• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry claims PS5 doesn't exhibit any evidence of VRS(Variable Rate Shading) from PS5 showcase.

semicool

Banned
Digital Foundry claims "While the jury is still out in the absence of higher quality assets, what we've seen so far across the board shows little to no evidence of the use of variable rate shading - a technique Microsoft is championing as a key efficiency driver in next-gen rendering."

Speculation: This seems at odds with some who were claiming that PS5 had VRS because it's in RDNA2. If that's the case, is it possible the XSX could have a more advanced or higher version of RDNA2 as the PS5 shows no evidence of VRS, at least as of yet? Or is it possibly just a custom feature for XSX GPU...ergo not a standard RDNA2 feature? Or will other PS5 games show it on a per game by game basis in the future?

Link: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-ps5-reveal-does-it-deliver-the-next-gen-dream

Last edited:

Stevonidas

Hold up, lemme git muh snacks fo dis...

eleanor-snacks.gif

A'ight, continue.

Andodalf

Banned
Even if no games shown use it, it doesn’t mean they don’t have it. It’s also not super easy to tell even with the 4K YT videos. Time will tell.

I thought it was already stated that VRS is a Direct X feature so it obviously won’t show up on PS5.

PS5’s equivalent for those features is the geometry engine.

Iirc Vulcan and open GL can use VRS. Geo engine is a different thing

Last edited:

semicool

Banned
I thought it was already stated that VRS is a Direct X feature so it obviously won’t show up on PS5.

If the results are the same, then DF saw no evidence. My understanding is that they are different results. Nvidia has VRS in their RTX line of GPU s. Case in point, in the same article about the Geometry Engine:

"Elsewhere, another aspect of the Cerny presentation paid off spectacularly. One of the key features of the new GPU is the Geometry Engine, giving developers unprecedented control over triangles and other primitives and easy control over geometry culling. There's nothing new in terms of principles here - it boils down to removing the need to render triangles that end up being invisible in the final frame. The less geometry you process, the less work there is for the GPU, meaning that resources can be used elsewhere. The immense richness in detail seen in idTech 7 and Call of Duty Modern Warfare's IW8 engine owes much to culling. However, the next-gen geometry engine does this at the hardware level, while opening the door to primitive shaders, which helps to streamline the entire process.
"

VRS in other commentary.
"

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
If the results are the same, then DF saw no evidence. My understanding is that they are different results. Case in point, in the same article about the Geometry Engine:

"Elsewhere, another aspect of the Cerny presentation paid off spectacularly. One of the key features of the new GPU is the Geometry Engine, giving developers unprecedented control over triangles and other primitives and easy control over geometry culling. There's nothing new in terms of principles here - it boils down to removing the need to render triangles that end up being invisible in the final frame. The less geometry you process, the less work there is for the GPU, meaning that resources can be used elsewhere. The immense richness in detail seen in idTech 7 and Call of Duty Modern Warfare's IW8 engine owes much to culling. However, the next-gen geometry engine does this at the hardware level, while opening the door to primitive shaders, which helps to streamline the entire process.
"

VRS in other commentary.
"

what you reference is about not drawing triangles you don’t see, vrs is about doing less precise/ lower res shading on pixels on screen that aren’t important. These pixels are seen, and essentially show up as parts of the screen having low res effects on them, kinda like how you can see the pixelation in shadows or light shafts in most current gen games

semicool

Banned
what you reference is about not drawing triangles you don’t see, vrs is about doing less precise/ lower res shading on pixels on screen that aren’t important. These pixels are seen, and essentially show up as parts of the screen having low res effects on them, kinda like how you can see the pixelation in shadows or light shafts in most current gen games
That's my understanding too. That's was my reply that the Geometry Engine is not a VRS equivalent. XSX has mesh shaders for that pipeline.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If the results are the same, then DF saw no evidence. My understanding is that they are different results. Nvidia has VRS in their RTX line of GPU s. Case in point, in the same article about the Geometry Engine:

"

VRS in other commentary.
"

No, the results will not "be the same" in a traditional sense. From what I understand, both are using their own method to get more out of their consoles without sacrificing too much if at all on screen visually for the gamer.

There is no more advanced RDNA2 than the other... MS chose their VRS customization, and Sony chose their Geometry Engine customization within that RDNA2 architecture block. Both doing so to get more bang out of the silicon with tricks which is the only thing "the same" with their goals.

It all comes down to how they are implemented. I personally prefer the less intrusive looking approach, since I tend to wander my eyes all over the screen a lot, not just the view the game wants me to look.

Last edited:

semicool

Banned
No, the results will not "be the same" in a traditional sense. From what I understand, both are using their own method to get more out of their consoles without sacrificing too much if at all on screen visually for the gamer.

There is no more advanced RDNA2 than the other... MS chose their VRS customization, and Sony chose their Geometry Engine customization within that RDNA2 architecture block. Both doing so to get more bang out of the silicon with tricks which is the only thing "the same" with their goals.

It all comes down to how they are implemented. I personally prefer the less intrusive looking approach, since I tend to wander my eyes all over the screen a lot, not just the view the game wants me to look.
No Geometry Engine with primitive shaders on the PS5 is comparable to mesh shaders on the XSX. VRS is something MS, Nvidia and AMD have on their newer and forthcoming GPU s.

Similar idea in that you save on unnecessary rendering but geometry(ps5 geometry engine, XSX mesh shaders) vs shading application(VRS)

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
Not being funny but If you can tell then it's not very good, no?

It varies by implementation, but it’s quite hard to see in motion, and even more so when actually playing games. The DF video about it shows it well. The gears tactics video shows a game where it’s not so great, mainly because the game is more static.

think about a racing game where the sides of the screen are moving super fast and have motion blur, wouldn’t it be better to spend more attention on the cars and tracks?

Xplainin

Banned

Geometry Engine is more Mesh Shading.
I would have thought Sony would have mentioned VRS by now if they had it, but until Sony gives out some more info, hopefully in the teardown reveal, we cant really judge much.
VRS would have been available to them via RDNA 2 if they wanted to option it, so maybe they have their own solution, or didn't value it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No Geometry Engine with primitive shaders on the PS5 is comparable to mesh shaders on the XSX. VRS is something MS, Nvidia and AMD have on their newer and forthcoming Gpus.

I am pretty sure it does a few more advanced things that traditional mesh shading since it’s on the hardware level.

Andodalf

Banned
Geometry Engine is more Mesh Shading.
I would have thought Sony would have mentioned VRS by now if they had it, but until Sony gives out some more info, hopefully in the teardown reveal, we cant really judge much.
VRS would have been available to them via RDNA 2 if they wanted to option it, so maybe they have their own solution, or didn't value it.

It’s entirely possible their engines just don’t make use of it yet, few PC games support it

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I thought we played games for fun or have I been doing it wrong all along?
DF exists to analyze graphics.

I personally don't pay attention to it other than it's just kinda interesting. Outside of terrible performance none of their analysis is gonna change my mind about a game but it's still interesting stuff.

They aren't always right though lol

Last edited:
If im not mistaken ps4 pro could do VRS so why would the ps5 not be able to? My take is these games didn't need VRS an could hit thier targets while native 4k. As the graphic fidelity is more demanding as the generation progresses i think you will see more and more VRS if devs have a high fps in mind.
Since when could the PS4 Pro do VRS?

Last edited:
Who cares about vrs. It blurs the graphics and detail.

It's just one of Alex Bagtalia obsession over nothing.

You don't miss the forest for the tress.
Actually it sharpens detail where it matters most, while blurring things that are less noticed/if noticed at all in the background.

Has nothing to do with Alex. It's one of the core new features in RDNA2 and onwards. Hellblade 2 was already shown to be using the feature in the trailer.

Graphics get better by better software,improved effiecient implementations.

What you just said is sheer nonsense and naïve.

Last edited:
If im not mistaken ps4 pro could do VRS so why would the ps5 not be able to? My take is these games didn't need VRS an could hit thier targets while native 4k. As the graphic fidelity is more demanding as the generation progresses i think you will see more and more VRS if devs have a high fps in mind.
You're mistaken unless PS4 Pro was secretly using RDNA2 architecture several years in advance.

Quantum253

VRS=Gameplay trailers doesn't mean actual gameplay.

I'm just playin. I highly doubt, although both customized to each hardware, that there's hardly any differences between the RDNA2 chip benefits in both consoles. We have still yet to see a third party title running side by side to know what the differences really are.

ManaByte

Gold Member
You're mistaken unless PS4 Pro was secretly using RDNA2 architecture several years in advance.

It really was beta tested in the future!

VRS=Gameplay trailers doesn't mean actual gameplay.

I'm just playin. I highly doubt, although both customized to each hardware, that there's hardly any differences between the RDNA2 chip benefits in both consoles. We have still yet to see a third party title running side by side to know what the differences really are.

We saw Ratchet gameplay.

Last edited:
Top Bottom