• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Plus is increasing its prices and adding add supported tier.

Will you keep Disney Plus?

• Total voters

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Disney have beaten Netflix in launching an ad supported model of its Disney+ streaming service.

The price increase is timed with the ad supported tier, which will cost $7.99. The ad-free version, meanwhile, will rise to $10.99.

As for Hulu, it will jump $2 per month, rising from $12.99 to $14.99 on October 10. Meanwhile, the ad-supported verion will rise from $6.99 to $7.99.

The price hikes come amid strong subscriber increases for Disney+, which rose to 151 million subscriptions. However, those increases have been tempered by large losses. According to Disney's financials released today, Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ have combined to lose $1.1 billion.
https://www.ign.com/articles/disney-plus-and-hulu-are-both-getting-price-hikes

I assume this price hike will hit other regions soon enough. I'm also not sure how the ads will work? Will it be in the middle of a show, or a few ads at the start?

It's interesting that they have losses of over a billion dollars as well. I'm really not sure how this works, but did Disney anticipate losses when they started the service, which is why the cost of entry was low from the beginning?

Personally, I quit the service because the majority of the MCU and Star Wars stuff isn't for me. It wasn't value for money. Will you keep the service with the increase, or will you accept the ad supported tier?

Last edited:

Tieno

I'm gonna stick around for another year It's still not that expensive for me at 10$
Though it does depend on the shows and movies they release. The marvel and star wars stuff they put out is not that high quality story telling wise, especially compared to the premium content on netflix, hbo, prime video or apple tv.

Last edited:

wondermega

That's a bummer. Honestly if they had more content "for me" I wouldn't really bat an eyelash, but all the new Marvel stuff is looking pretty uninteresting (and pretty far out). I'll give She Hulk a shot (the 1980s comics were funny) but if it is lame I am happy to just let the subscription expire. Maybe I can re-sub when the next Loki is on... As for Hulu, I will keep it around a but longer. We'll see. There's only that much TV I care to watch, and most of it is on Apple, Netflix & Hbo Max these days.

Cyberpunkd

It's interesting that they have losses of over a billion dollars as well. I'm really not sure how this works, but did Disney anticipate losses when they started the service, which is why the cost of entry was low from the beginning?
Exactly, same as Uber burning money since Day 1 in hopes of destroying the taxi industry and gaining monopoly power. Now they have to raise prices or go out of business taxis are actually cheaper than Uber rides.

i pay 40 english pounds a year for netflix, amazon, disney plus, bbc, sky through iptv, fook paying there prices.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
i pay 40 english pounds a year for netflix, amazon, disney plus, bbc, sky through iptv, fook paying there prices.
Not sure how it is there, but here in the states it is INFINITELY cheaper to just pay for the streaming services you want instead of paying for the absurd cables prices.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Inevitable. I just cancelled some other streaming services and I prefer the D+/ESPN/Hulu/live News/ bundle anyways so I am good.

Honestly i can see piracy increasing again over the next 5 years with inflation and how things are going and having more and more streaming services out there...but who knows. For now i'll stay.

AJUMP23

D+ is included with one of our cellular plans so I pay for it indirectly. If I pad for it I would cancel.

IDKFA

Not sure how it is there, but here in the states it is INFINITELY cheaper to just pay for the streaming services you want instead of paying for the absurd cables prices.

I don't know how they're doing it, but £40 a year for all those services is far too cheap. It costs well over £40 a month for Sky, Netflix, Amazon, Disney and the BBC via a TV licence in the UK.

Drew1440

Disregard streaming, return to cable

Seriously you might as well stick with a cable Dvr at this point, until Disney start shutting their own linear channels down in favour of their services. They already closed down Disney channel and Fox in the UK, and Disney+ is only on Sky, not on Virgin Media or BT Youview.

So they first provide a semi-good service with no adds and a price, they think they hooked you up...

And now they start tracing cocaine with flour? Is that it?

Ads are the equivalent of having voices in your head after doing LSD.

FunkMiller

Honestly i can see piracy increasing again over the next 5 years with inflation and how things are going and having more and more streaming services out there...but who knows. For now i'll stay.

Some of these streaming services are going to go to the wall. Not Disney or Amazon, because billions in the bank. But the rest of them? No one’s guaranteed to stick around.

MastaKiiLA

I literally just subbed to Disney minutes before this thread was created. I like the SW and Marvel content. So paying 10.99 for a service I know I'll use is fine. I'm forced to use a VPN to access the app though, because Disney are dicks in Thailand.

I'll be going Netflix, Disney, and AppleTV. ~$35 per month makes me feel like I'm being frugal, while still indulging. Though I might alternate some runs of HBO and Prime, to round it up to $50. The problem is not enough time in the day to watch all the content on these services. At some point, you're just wasting money.

In Canada, it's the only legal way I can watch The Orville, so I'll keep it for now (ad free version).

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I literally just subbed to Disney minutes before this thread was created. I like the SW and Marvel content. So paying 10.99 for a service I know I'll use is fine. I'm forced to use a VPN to access the app though, because Disney are dicks in Thailand.

I'll be going Netflix, Disney, and AppleTV. ~$35 per month makes me feel like I'm being frugal, while still indulging. Though I might alternate some runs of HBO and Prime, to round it up to $50. The problem is not enough time in the day to watch all the content on these services. At some point, you're just wasting money.

Yup. Now I really keep tabs on all these subscriptions and what comes out without you even thinking about it.

Lasha

I cancelled renewal on my annual subscription. Netflix spent a lot of money funding shows in Asia and getting the Asian rights to popular American and European shows in it's early days. Disney's lineup doesn't really compare. Especially if you aren't super into SW or MCU. I thought Disney+ would be a hit with my kids but they never want to watch.

Cyberpunkd

Disney+ is heaven if you have small kids. I personally don’t give a damn about Marvel, and all the Starz crap. Netflix is infinitely better when it comes to new content although the amount of Asian stuff is a bit too much.

RAÏSanÏa

It's still well below cable, even with a couple subs, and is entirely on demand.

It still feels like these subs allow a person to support the networks and shows a person wants without subsidizing networks and shows they don't want to like on cable.

Hari Seldon

I'm probably stuck with it but since I give zero fucks about any of the content on there I'll probably just drop to the free tier and my kids can deal with the ads lmao.

AJUMP23

How is Piracy in Thailand, digital piracy. Do they enforce copyrights, or is it free reign.

Also are there real pirates in Thailand attacking shipping lanes?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
it was only a matter of time before they hiked the price. they set it so low to get people on board. they have 152 million subscribers now so it's time to milk them for all they're worth (until the next price hike because "inflation").

i don't mind ad tiers but i'm not paying for it lol. that shit better be free.

anyway, i don't use Disney+ much. only joined when new Star Wars shit is out. I subbed for Mando S1 + S2 and Obi Wan. I don't see myself joining again any time soon.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont have Disney+. I dont even watch NF half the time I share with my brother.

Going strictly on the marketing, Disney's biggest content is cartoons, National Geo, Marvel, Star Wars. Of course there's other content and series.

Personally, none of that interests me at all. Crazy as it seems, Nat Geo would be the biggest draw for my tastes. I enjoy watching nature shit like Planet Earth.

I find it amazing it's losing money since they ramped up to 150M subs fast. Sounds like it should be a goldmine. The content they show they own too, so it's not like other services where they pay for access. On paper it should be profit city. But I guess the costs to make all their superhero and SW series costs a ton???? So it makes them go into the red.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Disney isn't exactly pumping out Star Wars content. I expect the drain is the Marvel stuff. They need to calm the fuck down with that. If I liked super hero movies I'd be sick of them by now. I mean if it was Star Wars movies/shows getting shit out for fun I'd be real tired of Star Wars.

Last edited:

Blade2.0

it honestly doesnt have much i want to watch. i've already seen every marvel film and star wars stuff on it i want to. they don't have that great of a catalogue, honestly. i'm already burnt out on most of their movies and films and they dont make enough OG content for it. I did watch Lightyear recently and it was alright, nothing amazing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's almost as if "sustainable" isn't good enough on sub services, and they need to eventually raise prices and have ad compensation to profit.

MastaKiiLA

It's still well below cable, even with a couple subs, and is entirely on demand.

It still feels like these subs allow a person to support the networks and shows a person wants without subsidizing networks and shows they don't want to like on cable.
That and getting in and out of these services is literally a click of a button. It's not phone calls and going into sweaty call centers to return equipment. It's not a wild 6-8 hour window for installations and repairs. Get in, binge on the updated portions of the catalog, and then unsub again until you get the itch. Cable was/is terrible. Comcast was the bane of my existence. Such a shitty company, because they had a monopoly in any district they serviced. And just to get the 1 sports channel I needed for F1 races, my cable bill was over $100. Absolutely brutal.

IDKFA

anyway, i don't use Disney+ much. only joined when new Star Wars shit is out. I subbed for Mando S1 + S2 and Obi Wan. I don't see myself joining again any time soon.

I here this a lot. "I'll sub for (series/film) then quit". I wonder if providers will soon cotton on to this and treat it like a gym contact? Sign up for a low monthly price, but it's a 12 month minimum contact.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I here this a lot. "I'll sub for (series/film) then quit". I wonder if providers will soon cotton on to this and treat it like a gym contact? Sign up for a low monthly price, but it's a 12 month minimum contact.
I'm sure they will, $49.99 a month, or $10.99 a month if you pay annually.

Top Bottom