• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty Benchmark Test & Performance Analysis Review (Raster / Ray Tracing / Path Tracing)

Leonidas

performance-1920-1080.png
performance-rt-1920-1080.png
performance-pt-1920-1080.png

Turn on RT and the 7900 XTX loses nearly 2/3 of it's frames (and loses to the 4070). Turn on path tracing and the 7900 XTX performs at only 10% of its raster performance (and is only 1/2 the speed of a 4070). With path tracing the $1000 7900 XTX even loses to the $299 RTX 4060.
RTX 4090 on the other hand keeps over half it's frames with RT and over 1/3 of it's frames with PT.

Last edited:

SABRE220

Jesus christ the state of amds rt tech....its losing badly to a damn 4060 in path tracing and a 3080 in simple rt. How unambitious must one be to allow stagnation on this level. They simply didnot invest in anything besides raster and simply put their head in the sand and said our current path is good enough despite their competitors actively investing in R&D and innovation. Hell even intel left them in the dust in rt and ml despite this being their first dedicated architecture...I wish I could say ive become apathetic to amds failure and downfall but sadly that would be a lie. Amd basically gutted ati to fuel its cpu sector and this is the result.

Last edited:

SABRE220

Cyberpunk RT runs uniquely bad on AMD hardware for whatever reason.

AMD does need to work on their RT performance, but this is an outlier.
Thats because this is easily the most comprehensive rt benchmark currently, most other games have gi limited to a single bounce or rt reflections but when the full suite of rt features are turned out amd starts sputtering and when pathtracing gets turned on....you can see portal etc and its not pretty.

GymWolf

I have 2 questions:

If i keep rtx reflections ON can i turn off ssr? or they mix for even better reflections?
Similar to the first question, if i turn ON overdrive mode, can i turn off rtx lights or they combine?

Last edited:

Leonidas

Jesus christ the state of amds rt tech....its losing badly to a damn 4060 in path tracing and a 3080 in simple rt. How unambitious must one be to allow stagnation on this level. They simply didnot invest in anything besides raster and simply put there head in the sand and said our current path is good enough despite their competitors actively investing in R&D and innovation. Hell even intel left them in the dust in rt and ml despite this being their first dedicated architecture...I wish I could say ive become apathetic to amds failure and downfall but sadly that would be a lie. Amd basically gutted ati to fuel its cpu sector and this is the result.
Wait for RDNA4 :goog_lol:

7900XTX loses to 2080 Ti with path tracing. That is nuts.
Yeah, insane to see the RTX 4060 outperform the 7900 XTX there too.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Why bother doing the gpu tests when its the CPU requirements that are the thing that has actually significantly changed with the dlc?

Last edited:

GymWolf

Mix for better reflections.

They combine, Overdrive takes the place of Pyscho lighting and RT shadows.

Wait, so how should i set things for best quality? rtx lights on ultra but not psycho, rtx shadows off and overdrive ON?

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Wait, so how should i set things for best quality? rtx lights on ultra but not psycho, rtx shadows off and overdrive ON?
The moment you turn on Overdrive mode the other settings disable

Overdrive turned on
32g2FJL.jpg

vs

Normal RT
Cyberpunk-2077-RT-Medium.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'm hoping my 3080 will get 30 fps with Path Tracing at 1440p with DLSS set to balanced.
It averages 27 fps at 1080p so I’m assuming 30 fps 960p internal for dlss balanced should be doable.

That was the case for me for cyberpunk pt.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
It averages 27 fps at 1080p so I’m assuming 30 fps 960p internal for dlss balanced should be doable.

That was the case for me for cyberpunk pt.
This is even more demanding than the base game keep that in mind.

Skifi28

Are the terrible artifacts and visual noise in PT fixed after the update? It was unplayable for me, but not due to performance.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I made the lonely Phantom Liberty performance/screenshot thread for those interested.

I NEED THIS FIX BOYS!

nikos

I just ran some benchmarks to figure out how I'm going to play when 2.0 releases. I'd like to stay out of the settings as much as possible.

I don't think Path Tracing is worth the performance hit. This game also has a ridiculous amount of latency, which feels bad.

3840x1600
DLSS - Quality
Frame Generation On
7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5, Gen 4 WD Black SN850X SSD

Max Settings / Ray Tracing Psycho
BF4ADIE.jpg

Max Settings / Path Tracing
lsvy4N1.jpg

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
This isn't even factoring in DLSS, which is not just a performance enhancement in this case but also a huge image quality enhancement for the path traced mode.

This is really THE showcase for nVidia's vision for the future of computer graphics. Crazy future tech that shouldn't be possible but with the help of DLSS run at really excellent speeds and quality, while running at an unplayable 15 fps on the top of the line AMD card.

nVidia bet big on RT and AI, and it didn't pay off for two generations, but now we can finally see it coming together, fully path-traced, next-gen games like Alan Wake II and Cyberpunk. The stuff that seemed impossible when Turing launched.

Buggy Loop

at worst it's just better-looking, at best it's that and a whole lot more performance
Ray Reconstruction, while still part of DLSS, is not necessarily about increasing performance, but it certainly does at the high-end. Where the path tracing mode of the game needs a lot of GPU resources, it utilises a lot of denoisers in the pipeline. With that step gone, I was seeing a serious boost in performance with the RTX 4090 I was using to test the feature.

On Overdrive, with the path tracing tech demo at 4K, and with DLSS set to Quality and Frame Generation set on, I was getting 69 fps on average. But with Ray Reconstruction enabled that leapt up to 103 fps simply from ditching that denoising step. That makes Ray Reconstruction an absolute must for high-end GPUs running ray tracing.

I was getting 69 fps on average. But with Ray Reconstruction enabled that leapt up to 103 fps simply from ditching that denoising step.

So can be barely a difference when the scenes had few denoisers, but when they had them stacked with the old ones, this ray reconstruction can see a massive 30 fps boost

Holy fuck

clap-surprised.gif

Nvidia is so many years ahead. AMD can't catch a fucking break

This is the first time in decades for a same API we have such a difference in image output between vendors. It doesn't even look like the same gen.

Buggy Loop

Ok as i tought, overdrive does absolutely nothing for me, i'm gonna play around to see if i change idea...

Some random pics
... *insert garbage phone pics*...
Yes i used my phone to take pics directly from my tv like a noob, deal with it :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Every time you'll be in indirect light situation like this

D1XwaaW.jpg

psx_20221126_181153ocerm.jpg

Or have characters around

CP5-2.jpg

CP9-2.jpg
CP4-2.jpg

You'll remember that you're playing in "old gen" mode. You'll end up enabling path tracing all the time.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Every time you'll be in indirect light situation like this

D1XwaaW.jpg

psx_20221126_181153ocerm.jpg

Or have characters around

CP5-2.jpg

CP9-2.jpg
CP4-2.jpg

You'll remember that you're playing in "old gen" mode. You'll end up enabling path tracing all the time.
Yeah, Overdrive really is a true next-gen renderer. With hybrid/partial RT (and on more limited hardware), I can see why people might opt for the high framerates, but Overdrive is actually delivering in the promise of RT

if you have a 4070Ti or better, and you can run this game at 90fps with all the bells and whistles, it's really the only way to go. I can't imagine going back.

Top Bottom