More shading power, more VRAM bandwidth and a few more modern features. But the difference is small enough that it will be very hard to measure with dynamic resolutions and v-synced 30/60 framerate caps.

Lysandros

SX has 20% bigger chip approx. So it is technically superior and more expensive. PS5 is more efficient and has less bottleneck so performance between them is more or less same. The biggest giveaway was when SX also using dynamic resolution. Many were saying PS5 will be dynamic or fps will be variable where as SX will maintain the res and fps.
XSX having a 18% larger APU doesn't make it "technically superior", superiority is about the whole not just a facet.

Last edited:

SHA

Digital foundry admits teraflops don't matter anymore after 3 years of this being pushed by them
This is fitting with the new pro consoles rumors coming don't rely on Teraflops

1:05:38

Looking back at mark cerny was clowned for saying teraflops don't matter

Nothing new here, tf aren't created equal, what's your point?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The XSX GPU is definitely better. More shading power, more VRAM bandwidth and a few more modern features. But the difference is small enough that it will be very hard to measure with dynamic resolutions and v-synced 30/60 framerate caps.
The problem is that all that power is not harnessed as much by developers as people would have liked because a.) they could not or would not produce as many XSX units as we would like and b.) devs have to target the XSS so they tend to use it as a baseline which does hold your design back somewhat… also it is apparently a much more expensive design to manufacture and yet most games are not showing the superiority you claim, some have kind of lost the head to head benchmarks… that to me a superior architecture does not make (XSX is not a bad design, I am not saying it is).

SenkiDala

Lol DF, that's some sick arsonist firefighters move. "Gngngngn 12TF gngngn 10TF" on hundreds of videos and at the end "guys why people are obsessed about TFs ? It doesn't mean anything".

Most reasonable gamers know this since decades. The 64 bits of the Jaguar, the huge superiority of the N64 next to the PS1 and at the end most of the gorgeous games releasing exclusively on the PS1, didn't they learn anything ?

SHA

It's not small cause it's pointless if parity deals just ended up eating almost every released content, parity deals are a thing.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
Nintendo switch is a prime example of horse power game is total bs ,they sell the most consoles they have the best game on a cpu that's less powerful than 5 year old mobiles.
Just release games that are consistently 90+ and see how people flock towards the system.
Ps5 share the same library as ps4, and is doing great. horse power does does matter. Playstation has been the most successful consistent consoles and their consoles have been doing great for decades and if they chose to make weak hardware they would be wiped out.

Last edited:

Xyphie

The problem is that all that power is not harnessed as much by developers as people would have liked because a.) they could not or would not produce as many XSX units as we would like and b.) devs have to target the XSS so they tend to use it as a baseline which does hold your design back somewhat… also it is apparently a much more expensive design to manufacture and yet most games are not showing the superiority you claim, some have kind of lost the head to head benchmarks… that to me a superior architecture does not make (XSX is not a bad design, I am not saying it is).

This is just not the case. Based on the initial 7nm designs there's no meaningful cost difference or yield difference between them. In pure wafer costs XSX APU is like $5-10 more assuming a $10K wafer with both getting around 160-180 chips per. The XSX chip is like 15% bigger, it's no big deal.

Mobilemofo

Was it not pretty obvious from the specs that xboxX wouldn't be a big leap at all? It's always been about the games...if it was just about power, Microsoft would have had the jump along time ago. It's why Sony has been able to outperform Microsoft in the console wars..

SHA

The "tera"flop does matter, but it's not the whole story. Just because you have the most horsepower in your car, will not mean you can win all the races.
Yeah , just like Hulk Hogan not being the strongest wrestler despite being the number one contender, you can't be serious just throwing logic away for this analogy.

Neo_game

peish

Doubtfully. It's the first time I hear this since the PS5 specs were revealed.

some one here posted about the arm soc with 512mb, but is it verified?

According to these number it is:

according to even amd themselves, ps5 is 4700s, xsx is 4800s. One step up

Mokus

some one here posted about the arm soc with 512mb, but is it verified?
The memory is definitely present, not sure about the arm. But it's nothing significant to make an impactful difference. I think it is meant only for tasks that don't need the more expensive RAM or CPU to work properly: bios, network, Bluetooth, wireless.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If they butterfly it again then it’ll probably land around 21TF.

I doubt they'll need to do that. I think part of the function of the additional I/O hardware on the PS5 APU is there to simplify interfacing such that the actual structure of the GPU is less of a concern.

Outperformed it by how much exactly? Is it a meaningful difference? Are Xbox players robbed from some stunning visual experience that can only be had on the PS5?

Its all about the 3rd party developers utilizing the boxes properly, and they almost never do that for both brands.
No. Each console "outperformed" the other about half the time. But, the differences were so small that no one likely would even know who "won" without sites like DF analyzing things frame by frame.

Top Bottom