• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry about XSX teraflops advantage : It's kinda all blowing up in the face of Xbox Series X

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Is this the same reason the ps3 was more powerful than the Xbox 360 but every game performed significantly worse?

In significant part, not entirely though. CELL was a bitch to code for, but beyond that the split memory was a massive headache especially when dealing with middleware like UE3. Data straying into the wrong region of memory incurred huge performance penalties, which was commonplace thanks to anything leading on 360 not having this pitfall to worry about.

Topher

Gold Member
Outperformed it by how much exactly? Is it a meaningful difference? Are Xbox players robbed from some stunning visual experience that can only be had on the PS5?

Its all about the 3rd party developers utilizing the boxes properly, and they almost never do that for both brands.

I'd say there is no noticeable difference on either console 95% of the time. There are outliers, but the differences for the most part are marginal.

PaintTinJr

Lysandros

According to these number it is:

This is a very incomplete and basic listing with only one GPU metric where PS5 is shown to be ahead of XSX this being the pixel fillrate while omitting others as relevant to game performance such as geometry throughput, culling rate, shared L1 cache amount/bandwidth available per CU, number of depth ROPs (twice as much on PS5), ACEs/schedulers and architectural differences like Cache Scrubbers. Also, the 336 GB/s of lower VRAM bandwidth for remaining 3 GB pool (which is/can still be GPU memory whose access can impact the fast pool) on XSX is nowhere to be found. To be fair even a basic knowledge about the base GPU architectures is enough to deduce most of it from the 2233 MHz of frequency compared to 1825 MHz. It seems that you are stuck at 2020 about the matter.

Last edited:
Hey man I fell for it 🤷‍♂️ it wasn't until this generation when I learned teraflops isn't the only metric to look at on a gpu and even if the tf number is high is it being bottlenecked by something else 🤔 it's interesting seeing the different customizations these two come up with and the PR accompanying these decisions.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Easy solution for all of us, there isn't that many members on gaf, we just need a rich member to buy us all 4090's......then we don't have to worry about teraflops for a while.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This to me just seems more like DF trying to downplay the importance of TFs instead of just coming out and saying Microsft designed a bad console.

How can you possibly come to the conclusion that Microsoft designed a bad console. That's insane dude. It's an awesome console. Unless you're talking about the series S?

Last edited:

Nydius

I'd say there is no noticeable difference on either console 95% of the time. There are outliers, but the differences for the most part are marginal.

I can definitely second this, having gotten the same number of trophies/achievements in both XSX and PS5 versions of Hogwarts Legacy (three short of platinum/1000GS on both). The differences are so slight as to not be noticeable unless you're an outlet like DF that goes in and does like 400% zoom to compare the edges of textures on random rocks.

They both performed the same (well, at least after the first patch or two). If you could use a generic controller and cover up the input prompts in order to have people guess which platform they were playing on, I doubt the average player -- or even an above average player -- would be able to tell which version was which.

Mr.Phoenix

How can you possibly come to the conclusion that Microsoft designed a bad console. That's insane dude. It's an awesome console. Unless you're talking about the series S?
No.I am talking about both of them. At the same time. But mostly about the S. I can't dissociate one from the other, because as MS intended, they are both one family of consoles. They are both one platform.

They made a 12TF console, that has enough bottlenecks to prevent it from performing like a 12TF console all the time. kinda like how the PS3 was an all-round more powerful console than the 360, but it's complex/complicated/bad design meant it was outperformed by the 360 almost 90% of the time.

MS designed a family of consoles, that is so out of touch, that devs have to even skip releases for their platform.

I am sorry, but you find yourself in a situation where for whatever reason, your 12TF console is being outperformed, or even matched by a 10TF one, and your 4TF console that you claimed would only need a rez swap, can potentially hinder what games you even get on your platform, and I think its safe to say you did something wrong. Wouldn't you agree?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
But most of the other features are fill-rate limited and not part of the vertex/geometry pipeline that the Teraflops (CUs solve), and the PS5 is in a different higher range than the XsX GPU for fill-rate.
Ok, but I mean, none of these consoles have any issue achieving 4K60 in terms of raw fillrate. What causes them to not reach that most of the time (natively) is that it takes too long to calculate the color value of each pixel, and that does have a lot to do with TFLOPS.

You almost seem to be arguing that rendering resolution is not affected by TFLOPS, which would be a strange thing to suggest.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
No.I am talking about both of them. At the same time. But mostly about the S. I can't dissociate one from the other, because as MS intended, they are both one family of consoles. They are both one platform.

They made a 12TF console, that has enough bottlenecks to prevent it from performing like a 12TF console all the time. kinda like how the PS3 was an all-round more powerful console than the 360, but it's complex/complicated/bad design meant it was outperformed by the 360 almost 90% of the time.

MS designed a family of consoles, that is so out of touch, that devs have to even skip releases for their platform.

I am sorry, but you find yourself in a situation where for whatever reason, your 12TF console is being outperformed, or even matched by a 10TF one, and your 4TF console that you claimed would only need a rez swap, can potentially hinder what games you even get on your platform, and I think its safe to say you did something wrong. Wouldn't you agree?

The series x performs more or less exactly how it should now. Its a great console. I don't know what to tell you if you want to think differently. That's your opinion and it's fine. Pz

DaGwaphics

I don't know what to tell you @ Mr.Phoenix Mr.Phoenix , if you think the XSX is out of touch with the current console market. If that's the case, well you know what that says about the PS5.

Sony and MS released $500 consoles (the disk drive models) at launch and both boxes perform similarly to each other. If MS needs a couple more TF to make that happen due to differences in the way the APIs and SDKs are structured, it was smart for them to pick those up in the spec. With the specs they chose they can reach performance parity (often they do get a 15-20% edge in resolution which is all the GPU difference amounts to, by the way) and still get the long-term benefits that their more hardware agnostic API approach provides. Mission accomplished.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This is just not the case. Based on the initial 7nm designs there's no meaningful cost difference or yield difference between them. In pure wafer costs XSX APU is like $5-10 more assuming a $10K wafer with both getting around 160-180 chips per. The XSX chip is like 15% bigger, it's no big deal.
The entire system is not just the SoC though. Anyways, for a system like this $10 more is quite a bit if you think about profit margins.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I don't know what to tell you @ Mr.Phoenix Mr.Phoenix , if you think the XSX is out of touch with the current console market. If that's the case, well you know what that says about the PS5.

Sony and MS released $500 consoles (the disk drive models) at launch and both boxes perform similarly to each other. If MS needs a couple more TF to make that happen due to differences in the way the APIs and SDKs are structured, it was smart for them to pick those up in the spec. With the specs they chose they can reach performance parity (often they do get a 15-20% edge in resolution which is all the GPU difference amounts to, by the way) and still get the long-term benefits that their more hardware agnostic API approach provides. Mission accomplished.

This is the thing I don't get about these comments from some people.

Stand a series x next to a ps5. It's smaller, it's quieter and it runs considerably less Watts.

Microsoft opted for a gpu that runs slower so they went wider to accomplish their goals. This is because they wanted a system that draws less Watts. To draw less heat, that allows the system to be smaller and just as powerful. It's more efficient than a ps5 when you look at the true meaning off efficient...how well can it perform with the energy put into it.

The ps5 is a great console because it uses speed of the gpu to go pound for pound with the xbox. But when comparing it performance wise its less efficient and considerably larger.

I don't get how anyone with an ounce of knowledge can call the xbox series x a bad console. That's insane to me.

Doesn't make the ps5 bad either. The ps5 is awesome for its design choices. They used a narrow design and speed to deliver their performance target and its worked wonders.

King Dazzar

I think both the X1X and Series X are brilliant consoles hardware wise. Especially the XSX. Its silent and compact whilst being very capable relatively performance wise. On the downside, things like the new UI, storage expansion options, parity feature requirement with Series S and a long list of things I'm despising within the MS/Xbox management team. But the XSX hardware itself, I think generally excellent.

Zuzu

Hey man I fell for it 🤷‍♂️ it wasn't until this generation when I learned teraflops isn't the only metric to look at on a gpu and even if the tf number is high is it being bottlenecked by something else 🤔 it's interesting seeing the different customizations these two come up with and the PR accompanying these decisions.
I fell for it as well. But I think when you see a figure like 12 teraflops you also assume that the rest of the console is designed to actually utilise and take advantage of the full power of the gpu. But yeah, next time I won’t put too much credence in these figures. Best to wait for actual game benchmarks.

Lysandros

And for consistency, probably best we mention the PS5 has a 22% advantage on fill-rate.
Among others not mentioned here and PS5's 122% depth ROP advantage withstanding to due to 256 vs 128 (XSX) split in hardware on that front. Altogether with them operating within higher L1 cache bandwidth on PS5 with less CUs fighting for bandwidth real world difference in matter of fill rate can be substantially greater than 22%.

Microsoft inviting them exclusively to see the Xbox hardware first must of got them a lot of traffic, as even to a non-skeptic I must admit their attitude shifts always seem to be in Microsofts favour. They've rave about XSX teraflops advantage in almost every comparison and blamed poor tools and optimisation when the PS5 came out on top, but now a PS5 Pro is on the horizon, and having the most TF doesn't matter?

XSS starts having to render current generation games in sub-hd resolutions, and they focus on how clean the reconstruction is and gloss over how the PS5 version is running at native resolution. I feel like DF from 5-10 years ago would have strongly preferred native to any type of reconstruction.

Not to mention them saying the XSS isn't holding things back despite a few developers tweeting otherwise, and now we literally have the biggest game of the year (possibly) skipping xbox until 2024 directly because of it, but nope, they've not released a video about that have they.

You could devils advocate them and say, well, PS5 proved TF doesn't matter, and current image reconstruction is so good that it's become the new default, but when there is a ton of advertising revenue involved I'm not going out of my way to defend them.

John and DF Retro are the only thing I really care about from Eurogamer.

MAX PAYMENT

In significant part, not entirely though. CELL was a bitch to code for, but beyond that the split memory was a massive headache especially when dealing with middleware like UE3. Data straying into the wrong region of memory incurred huge performance penalties, which was commonplace thanks to anything leading on 360 not having this pitfall to worry about.
Interesting. Thank you for the explanation.

Nubulax

Santa Monica, Guerrilla, and ND still have to release a PS5 exclusive game (besides Burning Shores).
I kinda agree that PS5 still have something left in the tank, but nothing mindblowing I guess.
To this specifically I have a feeling both GOW Rag and Horizon FW were supposed to come out earlier than they did and be cross gen regardless but covid pushed it back and ND literally released TLOU2 months before PS5 came out I believe. Will be cool to see the new IP from Santa Monica and hopefully ND unless its just another TLOU which would be a bummer

PaintTinJr

This is the thing I don't get about these comments from some people.

Stand a series x next to a ps5. It's smaller, it's quieter and it runs considerably less Watts.

Microsoft opted for a gpu that runs slower so they went wider to accomplish their goals. This is because they wanted a system that draws less Watts. To draw less heat, that allows the system to be smaller and just as powerful. It's more efficient than a ps5 when you look at the true meaning off efficient...how well can it perform with the energy put into it.

The ps5 is a great console because it uses speed of the gpu to go pound for pound with the xbox. But when comparing it performance wise its less efficient and considerably larger.

I don't get how anyone with an ounce of knowledge can call the xbox series x a bad console. That's insane to me.

Doesn't make the ps5 bad either. The ps5 is awesome for its design choices. They used a narrow design and speed to deliver their performance target and its worked wonders.
You are deluded if you think the XsX technical design is more efficient.

The real proof of that will be in the next-revisions. When the power curve moves on both consoles because a lower lithography can handle the higher GPU clocks and CU counts better, it is a certainty the PS5 will see energy efficiency that the XsX can't get close to, even if they are still subsidizing an expensive vapor chamber to misrepresent how the silicon's thermal profile measures up helping it draw less than it should at those clocks.

The other dead giveaways that the XsX isn't as efficient is that 3years on, it is still massively losing money on hardware. Efficient designs are efficient with the power they use and this is reflected in the ease and cheapness with which revisions can be done as pricing and reliability on components improves, and the size reduction in percentage and absolute terms will also favour the PS5, as has been the trend of every PlayStation.

twilo99

The series s has some advantages as well, it’s just depends if those are important to you, they are to me..

It draws the least amount of power and it has the smallest footprint of the 3 boxes. It’s also very quiet..

PaintTinJr

The box is indeed smaller and uses less power at full load, which in turn produces less heat.

It’s a very good design.
The parts and cooler aren't suited to a £500 console that will eventually sell at a good profit. PlayStation have driven down the costs that they've been making money on the hardware for at least 18months. A vapour chamber is effectively an expensive sledgehammer, especially for an APU with poor CU arrangement and completely odd and inefficient memory setup,, and it doesn't even have a hot and high bandwidth IO complex in there needing cooled, either.

Last edited:

Nubulax

Im guessing they do. It wouldn't make sense for Sony to only have a Pro console while Microsoft doesn't produce a competitor to it.
All their games are on PC day 1 for "power" and they already have 2 different consoles in the S and X... I just dont see why they would even care to make a pro when alot of those gamers prob just bought a PC. As is, the S is prob the Majority console I imagine, at best its like 50/50 with the X

MikeM

All their games are on PC day 1 for "power" and they already have 2 different consoles in the S and X... I just dont see why they would even care to make a pro when alot of those gamers prob just bought a PC. As is, the S is prob the Majority console I imagine, at best its like 50/50 with the X
It just goes to show that they don’t prioritize console properly.

Ps5 share the same library as ps4, and is doing great. horse power does does matter. Playstation has been the most successful consistent consoles and their consoles have been doing great for decades and if they chose to make weak hardware they would be wiped out.
Dude they can release shit hardware and release wolverine tlou3 Spiderman 2 etc and it will sell like hot cakes.
PS4 pro was much weaker than Xbox one X still did better then it
At the end of the day it is all about the games

RaySoft

I mean, this tweet is just as wrong, if not more wrong, than the teraflop argument ever was.

There's nothing about the PS5 that makes it "one of the most revolutionary home consoles ever designed".
What he meant by that was that the hardware is almost perfectly balanced. A chain is only so strong as it's weakest link. I think all consoles of the past has had some kind of bottleneck somewhere in the design. I'm not saying the PS5 is perfect, but they certainly designed a well rounded console where the sum of it's parts punches above it's weight.

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
So it doesn't quite eat monsters for breakfast.

happy-gilmore-adam-sandler.gif

Fuck. I'm out.

bill-paxton.gif

twilo99

The parts and cooler aren't suited to a £500 console that will eventually sell at a good profit. PlayStation have driven down the costs that they've been making money on the hardware for at least 18months. A vapour chamber is effectively an expensive sledgehammer, especially for an APU with poor CU arrangement and completely odd and inefficient memory setup,, and it doesn't even have a hot and high bandwidth IO complex in there needing cooled, either.

I didn't say it was good design from an accounting standpoint, I'm sure it's more expensive to make than the PS5, that's a completely different conversation from a corporate point of view.

The series x is very well made, overengineered in my opinion, which ultimately benefits consumers. I have no problem with Microsoft, or any other company for that matter, subsidizing a product like that.

twilo99

What he meant by that was that the hardware is almost perfectly balanced. A chain is only so strong as it's weakest link. I think all consoles of the past has had some kind of bottleneck somewhere in the design. I'm not saying the PS5 is perfect, but they certainly designed a well rounded console where the sum of it's parts punches above it's weight.

I agree, expect for the size they needed to make it all work... it's too big for what it offers

Top Bottom