• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty - DF Tech Review - PS5/Xbox Series Tests + 2.0 Upgrade Breakdown

Cyberpunk-2077-Phantom-Liberty-DF-Tech-Review-PS5-Xbox-Series-Tests-2-0-Upgrade-Breakdown-4-15-scree.png
hG6w1Wr.png

Bojji

You can listen again to what is being said.... VRS helps to raise the average resolution which is important when scaling from FSR2.

The possible "artifacts" for VRS are not constant, they do not always occur. In fact, it does not apply to daytime scenes or with luminosity . Nor to all the elements of the scene, only to certain points where its use can "go unnoticed"
That specific scene may become more evident due to the circumstances (darkness and bloom of lights), but it is not even remotely a constant situation. And I wouldn't rule out that the union with the scaling of FSR2 has somewhat accentuated its visibility in that scene.

In 90% of games released VRS looks dogshit with just slight resolution/fps (or nothing) increase.

Totally not worth using.

Xtib81

The game looks great on ps5 but that ghosting effect on the UI and the car certainly looks distracting. It wasn't there before. I hope fsr 3fixes it.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
VRS=Vaseline Rate Shading. I recall it was one of the big talking points prior to the launch of the SX but besides The Coalition, nobody seems to have a clue on how to implement it because it looks like shit more often than not.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
It's a nice demo mode, but it's a pretty bad experience if you're actually playing like that. From visual artifact and glitches galore to half the missions being too dark to actually see anything as it was never balanced around PT.
That's complete bullshit.

Darsxx82

So overall you get wildly inconsistent IQ as a result. Great.
LOL.

Surely 99.99% of people would not notice or think that it is that . What's more, you will probably even detect the extra sharpness of the image sooner than artifacts that only occur in specific details of specific scenes where VRS has application. As I say, in daytime and bright scenes it does not apply.

The way you previously worded it made it seem as if the system is supposed to be able to account for where the player is looking, which it can't because the whole screen will be in focus when playing on a regular TV/monitor.

And this is the case in the vast majority of cases. It is usually applied to areas/details further away from the scene and darkened areas. While you play it will hardly be something that catches your attention and it certainly does not deteriorate the IQ in general, much less because it is only limited to objects, details and specific shadow areas, not to the general image as you try to affirm.

Skifi28

Have the awful reflections been fixed? The console version had pretty nice visuals for the most part, but the reflections ruined everything, at least pre-patch.

Darsxx82

In 90% of games released VRS looks dogshit with just slight resolution/fps (or nothing) increase.

Totally not worth using.
Not everyone achieves the same implementation, that's correct. Among other things, because some Studios do not dedicate time to its correct implementation or the artistic vision of their games is not the most convenient for VRS

That said, there are many cases where its implementation is correct and achieves its purpose. Cases where 99.9% would not be able to detect their implementation if it were not for comparative zoom shots. And yet in those cases the extra sharpness to the general image is appreciated while achieving 1-2- or 3fps extra occasionally.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I don't understand, what's the point of making the game run at a higher resolution if you're just going to ruin it with this shoddy VRS? The numbers/letters to the left behind the pyramid aren't even legible due to how much it butchers the IQ.
I only realized those were supposed to be numbers after reading your comment.

Season 2 Lol GIF by Friends

GHG

LOL.

Surely 99.99% of people would not notice or think that it is that . What's more, you will probably even detect the extra sharpness of the image sooner than artifacts that only occur in specific details of specific scenes where VRS has application. As I say, in daytime and bright scenes it does not apply.

And this is the case in the vast majority of cases. It is usually applied to areas/details further away from the scene and darkened areas. While you play it will hardly be something that catches your attention and it certainly does not deteriorate the IQ in general, much less because it is only limited to objects, details and specific shadow areas, not to the general image as you try to affirm.

You're not playing the game in 400% zoomed mode.

This is the very next line after talking about the VRS:

In actual gameplay, I didn't find that the VRS was noticeable.

Dudes I'm sorry, it's looks like ass. I don't know what else you want me to say.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I wouldn't trust Tom 2.0.

He could have just as well not pointed it out if there was an agenda behind it.

Dudes I'm sorry, it's looks like ass. I don't know what else you want me to say.

Nothing lol, no one's asking for an explanation.

We just don't play games in 300~400% zoom and even the guy comparing it is saying it's not noticeable when playing the game. It's a minor detail at best.

-

The game has also always ran a few frames faster on PS5 since launch, while Xbox has always had a bit of a higher DRS, so those metrics are also pretty much the same.

VRS has been there in the game since it got the new-gen patch in 21'22.

The only thing new in this patch is that all consoles now have a lower resolution ceiling and the new areas they've added are taxing on performance for all of them.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I don't understand, what's the point of making the game run at a higher resolution if you're just going to ruin it with this shoddy VRS? The numbers/letters to the left behind the pyramid aren't even legible due to how much it butchers the IQ.
This effect was captured when he "panned the camera rapidly" and, he immediately follows by saying that it NOT noticeable during gameplay. That's probably why the effect was left in on Series X.

The engine obviously performs better on PS5's higher clocks, so if they can lift performance without degredating the visuals during gameplay on Series X and S by implementing VRS, why not.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Because when you play, your eyes only see the details of an object/specific darkes area and at specific times at 400% zoom and not the entire image... Correct?

🙃
When I play, I have a massive large screen and I tend to take in games by looking all over and not a specific spot at all times when it comes to flat screen gaming. So yes, one does notice the artifacts. Game breaker? No, but to have IQ issues and still lower performance, it wasn't the "holy grail" being propagated 3 years ago by brand fanatics. Stock AMD features are subpar in a world of DLSS or other studio's custom reconstruction.

MarkMe2525

You claim to not understand why the effect is utilized. It is explained that the negative attributes pictured are not visible during gameplay. You then double down.... 😆 😂 😆 🤡

GHG

You claim to not understand why the effect is utilized. It is explained that the negative attributes pictured are not visible during gameplay. You then double down.... 😆 😂 😆 🤡

So is this where we're at? You want to valiantly defend a technique that is quite literally an image quality destroyer?

Your loss my friend. You'd be better off if it weren't used at all but I guess in this case upholding the marketing is far more important than what our eyes can see.

This effect was captured when he "panned the camera rapidly" and, he immediately follows by saying that it NOT noticeable during gameplay. That's probably why the effect was left in on Series X.

There is no situation where panning the camera should result in that big a drop-off in IQ. Succinctly, please explain to me why you guys are not asking for them to remove it, or at the very least an option for the end-user to remove it?

Last edited:

Darsxx82

When I play, I have a massive large screen and I tend to take in games by looking all over and not a specific spot at all times when it comes to flat screen gaming. So yes, one does notice the artifacts. Game breaker? No, but to have IQ issues and still lower performance, it wasn't the "holy grail" being propagated 3 years ago by brand fanatics. Stock AMD features are subpar in a world of DLSS or other studio's custom reconstruction.

???
If you look at the general image and not details or objects in specific places......then the use of VRS should not be a problem for you, in fact it is created with that idea.

Also on a large screen you would detect or even celebrate an extra general sharpness rather than VRS artifacts in some specific detail or object that you would not even know how to define if it is a result of using VRS...... but OK, let's pretend to believe that you are ultra sensitive and part of that 0.1% of the population.

sinnergy

So is this where we're at? You want to valiantly defend a technique that is quite literally an image quality destroyer?

Your loss my friend. You'd be better off if it weren't used at all but I guess in this case upholding the marketing is far more important than what our eyes can see.
If used correctly, it’s a great performance boost, look at Gears 5.

Reactions: GHG

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
???
If you look at the general image and not details or objects in specific places......then the use of VRS should not be a problem for you, in fact it is created with that idea.

Also on a large screen you would detect or even celebrate an extra general sharpness rather than VRS artifacts in some specific detail or object that you would not even know how to define if it is a result of using VRS...... but OK, let's pretend to believe that you are ultra sensitive and part of that 0.1% of the population.
Ok.

Keep sticking up for subpar shit.

GHG

So is it safe to say they are not deploying the technique correctly here?

What happens if/when they fix it then? All these people who are currently defending what it results in ask for them to break it again?

Ok.

Keep sticking up for subpar shit.

Just don't look at the areas of the screen where the VRS is in action ok?

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
VRS is visible during gameplay, you are halving and in some case shading at quarter the resolution. How visible it is, is dependent on implementation and how aggressive you reduce the shading rate. You are sacrificing shading resolution for performance.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Yep. If you can't notice a difference when playing, it's working as intended.

Tier 2 VRS allowed Gears 5/Tactics to see an up to 14% boost in GPU perf with no perceptible impact to visual quality

TheShocker

I thought something looked off on Xbox in performance mode. Quality RT looks fantastic and will be how I play until VRS is disabled.

Darsxx82

Just don't look at the areas of the screen where the VRS is in action ok?
The joke is that you probably wouldn't know how to determine whether a game is using VRS or not if someone didn't tell you and show a comparative capture at 400%, but let's try to make people believe that the use of VRS causes retinal detachment.

Darsxx82

I thought something looked off on Xbox in performance mode. Quality RT looks fantastic and will be how I play until VRS is disabled.
VRS Is used un both modes. What you've probably noticed is that in performance mode the game runs at a lower average resolution and lacks the fidelity of RT shading.

MarkMe2525

There is no situation where panning the camera should result in that big a drop-off in IQ. Succinctly, please explain to me why you guys are not asking for them to remove it, or at the very least an option for the end-user to remove it?
I would be better off if they didn't use a technique that is not noticeable during gameplay? I need to succinctly explain why I am not asking Bethesda to remove something that is NOT noticeable during gameplay? A technique, which is not noticeable during gameplay, is a "image quality destroyer".

🤡 🤡 🤡

Amazing how such hyperbole can be derived from a visual artifact, that is only visible while "rapidly panning the camera" and pausing to capture an unresolved frame from the game.

Edit: I said Bethesda instead of CDPR. My bad, I was playing Starfield while typing this out.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

The joke is that you probably wouldn't know how to determine whether a game is using VRS or not if someone didn't tell you and show a comparative capture at 400%, but let's try to make people believe that the use of VRS causes retinal detachment.
You could use that argument on any image - unless you see a side by side comparison you may not realise. But that doesn't negate the fact, and it is a fact. That there's some image degradation going on with the technique on this example. Its Ok to debate if its actually noticeable or not. As many variables like panel quality, size and seating distance are going to have an impact. But on my 85" panel I'd be surprised if it didnt look better without. Historically I've seen similar type zoomed in comparison shots for AA techniques and your eye can usually pick up on it.

Top Bottom