• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Plus is increasing its prices and adding add supported tier.

Will you keep Disney Plus?

• Total voters

Reallink

I here this a lot. "I'll sub for (series/film) then quit". I wonder if providers will soon cotton on to this and treat it like a gym contact? Sign up for a low monthly price, but it's a 12 month minimum contact.

No need to, they destroyed their own subsciber gain estimates and will no doubt do it again with massive ad revenue and higher sub fees as cherries on top. People go online and talk shit about canceling services, and not only never do it, they sub 3 more. Entertainment companies could burn down the aggregate masses homes and they'd still sign up on their mobiles

Last edited:

lachesis

All these subscription prices just goes up - that it feels like it went back to having cable TV.
I'm cancelling it. Probably rejoin for a month when there's a content that I want to watch.

Jennings

I let my subscription run out in May, but after hearing this news I tried to go check my account profile. They won't let me access my personal or payment info unless I turn my subscription back on, and Live Support basically tells me I can either subscribe or fuck off.

squallheart

I see no value in the service so after the year I paid is up I'm just canceling. If I really want to watch something I'll add it to my server xD

Fbh

Haven't been subscribed for a while and this isn't going to make me change that decision.

Out of all the major streaming services Disney + is probably the one that appeals the least to me. The novelty of MCU/Star Wars shows has long worn off, and it doesn't help that most of them have been average at best

Last edited:

Jaybe

I’m not even subscribed to any video streaming service. Been on some or shared an account previously though, so most of the big movies/series I’ve already seen. I doubt I would ever stay continuously subscribed again. Would rather simply wait for a few big series to stack up then pay for a month and binge it.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Yeah for those of us with kids too it’s definitely still worth it unlike Netflix which keeps losing content at a steady pace.
I have the bundle with all the other stuff. That thing has been a godsend. Saved me God knows how much by letting me get rid of my outrageous cable bill.

MacReady13

Good old sub services. The future we ALL want and need. These multi billion dollar companies just keep raising their prices (or else they insert ads)... I'll stick to buying what I want to watch and keep it in my library, much like I have with The Simpsons where I'm free to watch every episode ever released on physical media.

MrMephistoX

I have the bundle with all the other stuff. That thing has been a godsend. Saved me God knows how much by letting me get rid of my outrageous cable bill.
Me too even though I don’t really watch ESPN+ much it’s good for when my parents or friends are over and the Hulu LIVE TV plus Hulu combo is really what puts it over the top. Netflix kind of can’t compete with that HBO Max was close but seems their new Discovery Overlords are anti streaming for originals

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol 151 million users and still a $1 billion loss. Hilarious how everyone wants to get into streaming when the profit margins are so low despite such high engagement numbers.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I am Groot.

Couldn't agree more.

lol 151 million users and still a $1 billion loss. Hilarious how everyone wants to get into streaming when the profit margins are so low despite such high engagement numbers.

That's the problem with these subscription services competing with each other. To keep people subscribed they need to keep adding regular content, but it can't just be any content. People now except top tier, movie quality content with high production values. That costs a lot of money, especially to churn out on a regular basis.

The only way they're going to be profitable is if they up the prices.

I'm shocked that I still pay £7.99 a month for Amazon prime. Not only do I get pretty decent TV, but I also get free next day delivery. It's a steal at that price, but I know sooner or later Amazon will up the cost, especially then they're blowing a billion on one TV show.

Jaybe

Good old sub services. The future we ALL want and need. These multi billion dollar companies just keep raising their prices (or else they insert ads)... I'll stick to buying what I want to watch and keep it in my library, much like I have with The Simpsons where I'm free to watch every episode ever released on physical media.
Nice, you probably have access to the D+ censored Michael Jackson episode. Another good reason to own the content. Especially with ‘modern sensibilities’ pervading media.

zombrex

I never see any point in these services rather than subscribing for a month to watch the shows you want and then cancelling.

I don't want to derail bringing the service that should not be named. Even the CEO of Discovery said something about the streaming services and it's effect on Theatrical releases.

I have seen some speculation that MTXs could even come to the streaming services:

You gonna get the first 3 episodes, then weakly releases but if you want to binge them, you can pay to "unlock" the next episode.

Quasicat

it was only a matter of time before they hiked the price. they set it so low to get people on board. they have 152 million subscribers now so it's time to milk them for all they're worth (until the next price hike because "inflation").

i don't mind ad tiers but i'm not paying for it lol. that shit better be free.

anyway, i don't use Disney+ much. only joined when new Star Wars shit is out. I subbed for Mando S1 + S2 and Obi Wan. I don't see myself joining again any time soon.
I’m right there with you. It looks like Andor and the Bad Batch season 2 will be done in November, so I will watch them in December. Then take a few months off until season 3 of the Mandolorian finished up in late March/early April. I normally subscribe to Disney+ for 2 months out of the year depending on their Star Wars and Muppet additions.

sol_bad

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised about advert tiers, cable companies had to role in adverts as well. People act like these streaming services are "free money" to these companies but they really aren't. A hell of a lot of money goes into running these services and producing content for them.

Kagey K

Banned
I probably get the most value out of D+, it and Prime are really the only services I need.

Currently watching Hill Street Blues, NYPD Blue and X Files on it.

Netflix became useless to me a long time ago.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised about advert tiers, cable companies had to role in adverts as well. People act like these streaming services are "free money" to these companies but they really aren't. A hell of a lot of money goes into running these services and producing content for them.
Then let it be reflected in the final price of the service.

sol_bad

Then let it be reflected in the final price of the service.

Disney+ was never going to stay at $6usd or whatever it started at. You'd be a fool to think it would.

It started at a low cost as they didn't have much content in production. As more and more projects were being made for the service it was inevitable for the price to increase.

Neolombax

I'd cancel it. Im actually already thinking about it now. Nothing is attractive to watch, I can live without star wars and mcu for now. Apart from that there really is nothing else to watch for me personally

Banjo64

cumsessed
In the UK over the past month second hand market places have been selling 12 months of Disney Plus for £18-27. These are legitimate codes from a Samsung promotion and can be redeemed at any point until mid-2023.

I’d never pay full price, but I paid £27 for a year.

Cyberpunkd

It started at a low cost as they didn't have much content in production. As more and more projects were being made for the service it was inevitable for the price to increase.
This was never about the amount of content in production. As all other streaming services it was designed to be artificially low with ‘bait and switch’ scenario. Exactly the same as what Uber did.

I guarantee there will be millions of households completely oblivious to the price they are paying, and not caring about it at all. That’s fair, but it doesn’t change the idea.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
The next step is to give windows of availability for hit shows so you CAN'T just binge the entire library in a month, the monthly tier will be gimped compared to an annual sub.

Alandring

In Switzerland, Disney+ currently cost 130 CHF/year and Netflix nearly 300 CHF/year. And I use more Disney+ than Netflix (and they don't plan to fight against account sharing). So if I had to cancel something, it wouldn't be Disney+.

This’ll kill my sub. There are too many ads around. I was raised watching the BBC which doesn’t have ads during shows or for products so it is really jarring for me to have them in content I’m already paying for.

Javthusiast

Banned
I legit wouldn't be subbed to the service for as long as I have been if it weren't for all the Fox and Hulu content on D+ here in the Star section.

If it was like the US, only Disney content, then I would sub for a month here and there and then cancel once I watched what I wanted.

RPS37

What’s the discount for annual?
I just paid 80 I think last year.

Edit: holy shit $110/yr? That’s gonna hurt a bit when it comes around.

Last edited:
I may get it again if there's another series I'm interested in. I thought Obi-Wan Kenobi would be way longer, The Mandalorian bores me, no desire to watch the book of boba, already seen everything Marvel, some shit owned by Disney isn't even on there but on other streaming services which is insane.

After cancelling D+ all I have is Prime and that's mostly for the free shipping.

And LotR show next month, which I was sure will happen with price increase for Prime - ding ding.

I got another year of Prime before the price hike. I'm seriously thinking about cancelling before renewing next year. Just for the principle of it.

I can live without these greedy corporate goons. Every time I cancel a service because of a hike I say that as the reason. Not that it'll do any good but whatever

nocsi

So when are people gonna go back to pirating? Did the “convenience” of streaming wear off yet? They rope you in cheap and will increase prices once there’s a subscriber base. The content they produce already resembles a feeding trough and only appeals to those that want mindless content anyways. I expect more consumers to jump ship and go back to pirating. Same thoughts on game pass.

sol_bad

So when are people gonna go back to pirating? Did the “convenience” of streaming wear off yet? They rope you in cheap and will increase prices once there’s a subscriber base. The content they produce already resembles a feeding trough and only appeals to those that want mindless content anyways. I expect more consumers to jump ship and go back to pirating. Same thoughts on game pass.

Piracy will never be curbed. I doubt the majority of pirates even signed up to streaming services. The majority of them seem to think that they should only have to pay for internet access and then everything else should be free. The majority of pirates can more than likely easily afford to sub to 2-6 streaming services but already actively choose not to. The pirates that I know are in those categories anyway.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
And LotR show next month, which I was sure will happen with price increase for Prime - ding ding.

Forgot about that. From September my monthly Prime membership goes up from £7.99 to £8.99. However, as it's only a £1 increase and I still get free next day delivery, I still think its value for money. If it wasn't for the next day delivery I'd probably have dropped it long ago.

This statement irks the shit out of me

"“We read demand. We have no plans right now in terms of what we’re going to do, but we operate with a surgical knife here,” Chapek said. “It’s all up to the consumer. If consumer demand keeps up, we’ll act accordingly. If we see a softening, which we don’t think we’re going to see, then we can act accordingly as well.”

I'd love for everyone to say Fuck you and cancel for one month, and watch the backreading that happens. That'll never happen, but stuff like that pisses me off. That statement should doom them to fail, or at least flail around finding a solution.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

I’m not even sure how we get Disney+, I think maybe through our cell phone plan? We definitely don’t have a separate bill for it

Top Bottom