• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney CEO Iger: Marvel, Star Wars Movies Will Move to New Streaming Service in 2019

I don't know why people are mad at Disney though. They and they alone have the catalogue to justify it, if they actually put it all up. This isn't CBS or FX.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If they put their whole catalog up then I'd be more interested in this than Netflix.

If we get all the classic cartoons, all the Star Wars content, all of the Marvel content, all of the Disney and Disney XD stuff over the past 20 years that's a ton of shit for my family.

Sec0nd

I'd be kinda ok with a Disney service I guess. But I'm not going to pay for their services next to Netflix. Disney stuff I mostly watch in the cinemas anyway.

The shitty thing is though that it'll be successful anyway. Giving other studios the false hope that they can pull it off as well. Resulting in a million different streaming services. Very smart on Netflixes part to start focussing on original content.

mnannola

Consumers in 2015: "We hate cable, we are cutting the cord! Only Netflix and Hulu for me."

Consumers in 2020: "We hate cable, we are cutting the cord! Only Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Disney Movies, ESPN, HBO for me!"

mjc

Just when streaming was starting to even out, companies are looking to segment it again. Do they realize that people won't sub to all of them?

Funny how cord cutting has kind of led to this power vacuum. Feel like we're reaching the point where we've traded terrible cable packages to an ever growing and absurd amount of streaming services.

Said this in another thread..everything folks thought they wanted is happening, and now they're losing their shit about it lol.

I don't know why people are mad at Disney though. They and they alone have the catalogue to justify it, if they actually put it all up. This isn't CBS or FX.

That new Star Trek tho..😂

gamma

Don't get why people are whining about this or saying cable is sounding better again. This is exactly what we wanted, competition. You can subscribe to what you want and leave the stuff you don't want.

Sanjuro

ESPN will be broadcasting NHL games again?!!

We get to hear this again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PReim0Axt4

giphy.gif

SeanTSC

Nope. I'm out. I'm not going to sub for another service, I can't afford it.

Keep fragmenting this stuff and people are just going to go back to pirating.

Don't get why people are whining about this or saying cable is sounding better again. This is exactly what we wanted, competition. You can subscribe to what you want and leave the stuff you don't want.

Exactly. People wanted it? They got it..so now they hate it lol.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Damn, I really like watching Marvel and Star Wars stuff on Netflix... guess i'll have to rent good old DVDs/Blurays starting 2019 since i don't really care about their other stuff.

Pastry

Banned
Hard pass.

I watch Disney content if it's available on Netflix because it's available on Netflix. Won't be going out of my way to subscribe to Disney.

I am interested to know how this will affect services like Sky that have LOADS of Disney content. Their Star Wars channel (temporary but still) is starting soon, for example. Will they just be gone from there? They also have all the Disney kids channels.

Anyway, a service dedicated to Disney seems cool.

It really isn't completion between services when you're choosing between entire historical libraries of film studios rather than say, pricing and features. Disney's service could be overpriced and shit quality, but if it's the only service in existence to stream Disney, Marvel, and Lucasfilm content there's really not much room for consumer choice. And this only emboldens Universal, Fox, Warner, Sony, Paranount, etc.. to try it themselves.

The only way I can see to make it competitive (or at least somewhat appealing to my own tastes) is to include Hulu-like as-free episode streaming for all Disney owned networks like ABC, Disney XD, and so on. Even then I’d be hesitant.

I don't know why people are mad at Disney though. They have the catalogue to justify it. This isn't CBS or FX.

That's what I don't get. Of all the companies with a stake in streaming, Disney are by far the most justified in having their own service. Warner Bros would be great too (do it plz wb).

I'm not signing up for any more streaming services. I have Netflix, HBO, Crunchyroll, Amazon Prime. Even listing those out makes me want to cut back.

What's the endgame for this kind of proliferation?

Cruxist

Price is key here.

I wonder if Ducktales, Rescue Rangers, Darkwing, Aladdin, etc... from the classic Disney Channel will be on here?

That's what I don't get. Of all the companies with a stake in streaming, Disney are by far the most justified in having their own service. Warner Bros would be great too (do it plz wb).
They're sort of doing it with all their DC content. Small steps but maybe in the future all WB content will be in one place.

I'm not signing up for any more streaming services. I have Netflix, HBO, Crunchyroll, Amazon Prime. Even listing those out makes me want to cut back.

What's the endgame for this kind of proliferation?

Realising how much it's costing each month and saying 'fuck this''.

Like someone said above, I'd guess that lots of the smaller ones will get sucked up by the big guys, and maybe their packages will get rolled in (they won't, they'll have different tiers then :D)

shira

If they put their whole catalog up then I'd be more interested in this than Netflix.

If we get all the classic cartoons, all the Star Wars content, all of the Marvel content, all of the Disney and Disney XD stuff over the past 20 years that's a ton of shit for my family.
It's too bad. It was amazing having everything in one spot for a few ywars

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!

Yeah... don't get it.

Before: Enjoy all these Lucasfilm, Marvel, Pixar, Disney movies! Just $19.99 each.

Consumers: Yes!

Now: Enjoy all these Lucasfilm, Marvel, Pixar, Disney movies! Just $9.99/month.

Consumers: Fuck that!

People want alternatives to Netflix that compete with each other and force each other to improve, not Netflix to splinter into 20 different $10/month services with no content overlap.

Exactly, this isnt better. Anyway, im not interested either way. Disney movies were a "nice to have", not a necessity. Keep your service Disney.

Even the marvel stuff on Netflix has gotten progressively worse.

Rick1o1

I don't like where all this is going. In my country (the Netherlands) I can't watch game of thrones because it's exclusive to an isp I can't get in the area where I live. If something like this is going to happen with Disney and I won't be able to see marvel or star wars I will lose my shit.

Can you imagine if in a few years one of these companies announce they won't be releasing dvd's or bluray's anymore and you can only watch by subscribing to their streaming service? It won't happen any time soon but I guess it will be inevitable at some point.

Consumers in 2015: "We hate cable, we are cutting the cord! Only Netflix and Hulu for me."

Consumers in 2020: "We hate cable, we are cutting the cord! Only Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Disney Movies, ESPN, HBO for me!"

If they want all that content, then yes? It's better than half of what you want not being available at all because the entire media industry can't sustain itself on 20$ a month.

If Netflix really was to become he one stop shop for everything, it's sub would be as expensive as a cable bill.

Idk, to me the dream of streaming was that everything would be on-demand and commercial free, not that it would be cheaper. Nobody should have expected it to be cheaper in the long run.

kswiston

Exactly, this isnt better. Anyway, im not interested either way. Disney movies were a "nice to have", not a necessity. Keep your service Disney.

This is going to mop up with families though. If I can be guaranteed to have all of Disney's animated films in one place, without worrying about stuff disappearing in 6 months, I can stop buying blurays for my kid.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It's too bad. It was amazing having everything in one spot for a few ywars

We never had this all in one spot for a few years. That's the misnomer.

We never actually had access to the amount of shit Disney could pull from the vaults.

This is going to mop up with families though. If I can ne guaranteed to have all of Disney's animated films in one place, without worrying about stuff disappearing in 6 months, I csn stop buying blurays for my kid.

Thats if they dont alternate movies in and out of their service so that you keep logging in to see "whats new". I guarantee you they will do that. They wont just put everything in there forever.

Slayven

This is going to mop up with families though. If I can be guaranteed to have all of Disney's animated films in one place, without worrying about stuff disappearing in 6 months, I can stop buying blurays for my kid.

You just want to watch Bonkers again

hqdefault.jpg

I hope they remake or make sequels to some old classics that I loved as a kid like Homeward Bound. Since it's not going to a big blockbuster movie and exclusive to the service, then maybe we're in luck.

Thats if they dont alternate movies in and out of their service so that you keep logging in to see "whats new". I guarantee you they will do that. They wont just put everything in there forever.

I don't see why they would? They pump out enough content for actual new things to constantly be in a "what's new" section.

Top Bottom