• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney CEO Iger: Marvel, Star Wars Movies Will Move to New Streaming Service in 2019

Disney you're big enough why do you have to make a move into your own streaming service

you already have all the money

For a corporation, there's no such thing as enough money. Ever.

Also, everyone that wanted an a-la-carte future? This is it. I hope you're happy with it. It was never going to be individual channels at individual prices, or pick and choose from different corporations (Viacom, Disney, Universal, etc.).

Bigfoot

Yeah... don't get it.

Before: Enjoy all these Lucasfilm, Marvel, Pixar, Disney movies! Just $19.99 each.

Consumers: Yes!

Now: Enjoy all these Lucasfilm, Marvel, Pixar, Disney movies! Just $9.99/month.

Consumers: Fuck that!

As long as it really is $9.99 a month and also includes some good TV shows, I'm probably in. If the ESPN package is reasonable too, I'll finally cancel cable.

gamma

It really isn't completion between services when you're choosing between entire historical libraries of film studios rather than say, pricing and features. Disney's service could be overpriced and shit quality, but if it's the only service in existence to stream Disney, Marvel, and Lucasfilm content there's really not much room for consumer choice. And this only emboldens Universal, Fox, Warner, Sony, Paranount, etc.. to try it themselves.

The choice then would be to not subscribe to it, forcing Disney to improve on price or features. Sure, it would be better if they licensed their stuff to whoever wants it but you can't force them to do that.

Same ol, same ol. How did people not think this was the end game?

No clue. And considering Disney is the largest beast out there when it comes to popular content, what else did people think was gonna happen? I'm likely not jumping on, but I'm doubting that's gonna hurt them much.

Kids shows alone will make this work for them. Now, add them princesses..

Good, that means netflix will have more money for original content and not be paying for stupid super hero shit.

9v68YaU.gif

Good luck with that..

Already prepping for this departure.

Because they sell DVDs and Blurays. If they just put everything in the service, no one will buy the dvds.

These threads should be proof that a lot of people still will. Collectors and videophiles certainly will. Shit, I'll probably keep buying the SW blurays on top of the sub myself.

plainr_

It's all nahs, nopes, and fuck-thats now, but when Brink! and Johnny Tsunami are on, ya'll be on this shit quick.

I really don't mind this. One of the things that people complained about with cable is that you end up paying tens and tens, or hundreds of dollars for a bunch of channels you don't give a shit about. The more content gets pooled in one place - Netflix, Amazong, Hulu, wherever - the more this will become a problem in streaming, with people's subscriptions subsidising the licensing costs of stuff they'll never watch. It might be a bit of a pain to maintain and manage lots of subscriptions, but it does make it more of a "free" decision regarding value for money on any given service. It's not like you aren't going to be paying for it if it's all on Netflix, only that way you get no choice as to whether you pay for it. It's now up to Netflix to either prove their subscription money is worth it after this existing content leaves (either by replacing it or lowering the cost), or not.

DOWN

Banned
I’m not interested in his future where I have to keep subscribing and unsubscribing to services multiple times a year to see the shows and movie selections I want because every media company thinks they can make a streaming service

Silexx

No thanks, don’t need another paid streaming service on my bill, preferred they stayed on Netflix

This is why I think cable companies aren't quite going to die off. This kind of fragmentation is going to have consumers wanting a consolidated service where they can watch content from all across the board once Netflix won't be that answer anymore.

Rival

Gold Member
Any Disney / Marvel movie that I would want to watch again I'm likely already going to own so yeah I'm not paying for another service.

I really don't mind this. One of the things that people complained about with cable is that you end up paying tens and tens, or hundreds of dollars for a bunch of channels you don't give a shit about. The more content gets pooled in one place - Netflix, Amazong, Hulu, wherever - the more this will become a problem in streaming, with people's subscriptions subsidising the licensing costs of stuff they'll never watch. It might be a bit of a pain to maintain and manage lots of subscriptions, but it does make it more of a "free" decision regarding value for money on any given service. It's not like you aren't going to be paying for it if it's all on Netflix, only that way you get no choice as to whether you pay for it. It's now up to Netflix to either prove their subscription money is worth it after this existing content leaves (either by replacing it or lowering the cost), or not.

So far a la carte hasn't and won't save me money. Disney splintering off into another branch is just $15 more bucks a month for me. I won't be able to reduce a service when Disney does this.

Considering the state of streaming with ESPN I'm not sure I can trust Disney to reliably deliver Netflix quality service on any device.

We'll see.

I'm sure it'll be successful because of children and the unholy union of Disney, Star Wars, and Marvel fanatics. And I wouldn't be shocked if Disney tries some hook like putting original theatrical Star Wars movies on it.

It's not for me and that's OK. Don't think I watch Disney stuff on Netflix as is, if you don't count Netflix Marvel. I get the slippery slope problem but whatever. Doubt there'll ever be a great loss from avoiding these services.

I’m not interested in his future where I have to keep subscribing and unsubscribing to services multiple times a year to see the shows and movie selections I want because every media company thinks they can make a streaming service

Basically. If a la carte becomes too splintered the costs are no better than the cable I'm currently paying for.

FLEABttn

Banned
oh cool, more shitty streaming services to further fragment the market. Can't wait for everyone to pull their content and try to make their own streaming service. This era inbetween cable TV and internet TV is gonna SUCK

The era between cable TV and internet TV was when it was just Netflix and Hulu. This is the era of internet TV.

Elandyll

Banned
Disney joining CBS (probably soon extended to Paramount with all the Trek stuff on there), with MGM following suite (Stargate, probably eventually joined by Bond movies and a few others) and eventually every single studio will have its own sub service (and every game Publisher/ Studio its own version of EA Access).

I probably won't be able to skip the Disney one though: Star Wars, Indy, Marvel, all the Disney cartoons/ movies...

That's the future people!

WB Online: LotR, DC, Harry Potter, The Matrix...
Disney Access: Classic Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Marvel...
CBS/ Paramount All Access: Star Trek, Mission Impossible, Transformers, Terminator...
MGM aceess: Bond movies, Stargate,
Fox Online: Avatar, XMen, Alien, Die Hard...
Sony Columbia Online: Men in Black, Ghostbusters, Spider Man, Carolco stuff (bound to be rebooted again), tons of acclaimed tv series...
Universal Access: Monsters, Jurassic World, Fast& Furious, Jason Bourne...

Obviously some are better positionned than others here.

While I have little to no interest in Universal, Sony or Paramount (aside from the darn Star Trek series) and even Warner to a point, it would be hard for me to ignore Disney or Fox.

There's a reason Netflix share prices fell when they announced this. This service could really hurt Netflix.

Their content for children alone is completely unmatched. Throw in Marvel and Disney movies, they will have the most desirable content to the mainstream.

You got Apple and Facebook also getting involved. Its going to get a bit splintered but Disney can rise above it all since they have the most prized possessions by far.

Good. Maybe they can stop raising the price on an annual basis. I share similar sentiments as others. There are so many different streaming services at this point, it's losing the appeal on top of the prices consistently getting higher.

Obviously if there is one company that can make it work this late, it's Disney. They have a ludicrous amount of content.

Why do folks keep comparing this to cable... where on Cable can you watch entire seasons/series and specific giant catalogues of movies whenever you want?

It's too bad it's not all under Netflix or something I know but this is still better than watch a fraction of what you want when and only when they want you to watch it.

mreddie

Why do folks keep comparing this to cable... where on Cable can you watch entire seasons/series and specific giant catalogues of movies whenever you want?

It's too bad it's not all under Netflix or something I know but this is still better than watch a fraction of what you want when and only when they want you to watch it.

To some, all the online streaming stuff + cost of internet already adds up to what people are spending on cable.

Zenner

Much like movie studios are not supposed to own theater chains, these new production companies should not be their own exclusive outlets. Well, just my opinion, anyway.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

To some, all the online streaming stuff + cost of internet already adds up to what people are spending on cable.

In terms of pricing, but I agree with excelsiorlef in that what you are potentially getting access to is VASTLY different.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I'm not a fan of this approach. I'll never subscribe to a publisher-specific service, at least not for catalog movies and shows.

Top Bottom